News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 63323 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #400 on: September 10, 2017, 03:54:21 AM »
@Saim-Dann, As far as I can tell the path system has no linear progression system. Guardians are effectively Eldar who are not currently on An Aspect/Psyker path. If you take Gav Thorpe's idea, an Eldar enters an Aspect path when Khaine's curse becomes too strong to resist and they the teachings involved on the path to get it back under control. Mind you this is just a glimps of the way just one craftworld works, some of the more war driven craftworlds may be different.

@Ynneadwraith. With regards to memory and just reaching out to the expert. As an expert, I would want to be focusing on whatever project I was doing, having potentially millions/billions of people trying to ping me for answers to something would just be infuriating. Its bad enough with the chat system at work as is lol. You would, for your own peace of mind drop at least some of the knowledge into a document. Maybe even teach it for a while so they get bugged first lol.

Basically if you are looking for a need to write things down with an effectively immortal society with a photographic memory, then its to be able to pass on the knowledge on mass.

The whole arrogant side of things I would kind of expect people to post up a document to show off how great they are.

Recorded media, well, there is the book on Necron's in the black library, which has details of events pre-dating the war in heaven. In the Jain Zar novel there is a visit to well another library in the webway which was built prior to the fall as well. So there seems to be some grounds for them having it, kind of depends on where you sit with the 40k novels being cannon or not.

You could also be really picky, in that they "could" reincarnate and take that too mean, it wasn't guaranteed. There could also have been a lag time between coming back, oooo maybe you could only come back if the host body was a close enough matched to the one you left.

How mind blowing would it be to pop out a newborn with full memory of the past life.. Well thanks for that folks, but I've got a project to finish lol.

Regarding clones.. totally grey area, could just be like dolly the sheep lol.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #401 on: September 11, 2017, 09:58:31 AM »
Oh man that's a neat idea Saim Dann :)

It sort of fits with my idea for my exodite lord being a 'soul drinker' (basically a very pre-fall practice of turning your body into a sort of exarch suit where you murder other eldar and absorb their soul). With him, he's got such a weight of souls within him after 10,000 years that he has difficulty distinguishing which thoughts are his own. He's so old and full of other people's thoughts that he can get befuddled and his thought processes are ancient, almost ent-like.

I can see another instance of a soul-drinker where they're driven insane by the incessant chattering of the souls within them :)

Or another that is occasionally overwhelmed by them and experiences something similar to multiple personality disorder, or hell even winds up becoming more of a gestalt consciousness rather than a single person.

Neat!

All of that could apply to the Dark Eldar too with their patchwork souls :) especially interesting as i doubt the souls they've used to patch theirs up are particularly cooperative...

@Magenb yeah that makes sense. I wouldn't want to be perpetually pestered for info, although you wouldn't necessarily need to go to the one expert. You could go to anyone who's got the information. Basically exactly like the internet, but just using brains instead of servers :)

Agreed that they evidently had some form of written info though, although i'd still wager it would be a little archaic for them. Something for hobbyists rather than a civic service ;)

You know i was just thinking how awful genuine reincarnation would be for the parents. You're looking forward to having your child. Someone whose mind you can shape. Someone all of your own. Then, out pops Bill who's just popped his clogs at the grand old age of 80 and here he is back again, ready to get cracking on that fuddy old writing project he was halfway through. Thanks for all the effort i'll be off now!

Unless it's something fuzzier like the reincarnated has vague memories of their former lives but is very much their own person, in which case the whole memory-archive thing wouldn't work at all!

Post Merge: September 12, 2017, 06:48:41 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Selesti was once akin to any other maiden world, a lush and verdant paradise.

No longer.

The gifts of the Plaguefather had reaped their toll, and even after he had been expunged the exodites struggled to recover their shattered ecologies. Their last-ditch ploy to stem the foetid tide had collapsed their webway gates, dashing the hopes of outside aid. Desperate measures were taken to ensure their survival.

See those insects buzzing yonder? They are not flesh and blood, but little wraithbone constructs, flitting about like clockwork mayflies. Our ancestors sung them into being. Created to balance our stricken biome, to replace those vital functions that were lost, and to forge anew a world adapted to our desertified conditions.

In ancient days we were capable of giving life and intelligence almost an equal to our own. Those days have long since passed. These little clockwork constructs we can produce are little more than children's toys. They are not enough to maintain our world, or our people.

We rediscovered the great life-engines of our ancestors, lying dormant beneath the barren sands. We discovered that channelling our world-spirit through them would imbue them with life oncemore. We crafted new bodies for our departed souls, amalgams of flesh and wraithbone in reverance of our lost fauna. Upon death, we are reborn as the beasts of the wild, our minds shaped to suit.

So it is that we hunt our ancestors through our world. A despicable desecration of our dead, they say. They do not see the honour it brings the Horned God. For is not everything, even eldar, prey to something?

But the life-engines are fickle. We discovered their purpose was not to create a haven as we had once believed. Late we learnt that their purpose was to create a jewel to be viewed from afar, splendid in its ferocious beauty. It is not just prey that stalks our skeletal land. Predators lurk deep within its reaches. Rare is the eldar that can reach their minds now, so changed are they by the process.

Thought I'd have a go at a slightly different way of worldbuilding/showing new dudes I've made :) won't do it for everything, but offering little teasers of new models alongside fluff is definitely a fun way of telling a story :) here's the new models in a clearer set of pics

Thraoren, Huntfather, Son of Kurnous. Hound of the Hunt

Counts-as Striking Scorpion Exarch in 40k (I gather Biting Blades are in in 8th) or an exodite warrior in Inquisimunda/INQ28.

Exodite Hunters

Counts as Kabalite Warriors in 40k (needs a Blaster and a Sybarite seeing as they're free now), or ganger-equivalents for INQ28/Shadow War (if they ever release non-Wyches).

The Beast that was once Muirnuil

Counts-as Clawed Fiend in 40k (or Khymaerae/Ur-Ghul/Grotesque depending on how the mood takes me...)

And finally the Exodite Warhost of Selesti so far :)

Approaching an army! Just need to finish the squad of Hunters/Kabalite and add another, finish the squad of Hounds of the Hunt/Scorpions, do another Beast/Clawed Fiend and sort a squad of counts-as Howling Banshees :)

Hope you like the fluff too. I really wanted to turn up the grimdark with exodites but I was wondering how I might take it further than I already have. Inspired by the Thorne Moons stuff over on Iron Sleet where there's a whole ecology of twisted techno-biological humans, and the whole 'there are no wolves on Fenris' thing I thought 'what if Selesti is to all intents and purposes a dead world, or at least inches away from death, populated solely by Eldar and the weird clockwork wraithbone techno-biological creatures they've created in a desperate attempt to keep themselves alive?'. Things that blur the line between technological artefacts, biological beings and eldar themselves.

I'm currently weighing up whether there's any non-eldar life on Selesti at all. Whether the few animals left are treated with reverence and a source of status among the Lords of Selesti, or if basically everything is dead apart from the eldar and they've created (unintentionally twisted) techno-biological facsimiles to replace their ecosystem.

Another neat thought is that when they invade another planet they can effectively 'Selesti-form' it by setting up one of their life engines and a rudimentary infinity circuit. Even dead worlds would be fair game :)

Oh, it also means that every single one of them qualifies as a cannibal. Savage indeed...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:48:46 AM by Ynneadwraith »
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #402 on: September 15, 2017, 08:03:44 PM »

Why do you keep her blind? We know you have the means to heal her.

She is our seer. Our Lileathan Dreamer. Child of the Prophet-god. She is blind that she may see what others do not.

The maiden sighed deeply as the narcotic-laced haze began to take effect, so deep in fact that one might easily mistake it for relief. It was the saccade of her sightless eyes that gave it away as something deeper than a simple numbing stupor. But this time...this time something felt wrong.

Like a shot she bolted upright, whirling around in a frenetic dance. Her wheeling feet carved out three circles in the sand faster than her attendant crones could react.

The middle-crone howled an ear-splitting shriek, piercing the moment and snapping the dreamer girl from her trance. The Elder's spear swept across the earth, hastily breaking the fell sigil.

As the gathered crones attended to the collapsed dreamer-girl the Elder leant close, inspecting the broken symbols. In the centre of each pooled greening brackish water. It didn't take her prodigious interpretive skill to decypher what this omen portended. Written clear as day.

'Find the Godborn Lord,' the Elder croaked, 'the Hunt must be gathered. Tell him the Plaguefather returns to claim his due.'
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 04:04:47 AM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #403 on: September 15, 2017, 11:26:55 PM »
OH-MY-GIDDY-AUNT!!
Looked at the size of your post and had to put the kettle on. Your stories need to be read with the feet up and coffee in hand. You did not disappoint. What a visual feast, Ynneadwraith. 

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #404 on: September 16, 2017, 08:11:24 AM »
WOW!!! I dont know how I missed these posts. Absolutley LEGENDARY! Those creatuers you made are INSANE.... Hot damn. Seriously fantastic stuff Ynnead, I'm talking real next level! Man I hope you eventually get featured in WD because this stuff is a perfect blend of the old school and the new school. Blantchitsu to the max.... Damn man I LOVE IT. Keep rocking bro I love this stuff. Killer!!!!!!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #405 on: September 16, 2017, 09:05:51 AM »
The Beast that was once Muirnuil.... daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aang

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #406 on: September 16, 2017, 07:39:59 PM »
Thanks a ton guys! Really glad you like them :) I think I fell foul of the double-post window so it merged posts.

If ever I do get anything picked up in WD I'd pretty much be flattered beyond reason :) just looking at some of the stunning stuff that's been featured in the past. Incredible, incredible stuff :)

Glad you guys like the critter-constructs/reconstituted ancestors :) they're brilliant fun to make. Makes me want to make a bit of a menagerie of them. My thought was that these runaway life-engines basically spit out a steady stream of monsters, no two of which are quite the same.

Someone over on Dakka pointed out that I've got a Drycha model that's ripe for conversion :) what's an exodite world without dragons?

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #407 on: September 18, 2017, 08:34:04 AM »
Oh, also for a rare WIP-shot, I've had my first stab at doing GS-work beyond just gap filling :)

Need to have a go at making it a little more unkempt, but for a craftworlder I suppose neatness is fitting.

Next up is to try and do ragged cloth on the guy lurking to the far left. Anyone have any tips?

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #408 on: September 18, 2017, 10:00:33 AM »
Looking great Ynneadwraith. Great job on your first green stuff fur. If you're feeling really adventurous you could try and put the animal tails on one or both ends. Not too tough to do, just need to add a teardrop shape and add a similar texture as the collar. If you go with one tail you could do the animals head on the other side. Green stuff or even a plastic skull could get the job done. Even without that, it's still a marvelous effect. Just some suggestions if you wanted to take it to the next level.

As for tattered cloth; roll the green stuff thin and cut out your shape with a sharp knife after its hardened for a bit. You can then cut out the jagged edges and any holes. I would recommend a sharp knife as it makes a cleaner edge where a modelling tool tends to round out the edge.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #409 on: September 18, 2017, 10:39:23 AM »
Thanks for the tips dude :) i think the 'leave it to dry a bit before cutting it' is where i'd been going wrong with my test-pieces so far. Trying to work with it straight away just means it tends to tear and fall apart rather than fold and stretch like cloth.

Great idea with adding a tail and an animal skull :) i don't think i'll do it on this guy as i've got to balance the level of savageness between him and my exodites (for reference, he'll be a Saim Hann wild rider). However, that does sound perfect for my nomad wasteland tribe :)

Oh, also as a bit of an explanation of what this guy will hopefully be the start of. I've been wanting to have a go at making a set of dudes, one from each major craftworld, that go a bit further on aesthetic differences than just paint schemes. Something a little like this excellent pic of the SM legions, but for Eldar :)

Because lord knows i don't have enough projects already ;)

Oh, and i've also decided that my craftworld are basically dicks to everyone. Have a look at how the Spartans spoke to the other Greeks and that should give a good indication :) it's been great fun thinking up insults for my blunt and belligerent Angvai to greet the other craftworlds with :)

*image hosting sorted Irisado :))

Thank you.  Please remember to leave the moderation comments in place in future though, as the forum rules tipulate that they're not to be edited out :) - Iris.

Post Merge: September 19, 2017, 08:21:31 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

I'll probably fall foul of the double-posting rules, and I'd meant to save this guy for after my Biel Tan dude was finished as there's a little fluff piece of them together tying them into everyone else, but apparently I'm not a patient man ;) so here's my latest little experiment :)

Osutharal, Kinsman of the Clans

First contact:

Not sure if the red armour looks a little flat. My usual tactic of making things look grubby by doing a drybrush anti-highlight of Rhinox Hide doesn't seem to work as well on dark reds. Definitely looks better in person, but not as solid of a technique on reds. Basically exactly what Cav was saying in his thread!

Do people think that adding little white chips to the armour might work to liven it up a little?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:21:33 AM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #410 on: September 19, 2017, 10:46:33 PM »
Wow, Ynneadwraith!
You sculped that fur? A-maz-ing. The red doesn't look flat at all. It only comes across that way because of the heavy texture of the fur right next to it... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #411 on: September 20, 2017, 07:06:52 AM »
Thanks dude! I had a bit of apprehension about starting modelling with GS but doing fur actually turned out to be really easy :)

Just stick a blob where you want it and take a little screwdriver like you get in crackers and make lots of little diagonal indents.

Then have a cup of tea and marvel at how easy that was :)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #412 on: September 20, 2017, 08:07:49 AM »
Looking good my man. The fur came out excellent and its great to see some bold colors make it into the collection... especially RED  ;) Yeah I would not do the white chipping... I just dont think it'll look right. My technique for red is pretty easy. Khorne Red, super dark wash of Nuln Oil, clean it up with Khorne Red, highlight Mephiston, Evil Sunz Scarlett, then a tiny bit of Wild Rider here and there and then Bloodletter Glaze to knock it down a bit but deepen the reds and shading.

The trick is really the highlighting to make the shading stand out more. But thats just me.

I think this dude looks good to go as is. He came out great! Keep rocking bud. The collection is growing!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #413 on: September 20, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »
Haha maybe that's why i was having second thoughts. Altogether too bright for me ;)

Bit late on the chipping front as i've already done it! Hasn't quite had the desired effect, but it has broken up the flatter areas of red anyway which is what i was ultimately after.

Shall share him with my soon-to-be-completed Biel Tan guy :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #414 on: September 21, 2017, 12:10:20 PM »
And done!

And so they come, worming through the webway towards us. The other self-interested, drawn to events like moths to a flame. The Beltane, the Hanni. Curious who it is to see who these ripples of fate will affect.

Endil the Beltane, the Homeless, the Little-more-than-Corsair. Greetings.

Osutharal the Snake, the Wildling. Good that you are here, the more we might understand these savage natives.

How may the humble Angvai be of assistance?

These two are part of another idea I had about expanding the aesthetic differences of the 'big 5' craftworlds beyond paintjob and army composition (because why have one project when you can have a dozen at the same time?).

It also gives me an opportunity to flesh out how my homebrew craftworld interacts with others, which boils down to insults, disdain and the shadow of a deep-rooted inferiority complex. Basically I read up on how the Spartans treated everyone they ever met and applied that to my belligerent, bellicose, short-tempered eldar :)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #415 on: September 21, 2017, 05:40:09 PM »
dirty cwe armour.. your making me twitch :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #416 on: September 21, 2017, 05:54:54 PM »
Haha it is a little non-standard :) still, if no-one else can remember how to make soap in the 40k universe i don't see why eldar should be the exception ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:26:16 AM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Orange

« Reply #417 on: September 26, 2017, 04:11:41 AM »
I really dig the tree/elf hybrids, it's a level of creepiness that really reminds me of 80s/early 90s chaos. It suits your fluff really well.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #418 on: September 26, 2017, 09:06:39 AM »
Thanks Orange :) really glad you like them. I'm absolutely stealing your method for painting yellow when i come to make my Iyanden dude(tte) by the way ;)

Oh, also. I need some input I think.

Much though I really like Osutharal, he hasn't quite captured what I was after for a Saim Hann Wild Rider. Perhaps the fur ruff isn't unkempt enough, but he's lacking a bit of the 'wild and barbaric' look that I was hoping for.

So, how do I go about fixing that? Someone on the INQ28 boards mentioned replacing his pointing finger with a hand holding a severed head which sounds like a kickass idea 

I was also thinking of clipping some of the little teeth charms off a Space Wolf torso and dotting them around, and maybe a topknot of some sort...

What do you think? Any other ideas?

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #419 on: September 29, 2017, 08:13:47 AM »
Depending on your confidence with green stuff, I'd say add a necklace of severed ears, as trophies. You could do a mix of aeldari and human. The severed head look is cool too. There's a non-gw female dark eldar succubus in production that has a similar stance holding a severed head. Just Google Dark Elf Female Kabalite Champion 28mm.