News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2k Revised All Infantry SMurfs - With 'Allied' Storm Troopers  (Read 921 times)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
Note - Fluff can be found Here

2k Clandestine Guard
HQ
Chapter-Master Alistair, The Defender Of Men
Master
Storm Bolter
Power Weapon
Auspex
Infiltrate
=100pts

Command Squad Ashtart
8 Space Marines
2 Heavy Bolters
Infiltrate
=174pts

HQ=274pts

E
Devastator Squads; Brigid & Durga
(x2) 8 Devastators
4 Missile Launchers
Infiltrate
Tank Hunters
=496pts (248/squad)

E=496pts

T
Scout Squads; Skuld & Verdani
(x2) 8 Scouts
Missile Launcher
7 Sniper Rifles
=298pts (149/squad)

'Potential' Squads; Ceres & Lakshmi
(x2) 8 Daemonhunter Storm Troopers
2 Meltaguns
Veteran w/ Bolt Pistol & Power Fist
=262pts (131/Squad)

'Potential' Squads; Oya & Uzza
(x2) 10 Witch Hunter Storm Troopers
2 Grenade Launchers
Veteran w/ Bolt Pistol & Power Weapon
=262pts (131/Squad)

T=822pts

HS
Devastator Squads; Hel & Kali
(x2) 8 Devastators
4 Heavy Bolters
Infiltrate
=408pts (204/squad)

HS=408pts

Total=2000pts

Model Count=93

Opinions?

~MTWC
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 01:16:07 PM by Makenshi - Your New Evil Dictator »
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
Re: 2k Revised All Infantry SMurfs - With 'Allied' Storm Troopers
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 12:48:39 PM »
A very shooty list!
You should be able to keep the enemy at arm's length.
Four squads of Storm Troopers. Not a bad choice, cheap and shooty.

Offline Invidious

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 06:48:20 PM »
Given your chapters fluff of being on somewhat uncertain terms with the inquisition, I'm not really sure how much it makes sense to take 4x squads of =][= Stormtroopers.  I guess you're going for the guard influence thing though...

You certainly have plenty of firepower, you might get torn up in close combat though.    A sargeant with a powrfist here and there might really make this list shine.

Might also take some tac squads with infiltrate instead of the stormies, or use the drop pod rules for a few squads for precision hitting.  A good list though.

-invidious
The thing I hate the most about 40K is people who amass the largest possible quantities of their Codex's most powerful unit and then proceed to call it "theme".

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 09:04:46 PM »
I like the fluff. You've posted a version of it before, right? The list looks like it would be fun to play, although fast-moving CC armies could cause you some trouble.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: May 1, 2006, 04:35:08 AM »
Given your chapters fluff of being on somewhat uncertain terms with the inquisition, I'm not really sure how much it makes sense to take 4x squads of =][= Stormtroopers.  I guess you're going for the guard influence thing though...

Yes, I'm using the ][ allies to represent the 'potentials', hence why I didn't include any ][s themselves or any SoB, I just wanted a way to put Guard into my Troops choice :).

You certainly have plenty of firepower, you might get torn up in close combat though.    A sargeant with a powrfist here and there might really make this list shine.

Problem with that is that it costs 30pts just to get that Power Fist. The Storm Troopers are the mobile part of the army (having the rapd fire and assault weapons), wich is why they have the Fists too. The Devvies don't have Fists because it's too expensive, and would result in me having to drop 120pts just for the 4 Dev Squads...

Might also take some tac squads with infiltrate instead of the stormies, or use the drop pod rules for a few squads for precision hitting.  A good list though.

No Tac Squads period I'm afraid, it's a fluff thing, they have no Tac Squads, everyone goes from Scout to being a normal trooper in a Devastator Squad, the Scouts only make up a minority of the standing troops, it's the potentials that are really the 'basic' ones.

I like the fluff. You've posted a version of it before, right? The list looks like it would be fun to play, although fast-moving CC armies could cause you some trouble.

Yes, although I could hopefully still blow a huge chunk out of them before they get to my front lines ;).

Thanks for the comments :).

~MTWC
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Invidious

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: May 1, 2006, 12:28:30 PM »
Hm... well a few more things come to mind.

As someone who has use Stormtroopers as allies before, yes they're cheap, yes the special weapons come in handy, but man do they preform miserably when compared to space marines.  Might be better to replace them with scout squads, but yeah I get it.. fluff thing.

So if you're adamant about keeping them, here is about the one place I *wouldnt* suggest a sarge with a fist.  Namely because I think the squads are going to get eaten alive in close combat whether you have one or not.  I've also never been a huge advocate of the grenade launcher.  It's just... eh.  Flamethrowers, meltaguns, plasma guns... just about any other special weapon would be a better choice.

Your elite devestators are a bit expensive, at ~250 points for 8 models.  A lot of it is that a guy with a bolter is costing you 21 points.  I guess I'd suggest either dropping one of the veteran skills, or cutting each squad down to 6 models.  You loose two meat cushions, but you save points.  I dunno, either way they'll probably be target priority #1.  They'll last longer with the extra 2 models, but you're also giving the other guy free vic points for every marine with tank hunter/infiltrate that he's not really using effectively.
The thing I hate the most about 40K is people who amass the largest possible quantities of their Codex's most powerful unit and then proceed to call it "theme".

Offline truehero

• Never forget, Never forgive
« Reply #6 on: May 2, 2006, 10:04:29 AM »
i like the list, but agree with trying to fit in a pwr fist or two, mainly for counter attack purposes

although, the stormtroopers will be good for counter attacking, if only to hold the enemy while you re-group.

I like the idea of using stormtroopers allied to my army, sounds interesting. While yes they do perform bad compared to marines. They perform as well as anything worth the same points. Plus the special weapons always come in handy.

Plus they add numbers

Let us know how it performs on the table top

Most likely lurking... Remember, i'm always watching!