News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: August is Boss Pole Month  (Read 7100 times)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
August is Boss Pole Month
« on: August 1, 2011, 09:01:33 AM »
Announcing the WoTW August competition;
Boss Pole Month

This competition will be a writing competition. You will write a fluff/fiction piece about how your boss, mek, or nob, got his boss pole. What is on the boss pole, how it got there, what it means to the boys that the boss/mek/nob leads. How he found the stuff that got on there, and so on.

A Picture of the model would be great at the end of the article (not required, but if you have one, please do).

Tell a good story about the boss/mek/nob and how he became a boss/mek/nob and how, when, where, why, what he did to earn him a boss pole (i.e. how he came to power). Make sure to include details about what his boss pole looks like as mentioned in the first paragraph. A minimum of 500 words and a maximum of 5000 words. Remember; this is a fluff piece and not a full novel.

The competition will run until the end of the month, and I am recruiting judges as we speak. At the end of the month the judges will vote on who has the best story and the winners will be announced.

Also, and this is important, to be judged as part of your fluff, will be your spelling and grammar, if it is hard to read then it will be hard to get a good vote from the judges. If you don’t have a spell checker in a word processing program then at least use the spell checker in the forum when you copy/paste the words into your reply, but before you post it. Poorly written stories will be shunned. Try to minimize ork speak, use it only when “quoting” what the hero of you story actually says. If you don’t know how to use a spell checker then at least have someone else read the piece before you post it.

To sum up:
First, post a reply here that you are entering the Boss Pole Competition.
Second, post your work in the fiction forum. There is a thread in the fluff forum for this; you can find it HERE
Third, when you post your story, you post it there, and then put a link to it here. That way we know to go looking for it.

I look forward to all the good stories we are about to read

Winners: top prize is 15 teef, second is 10, and third is 5. Honorable mentions 3, and if the judges think your work was just too good, then some bonus teef will be awarded as well. 
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
Re: August is Boss Pole Month
« Reply #1 on: August 1, 2011, 09:15:33 AM »
Consider me in.

Boss Badax da Dred Killa, da 'umie masha, da boss of da waagh of waaghs!
« Last Edit: August 1, 2011, 03:16:57 PM by Jack_Merridew »

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #2 on: August 1, 2011, 09:47:25 AM »
I'm game to put in a story...  I'll either be doing Augmire Skullkraka or my fabled mek Gargasmek... Not sure yet...

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline the_humble_terminator

• Tankbusta Boy
  • Judgement Day is inevitable...See you soon!
« Reply #3 on: August 1, 2011, 11:35:23 AM »
I am going to enter. Just so everyone knows....is Ghaz allowed?

EDIT: If he is....I choose him.....

As it's a competition about YOUR own characters what do you think? Or do you not bother with such piffling details?
« Last Edit: August 1, 2011, 01:54:47 PM by Changeyname »
IfThe Terminator Series' Skynet would realize something.....

If they send Terminators back in time every time they are about to lose....but instead...they send them to the point at which judgement day occurred...and each time after, send to about 3 months after the time they last received a terminator...The resistance would lose a lot quicker. As the technology would actually be improving too fast for the resistance to react.....The Terminator series would end...and Skynet would have won.

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #4 on: August 1, 2011, 01:18:36 PM »
Well I think I need to give this a try since my army has no fluff. Just a BOB the burna in it and he is too bent on Burning to be the boss. 

I just need to name and come up with a story no sweat.  Right this should be interesting

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: August 1, 2011, 02:21:35 PM »
uuummm, I kinda forgot, I too am entering this contest, since I am not a judge I might at least get an honorable mention, or at least not laughed off the boards.

Mine will be about my AWTY Dakkatoof, biker boss extraordinaire.  8)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

• Tankbusta Boy
« Reply #6 on: August 1, 2011, 02:42:18 PM »
As it's a competition about YOUR own characters what do you think? Or do you not bother with such piffling details?

Technically, I own a Ghaz model, thus making him a character of mine....which is why I asked.

If they send Terminators back in time every time they are about to lose....but instead...they send them to the point at which judgement day occurred...and each time after, send to about 3 months after the time they last received a terminator...The resistance would lose a lot quicker. As the technology would actually be improving too fast for the resistance to react.....The Terminator series would end...and Skynet would have won.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #7 on: August 1, 2011, 04:17:16 PM »
You own a model. Not the character. There's a difference.

• Tankbusta Boy
« Reply #8 on: August 1, 2011, 07:26:50 PM »
You own a model. Not the character. There's a difference.

This is dumb, So, now I have to issue a patent on my warboss backgrounds? What's wrong with the people on this forum?

Godspeed, you aren't a member of the waaagh, and I have never seen you on this section on 40k online.

Were you intending to find a way to troll me by coming on this thread? This is too much. Moderators, and people with a lot a posts also, should know how people do not want to be continuously seeing posts made in a negative manner at all. Especially directed at them. "what do you think?" is not quite a friendly post at all. People in an administrative position want people coming back correct? Same as managers at different stores. You want them to help you out, so you don't ridicule their thought process.

"or do you not bother with such piffling details?"

Great use of a commonly underused word. However, it is not too underused to figure out your meaning behind it. I can see that Ghazghkull was not a character I had come up with. MY REASONS FOR ASKING EXACTLY. Either answer respectfully, or shut up.

The intent of the contest is quite clear, follow the intent or don't bother to enter. Your question was valid and you received a valid answer. Thus please refrain from baiting others.

Cheers and I do hope that other disregard your bait.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2011, 08:54:42 PM by moc065 »

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
  • Armies: Malifaux :P
« Reply #9 on: August 1, 2011, 07:41:23 PM »
Humble Terminator, I think the point of this competition is to write about an original character so we can fully exercise our creative muscles. Using Ghazkull as your main character wouldn't really be in the spirit of the competition, as he already has his own story and background.

I don't think anyone is trying to be rude, just pointing out that it would be unfair on others who have to think up their entire plot, characters etc, rather than just using already existing material.

Also, I would like to join in the competition.

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #10 on: August 1, 2011, 07:56:50 PM »
i'm game. (as if i don't have enough to do lol)
Athaga Mor
40k - Deathguard CSM, Deathskullz Orks, Daemons, IG Traitors

Current project: painting my new chaos warhound titan

• Tankbusta Boy
« Reply #11 on: August 1, 2011, 08:12:21 PM »
I am competing nevertheless...but the negativity and destructive criticism directed at myself, and other members as well is too frequent in the entirety of things. Especially from people in administrative command.

Count me in though.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #12 on: August 1, 2011, 08:46:06 PM »
You are going to take this the wrong way regardless of how I say it... so I will just say it.

Get over yourself.

There has been no negativity and no destructive criticism directed at you.  You asked a question and it was answered that Ghaz was not allowed as he is not your character.  As it clearly said at the start that this was for your characters, people were right to question whether you read the post or not.  Godspeed and Saracenar then went on to clarify why using Ghaz was not allowed in your case, you do not own the character, you own the model. 

Just because someone tells you "no" does not mean they are directing negativity or destructive criticism towards you.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

• Tankbusta Boy
« Reply #13 on: August 1, 2011, 09:08:24 PM »
Just because someone tells you "no" does not mean they are directing negativity or destructive criticism towards you.

GREAT. So, when you read my post, that Changeyname had commented on, where do you see a "No?"

Thanks, I appreciate your concern.

Also, the issue was resolved for the most part. Adding to a part of a conversation that is ended doesn't make much sense in the grand scheme of things.

You see two people talking, and you hear something said you do not agree with, however, by the time you get there, the discussion was settled, and that part of the conversation was over. Do you STILL comment on the past issue? I didn't think so.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #14 on: August 1, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »
[gmod]GML's post was in response to your "but the negativity and destructive criticism directed at myself, and other members as well is too frequent in the entirety of things. Especially from people in administrative command" comment. To use your own analogy it would be more akin to arriving when one of the people having the argument is now grumbling about the other(s), rather than the issue having being settled. Regardless, rather than carry this on here and further de-rail this if you (or anyone else) want to discuss the matter further feel free to PM me (or any of the Globals or Rasmus, the Admin) or to post in Suggestions, Questions and Comments. Any more posts about this from anyone will be deleted/split (if they serve no other purpose) or edited (if they otherwise contain on-topic content) so that conversation can resume here without any more interruption. ~MTWC[/gmod]
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
  • too much fun is bad? Pish Posh
  • Armies: Blood Angels,  Orks, Eldar,
« Reply #15 on: August 1, 2011, 09:54:32 PM »
As a judge for this fun event that Skeeter came up with and with going by the rules of said event I'm going to say No you can't use Ghaz's story, you can use his model if it's modded up to represent another boss in your army ie; A mega armoured warboss named Billy with the same load out.

Also I'd like to enter my Warboss Foulbelch Gutripper

3 Things matter in marksmanship.... Location location location

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
  • too much fun is bad? Pish Posh
  • Armies: Blood Angels,  Orks, Eldar,
« Reply #16 on: August 1, 2011, 10:11:13 PM »
Being the post keeper can I get a Moderator move this post to the second slot so it'll be on page one of this thread and directly under the rules for this competition as well as being easier to see and modify as to who's doing what, thanks in advance

Orks Entered:
Jack_Merridew: Warboss Badax da Dredkilla
adamscurr: Big Mek Garasmek
typhon:
the_humble_terminator: Warboss Flazebrunk Da Ork uv da Iren Fist
SKEETERGOD: Biker Warboss AWTY Dakkatoof
Saraceanar:
Athaga Mor:
The Nightwalker:
Tactica Posted:

Battle Report Posted:

Pictures Posted:

Stories:
Judges:
adamscurr
Rayvn70
Saracenar
the_humble_terminator
Zangolas

I'll keep this post updated daily with links to all entrants stories and pics and anything else to help them win. The Judges are taking bribes by the way

« Last Edit: August 7, 2011, 07:25:57 PM by Rayvn70 »

3 Things matter in marksmanship.... Location location location

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting

• Tankbusta Boy
« Reply #17 on: August 1, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
I posted my entry, The boss is named Flazebrunk, Da Ork uv Da Iren Fizt!

You can see my entry here.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2011, 10:22:21 PM by the_humble_terminator »

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #18 on: August 1, 2011, 11:01:57 PM »
A riveting tale of Gargasmek is now posted...

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=216350.msg2633567#msg2633567

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: August 2, 2011, 09:40:34 AM »
My entry is written and posted, Enjoy!

You can find my entry here: A Tale of AWTY Dakkatoof

That was so fun, I think I might just have to write another one  ;D   Alas, I know only one entry per contestant, but then I will have one for the next contest, hmmmm, maybe I should start writing for the saint snick contest that we have in December....  ???