News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Change of command  (Read 760 times)

Offline _D3viL_Hunt3r_

Change of command
« on: September 7, 2005, 02:14:34 AM »
Hey all im just wondering with my army, if for my own fluff reasons i can change the section commanders to corporals instead of sergeants. Ive alredy taken off one shevron on each of my seco's to signify they are corporals not sergeants. And like in the actual army have 1 sergeant per platoon. Is this legal or illegal???? and reply will be muchly appreciated.
"I came here by my own free will... Or so I thought. However... To tell the truth, I'm afraid of myself. ...There is a part of me that I don't understand." Cloud Strife

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
Re: Change of command
« Reply #1 on: September 7, 2005, 02:26:41 AM »
You can call your officers whatever you want to call them. That's why they are Junior Officer, Senior Officer, and Heroic Senior Officer. It allows people to call their Officers whatever rank they like, rather than fixing them on Lieutenant, Captain and Colonel.

So yeah, if you want... Just as long as you pay the points for everything.

Offline Karl Eller

• OMG Laserguns!, Colonel-Commissar
  • Ancient
  • This is madness?! THIS IS LINUX!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 7, 2005, 02:28:08 AM »
Fluff wise, it is pretty iffy. I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but in most modern day armies, sergeants are in squad command slots, and platoon command is usually a Lieutenant.

Rules wise, however, there is nothing to say that your squad leaders have to be sergeants. You can call them whatever you want to. Just make sure that your opponent knows what they are prior to the battle.

Eller
"Explain how bad this turbulence will be"
"Oh god! Oh god! We're going to die"
"*over the intercom* Uh, this is your captain speaking, we're going to experience a few minor bumps, then uh... crash!"

Offline _D3viL_Hunt3r_

« Reply #3 on: September 7, 2005, 02:36:18 AM »
Actually ur wrong in modern day armies it depends on the country from which the army is, and in the australian army theres a section of 9 men lead by a corporal who is their section commander, and the platoon is lead by a plt commander and a plt sergeant, i kno this cos i am in the australian army.
"I came here by my own free will... Or so I thought. However... To tell the truth, I'm afraid of myself. ...There is a part of me that I don't understand." Cloud Strife

Offline Karl Eller

• OMG Laserguns!, Colonel-Commissar
  • Ancient
  • This is madness?! THIS IS LINUX!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 7, 2005, 02:39:55 AM »
I have to admit I don't know too much about the organisation of the Australian army (which is kinda funny considering I'm an Aussie myself :P), so I'll take your word on it.

But anyway, yes, you can name your squad leaders whatever you want, so there shouldn't be any problem with you calling your squad sargeants Corporals instead.

Eller
"Explain how bad this turbulence will be"
"Oh god! Oh god! We're going to die"
"*over the intercom* Uh, this is your captain speaking, we're going to experience a few minor bumps, then uh... crash!"

Offline _D3viL_Hunt3r_

« Reply #5 on: September 7, 2005, 02:41:37 AM »
Cool, cheers for ur reply mate  ;)

Offline Vespasian Swiper

• Dear Live Journal...
  • Damn Dora...
    • Club DM
« Reply #6 on: September 7, 2005, 12:28:01 PM »
British Army

Sergeant commands the section

So a Corporal can commands a fireteam - either Charlie Section or Delta Section traditionally.

Lances do have their place though.

Out of interest what army is yours based on in real life?

~Swipe.
Its an even stranger day when you have a fat Games Workshop-Fanboy Ninja declare to end you for something you did for April Fools on Teh Interwebz.

It's a strange day in the world where I find myself agreeing more often than not with Swiper.  :D

Offline Sr. Commissar Gribb

• Senior Commissar
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Whoa! What's this guy doing on here?
« Reply #7 on: September 7, 2005, 07:18:24 PM »
British Army

So a Corporal can commands a fireteam - either Charlie Section or Delta Section traditionally.

USAF- sections are normally commanded by a technical sergeant or master sergeant.
"The Old Guard" of 40kO

The most dangerous thing on the battlefield is a junior officer with a compass and a map.

Offline _D3viL_Hunt3r_

« Reply #8 on: September 8, 2005, 04:22:40 AM »
British Army

Lances do have their place though.

Out of interest what army is yours based on in real life?

~Swipe.

Mine will be based on the australian army, in the australian army u got a rifle group and a gun group, in the rifle group they are lead by the no.1 rifleman and in the gun group the leader is usually the 2IC which is usually a lance corporal. and the section is lead by a corporal.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2005, 04:25:01 AM by _D3viL_Hunt3r_ »