News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How are Wracks as troops currently?  (Read 3054 times)

Offline rushdrill

• "Prais be to... Ouch! That hurt!"
How are Wracks as troops currently?
« on: November 21, 2013, 05:09:27 PM »
I'm just starting a Dark Eldar & will run 10 at a thousand points.

5 in a venom double splinters x2, or 10 in a raider w/t denigrater.

If I do the 10 is the Acothyst upgrade worth it with venom? I feel I like the electrcosdive whip but without assault grenades are situational at best.

I'll post my list during discussions.
"Life leads you, you don't lead life."

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
Re: How are Wracks as troops currently?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 08:11:48 AM »
Wracks are currently a mediocre troop choice.  Warriors or 5 wyches with haywire grenades in venoms is the way to go. 

If you are going to run 10 wracks then the acothyst is worth the leadership upgrade.  Though you can't take a venom if you take ten wracks.  Electrocorrosive whip is not something I have ever seen taken.  He already has pretty good weapon options.  I modeled mine with an agonizer and I wish I had left him with the 2 poisoned weapons.

I would make sure to include a pair of liquefier guns. Nothing like surprising a group of marines with some low ap templates.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 11:52:37 AM »
I haven't used my dark eldar much of late, but wracks are pretty alright.  They won't threaten vehicles the way warriors or wyches can, but their liquifier guns can be pretty nasty. They would be better if they could still get +1 Strength from Furious Charge as it would let you reroll to-wound against T4 enemies, but they still get said benefit against T3.

Offline rushdrill

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 01:13:38 PM »
Dark Eldar 699
Hemonculus
-Venomblad
-Liquifier Gun
-Shattershard
Total: 80

Wracks x5
-Liquifier Gun x1
-Venom
-Splinter Cannon
-Nightshield
-Snares
Wracks x5
-Liquifier Gun x1
-Venom
-Splinter Cannon
-Nightshield
-Snare
Total: 280

Wyches x7
-Haywire x7
-Razorflails
-Hekatrix
-Phantasm
-Raider
-Aethersail
-Night Shield
-Flickerfield
-Snares
-Shock Prow
-Torment
Total: 219

Reavers x4
-Heatlance
-Cluster
Total: 120
I'm currently working on a 700 points that have. I have so many upgrades on the skimmer to fill points right now. I'm going to build up to 1000 with with 2x, 4 man blaster trueborn to go in the venom's. While consolidating the Wracks and purchasing another raider for them dropping a bunch of the upgrades.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:15:56 PM by rushdrill »

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 02:08:06 PM »
The only upgrades I take are aether sails on my raiders. Sometimes I'll throw in grisly trophies if they are moving grotesques around as I don't want them to break.

The shattershard is a bit redundant on your haemonculous. If you're looking to fill up some points I'd drop a few upgrades and make your HQ an ancient. I think the extra wound, initiative, and WS will make it worthwhile.

Do you only have seven wyches?  Why not keep dropping upgrades and make them 9 wyches led by an ancient?

Haemonculus Ancient 95
liquefier gun & Venom blade

Wracks (5) liquefier gun
venom splinter cannon

wracks (5) liquefier gun
venom splinter cannon

Wyches (8+ hekatrix)
Haywire, razorflails
Hekatrix w/ agonizer & PGL
Raider w/ flickerfield & aether sails

Reavers (4)
heat lance & cluster caltrops

Total 698

Next thing you need to add is a pair of ravagers and maybe some trueborn with blasters in a venom.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline rushdrill

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
Yes, I'm going for trueborne, blaster, venom combo next. Undecided about giving them haywire grenades too. One more raider & revenger. Also the ancient upgrade is simple logical choice.

The 7 wyches, is just for a personal estatik that I would like to try out.

Thanks for your replies.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 06:03:32 PM by rushdrill »

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 10:40:48 PM »
they don't need haywire grenades. when the venom dies it will most likely explode killing most of not all of your trueborn inside. on the bright side, any of them that survive will get a cover save from the venoms crater.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Revener

• Moooo!
    • VÄS
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 05:14:06 PM »
I found that wracks works just fine and its not uncommon for them to out perform my wych units. I do run a Close Combat list though and have a unit of wrack to support each wych unit.

I usually run 8 per unit  and only upgrade is acothyst, I seldom miss not having ranged weapons and with furious charge they can easily glance most vehicles to death. Actually a combo charge with two wracks units against one unit can be really nasty when you get to RR wounds. I've taken out terminator squads in 1 CC phase doing that.
I have tried running wracks in venoms but found that to be less then optimal, venoms work better with a shooty unit on them so they can hang back a bit and shoot. With wracks on them you want to get close and assault and the venoms die much easier then.

5 warriors with a blaster is a nice and cheap venom crew, that actually do more than what one would think.

Assault units need Grissly Trophies on their transports so they don't break if they mess up that crucial first round of combat and then get shot up.
I hardly ever use Nightshields anymore, but I always take flicker field on my wych transports even if they get a jink save. Because wyches can not afford to be shot down, also its nice to have a vehicle save if the raider get assaulted wich happens quite often when you deliver CC units. Because it really helps to have raiders alive at the end of the game.

and now I lost my train of thought............ ..............
Anyway......