News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The 181st Stygian ANd its home system [back ground]  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
The 181st Stygian ANd its home system [back ground]
« on: June 9, 2007, 06:59:43 AM »
Here is my Imperial Guard army's background fluff, what to you guys think of it?

System structure: 8 large moons orbiting 2 gas giants.

System population: 100 million souls, distributed over 8 moons.

Main Imperial World: Stygies VII

Class: Civilised, Militarised

(Secondary World: Stygies VIII

Class: Forge World)

Geography: Temperate climate, with many deciduous forests, and rolling plains.

Government: Semi-Democratic

Basic history: The exact founding of this world is ambiguous, as almost all records of its pre-heresy state are missing. The earliest documented evidence of the Stygies system dates back to M31 when regiments from the Stygies VII clashed with rebel separatists from the Jandib system during the Heresy. The Stygian army managed an astounding and decisive victory at a time when the rest of the Imperium was reeling from the forces of Chaos, thereby securing its state as one of the leading Imperial Guard Home worlds in the Imperium. After the Heresy, Stygian regiments were a main factor in the re-establishing Imperial Authority is many sub-sectors across the galaxy. The system itself has been involved in several wars, and is in the process of crushing a cultist/anti-Imperial revolt on one of its smaller moons.

Human Geography: On the main world in the system, Stygies VII, the population reside in cities and rural towns, much like European civilisation on the Terra of antiquity.

Political structure: The system has an odd mixture of democracy and dictatorship, with an Imperial Commander sharing power with an elected government, and surprisingly, it works quiet well. Crime rates are low; with the Adeptus Abites reclassifying the world form ‘Low’ to ‘Minimum’ threat of political decent. Due to recent political upheavals on one of the smaller moons, this may be subject to change.

Religious standing: Like most imperial worlds, Stygies’ populace worship the Emperor as a God. However, the state does not impose any particular style of worship onto the population, allowing them to venerate him in any way they see fit. This has meant that at times, they and the Imperial Church have not seem eye-to-eye, but the systems undeniably glorious and noble history has meant that the Ecclesiarchy has been slow to critisise. Because of the incidents on IVX (one of the moons in the system) they may pressure the local cardinals to declare a crusade against the ‘evils of a liberal society’.

Military

Military Structure: The Stygies system supplies troops on a sytem level, with Stygies VII being the main contibutor to the tithe. Because of its long military record, and unique military system Imperial Guard and PDF forced have become merged and effectively fight as one force, with non tithed regiments being deployed alongside their Guard cousins in many distant war zones. Regiments recruited from Stygies (guard, and PDF) are collectively know as Stygian Army regiments because of this. Again several commentators have questioned this, and claimed that it is a way of eroding true Imperial power, by replacing it with their own ways. However the extra regiments deployed have often meant the difference between victory and defeat.

Recruitment: Joining the Stygian army is completely voluntary, but to encourage recruitment in times of war several incentives are employed, like extra pay for being deployed (fighting pay), and tax reductions. This is very rarely needed however, as popular support for the army means that there is always a large supply of people willing to enlist.

Training: All recruits in the Stygian army go through a lengthy training process, usually lasting just over 12 months. At the end of their training, prospective Guardsmen must complete 3 weeks of active duty in a war zone, serving with the Guardsmen of their regiment. This means that regiments that reach the Imperial Guard frontlines are substantially better trained than most other regiments. Fire control, marksmanship, independent thought, and Discipline are all hallmarks of the Stygian fighting forces, and this has given them the edge in some of the harshest, most brutal war zones in last millennium.

Stygian officers are trained fight with ranged firepower in mind, and not to waste men in needless and un-winnable hand-to-hand fighting. With this in mind, junior officers are not issued (or even allowed) swords or a sabre, commanding the infantry is a priority, there have been notable exceptions however. This lack of willingness to fight in hand-to-hand has been seen as gutless and cowardly by some other commanders, but the fact is that if necessary commander will assault strong points and charge trenches if needed, but not if they can help it.

The concept of independent thought may seem at odds with discipline and other systems in other regiments. This is not the case, as the squad leading corporals still have to follow orders, but they are allowed to take the initiative when required of them.  The advantages of the system come into there own when fighting gets tough and ‘command and control’ breaks down. Where most other companies would falter, rout or stand their ground in a suicidal last stand, the Stygian regiments are able to withdraw in an orderly manner, or even take the fight to the enemy.

As a note, the Stygian army does not normally employ commissars, the officers find that the ‘glory to the first man to die’, and summary executions actually have a negative effect in the long run, punishing decisive manoeuvres, and breeding tactical inflexibility.

Equipment: The stygian army is equipped to the same high standard as other high tech-base worlds.

Advanced body armour is supplied as standard to heavy infantry regiments (and these make up the majority of the regiments raised). The armour is made up of re enforced chest plates and helmets, with plasteel plates inserted into the fatigues.

Unlike most regiments, the stygian regiments  use autorifles, notably the Kantrael Pattern Heavy Autorifle. The tech-base of system has meant that the rifles are able to utilise a higher standard of ammunition, the most popular in military circles being the, man-stopper caseless amour-piercing, devastator hollow points, and longbow sniper rounds.

The most common heavy weapons in the Stygian regiments are plasma weapons and automatic cannons. The standard autocannon pattern allows officers to be more flexible in their tactical options, and engage mixed infantry and lightly armoured units with equal easy, and the plasma guns strong (if slightly unreliable) firepower compliments this.

Vehicles: As well as using the iconic chassis and armour such as the Leman Russ and chimera, they also employ a whole variety of uncommon, and rare vehicle chassis and models.

One of the major exports of the Stygies VIII is the Stygies Pattern Vanquisher. The Stygian Army can field entire companies of these Vanquishers (though in small numbers compared to other armoured companies), and this gives them a powerful advantage when engaging enemy armour regiments.

Other rare vehicle variants include; Sky-sweeper Anti-Aircraft Exterminators (based on the Leman Russ Exterminator); the Ground-pounder Self-propelled-missile-artillery (based on the Basilisk chassis with a whirlwind missile system installed); the Cerberus Gattling-tank (replacement for the hellhound); and several variants of thunderbolt.

Notable regiments:

The 181st Stygian Heavy Infantry Regiment

Founding: M36, the regiment was founded as a response to Vandire and his reign of blood, seeing action in the siege of the Imperial Palace on Holy Terra.

History: The Stygian 181st regiment has seen action in many and varied conflicts across the galaxy. War zones like Cadia, Armageddon, and the Damocles gulf have all been blessed with the presence of the 181st.

Operational state: Active, the regiments 10 companies are active in several war zones, the crushing of a revolt on IVX, and engaging elements of the formerly ‘Astral Claws’ renegade Space Marine chapter in near the Maelstrom, as well as several other, more confidential, missions. This is not a normal situation for a regiment, but due to exceptional circumstances in the home system, the regiment had to be temporarily split to re-enforce the fighting on IVX.

1st Company Structure and commanding officers:

Company Commander: Imperator-Major Decimus Lucius

Company Sergeant Major: Warrant-Officer Thomas Shaeffer

Delta Platoon Commanding Commissioned Officer: Lieutenant ‘Rag head’

Echo Platoon Commanding Commissioned Officer: Lieutenant Astor (MC)

Delta Platoon: This platoon consists of recruits going through their final 3 weeks of training.

Echo Platoon: This platoon consists of fully trained Guardsmen who have moved from the Delta platoon.

Command Platoon: This platoon is formed from two ‘Line breaker’ units (Stygian equivalent of Kasrkin) and the command squad. In practice however, the Line breakers are given free reign, and the command squad has Heavy weapon teams attached instead.

PSN: Leman Vanquisher

Offline Lord Commissar Spiteful

• Commissar
  • Ancient
  • Only Survivor of the Spiteful Incident
  • Armies: Guard
Re: The 181st Stygian ANd its home system [back ground]
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 06:31:36 AM »
Is this The Stygies 8? The forgeworld founded before the age of the imperium?

I like your fluff, and also the fact that you are based next to my favourite forge world. The stygies pattern vanquisher is SO much better than the gryphone pattern (which is a useless comparison when you consider what happened to gryphone).

My only problem is that this culture is a very moder, very western culture. Now I'd like to see a bit more of that, since recently there has been a swing away from that, but my problem is that it doesn't reflect much on the presence of Stygies.

Stygies is on of the more influential forgeowrlds, and one would assume that they're culture spread as much as their weapons. Um, culturally i mean.

Now just to reread just in case i missed something like what i just said.

So basically you'd be forced to make a compromise: you'd be buying more than just their weapons.

That said, you have to decide, I'd just say a bit more about the influence of the admech.
Ordo Sepulturum
Hunt for the Terminus Est

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 04:42:55 AM »
I supose I can slightly change the fluff, but where, what could I add ???. Maybe tech worship?, or trade between leaders, eg, 8 gives weapons; 7 gives slaves, soldiers, terst subjects, etc.?

Also, it is Stygies 7, I did some thinking about why Styiges 8 had a number, and came up with the idea that it is a (very) large moon, my main world being its sister.

• Commissar
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 05:25:52 AM »
Well, there are many avenues open to you. Think about modern cultural influences. Have you seen the move Back to the Future? There's aline in there that defines influence perfectly:
"look marty, no wonder it broke, it's made in Japan"
"Sure doc, all the best stuff's made there"

or something to that extent.
Basically, as you have trade and stuff, the culture develops. Think of Japanee influence in terms of culture: manga, anime, katanas, martial arts etc.

SO basically you can keep it as overt or open as you'd like, but try and say something. They don't have to be cult mechanicus, but they definately would have a few, uhm, mixed motives? Every action they take would reflect not wanting to offend their neighbours (uspecially considering the values the ad mech stand for). Perhaps they have something the admech want, so the admech is woo-ing them?

Anyways, I'm just trying to give some ideas. Obviously you can chose whether or not you want to look at those aspects.
Ordo Sepulturum

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 12:32:58 PM »
Well, a few months/years ago, I was thinking about a newly discovered Dark/Golden age tech site, something like an adandoned tank hanger, with tanks and designs, being discovered. This would obviously be a major reasson for the adeptus Mehcanus to be 'buttering up' the owners of the land/moon. But would it be breaking too much GW fluff?

• Commissar
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 01:02:26 PM »
Not really. New tech is discovered all of the time. Also it takes forever to integrate it into regular use. The lightning fighter took several hundred years before the first copy was built.

Also, it would make sense that there are parts missing, fragmented information might take them years to integrate into general usage. Finally, if you are the average imperial world, the adeptus can' just roll in and take it, so they'll have to obtain permission from the sector capital. It's easier for them to just buy their way in with the local planetary government.

Just, don't fall into the trap of saying that you discovered the main STC, or that you're the site of famous vehicles. The admech get all giddy about agricultural equipment even, and they are low key enough to pass under the radar, so that might not be a bad idea. Think along the lines of the landcrawler, but less famous.
Ordo Sepulturum

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
Re: The 181st Stygian and its home system [back ground]
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 05:56:44 AM »
Ok, another idea. the system's moons all work as an intergrated world (except the forge world), and many of the moons are mineral rich, giving the forge world a large supply close at hand, however it must trade the resources for the armaments they manufacture (if not just to make it easier to increase output and efficiency).

• Commissar
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 06:58:42 AM »
Just in case I put you off the STC idea, I jus want to emphasise that I think that it's a good idea, as long as you don't use it as an obvious plot device, or go a little too grand (like saying its the home of the landraider etc).

Now the argricultural thing would be a cool idea. It can also reflect a large nmber of sublight space craft, so that can be an interesting part of you planet, it's large sub light fleet (industrial, perhaps as orbitla defences and potentially military etc).

remember to think of the cultural consequences of this. for instnce, if you go like this, there might be a strong drive/social class/caste making fleet pilots more important (think of the old aristocracy = officer militaries in previous centuries).

well, i'll be here, so feel free to ask my oppinion if you make any changes, but I think that at this point you decide exactly where you want to take it.

good luck pain
Ordo Sepulturum

Offline Talon Undecided

• Full Bird Colonel; Old School Necron Hunter Adept; Best Painted Rough Riders
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
  • Armies: Astra Militarum, Evil Blood Ravens, AdMech
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 08:12:21 PM »
Semi-Democratic
Ah, the best form of governance.  ;D

While Spiteful is discussing the technology aspect of the Stygian, I'll like to focus on more the character development and the people. I like the notable regiments part of it, and I can see potential for a new story based on it (think famous battles), but don't put it in here, post it in a new thread.  ;) You might want to expend into the orbital defenses of the planet as well,

A suggestion for the compromise of the Stygies and the AdMech could be in the foundings itself. This is an idea, up to you whether you like it or not.  ;) The AdMech discovered Stygian 7. It became a thriving colony where they got their raw materials to work for them and such. A workers revolt or perhaps the aftemath or another war many many years later prompted the AdMech to grant self-governance to the Stygian 7, on the grounds that they continually provide manpower and raw materials in exchange for self governance and equipment to defend themselves with.

Come to think of it this sounds very familiar...
Imperial Guard Poster of the year '09!
Good golly that was ages ago.

Astra what now?

• Commissar
  • Ancient
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 02:02:34 AM »
The cultural aspects of a planet are very much dependant on their neighbours and their history. The presence of the adepts both give you a lot of possibility, and also limit you in a way. the planets are well documented, so if you write you have to be careful not to dirctly contradict the canon. at the same time, you can have the unseen hands of your political and culture help shape the famous events of the canon.

Expanding on what raven said, I think that a good starting point on the regiment's time scale would be the age of apostacy. There Vandire pretty much had a war going with the adeptus mechanius. Here you could write in a lot of events. For instance: Much of the early stages of teh war/age had the adeptus on the back foot. here you can use that as a plot device, that allows your army to gain independance from the adeptus mechanicus, without sullying the present relationship that you have with them.

Also, i just thought about soething that was distrubing me a little, but I couldn't place my finger on. Isn't Styggies 8 a planet? I think the imperials name the planets in the order that they are from their star, so earth/holy terra would be Sol 3, while Mars is Sol 4? I'm not sure, buut you might want to have a thught about that.
Ordo Sepulturum

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 05:29:48 AM »
Well, I checked may site, and found no data on stygies 8, if you have a link to a site, or a book, then I could revise my fluff.

I would not be much of a change though, as it is not really a plot motive, just a way of saying that it is a mini 'empire'.

As to the ideas on the independance thing, I like the idea, and it does fit the time scale of the 181st's founding. I will ponder over the workings of it and come back some time in the future (as exams are looming and revivion would be good ::)).

• Commissar
  • Ancient
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 05:37:31 AM »
Well, I'l see what I can do about Stygies. Not much is mentioned I think, but I know that they have a famed titan legion. Glad you liked the ideas we tried out, but most importantly, good luck with the exams!

I'm having mine this week (actually already had my first ones). They can get out of hand if you don't manage your time well, so good luck!
Ordo Sepulturum