News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Heavy Weapon Squads in Chimeras a viable tactic now?  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Heavy Weapon Squads in Chimeras a viable tactic now?
« on: July 12, 2012, 02:46:51 PM »
OK, getting them into one in the first place can be a pain.

But...now that the rules have changed, many of the old disadvantages of putting a HWS into a transport are gone.  Being shaken and stunned will not stop them firing...and they can fire on the move, even when going at cruising speed.

A HB squad...in a chimera with a heavy stubber...this could throw out a ton of firepower...for only modest points.

Offline Bobby P

Re: Heavy Weapon Squads in Chimeras a viable tactic now?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 07:50:50 PM »
The Chimera and HWS combo costs 140 with stubber

For 150 you could take a unit of vets with 3x Gl's and an AC or HB in a chimera. This unit would be more durable and more versatile whilst still doing the job that the chimera and 3x HB's would do and only being 10 points more.

This doesnt mean that the chimera and HWS combo wont work but its just that we can skin the cat so many different ways

EDIT : Also the vets wouldnt have the transportation issue's the the HWS would have

Offline wper34

• Echo! Echo! Echo! Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • What? ~nyo
Re: Heavy Weapon Squads in Chimeras a viable tactic now?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »
For 150 you could take a unit of vets with 3x Gl's and an AC or HB in a chimera. This unit would be more durable and more versatile whilst still doing the job that the chimera and 3x HB's would do and only being 10 points more.

True that there more bodies & more flexible than the HWS... But that said unit combo cannot shoot further than 24" + 6" (vehicle movement) which is what I believe Land Rover Tangi is trying to get at with mass hvy weps.

Other than that though, I think Bobby P's idea is probably better for a mobile mech firepower unit. Being able to fire snapshot does not necessary mean that it would make our HWS any better at providing mobile firepower. If I am looking for mobile firepower, I would take a look at spec wep squads with 3 GLs myself. They are cheaper & can get the job done. (Plus 2 units of them only cost about 100 pts in comparison to the said Vets)

In my opinion, snapshooting is only a desperate option/move. It is often better to give HWS a good position so that they can ditch out lots of firepower over the course of the game. In this 6th edition, moving them (or a part of them) & having to snapshot should be treated as a defensive maneuver to avoid possible enemy assault. That or move the HWS into a better position for shooting as a part of offensive strategy when the enemy decides to hide or play defense.

Sentinel Commander of 34th Neros Regiment
My Army Principle: 1. Quantity 2. Quality 3. Variety
Anime Mecha Vocaloid (And Neko) Lover ~nyo

Hymirl... I think you'd better start eating reading the rulebook. :P