News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: If you are going to post in the Inquisition forum, please read this first!  (Read 16283 times)

Offline Ranger Astheria

• Formerly 'Ranger of Alaitoc'
  • Ancient
  • Holding onto a thread of hope...
    • Realm of Runes
Quote from: Draza the Phoenix
*See if the forum has a another thread on the same topic. If another thread is similiar, it's best to just ask questions there

*If posting links from army builder, please make sure that you edit out all points costs and armour values. Troublesome units and powers that come up
*Psychic power points costs
*Dreadnought armour values
*Vehicle upgrades
Make sure you double check your posts, or you'll find me doing the editing for you >:(

***When posting army lists, do not edit your army lists after advice has been given. This makes posts in the thread redundant, as most will make no sense. When making changes to your army, please post another list.

Thankyou

Posting in General

First, verse yourself in the rules of 40kOnline, which are in the Forum Rules and Announcements board at the top of the board index. This covers rules regarding Flaming, Trolling, Digging, Rascism/Lude Comments, Bumping, and everything else that members must know in order to keep this forum civil.

Specific to the Inquisition forum, our policy on digging is that posts should be kept to threads which have been replied to within the past seven or eight days at most. Anything past this point is considered digging, and threads that have been dug up will be locked unless the added information is absolutely vital. There is next to nothing that could actually justify digging, as additions in general should be kept to new threads (for isntance, if you've got an army list from two months ago that you've modified, just make a new thread rather than bringing up the old one).

Posting an Army List

First have you read any of the other army posts, someone may have already posted a list like your's and you will get an idea about how poeple tend to view some choices.

Second is you list legal? please check that you have taken the min/max unit choices on the force organization chart, and that wargear and upgrades are right.

Third tell us the type of opponents you normaly fight or if you want a blanced take on anyone style army, it will affect any advice.

Fourth how experenced are you? If you are a newbie thats fine say so (we tend to assume you are anyway) or a vet looking to fine tune your list.  Also what kind of tactics do you use?  How much terrain do you play with?  This and the above will help improve the quality of your responses.

Fifth please do not post upgrade specific point values for any units as they are copyrighted material and could lead to Games Workshop requesting shut down of message boards on the site.  This is not an optional step.  However, total unit cost is fine to show.  Also, if someone helpfully points out that you should delete the points values please be respectful and realize they are just trying to help.

Sixth, if you could at the beginning of the title of an army list thread:

[HM] I own the models in the list - Have Models
[NM] I need to buy the list - Need Models
[HM/NM] I own some of the list and need to buy some

This helps people know if you actually own the models as this can affect some peoples responses to your army list.

This forum is the place for not one, but many armies.  If you are posting an army list, be specific in your title.  Be sure to tell others that it's a Radical Deamonhunter list, or a Sisters of Battle based Witch Hunters list.  This will help stop people from entering threads they don't want to.

Also, if your thread isn't generating much interest, then don't reply just to bump up the thread to the top, if you're having problems getting people to look, then PM some people you know and ask them kindly to take a gander at your list.

This was partially copied from PF199 on the Eldar Online boards, and others who have made suggestions, no offense is intended to anyone, I thought this would be helpful to other message boards.  Thanks for reading this.  
« Last Edit: January 7, 2006, 06:18:51 PM by Farseer Ulthrion »

Click my banner to visit Realm of Runes for all your WFB needs!

Offline Bryndon

• Denizen of War3.com
Re:If you are going to post an army list please read this first!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 10:18:54 PM »
No problem.  Do you want me to edit my list? (Burnt roses of Tarnak.)
Registered Denizen of war3.com
Hail Blizzard!  Hail Games Workshop!

Offline Ranger Astheria

• Ancient
    • Realm of Runes
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 10:21:23 PM »
If you would be so kind.  I know Scythe has been busy keeping people notified of posting points in their lists.  If you provide the above info it would increase the quality of your responses as well.

Offline Scythe

• Flamer: Superiority Complex BANNED
  • Banned for flaming
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2003, 03:04:10 AM »
Also to add on to point 5: The only pts I want to see is the total unit cost. No upgrades or the price for each model.

Offline Farseer Ulthrion

• Hello All,
  • Ancient
    • In case anyone is wondering what I do at university
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2003, 07:07:42 AM »
Hello all,

Good points! Also, I would like to add one:
Point 6: It is often useful when you explain a bit of tactics with your army. What do you plan each/some squad to so on the battlefield? Maybe some ionfo on the use of terrain (and the quantity of terrain you use).

In general, the more information you provide about the circumstances, the better the advice will be people can give you.

Farseer Ulthrion
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Read about my  Daughters of the Martyred Lady (Sisters of Battle).
Check out my collection of Manga and Anime.

Offline feintstar

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2003, 07:13:18 AM »
Fine fine, okay okay I get the point!!!
We see the coming of pain in the deep blue depths of probability. We turn the tides that sweep away the marks from the sands of time. We are the Grey. We stand between the candle, and the star. We stand between the darkness, and the light. We are the guardians of that island of hope, amidst the storm that comes, that heralds the end of eternity.

Offline Scythe

• Banned for flaming
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2003, 10:12:46 AM »
Farseer Ulthrion the only problem with your point is that many people are able to change your terrain, or you are constantley playing on different boards.

Most of the points are good ideas to stick to. But Point 5 is only the one you must keep to when posting lists, unless you selfishly want to see these Websites closed because of legal action by Games Workshop. This comes right from the top. For the Purple Raine.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2003, 07:51:40 PM by The Scythe of Sematii »

Offline Farseer Ulthrion

• Hello All,
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2003, 11:31:36 AM »
Hello all,

Well, Scythe of Sematii, the thing is, you can give all sorts of tactics like utilize cover well, only to get a reaction back: we hardly have any terrain.

It's just that the more info you give, the better info you can expect. If you know you're playing with lots of terrain, tactics can radically change. If you know it's more like an open dessert, again, tactics will radically change.

Of course it's not something you *need* to say in a post, but some knowledge beforehand can help, and I think that most people know the rough quantity of terrain they will be using.

And after all, they are only guidelines, not prerequisits :).

Farseer Ulthrion
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
-Edsger W. Dijkstra

chaotica

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2003, 02:14:42 PM »
i would just like to point this out how can we give agood impression of what a charcter can do unless we say what equipment(upgrades)he has been given. but other wise a agree

Offline Scythe

• Banned for flaming
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2003, 07:52:41 PM »
Point 5: Is definately not optional.

Offline Ranger Astheria

• Ancient
    • Realm of Runes
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2003, 09:36:09 PM »
I've taken the above into account and updated the original post.  If anyone sees Raine online or someone with the power to sticky this it would be widely appreciated.

Offline Poe, the Sociopath

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Imperial Vengence at its finest.
Some guidelines for posting Army Lists!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2003, 03:09:19 PM »
as time goes on, the Inquistion board won't always be just one army (it is 3 right now!).  So what I would suggest to title your army list for which army it is.  Not only will this clear up confusion but it will help orginize the board.  Also this would help people rate your list, as they see that you play their army and thus would want to help.  However with '1500 point list' no one could really tell what army it is in advanced.  Also when the new Ordo books come out it will be a pain to sort them! So lets get in the habit now!

Also it wouldn't be bad to say Radical or Puritan Deamonhunters!
« Last Edit: May 2, 2003, 05:11:59 AM by Farseer Ulthrion »
Rosethorn wishes Aegis; Whisperless Void.

From death I come for you!

Offline Farseer Ulthrion

• Hello All,
  • Ancient
Re:Here's an Idea about posting Lists!
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2003, 03:23:18 PM »
Hello all,

The board already has army lists for 2 armies (Daemonhunters, and Sisters of Battle), and I can understand that some people (who might not have that much time to spend on these boards, or have a slow connection) wouldn't like to waste any time opening threads only to find out that they are about armies that they don't play.

I think that in addition to Radicals, and Puritans, you can also state Grey Knights, because there have been quite a few pure-grey knight armies.

Also, while we're at it, remember that we can't post statlines, wargear abilities and specific point costs here. Just go with the cost of entire units.

EDIT: Merge succesful

Farseer Ulthrion
« Last Edit: May 3, 2003, 07:26:43 AM by Farseer Ulthrion »
-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Offline Ranger Astheria

• Ancient
    • Realm of Runes
Re:Here's an Idea about posting Lists!
« Reply #13 on: May 1, 2003, 10:18:29 PM »
I posted some time back some guidelines for posting army lists that you may want to sticky, Farseer Ulthrion.  It's titled something like Please Read this before posting an army list.

We could also use the format that the Chaos forum uses:

At the beginning of the title of an army list thread:

[HM] I own the models in the list - Have Models
[NM] I need to buy the list - Need Models
[HM/NM] I own some of the list and need to buy some

This helps people know if you actually own the models as this can affect some peoples responses to your army list.

Offline Farseer Ulthrion

• Hello All,
  • Ancient
« Reply #14 on: May 3, 2003, 07:39:26 AM »
Hello all,

I've merged the two posting guidelines.

Farseer Ulthrion
« Last Edit: May 11, 2003, 04:01:38 PM by Farseer Ulthrion »
-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Offline Scythe

• Banned for flaming
« Reply #15 on: May 3, 2003, 10:59:26 AM »
Good idea

Offline ruprecht

• The Internet Movie Project
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2003, 01:12:43 PM »
Also, if you post an illegal list and somebody helpfully points out exactly why it's illegal, don't get all childishly defensive and slag them off.  
ruprecht
Eldar of the Vantuin : http://vantuin.radsy.com
Order of the Burning Daemon : http://sisters.radsy.com

Offline Ranger Astheria

• Ancient
    • Realm of Runes
« Reply #17 on: July 5, 2003, 08:15:35 PM »
Good point, I'll add that!

Thanks!  :D

Offline Brevet Captain Fel

Re: If you are going to post an army list please read this first!
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2003, 09:46:56 PM »
ummmm question...about posting, actually not posting specific points values for individual models, only for entire squads, what about individual models/Idependent characters, such as assassins or lone GK GMs?
Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent.

Offline Farseer Ulthrion

• Hello All,
  • Ancient
Re: If you are going to post an army list please read this first!
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2003, 07:49:46 AM »
Hello all,

ummmm question...about posting, actually not posting specific points values for individual models, only for entire squads, what about individual models/Idependent characters, such as assassins or lone GK GMs?

Just post the costs for choices in the force organisation chart. So a single assassin, or a grand master without a bodyguard, would just have it's cost with it.

Hope this helps.

Farseer Ulthrion
-Edsger W. Dijkstra