News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Who's Going to Gamesday Toronto?  (Read 6210 times)

Offline Vic

• Warrior
  • Don't Take Life Seriously, Its Not Permanent.
Re: Who's Going to Gamesday Toronto?
« Reply #80 on: May 4, 2007, 06:03:50 PM »
Yep! So 11-11:30 at the Giant Space Marine, kk got it, sealed, cemented in my mind!

Change The World

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #81 on: May 4, 2007, 10:03:31 PM »
I will be there, I'll be running a table though.

If you can find the table of Dark Angels vs Imperial Guard (old school death korps) i'm the bigger dude running it lol.  feel free to say hi and join in the fun *shudder*  lol
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Monoglycer

• Supa-Mekboy!
  • Ancient
  • Hard work pays off later but laziness pays off NOW
    • Eldaronline
« Reply #82 on: May 4, 2007, 10:18:53 PM »
I will be wearing a tan dress shirt with a black undershirt. I maybe able to get a pimp hat if i do its purple and rather large and purple...i'll also be carrying a sabol army transport around and maybe walking around with a redhead girl.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2007, 11:12:37 PM by Monoglycer »

Offline skalnok

• i like harlequins they make me laugh
« Reply #83 on: May 4, 2007, 11:19:01 PM »
you are luckyish but only if the red head is ur gf.

mine would rather have me castrated than come to a games day lol
98% of the weed smokers on this site bug the 2% non-smokers on this site about why they should.  Maybe the 98% should lighten up, go smoke one and leave us to our choices.

"OMG, did you see that, the big melty thingy melted bob, OMG it's walking this way.  OH DEAR GREATER GOOD, RUN!"

If I eat your brain, do I gain your talen

Offline Monoglycer

• Supa-Mekboy!
  • Ancient
    • Eldaronline
« Reply #84 on: May 4, 2007, 11:31:55 PM »
no shes a friend of mine i met through the GW forums and she games regularly.

Offline skalnok

« Reply #85 on: May 4, 2007, 11:37:16 PM »
ahh ok then lol.

yea i might be dressed kinda like monoglycer ( nicely lol ) but i will definitely have my hair gelled back
98% of the weed smokers on this site bug the 2% non-smokers on this site about why they should.  Maybe the 98% should lighten up, go smoke one and leave us to our choices.

"OMG, did you see that, the big melty thingy melted bob, OMG it's walking this way.  OH DEAR GREATER GOOD, RUN!"

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #86 on: May 5, 2007, 03:43:07 AM »
I have a red T-shirt and a GW case with two round stickers on the front (yellow and Orange and say Zox) I'll be with my brother. I'll have some sort of khaki pants with the pockets holding my dice and stuff.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Tyhaldras

• Hope for the best, expect the worst...
« Reply #87 on: May 5, 2007, 03:56:29 AM »
Well, I would have been going to Gamesday, wouldn't have been playing games but I would have seen the sights, hung out, talked shop with people (some of whom could have been you guys, who knows?)

However instead of doing something cool for once this weekend I sit here at home, in Ottawa (well outside technically but whatever...) pissed off.

You see I paid for a bus ride to ol' Toronto, expecting a Greyhound or something with a bathroom at least, but what do we get?

Yellow School Bus.

I don't know who was responsible for getting the bus, but I would kick them where the sun don't shine if I met them right now. No way in hell I am riding 4-5 hours on a school bus after driving 30 minutes just to get on the bus. I plan to get my money back for the bus and probably send out a few nasty e-mails and phone calls to whoever screwed up my weekend.

There, I feel midly better now that I vented a bit. Those who went/are going I hope you enjoy it, cause I intend to never attend one of these things again after this travesty.

Drama ended. Please continue with your regularly schedueled discussion.
W/L/D record
Craftworld Eldar: 26-1-3
Dwarfs: 11-7-7
Vostroyans: having too much fun to care

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: May 5, 2007, 08:12:11 PM »
i didnt think it was legal to spend that much time on a school bus lol.  awww man you have my sympathies.

actually i was kind of surprised that the only person who stopped by to say hellp was Mono
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Interrogator_Chaplain

• Just say you won't repent, I dare you.
« Reply #89 on: May 5, 2007, 11:09:54 PM »
I didn't even know you were there, me and Killer waited for you Mono but we couldn't find you. We went off to find a table so we could do a quick game and we ended up turning it into a 4 player carnage game, took a little longer and the rules could have made it a little smoother but it was memorable, for me at least.
Lom had I known you were going I definitly would have stopped by.

I picked up 4 more BL books there, got my GD figure a pair of T-shirts then I got to talk about how to write a short story with Gav Thorpe and then played a pre-beta build of Warhammer Online, I've seen WoW played on max settings and even as a pre-beta this looked really pretty. I then got to talking with one of the guys at the booth on how to become an animator in the video game industry and it was quite thought provoking. Today was quite a good day and it was nice to meet you Killer and Kiarstill, how did you do in your games anyway?

Offline Monoglycer

• Supa-Mekboy!
  • Ancient
    • Eldaronline
« Reply #90 on: May 5, 2007, 11:26:22 PM »
was just checking on how you slackers local mods were doing. Overall it was a good day god a book signed by mike lee(author of the darkblade series...good books), and raided the kit bashing places and got myself lots of spare bits and guns for my orks...and many many defiler legs...(more kans squid :))

Offline skalnok

« Reply #91 on: May 6, 2007, 01:40:00 AM »
next time i plan to meet some1 for gamesday i am buying a dispossable cell phone.

like jeeze there were at least 15 guys there with red heads beside them and wayy to many people there who wore red and had a bag lol

and to top it all off i got food poisoning from the worst sushi i have ever had :(

but other than that gamesday was great, i got a dev squad 2 books and a bunch of harlequins ( thanks Killersquid XD)

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #92 on: May 6, 2007, 09:24:31 AM »
(more kans squid :))

Crap.

The Carnage game was fun, though that Iron Warrior dude took forever eh? but it was a fun game, my mutants never really left my deployment zone, though my Demon came out in that game and had some fun with interrogator Chaplin's Dark Angles.

I bought a forge world model, and played some of the scenario games, by brother told the Warhammer online people the game looks exactly the same as World of Warcraft and budded the WO people for a bit which was kinda funny. I also got a powder Monkey shirt.

I'm sorry I didn't say hi Lom, I forgot which table it was you where running :P So I most likely did see you yesterday, but didn't know it was you, Sorry. How'd the games go?

I got all the pictures on my photobucket, I seem to have taken very little (read none) pictures of actual people. And neither did my brother (besides me) which I thought was kinda disappointing. Next year'll be better.

Oh yeah, Pictures here if you go left to right you got it backwards.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Kiarstill

• The Forgotten Heroes
« Reply #93 on: May 6, 2007, 06:55:43 PM »
Well I jsut got home now, I didn't think time zones were that bad until you jump across 3 in one go... not fun people.

So, I found Killer Squid and I_C by the Giant Space Marine. Lom I didn't even know you were there bud or I would have said hi, I didn't have a computer to get Internet access after I left :'(.

Anyway, I had an absolute blast. Picked me up a FW avatar (finally) but passed on the powder monkey t-shirt (just didn't do it for me, I dunno). I was definatly not a big fan of all the ya-hoo's dressing up there (not the actors, that was fine) until I saw the wood elf girls... I am definatly on the wood elf bandwagon right now ::).

Regarding Games Day (what I saw) here's my comments.
-Club tables? Are you KIDDING ME? Where do these people get them from and why don't I have tables that look that good :'(. That one with the bunkers on each end and the tank traps and craters in the middle was actually the most amazing table I've seen, personally.

-Sneak Peaks? Just, No comment. And by no comment, I mean there's nothing to comment on, because there really wasn't anything there. (stuff that we've known about for months and even harlequins people in the tournament were playing with :-\.

-Guest Speakers. Really dissappointed there was no Q&A, and even more dissappointed there was no speech or anything. Very lame (what was with Gav's moustache?)

-As mentioned above, dressed up wood elves = good, little kid dressed up as fire warrior = bad.

Regarding the tournament, (for those interested) I'll run through how it went.
SPOILER ALERT. I got my ass kicked for the most part, if you want to save the sad stories :P

Game one. vs Guard.
Okay, thousand sons have BIG issues with guard, not a lot of anti-tank, and their tanks insta kill the poor thousand sons. (My sons have NEVER beaten a guard army, maybe it's just me). So we're deploying and everything and all is going well (as well as it can for me anyway) and he deploys some grey knights... are you KIDDING ME? great, then he deploys his inquisitor... even better... and he starts infiltrating... and drops of all things the CULUXUS. Un-freaking-believable, can you say geared to kill thousand sons? None the less, after the Culuxus pulled out a big assault 10 into my chosen... he was a basic no-show and was dragged down (they were only 300 points, no biggie :() That was basically all I had for anti-tank though. Termies deep-struck behind him and started ripping him apart... 2 wounds is nasty for termies. They almost pulled it out for me, but after objectives I still got handed a major loss.
Record 0-1

Game two. vs Tyranids
Now, I don't have an issue with nids, I have an issue with flying half-way across the second largest country in the world (base on land-mass) and having to play someone I play at home... but them's the breaks. Now this game actually was going very well at first (I was thinking masssacre for me to be honest, I was annihilating him. Then on my flank where I had defiler, termies, and chosen he hits the termies with his guants. That is not a big deal, my termies stand up to more genestealers than he had gaunts so I wasn't worried. Well this is where the Dice left me (as an aside, I don't EVER blame dice unless in the most dire of circumstances, so this was a bit of a biggie). Anyway, 8 wounds on 3 termies (6 wounds worth). 5 1's out of 8... so theres the 1 guy with 1 wound left trying to hold the line... he failed another save for being outnumbered and that was it, the chosen couldnt hold against that and the defiler was left to sift through what it could. then the carnifex starts nailing my sons with the ord. blast gun (whatever its called?) and I can't buy my thousand sons a 3+ save. So THEY start getting insta-killed and dying. Fast-forward to last turn, he runs his shooty fex into the defiler (who eventually killed all but 1 gaunt, cost me over 100 points) and tears it apart because it's still got combat upgrades... He gets a quarter, and contests the one I have (because the warrior had 1 wound, 4 power weapon attacks to solve that and he whiffed) so what might have been a salvage draw or very minor win turned into a large minor win for him (less than 50 away from major win).
Record 0-2

Game 3. vs Imperial Guard
Now I'm a tad upset, I really don't like guard and out of 29 people, 4 had guard armies and this is the second one I faced. Even better, he's got a mini armoured co. both lemun russes, and a bassie plus hell hound and 2 chimeras. 10 ogryns and an assortment of lascannons in the infantry. I put up a fight, but at the end of the day, I couldnt compete with that, he removed my chosen in 1 go, getting double VP for them (based on the objective, enemies pride) so that cost me 600 vp total. I chose his ogryns thinking "hmm, my flamers will show them a thing or two" too bad they summoned into DT and rolled snake eyes to move through it towards them... i got 1 flamer to shoot... The highlight was 2 rubric termies taking on 9 ogryns for 4 rounds of combat, not doing a single wound each time and just taking a beating ;D. I love rubric termies.
Record 0-3

So I head back to the hotel to re-group. I have NEVER done this bad in a tournament so I know I need to sort this out. Shower, steak dinner with a buddy and his dad good times were had. Enter Day 2 (Games Day)

Game 4. vs Space Marines.
Now I'm happy, I like my chances vs any army besides Guard (and the iron warriors guy, he was the worst). So we start deploying. Pred Annihilator... greeeaaat, but not the end of the world. Devi-squad with 4 lascannons... Are you joking? Then a devi-squad with 4 missle launchers deployed out of their razor back with lascannon. You've got to be kidding me. Venerable Dread with las and missles... Not liking this. Now as before, I put up one good fight and almost looking like I would pull it out. But in the end, that damned Pred saved the day killing almost everything it faced. My dread, my defiler, my lord :'(. But it was still fun. Major Loss after scenario bonus.
Record 0-4

Game 5. vs Eldar.
Okay, I've come to terms with the fact this hasn't gone as well as I had hoped, but I figure if this guy was also 0-4 I can take him. So we start deploying. He's got 1 wraithlord, 2 units of guardians, 1 of almost every aspect (on foot) and yriel. A.K.A. weakest eldar army I've ever seen. Not much to say here except that I slaughtered him. However (of humourus note) first psycic test on the farseer, double 1's, wounds himself, failes his ghosthelm. worst, start, ever.
I ended up with over 3000 VP I think, because I got VP for my stuff still alive aswell as all his stuff I killed. Massacre for me.
Record 1-4

Yes! didn't finish 0-5. Life is sweet again. So they post the results, and find out I'm second from the bottom (yes! not dead last) I was kind of choked though, usually I'm an awesome sport but I was nuked, then I thought about it and I did deserve it after the first day. I had a lot of fun even when playing the guard, but man I be-atched about it afterwards "thousand sons cant beat guard blah blah blah" which was totally unneccesary, so I accept it. None-the-less, I had a freaking BLAST is was so much fun to see all those armies (what was with the t-rex battle wagon in the ork army, amazing). I would totally go again next year if I could, brining a tougher army next time though ;). For those interested, here's the list I used.

Lord Cetainn - 146
-Mark of Tzeentch         
-Dark Blade            
-Bionics            
-Bolt Pistol            
-Daemonic Mutation         
-Daemonic Aura         
-Twisting Path         

5 Chosen - 285
-5 Marks of Tzeentch
-5 Bolt of Change
-5 Close Combat Weapons + Bolt Pistol

5 Thousand Sons - 210
-5 Mark of Tzeentch
-5 Terminator Armour         

9 Thousand Sons - 231
-9 Mark of Tzeentch
-Favored Aspiring Champion
-Doombolt

9 Thousand Sons - 241
-9 Mark of Tzeentch
-Favored Aspiring Champion
-Power Weapon
-Doombolt

9 Horrors - 207
-9 Flamer Upgrades

Dreadnought - 190
-Lascannon
-Daemonic Possession
-Mutated Hull
-Dedicated to Tzeentch

Defiler - 190
-Indirect Fire
-Dedicated to Tzeentch

1700 points

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: May 6, 2007, 07:30:54 PM »
As mentioned above, dressed up wood elves = good, little kid dressed up as fire warrior = bad.

hahaha that little kid dressed as a fire warrior is from my store.  Never saw him but heard him talking about it today.  All he does really is collects and plays a bastardized version of 40k with his little friends.

as for the table i was at...well if you walked around and saw the dark angels and guard going at it that was me. (big guy with nike ball cap on...also i was the more enthusiastic guy at the table).

As for how the games went, i had fun.  first one was a new kid vs a seasoned guard player.  the kids scouts rolled the guard players left flank before being killed in the center (note:  that was 5 scouts with 3 shot guns....i gotta get me some scouts).

second game was a seasoned guard player vs a guy who wanted to start dark angels.  We had a good laugh because when ever the dark angel player failed to kill something at range (he could always do it in combat) i would cough and call him a space wolf.  It got to the point where i wouldnt say anything and he would glare at me.  There was a point where he fired both his lascannons on his land raider and missed and before i could say anything he said "dont...call me a space wolf"  i laughed and told him "you know, your right...space wolves can still hit, that was more like a blood angel shooting"

third game was basically a demo game.  i had left to check out the golden daemons, and came back and the other guy running the table was just telling the guys what to do.  i came in and eventually took over by just adding a bit of background to what was happening.

but yea i enjoyed myself...before it actually opened, me and a buddy went to talk with Gav and who ever was beside him and MAN do those guys know how to dodge questions.  Asked for confirmation on high elves and vamps.  Then asked dark elves and their answer was "too far in the future to tell".  Asked about the Ork Codex and they said "well, we're working on them but it will be in a few years."

anyways, thats all for me
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Vic

• Warrior
« Reply #95 on: May 6, 2007, 09:56:53 PM »
Well, I would have been going to Gamesday, wouldn't have been playing games but I would have seen the sights, hung out, talked shop with people (some of whom could have been you guys, who knows?)

However instead of doing something cool for once this weekend I sit here at home, in Ottawa (well outside technically but whatever...) pissed off.

You see I paid for a bus ride to ol' Toronto, expecting a Greyhound or something with a bathroom at least, but what do we get?

Yellow School Bus.

I don't know who was responsible for getting the bus, but I would kick them where the sun don't shine if I met them right now. No way in hell I am riding 4-5 hours on a school bus after driving 30 minutes just to get on the bus. I plan to get my money back for the bus and probably send out a few nasty e-mails and phone calls to whoever screwed up my weekend.

There, I feel midly better now that I vented a bit. Those who went/are going I hope you enjoy it, cause I intend to never attend one of these things again after this travesty.

Drama ended. Please continue with your regularly schedueled discussion.

EXACT SAME THING HERE! A f***** school bus shows up and everyone is like WTF!?, at least we got some free boxes out of it.

I was in windsor, the Manager talked to us and said the same thing happened in Ottawa, good thing my parents were visiting toronto and gave me a ride back, sorry if I couldn't meet up with anyone, my cell phone battery died, and when it was 11 I was outside at a tim horotons getting some food.

« Last Edit: May 6, 2007, 10:00:55 PM by Vic »

Change The World

• Ancient
« Reply #96 on: May 7, 2007, 07:01:33 PM »
Dead Battery would show why I didn't catch ya on the cell phone. Did you have a good time though? what ya do?
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Interrogator_Chaplain

• Just say you won't repent, I dare you.
« Reply #97 on: May 7, 2007, 07:47:06 PM »
So thats why I couldn't send my text to you, shucks, I was loking forward to taking you on, ahh well. I think next year we should do a big ol' 40k Online Carnage game together, that would be awesome.

• Ancient
« Reply #98 on: May 7, 2007, 07:49:04 PM »
Yeah, We will need to plan it around the sneak peek seminar though and not during it ha ha.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Vic

• Warrior
« Reply #99 on: May 8, 2007, 07:59:43 AM »
Yeah, the Pay Phones weren't working anyways.

I had fun, grabbed myself 10 Dark Eldar Raider Crew bits, so now my raiders only cost me 29 bucks :D.

Grabbed 8 cold ones that I will use as warpbeasts, and some random nid bits that I got for making 3 space

marines dance in the conversion corner.

Change The World