News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Opponents permission.  (Read 2200 times)

Offline allconsuminghat

• Warrior
  • Son of a silly person
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Lizardmen, Bretonnians.
Opponents permission.
« on: January 12, 2006, 06:47:09 AM »
I was thinking of starting a harlequin troop after I do my dark eldar and probalby ally them with eachother, and I know that the harlequin list is not official, but I was wondering, how often do opponents give permission? Only close friends or anyone at your local GW? I ask because I don't want to waste alot of money on harlequin models (or models to convert to harlequins for that matter) if Most people will say that their too cheesy or won't play because their not official.
I'm happy to be wrong.

Farseer Jeff of Craftworld Iyanden 0/0/0
Archon Steve of the Kabal of Impending Bankruptcy 0/0/0

They're a peace loving people.

Offline Blue Tiger

• The undead have feelings too...
Re: Opponents permission.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 06:52:42 AM »
A long while ago I had a small amount of harlie models (500 or so) and I never had any problems with permission, except for the more selfish and cowardly kids at my local. The rules are official, except they are in a *ahem* six year *ahem* beta test.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 06:55:51 AM by Blue Tiger »
I'm a perfectionist. Just not a very good one...

Tomb Kings: W 3, L 1, D 0
Mechanised Tau: W 1, L 0, D 0

Offline Agamemnon-2.0

• The Mask Behind the Man
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 07:03:18 AM »
I'd have no problem with Harlequins. One noteworthy idea is to make them so you could pass Troupers as Wyches if someone gets huffy. There's been whole armies based on the Harlies-as-DEldar concept, and they look fab.
The 31st Saros Penal Regiment - 9 wins, 8 losses, 6 draws

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 09:15:25 AM »
I have had only one person not allow me to play my Harlequin Masque. That guy has also said "no" to Doctine-IG-lists, Traits in SM and God-specific CSM-lists. He just doesn't do a lot a variation-lists.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline DammageInc

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 09:08:34 PM »
Been playing with the EO 4th ed list and not had one person (or small tourney organiser, non official tourneys) turn me down. Most of the peeps in my area play for fun, haveing a completely new army to fight means they have more fun :)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 03:25:12 AM »
That is part of the appeal of a rare army, of any mind - opponents like to face off against things that they have never fought before. The Harlequins are great for that.

Offline the solitaire

• Stupendous Badass
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • quod me nutrit, me destruit
  • Armies: Harlequins, Eldar, Space Marines, DeathGuard, Nids
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 10:28:52 AM »
I had problems with opponents approval in some occasions but also had people being really enthousiastic about playing against the army.

What always helps is being friendly and cooperative. Explain people what you are doing, where the rules for the models come from and show them that the list is just a list and not a big government conspiracy to taunt space marine players.

Offline englishharlie

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 07:25:12 AM »
and show them that the list is just a list and not a big government conspiracy to taunt space marine players.

ROFL

Yeah I get a little greif but at the end of the day being nice and explaining things and whatnot you can get games. Most people are willing to listen to your arguements and at least give you a game. Make sure you don't utterly decimate them on that first game and you'll probably get another  ;)

Also if you take the time to be nice and explain your strengths and weaknesses, tell your opponent what in their list is going to ruin your force etc etc and then they STILL refuse. You've just found someone that even if you had an official army you probably don't wanna play.

English

Offline celestial.dragon

• Incubus to the Supreme Archon of Commorragh
  • Tea & Comfits!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 01:13:12 PM »
From what I have heard people at GW stores don’t like them at all, but I've never really been to one. I play at my local comic/gaming store, and I was surprised that no one except one person has ever had a problem with them. They have gotten so well know that the store manager even allows them in his weekly rouge trader style mini tournament. Although I always bring out my Kabal for the real rouge traders.
                                         W/L/D  (as of 3/10/06)
Lia-Isha Exodite World:    0/8/0
Harlequin Troupe:            3/38/0
Tau:                                 0/1/0
Pirate Fleet Isha:            0/0/1
Dark Eldar Kabal:            (Coming soon)
Wych Cult:                     (Coming Soon)

"Feeling lonely and content at the same time,
I believe, is a rare kind of happiness"

Offline allconsuminghat

• Warrior
  • Son of a silly person
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Lizardmen, Bretonnians.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 05:36:39 AM »
I brought my friends harlequins to the GW store, everyone refused to play me and the store guys refused to acknowledge their existance, only one kid allowed my to play him and since I tore his army to shreads he won't play me anymore. So much for that.... Oh well.... Guess I'll have to wait for that new eldar codex and hope for those harlequins..... and maybe exodites........mmm m...... dinosaurs.....
I'm happy to be wrong.

Farseer Jeff of Craftworld Iyanden 0/0/0
Archon Steve of the Kabal of Impending Bankruptcy 0/0/0

They're a peace loving people.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 07:55:38 AM »
I think you should go back and bring the troll-scnario from Troll magazine (EoT, ou get it from GW's page) and play that. It is a very limited scenario and list, but it plays really well, and gives a sort of "easy run-up" for people to play against the Harlequins.

Offline celestial.dragon

• Incubus to the Supreme Archon of Commorragh
  • Tea & Comfits!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 01:28:24 PM »
It's sad to see that I was right about the GW stores. Supposedly it's nothing but a place "BUY MORE GW".

Thankfully I have a local gaming store that focuses more on the fun part.
:)
                                         W/L/D  (as of 3/10/06)
Lia-Isha Exodite World:    0/8/0
Harlequin Troupe:            3/38/0
Tau:                                 0/1/0
Pirate Fleet Isha:            0/0/1
Dark Eldar Kabal:            (Coming soon)
Wych Cult:                     (Coming Soon)

"Feeling lonely and content at the same time,
I believe, is a rare kind of happiness"

Offline the solitaire

• Stupendous Badass
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • quod me nutrit, me destruit
  • Armies: Harlequins, Eldar, Space Marines, DeathGuard, Nids
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 09:31:20 AM »
Never really had any problems and always went to a GW elite store.
Current store is trying to gain rogue trader store status and they won't mind me playing harlequins either.

Part of this might have something to do with me setting up campaigns where I carefully introduce the harlequins as part of the storyline.

Offline Help_plz

• Lament My Brothers, Our Time Is Gone...
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 04:58:45 AM »
When i asked about it at my store they basically said:

No to begginer Sundays, (Which i can understand),

but,

Yes to Veterns nights, however I can only use the official ones that i have rules for, So no EO codex for me :(, But having said that the only unit i would want to use would be the Harlies Drenaught (Which was said to be unfluffy in issue 40 of CJ), So i am not overly concerned.

HTH.

Offline White_tiger

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 03:04:27 AM »
i never seem to have trouble getting opponents permission to play harlequins.....but then again occasionally i have people who will only go against them if i swear i'll have a match after with a different army. But the store guys are pretty cool about playing me.

Offline Wargamer

• Codex King, Field Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Guess what I've been doing!
« Reply #15 on: February 1, 2006, 07:19:34 AM »
I find a lot of the "anti-Harlequin" opinions stem from two sources:

1) Ignorance.

2) Idiots.

The Ignorance source is easily dealt with... let people see them play. In my last battle, the Harlequins didn't do too well... their initial charge was devastating, wiping three squads off the table with no losses, but after that they stalled, and were gunned/hacked down in droves.

Idiots... well, there isn't much to do about a GW store manager who think his Chaos Khornate Terminators can hit at I 5 with a Power Fist...

Was a General of the Imperial Guard, now more of a freelance Captain sort of thing. Ish. Keeping the rank pins though, they look nice.

EOdex Harlequin Player, now and always.
Death to the fake Harlequins!

"Let's make some mischief!"
-175th Galetonian.

Offline small_furry_spider

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • www.small.furryspider.com
« Reply #16 on: February 2, 2006, 11:51:45 AM »
I have never had any problems getting people to play against my Harlequins at GW veteran's night. Normally I take along my  craftworld eldar list too and give them a choice if they are concerned. If I quickly explain the differences (no starcannons, no tanks, 25 models,...) they are normally quite happy to go with the harlequins.

Oh yes, I play with the citadel journal list with the extra's from issue 44 (wraithlord etc). They are much harder to win with than normal eldar so most people don't have problems. Oh, and don't take more than one wraithlord with a d-cannon, it is just not nice :)

Offline Starliner

• eat the chicken...
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 01:19:48 PM »
oh oh oh!! i have the perfect answer for this!!

most people usually dont mind, the whole fun factor of clowns fighting big power armoured meaties is a funny idea, but!! make sure you have the models, i was using horrible proxy's (coins with markings so i couldn't cheat my friends) but they said no cause he didn't like the coins XD most of the time though, as long as you have the models and are playing with people who dont mind the weirdness of clowns pwning spac marines then its very rare that peeps wont let you play :D  ;D
A small mind is a tidy mind - Warhammer 40000 3rd edition codex ^^

"Wait a minute.. if you kill Dib in the past, that means you wont have to go back in time to kill him, which means you wont have to go back in time, which means he WILL be your enemy which me-"*head explodes* - Gir, Invader ZIM

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 01:23:04 PM »
Digging up old, since long dead, topics and posting on them, especially without adding some remarkable new input into the discussion, is really poor netiquette, and the thread has now been locked. We like to keep current topics on page one of the forum, so dragging up older material is not something desirable. Please don't do that in the future. Thank you.
Have a nice day.

*Click!*