News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dragonfall GT Battle Report 1 of 5; Eldar v. Necron  (Read 2324 times)

Offline DCannon ForLife

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Dragonfall GT Battle Report 1 of 5; Eldar v. Necron
« on: October 8, 2015, 11:55:39 AM »
Posted, on Dakka, the first of five battle reports from the Dragonfall tournament I attended this past weekend.

There are few, if any, rules or stats posted in them, so I'm not posting a link to get around censorship, I'm posting it because I prefer that to typing up reports on a half dozen forums:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/666110.page

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Dragonfall GT Battle Report 1 of 5; Eldar v. Necron
« Reply #1 on: October 8, 2015, 12:09:02 PM »
You could just copy and paste it here :).  That would take very little time, would avoid taking traffic away from this site, and would also be easier to read in my opinion.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline DCannon ForLife

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 02:36:54 PM »
All righty then. Here goes:

Spent the weekend in a suburb of Chicago at the inaugural (as far as 40K goes) Dragonfall GT. 1500 points, 5 games (Maelstrom AND Eternal War in each mission).

Here's the list I took:

Primary Detachment: Combined Arms Detachment

Autarch (Swooping Hawk Wings, Banshee Mask, Scorpion Chainsword [swapped out for], Shard of Anaris)
5 Dire Avengers, Wave Serpent (Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannon)
5 Dire Avengers, Wave Serpent (Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannon)
3 Distortion Cannons
3 Falcons (Cloudstrike Squadron), all 3 with Shuriken Cannons underslung, 2 turrets upgraded to Star Cannon/Pulse Laser

Secondary Detachment: Aspect Host Formation
5 Fire Dragons (Exarch)
6 Swooping Hawks( Exarch)
9 Warp Spiders (Exarch)

So...over 400 points wrapped up in a squadron of Falcons. The theme, or idea, of the tournament was to bring 'friendly' lists (no spamming, no death stars, etc.). Participants submitted their lists ahead of time and were counseled as to whether or not the list was in the spirit of the event. However, the prizes were tied to performance, and the organizers registered the tournament as an ITC event. Those two factors played a large role in determining what actually ended up winning the tournament (and taking second as well). That is, there were a couple of inarguably unfriendly lists there, and those two lists took first and second. C'est la Vie.

The list I submitted originally had 14 Scatbikes, a Void Shield Generator, and a Crimson Hunter Exarch (and a couple of other things). It was declined, so I threw together what you see above. It's still Eldar, there's still an Aspect Host, still Strength D, etc. So it still has bite.

Round One: Eldar v Necrons ('Blingcrons')

Mission: Kill Points & 3 Maelstrom Cards per Turn (starting Turn Two); Secondaries are 'Big Game Hunter', Slay the Warlord, and Linebreaker (each worth 1 VP). 'Big Game Hunter' is destroying the most valuable (costly) unit in your opponent's army.

Deployment: Dawn of War. There is a marvelous excess of quality terrain. We set two pieces aside because we can't figure out how to put them on the table.

I roll up Strategic Genius for my Warlord Trait. I did not win First Turn and declined to try to steal the initiative.

My opponent's list: Essentially a Decurion + Canoptek Harvest + some 3-character formation(?). Importantly, he had a Barge Lord as his Warlord. My Autarch LOVES those guys!

Necrons Turn One
His spider takes a wound making a new Scarab base (Schadenfreude, anyone?) and pushes the spider and wraiths up the middle (opposite my Distortion Cannons, which, let's face it, are easy pickings in close combat). He pushes his Barge Lord up on the right flank, supported by some Lychgard (the ones with Warscythes) and three tomb blades. On the left flank, he moves the Ghost Ark up to get shots on one of my serpents, but stays out of the 24" range of the DCannons. His shooting is completely ineffective. He runs the wraiths and will get a turn two assault easily.

Eldar Turn One
Deploying second (and going second) allowed me to counter-deploy fairly well. My Autarch detached from the DCannons (he was strung out toward the right flank) and landed in front of the Bargle Lord, looking at something like a 5" charge. It may be easy to know that something can move 18", but it can be difficult to understand what that looks like on the table (it's awesome). Also on the right, I lined up a serpent against the tomb blades. On the left flank, the Swooping Hawks started a suicide run at the Ghost Ark. This proved to be un-necessary, and cost me points in the Maelstrom that they might have earned for me by standing on Objectives and looking pretty. In the middle, one serpent unloads its avengers and faces the wraith. The Warp Spiders warp-jump from the right flank into the middle, eyeing up the wraiths. I obviously needed to put a lot of wounds on them in order to reduce their number.

Shooting sees the Eldar roll pretty hot and the Necrons roll WAY below average (1's and 2's galore). The serpent on the right flank destroys all three of the Tomb Blades (blew the shield right away too since the 'crons didn't have any shooting that could pen the serpents). The hawks on the left chuck a Haywire grenade at the ghost ark and get a pen result! It's open-topped but I only roll up a Weapon Destroyed result, shutting down half of its guns. In the middle, the DCannons, serpent, avengers and spiders combine to destroy every wraith save one!

In assault, the overwatch from the warriors in the Ghost Ark kills three hawks, pushing them out of charge range (it was an 8" charge to begin with). However, the Autarch easily makes it into combat with the Barge Lord. The challenge has to be accepted, and I proceed to hit 4 times, putting 4 instant-death wounds on him (2 rends and 2 regular). He fails his saves and doesn't get back up! He consolidates into the ruins, not that they will save him against the War Scythes.

Necrons Turn Two
The spider makes another base (5 now). The scarabs and remaining wraith position themselves to assault the DCannons. The Lychguard move to within an inch of my Autarch. On the left, 10 warriors on foot (with another lord--one of the ones from the 3-dude formation) line up on the hawks. The ark moves up a bit more, able to put shots on the serpent or the spiders (or both).

Shooting sees the hawks gunned down, the spiders flickerjump out of LoS from the ark and I think nothing else of note.

In assault, the Lychguard and Scarabs and Wraith make it in easily. The character with the lychguard (with a res orb) wisely chooses not to accept the Autarch's challenge, and the 5 scythes are more than enough to cut down the insolent Eldar Warlord. Against the hapless artillery crew, the wraith whiffs all of his attacks (or fails to rend and I make the saves) and the scarabs, despite a mountain of attacks, only remove two Guardians. They need a '6' on two dice to stay locked in combat. If they fall back, they're automatically swept. Unfortunately, I pass the leadership roll, meaning I can't shoot the scarabs and wraith and will just lose the unit in the next assault phase.

Maelstrom: He scores 2 out of 3 possible points.

Eldar Turn Two
Even with the loss of the Autarch, the Falcons come in. I drop them in the Necron backfield on the left flank. I won't lie, in all of my games I either mis-placed the zero-scatter squadron or it didn't matter. I certainly need more games with it if I plan to make it a 'thing'. In retrospect, I could have dropped them on the right flank (at the table edge), kept the Fire Dragons embarked, and just pounded away at range, starting with the Lychguard. As it was, I lined the squadron up on the spider and disembarked the Fire Dragons in melta range of the ghost ark. The spiders and a serpent (with the other unit of avengers) lined up on the Lychguard on the right. Everything that could moved away from the assault, with the previously disembarked dire avengers moving to screen the serpent from the Wraith.

Shooting does fair damage to the Lychguard (he didn't use his Rez Orb), leaving him with just two and the guy with the orb. The cloudstrike squadron easily (too easily) destroys the spider. He switches his dice out for a different set after that. I would have too. The dragons do what they do and blow up the ark x3. I wish that, instead of 'Assured Destruction' they had 'Measured Destruction' where you could choose whether or not you wanted something to blow up...I lose a guy in the explosion. He loses none of the warriors from the ark, and they are not pinned.

In assault, I send the spiders after the Lychguard, as I plan to stay locked, then hit and run into a better position on the following turn. I know I will lose 2 or 3 spiders per engagement, but so long as I can hold onto the Exarch, everything will be fine. I actually do wounds that stick, but he uses his orb and nothing actually gets through in the end. He then kills two spiders (more whiffing in CC), but we automatically pass our morale check and stay locked. In the other combat, the Guardians put a wound on the Wraith, which then cuts two down. The scarabs clean up the last two, consolidating toward an objective.

Maelstrom: I score 1 point out of 3 possible.

Necrons Turn Three
There isn't much movement on the Necron side. One of the characters (with a Staff of Light, I think) broke off from the 10-man unit of warriors (on foot) on the left flank, and lined up to assault the squadron of Falcons. The warriors he left lined up to take shots at (and perhaps make a long charge to) the dragons. The warriors from the barge moved to within 1" of the dragons. The scarabs, recently consolidated from the combat with the DCannons, move to within 1" of the nearest serpent. And the lone wraith moved to assault the avengers.

Shooting fails to take out the dragons (a LOT of 1's and 2's will ruin anyone's plans).

In assault, overwatch puts a wound off the wraith but it makes the RA roll. The wraith does no wounds to the avengers (who produce no wounds of their own). The scarabs only manage to strip two hull points. The character that assaulted the falcons wrecks one (blows it up, I think) and stuns another. The fire dragons manage to make 4 out of 4 saves to stand strong, but don't put any wounds through on the warriors. I lose two more spiders, but manage to take out one of the Lychguard, then hit and run toward his backfield (there's an objective there I need to hold, currently guarded by immortals).

In Maelstrom he scores 2 out of 3 points again.

Eldar Turn Three
Not a lot left on the board that isn't tied up in combat. The spiders warp jump onto an objective, but need to remove 3 immortals in order to take control of it. The immortals and spiders are both in ruins, so monofilament won't be that much help. I moved a falcon back to get out of base with the 'crons. I go back and forth with the damaged serpent--do I flat-out to get well away from the scarabs (sacrificing shooting 7 S6 shots at them), or do I move off a bit and lay into them. In the end I decide to shoot at them. There are only 5 bases and the S6 will double them out. The other serpent moves off and the avengers disembark, positioned to shoot at either scarabs or the remaining Lychguard. I have a maelstrom card to kill characters, and killing three will net me 2 points. I need to score 3 in any case to stay tied with my opponent. Each mission (Kill Points & Maelstrom) is worth 11 points to the winner and 5 points to each if tied. I am still ahead on Kill Points at the moment, but my dragons, serpent, falcons and avengers are all at risk of being destroyed.

Unfortunately, the shooting doesn't amount to much this turn. Since the character on the left flank was (temporarily) alone, I put the falcons into him, but only get one wound to stick. The serpent fires into the scarabs but only manages to remove three bases. Slightly less than statistical (I think). I decide against putting 10 shots from the avengers into the scarabs, going after the Lychguard instead. Between it and the other serpent, they only manage to take out one. The most important shooting for this turn is the spiders versus the immortals; I only get 2 wounds to stick, so the objective is still contested.

In assault, the dragons hold. I decide to assault the immortals with the spiders (at close range, their shooting is worse). The two units flail at each other but nothing happens. The wraith kills an avenger, winning combat, but they hold!

In Maelstrom, I score 0 of 3(4) possible points. That's game as far as that mission is concerned, unless my opponent doesn't score on his turn.

At this point, the round has 8 minutes left (we got off to a slow start, reviewing the mission particulars, etc.), but as the lunch break was next, we had the opportunity to continue if we wanted.

As things stood, I was winning the Kill Point mission, as well as the 3 secondaries, so had 14 points. My opponent had the Maelstrom well in hand, but had a realistic chance to tie or even pass me in Kill Points. I expressed that I preferred the game to end, but was willing to play on to give him the chance to overtake me. We diced for it, and went on to play a Turn Four.

Necrons Turn Four
The Necron goals were pretty simple: Kill a lot of stuff. There was little shooting. The scarabs went after the damaged serpent and wrecked it. The Lychguard and guy with the res orb split up. The Lychguard took out a wave serpent (lucky!) but the orb dude failed a 7" or so charge against the avengers. The warriors on the left flank assaulted the falcons again, but the character that could really do some damage whiffed. I don't remember if he was too far away to attack after piling in or if he just straight whiffed. And, miraculously, I make enough saves to keep the Fire Dragon Exarch and one dragon alive with one wound remaining (two-wound Exarchs have helped me win at least 2 games by now)! The spiders do no wounds and take no wounds in return, then hit-and-run successfully.

It comes down to the wraith against the avengers. I roll up two hits, and then joke about hitting boxcars to wound...and hit boxcars! He fails his saves and the avengers win combat! Now, he has managed to tie the Kill Points, but I have the bottom of the turn so as long as I can kill TWO things (to offset the possibility of losing the dragons in the melee), I will win.

As insurance, he piles on a couple of more Maelstrom points.

Eldar Turn Four
So, after getting off to a hot start, with good rolls on my side and horribly below average rolling on his, it comes down to this: I need 2 Kill Points to secure a victory. The plucky Falcons line up on the lone Lychguard. The spiders Warp Jump right back to within an inch of the immortals and the avengers (both units) take aim at the res orb guy.

Shooting sees the res orb guy go to ground and make a 6+ save versus a Bladestorm wound...bah. He easily tanks the rest of the wounds put on him by the avengers. The Lychguard guy isn't as lucky, with all the AP2 flying at him. I get one of the KPs I need. My spiders shoot at the immortals, and I roll more 1's than anything else. I manage to kill one immortal (leaving two, if I'm remembering correctly). They make their morale check. I now have to choose between assaulting the res orb guy (that has an AP3 weapon) but only 1 wound remaining, or assaulting the immortals with the spiders. I elect to assault the immortals and leave the rest to fate.

I choose to resolve the Fire Dragon combat first, and miracle upon miracle, the Exarch survives! Now, so long as my spiders don't get Swept, we will at least tie the Kill Point mission. I will lose 18-8, but some points are better than none as this is a straight Battle Points tournament (win-loss as first tie-breaker). I make the assault, survive the immortals swinging first (still in the ruins), and then manage to put 4 wounds on them. He fails two saves, and then fails both Reanimation Protocol rolls. Dice, whaddya gonna do?

Results & Performance Assessment
We split the game almost perfectly, but I edge him by a point because I destroyed his most expensive unit while he failed to destroy mine. We both have Line Breaker and Slay the Warlord. Final score is 14-13, Eldar win. The results are the same as they would have been had we ended on Turn Three. I gave my opponent full marks for Sportsmanship--just because you bring some (a lot of) hard to kill units doesn't mean you've built an 'unfriendly' list.

Performance Assessment is partly based on my estimation of how the dice went, and partly based on the decisions I made for the unit.

Autarch (B): Fun! Banzai! Did what he was meant to do. My opponent wisely declined the challenge in his countercharge, and promptly crushed the Autarch, but he had already done what he is built to do. If First Blood had been a thing, the exchange of Warlords would have definitely been worth it.

Dire Avengers: (C): They did fine, better than expected against the Wraith and lackluster against everything else. I need to remember that they have the ability to overwatch at BS2 or have counterattack. Completely forgot.

Wave Serpents (C): On the one hand, I did the right thing blowing their shields on Turn One. On the other hand, I did not utilize their mobility in order to score Maelstrom points, which is ostensibly one of the reasons I put ObSec serpents in the list. Taking the chance to destroy the scarabs instead of scoring a Maelstrom point (and keeping them out of harm's way) almost cost me the game, because it created a situation where dice could eff me (which they did--Scarabs 1, Wave Serpent 0).

Swooping Hawks (D): Along with the serpents, the hawks need to be used to score Maelstrom points. I need to treat them more like the patient opportunists they are instead of throwing them away on a huge gamble. Had the gamble against the Ghost Ark paid off, I would only bump up the assessment to a 'C'. In retrospect, the entire idea was more mistake than anything.

Warp Spiders (A/B): It's difficult to use them poorly. I took advantage of all of their special rules. I shouldn't have had to rely on them to win the game for me though.

Fire Dragons (C/D): The assessment is more a reflection of the way I used the Cloudstrike than their specific performance. I'm glad I made a lot of 3+ saves, but there was no real NEED to drop them in where/when I did. That almost cost me the game.

Distortion Cannons (C): I positioned them as bait, knowing I would only get to shoot them once. Surviving the first round of combat was actually better for my opponent than it was for me. They did do some damage to the Wraith, but didn't earn their points back.

Falcons (Cloudstrike) (C/D): So, I have a special ability and I want to use it ALL THE TIME.... Well, that is a wrong-headed approach. Not only does the zero-scatter allow me to maximize the offensive potential of the Falcons (and the units they carry), it ALSO allows me to maximize their defensive potential. Dropping into the right backfield corner of my opponent's DZ was a vastly superior option. So I got the Dragons Out and blew up an AV11 skimmer and took 3 wounds off of a Tomb Spyder, so what? I could have dropped into complete safety and still taken out the spider, picking up the ark on a subsequent turn (at my leisure).

Overall: C. Good thing I play Eldar, right?

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 09:46:24 PM »
Thanks for the report Mr D, love the grading system and your overall comments there.

Haha, good thing you play Eldar!

But also ancient nemesis 0, eldar 1!

Autarch was pretty boss, if suicidal.  Seems like going with the warp spider exarch for warlord might be a viable tactic next time.
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline DCannon ForLife

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 09:34:10 AM »
Autarch was pretty boss, if suicidal.  Seems like going with the warp spider exarch for warlord might be a viable tactic next time.
It's interesting--you pay a few more points for what amounts to, in the end, less mobility. The wings allow the Autarch access to Skyleap. The spider pack does NOT allow the Autarch access to Flickerjump.

In a game this past week (versus a bizarre combination of Space Marine Taxi Service, a Cullexis, an Inquisitor, and an Eldar cad with a Sonic-Lance Lynx...), I aced his Autarch and 5 of 6 spiders because they couldn't Flickerjump away--due to the Autarch.

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 12:19:47 PM »
Not at all, I agree with you there -- what I mean is, keep the autarch as-is but just don't make him warlord. Run him around as the swoopy shank-master.

Then make your warp spider exarch the warlord instead. Those guys are pretty slippery, I usually can keep mine alive if at just one wound.

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline DCannon ForLife

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 11:27:29 AM »
It is difficult for me to figure out the cost/benefit of losing the re-roll on the Warlord Trait Table (the Warp Spider Exarch is not part of a CaD) vs. the high risk of giving up Slay the Warlord.

Worth considering for sure, but I hate getting stuck with night fighter or the pinning check one.

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 12:49:55 PM »
Ah yes fair point.

Depends on your mission scoring just how important slay the warlord is. If it's literally every mission id say it's worth it.

ITC is about half, makes it trickier.

Really looking forward to seeing how you stomp the pajamapants orks!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:51:35 PM by Ibushi »

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 01:11:34 PM »
Nice report! Thanks!

I was worried for you on the Maelstrom end of things; glad to see you pulled it out. How was he earning his Maelstrom points? Just sitting on objectives, or was he just getting lucky?

One of my constant problems with Maelstrom is that it always feels as if the player whose army is doing worse tends to be earning more random Maelstrom points. You were blowing him up left and right, and yet it seemed as if he kept getting VPs.

Offline DCannon ForLife

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 01:18:46 PM »
He was getting lucky draws ('easy' to score) on his part. On my part, though, I hadn't designated a 'score me points' unit (I'm looking at YOU, Swooping Hawks). By my 4th game I had a much better grasp of how to employ the hawks vis a vis Maelstrom.

I'm not sure if it is clear, but we were drawing from a full deck of GW Maelstrom cards--auto-discarding and re-drawing if a card was impossible to score. When you're only pulling three cards a turn, you really have no idea what you're going to get. Scoring Maelstrom was generally low in all of the games.

@Ibushi: Locally(ish), Slay the Warlord is almost always a thing. I'm not as concerned about giving up STW as I am glad to exchange 133 points of Autarch for what is (usually) well over that amount (and often 200+) for my opponent's Warlord. My guy can't slaughter whole units, while their guys usually can. So, I sacrifice one to save ~6 or so. That's gotta be Eldar math, right?

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 01:38:38 PM »
Haha yes that makes sense, no contention from me here!

I think if I did the same setup -- and I am very very tempted to do so -- I would go with an exarch warlord to just have the added bonus of not giving up warlord.

Right now I have a model that is perfect to use as this kind of autarch, she just needs some scourge wings to seal the deal -- but it is impossible to get my hands on a pair! :(

Oh speaking of models, those new D-cannons look fantastic on the table. My wife saw me looking at them and when I told her they were "D cannons that shoot at people and score penetrating hits on a 2+" she almost died. They really capture what they do and represent!

Finish that Game 3 Batrep!

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline DCannon ForLife

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 02:46:40 PM »
Haha yes that makes sense, no contention from me here!

I think if I did the same setup -- and I am very very tempted to do so -- I would go with an exarch warlord to just have the added bonus of not giving up warlord.

Right now I have a model that is perfect to use as this kind of autarch, she just needs some scourge wings to seal the deal -- but it is impossible to get my hands on a pair! :(

Oh speaking of models, those new D-cannons look fantastic on the table. My wife saw me looking at them and when I told her they were "D cannons that shoot at people and score penetrating hits on a 2+" she almost died. They really capture what they do and represent!

Finish that Game 3 Batrep!
BWAH!

Which kind of scourge wings are you looking for--bat or feathered? Is there a third kind?

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 02:49:40 PM »
Oh definitely the bat wings for my nasty croneworld kin..

The Autarch in question is actually a very old wych succubus with geisha robe sculpted on, with Doomrider's head and undead arms for creepy hands and sleeves.

Bat wings!

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall