News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Running an introductory to 40k event  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Running an introductory to 40k event
« on: February 10, 2016, 06:10:35 PM »
Back in December GW opened a new Warhammer store in my area, and the manager has had ideas going every which way to get people in; most of them successful.  In all my years playing, I haven't seen these types of crowds at my LGS in many years.

The manager and I have gotten along really well since he first opened, and after I helped him relearn the rules for 40k he approached me about running an introductory event to teach people how to play them.  It's something I am really looking forward to and it is taking place this Saturday.

I do have some ideas in mind as to how things will go, but I figured it can't hurt to ask for input from other people in case I missed a key aspect somewhere.

For the event, I wrote up four 1000pt lists that I will bring down from my collection that I feel cover the more important aspects of the game.

The first list is a Deathwing list:
Deathwing Strike Force

Terminator Librarian:  Force stave, Mastery Level 2

3x 5 Deathwing Terminators:  Sergeant w/ Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield; Lightning Claws w/ Cyclone Missile Launcher; 3x Storm Bolter & Power Fist.

Venerable Dreadnought:  Multi-Melta / Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod.
With this list, I figured it would help to demonstrate the importance of wound allocation, deep striking, and tossing in some special rules.

Next, is the Ravenwing:
Ravenwing

Ravenwing Attack Squadron:  6 Bikes w/ 2 Plasma Guns; Land Speeder w/ Assault Cannon & Heavy Bolter.

Ravenwing Attack Squadron:  6 Bikes w/ 2 Melta Guns; Land Speeder w/ Multi-Melta & Typhoon Missile Launcher.

Ravenwing Attack Squadron:  3 Attack Bikes w/ Heavy Bolters; Land Speeder w/ Assault Cannon & Heavy Bolter

Ravenwing Support Squadron:  3 Land Speeders w/ Assault Cannon & Heavy Bolter; Ravenwing Darkshroud
This list can be used to demonstrate the effectiveness of Formations, as well as covering the flexibility of fast units and their relative fragility.

Third up is a Dark Angels "battle-company before they had rules for battle companies" list:
Gunline (Combined Arms)

Librarian:  Mastery Level 2, Digital Weapons

10 Tactical Marines:  Lascannon, Melta Gun, Drop Pod

10 Tactical Marines:  Lascannon, Plasma Gun, Drop Pod

5 Devastator Marines:  4 Plasma Cannons

3 Vindicators
Again, the list teaches Deep Strike and the Psychic phase.  But it goes further and gives a different taste of weaponry as well as teaching the rules for vehicle squadrons.  This list, I think, may be a favourite for people once they find out about the massive blast the Vindicator squadron gets.

Finally, the Harlequins:
Harlequins (Serpent's Brood)

6 Troupes:  3 Caress, 2 Kiss; Master w/ Storied Sword; Starweaver

6 Troupes:  3 Caress, 2 Kiss; Master w/ Caress; Starweaver

6 Troupes:  2 Caress, 3 Kiss; Master w/ Caress; Starweaver

2x 2 Skyweavers:  Zephyrglaives

Voidweaver:  Haywire Cannon
I wanted to have something completely different from the other lists.  It puts a real emphasis on the assault phase and transports.  Mainly though, I wanted something different from another Marine list.

People coming in will also have the opportunity to use their own collection to play an instructional game.  The manager has been really helpful in making sure this is going to run well by offering to lend people a store copy of any codex to ensure they have all of the rules that they need.

I will have a quick write up that takes all of the complicated looking charts and cuts them down to a simplified explanation; so instead of having a chart that shows the result needed for WS4 vs WS5 it more or less says "+1 hits on 3+ / = hits on 4+ / 2x+1 hits on 5+."  What I have found when teaching any subject to someone is they learn it a lot better by asking them to find the information themselves rather than me constantly explaining.

So that is my general idea on how I am going to run the event and what I will be covering.  Does anyone have any input they think will be beneficial, or ideas on other aspects of the game to go over?
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Running an introductory to 40k event
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:02:23 AM »
If this is a "first time" thing, then I'd suggest pulling back to 500 points. They're not going to learn ANY nuances in the first game. It will be all about, "Was it Fun?" so that would mean two armies that interact with each other.

Whereas I'd be worried about the Vindicators alpha striking someone off the board in one shot on the first turn.

Or the terminators plinking all the wounds away from the Not-Vindicators.

Or the bikes having such mobility as to deny the less mobile units LOS.

Don't get me wrong, good armies in and of themselves, but if it's an introduction, I think your new recruits would have more fun with 500 points of infantry supported by one or two "light" vehicles. You could play on a smaller board, even, so that the action is focussed and dice are rolling.

Just my experience.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 07:16:38 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.

It is a "first time" thing as well as a "new to playing but needs help understanding the rules."  I think what I will do is cobble together a pair of smaller lists in the event someone comes out who has never even looked at the rules, but keep the 1000pt lists for those who are just unfamiliar.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 12:48:37 PM »
Yeah, the 1000 point lists would be great for someone with a basic knowledge of the rules that's looking to see something new, or get ideas for different strategies. Well designed in that regard, particularly "How formations work."

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 05:33:20 PM »
If you have the models, you could pretty much run some of the 'Start Collecting' boxes as the forces. They have a good spread of troop types. The Space Marines have a walker, the Nids a Monstrous Creature, IG a tank etc etc. They may not be super balanced, but it's a fairly small number of minis, but with a nice spread of rules to introduce different elements of the game.

Also, and this is mainly for the benefit of your friendly GW manager, they are the nicest price point to start collecting a force. If they like what they've played with, he can just point at the boxes on the wall, say 'there you go' then say 'savings' and reap the benefit.

It could end up being a win for you both. Money in the till for GW, and a more vibrant gaming community for you.

Whatever you end up doing, best of luck!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...