News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Re: playing style  (Read 487 times)

Offline §eamless

• "rrrrrrrrrrrr"
Re: playing style
« on: September 2, 2004, 09:55:32 PM »
something messed up... so can anyone explain the playing style of the imperial guard? I'd also like to know what their disadvantages and advantages are. Thanks
Take one more step and ill slice ya!

Offline Conscript Jenkins

• General
  • We are many, They are few
« Reply #1 on: September 3, 2004, 01:32:57 AM »
Okay, although you already posted this in the general forum (and I suspect in every forum).

I'll speak up for my favorite IG style, with is SAFH or Shooty-Army-From-Hell. This army takes lots of basic infantry, lots of guns, and a couple of rock hard-tanks with the intention of dishing out more firepower than anyone else.

Often, you will hear vets, praticularly on the General board, talk about the importance of balence in an army. The SAFH is not balenced, it is an army totally dedicated to outshooting anyone and everyone, be they Iron Warriors, Tau, or even other Guard armies.

If sitting down a huge army and unloading ungodly amounts of firepower sounds good to you, if you disdain close combat, if mobility to you is only something ballerinas do, if you have no problems removing tons of cassualties, and you smile at being called a cheesy git, then the SAFH are the army for you.

Of course, you could follow one of the slightly less-exalted disciplines and take a Mech army or a Drop Troops army or one of several other styles or even a traditional Guard army but I'll leave other people to explain the advantages of those.

If you're interested in the SAFH, take a look at the Tactica at the top of this page.

(Yes this is shameless promotion of the SAFH. So sue me.)

I'd PM Colonel Berkowitz or Cosmic Serpent about Drop Troops, Sniper GTX about Light Infantry armies, Commissar Shouty about Armored Company, and Sheepz if you want to do an assualt style army (very rare). I'm not sure who's in charge of Mech forces, maybe Bitpitman? I wish I could remember all the people who are part of that League of Strategists thing. Twisting Shadow has a link in his sig.
You can never have enough Dakka
Crush The Cheese!!!
If brute force isn't working, you're not using enough.

Member of the Board 18 League of Tacticians, SAFH Strategist.
The Super Shooty Tactica:
http://www.40k.ca/community/index.php?topic=62570.0

Playing Guard means never having to say you're sorry for obliterating your opponents entire army before he can get into HtH.

Offline Koonitz

• Ignorance is your greatest enemy
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: September 3, 2004, 08:52:57 AM »
You asked for the general playing style of all armies in the General board, as Jenkins pointed out.
Cross posting is considered poor etiquette. However, since this is suitably different (It is specifically about Guard), I will leave it open for now. Consider yourself warned however, that this was very close to cross posting.

As a suggestion, if you have to ask "generally" about all armies, then don't ask specifically. If you want to ask specific playing styles, then go to each specific army's forum and ask, but do not ask general playing styles.
"I like to think of this lovely place as my home. Now you wouldn't even think about upsetting me in my home, would you? Of course you wouldn't. So do what I say, when I say, and I won't get upset. I do bad things when I'm upset."
-Drill Instructor, MechWarrior 2

"It is not my responsibility to prove you are wrong. It is your responsibility to prove you are right."
-Koonitz

"The next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face."
- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Offline General Canderous Fayler

• Iron Fist
  • Iron Fist of Caldonia
« Reply #3 on: September 3, 2004, 09:10:11 PM »
As stated by Koonitz, don't ask for 'general' playing for an army, there are always multiple ways to run an army, each player may see their way of playing the army as the 'general' way.

A general Guard Army will generally consist of a command squad (probably with a senior or heroic senior officer), an infantry platoon tooled out to how you want it, an armored fist squad (infantry squad mounted in a chimera APC), and a leman russ battle tank.  How some one plays this is up to them, you can play it mobile or a sit and shoot army.

I prefer to play a mechanized infantry army, essentially the list above but every squad has a chimera transport (the exception my command squad who rides in their own custom command vehicle).  I find it extremely enjoyable to play, though many might disagree (especially with the 4th edition transport rules comming out).

Guard can pretty much be played how ever you want (even assaulty, though I don't recomend it, you will lose...a lot.  Its enjoyable...but it doesn't win), just be sure and think it thru.

Offline Sr. Commissar Gribb

• Senior Commissar
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Whoa! What's this guy doing on here?
« Reply #4 on: September 5, 2004, 08:06:18 PM »
my playing style is i jump around threatening other players with my antique sword bayonet and reading portions of the oh so uplifting primer
"The Old Guard" of 40kO

The most dangerous thing on the battlefield is a junior officer with a compass and a map.