News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: making a come back( tear my list a part)  (Read 618 times)

Offline lapiaz

making a come back( tear my list a part)
« on: January 22, 2005, 06:44:47 AM »
 I use to play the guard long time ago when a comando plastic box was available and the crew of the tank can make an escape from a destroyed tank , that is a long time ago

Anyway after much thinking I decide to give a go and star playing  the guard again( with the nex codex and the doctrines an all that). so I make 1000  point list from the old models. this list is the core of the army, I can add models to reach 1500 point but I can't change this  core. What can I add to make  this a 1500  no mater if is balanced or defence or assault force.(shoot away)

HQ:
      comand platoon, misile launcher master vox heroic senior oficer bolt pistol CCW iron discipline
      antitank squad 3 lascannon
      mortar squad   3 mortar

troops:
           Infantry Platoon
           command squad:
           2granade launchers 2ccw laspistol vox caster iron discipline junior oficer CCW Plasma pistol( chimera multilaser HBolter)

2x infantry squad:
          misile launcer,granade launcher, vox caster sargent with lasgun

granadier squad: two flamer, vox caster ,sargent hell pistol ccw (chimera Multi laser, Heavy bolter)

Heavy : Leman Russ hull heavy bolter heavy bolter sponson

Offline Sergeant Neyac

Re: making a come back( tear my list a part)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 07:10:42 AM »
Core army looks good & as you said you couldn't change it I have only one thing - what Doctrines are you using?? I know you have Iron Discipline & Grenadiers as I can see them in your list but what other 3? Also how big is your Grenadier squad?

As to expansion -

1) Another Platoon or expand your current one with at least one more squad. In either put in Autocannons/Heavy Bolter to help you deal with horde armies.

2) Another Russ or maybe a Demolisher to give opponents another big tank to worry about.

3) More Grenadiers or some Stormies depending on your Doctrines. If Stormies give them Meltaguns & Infiltrate/Deep Strike so they can drop in and mess with tanks. Small units probably be best as they won't last long no matter how big they are.

Really your Doctrine choices will dictate what you can/cannot include in expansion so more info. on these would be useful.

Hope this helps a little.
The only justifiable risk is one that can do more harm to the enemy then it can to you. All risks must be calculated in your favour. Otherwise, you are fighting for the enemy! - Tactica Imperium

Offline Col. Or'es'o (retired)

• Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • not quite dead last...
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 07:19:24 AM »
your army isnt large or mobile so id ditch the vox system. you can still keep the models as they are of course. :)

the flamers are wasted on the grenadier squad, id slap something more shooty on them.

you need some anti-infantry stuff. perhaps some heavy bolters, autocannons, etc on new squads? the missile launcher can fulfil this if you get some more of em, but they are more expensive of course.

in any case, in 1500, id definitely get some more basic squads (max out your platoon even), and maybe get a demolisher or hellhound for some close support.

welcome back to the guard btw.  :D
Cheers!

Go little tau man! BANG BANG BANG!
Quote from: TheJester
How come everyone quotes Lomendil, and nobody ever quotes me?

Offline lapiaz

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 07:30:21 AM »
 the granadier are 10 strong   whit the chimeras and demolisher  I have 4 heavy bolters and two multi laser to deal whit hordes, so far I don't have any other doctrine yet, Point taken for another squad . thinking on take a veteran squad (as I have old model from the comando range)
Core army looks good & as you said you couldn't change it I have only one thing - what Doctrines are you using?? I know you have Iron Discipline & Grenadiers as I can see them in your list but what other 3? Also how big is your Grenadier squad?

As to expansion -

1) Another Platoon or expand your current one with at least one more squad. In either put in Autocannons/Heavy Bolter to help you deal with horde armies.

2) Another Russ or maybe a Demolisher to give opponents another big tank to worry about.

3) More Grenadiers or some Stormies depending on your Doctrines. If Stormies give them Meltaguns & Infiltrate/Deep Strike so they can drop in and mess with tanks. Small units probably be best as they won't last long no matter how big they are.

Really your Doctrine choices will dictate what you can/cannot include in expansion so more info. on these would be useful.

Hope this helps a little.

Offline Col. Or'es'o (retired)

• Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • not quite dead last...
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 07:46:56 AM »
well, if you're gonna count vehicle weapons, you have 5 heavy bolters (and 3 mortars of course!). But you shouldn't rely on tank weapons in any case. Your tank should mostly befiring at hard stuff, and thus those heavy bolters are mostly useless offensively (but im not suggesting you drop em, they are fine for defensive purposes or for when your turret gets blown off). id go with more missile launchers to get a theme going, but tis just a matter of taste.

Go little tau man! BANG BANG BANG!
Quote from: TheJester
How come everyone quotes Lomendil, and nobody ever quotes me?

Offline Parak

• Colonel - Best Painted Guard Army
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I like my brick
    • My Blog!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 10:41:56 AM »
Missile luanchers would be good. I think now adays missile launchers outstrip standard heavy bolter teams, because with the new rules its important to have a longer range than ork big shootas (because they can shoot at any infantry as long as they pass a ld test, which my mate has an annoying habit of doing.)
 What about a counter attacking unit like ogryns or rough riders. The roughriders could be shielded by your tanks until they are needed. Ogryns can obsorb a hell of alot of small weapons fire aswell. Another question is what army do you mostly come up against?