News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How to field some odd beasts?  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
How to field some odd beasts?
« on: December 13, 2013, 11:13:29 AM »
I love these two models so I plan to add them to my collection (when I get round to it).

Although I think of myself as a modeller first, it is always nice to get minis on the table after putting in the time and effort to paint them.  I don't play WHFB, but I think these models easily fit the fluff as large beasts captured for the arena (I am planning to make the dragon without its rider).  So the question is, what rules do I use for them?  Here are my ideas so far...

CWE allies
The dragon counts as a Wraithknight.  It would be fairly mobile, but unable to fly properly (perhaps its wings were clipped).  Whichever weapons I costed for could be the effect of its breath (sadly no templates).  If I used the Iyanden rules, it could even by my HQ (I think - don't own the book yet), so I wouldn't have to take a random Farseer to explain away.  I can't see anything on the list which could obviously be the Kharibdyss though.  Perhaps my opponents would let me use it is as 5 wraithguard (troops in Iyanden list?) - ie. Wraithguard stats with 5 wounds and 5 weapons (decreasing as it gets injured) - I'm thinking d-scythes to represent some sort of noxious breath.
The big advantage of this setup is the fact that the beasts would be battle brothers.
[Dear moderators: the questions about the Iyanden book are rhetorical; I am not asking any member of the community to provide me with rules information before I buy the book myself.]

Chaos Space Marine allies
The dragon is obviously a Heldrake with Baleflamer.  Sure, it has to use vehicle rules, but it now flies, vector strikes and breathes fire - I can't think of anything else in 40k with rules closer to a dragon.  The Kharybdiss counts as a maulerfiend (or perhaps a Defiler with cc weapons?).  The use of vehicle rules isn't a real problem as penetrating hits etc are just vital organs.  Exploding is a bit unusual, but there are plenty of weird beasts in the galaxy.
Problem is they would be desperate allies.  This could be explained for the beasts by just saying that they are really vicious, and not tamed, so they have to be watched.  Thing is, I would also have to take a CSM HQ and troop choice which would have the same issue, and need explaining.

Chaos Daemon allies
The dragon could be a winged daemon prince, making it a flying monstrous creature (and what else would a 40k dragon be?).  The Kharybdiss could be some other type of greater daemon.  The problem is, they would now be subject to the Warp Storm rules, as would the rest of my army.  And I would have the same problems of desperate allies and requiring an additional troop choice.

Tyrannid allies
Clearly the first hurdle is that no-one can take tyrannid allies, so I would need opponent agreement.  The dragon could be a Flyrant, achieving my aim of using him as a Flying Monstrous Creature again.  I don't know what the Kharibdyss would be - perhaps a Carnifex.  If I did this, I would need some troops once again, but on the beast theme, they could just be captured Tyrannid creatures used in the arena or in battle.  If the troops were termagants, I could even count the Kharybdiss as a (funny looking) tervigon.

So what do peole think?  Do any of the ideas have mileage?  Does anyone have any better ways I could use these models with my Dark Eldar?

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: How to field some odd beasts?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 12:17:43 PM »
FYI, the Warp Storm only applies if your Daemons are the primary detachment, so no worries there. Also, Daemons troops are dirt cheap and can probably compliment a DE force pretty well. Plaguebearers for squatting on an objective, or perhaps Daemonettes for some additional CC potential with enough speed to more-or-less keep up.

Offline Galef

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 05:09:19 PM »
Keep in mind, that as Desperate Allies, Daemon units can never score in a Dark Eldar army, not even the troops.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 08:14:30 PM »
Keep in mind, that as Desperate Allies, Daemon units can never score in a Dark Eldar army, not even the troops.

Ah, good point. Daemonettes all the way, then--disposable, rending cannon fodder is something the DE could use, methinks.

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 03:36:01 AM »
My problem with that approach would be explaining the Daemonettes.  The two monsters aren't daemons; they're exotic space beasts which just happen to use the rules for daemons.  I'm not sure the DE can / would capture servants of She Who Thirsts to use in the arena or on the battlefield.
Using the same logic, I could say that the Daemonettes are captured slaves of some description. If I do that I won't want to use the Daemonettes models. Any suggestions for what to use instead?

Offline Galef

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 01:07:59 PM »
Dark Elf Witches would look great as Cultists of Khaine. Heck, even regular Wyches with some conversion (ie no pistols) and an exotic paint shceme could work.

You can say they are Wyches that have been blessed by Khaine and therefore used the rules for Daemonettes.

I have always had the impression that each Daemonette in existence was once an Eldar that Slaanesh consumed during the Fall.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »
I do love the new Witch Elf models. Thing is, if I used them with Daemonette rules, they would be desperate allies, so the fluff doesn't work out if I say they're followers of Khaine (although DE don't worship Khaine; they have the Dark Muses - Codex DE p.43). I would be more inclined to say that they are enslaved warrior women from some world, who have some sort of supernatural abilities to explain Daemonette stats.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 09:36:18 AM »
I don't know--I think Desperate Allies would work for Khaine Cultists just fine. They're complete, bloodthirsty psychopaths, so obviously your average Dark Eldar wouldn't trust or like them--they'd kill them as likely as anybody else!