News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: what should i take?  (Read 592 times)

Offline Sergant Alexi

• Its a funny world
what should i take?
« on: February 15, 2007, 04:05:23 PM »
dont worry about the difference in points but what should i take

ps i have a siege infantry force and all would fit in with my fluff

a heavy mprtar battery of 3

a basilsk

or a vindicare assasin

pps do you have to take a inquisitor to take the assasin or do you only need allies and can take him on his on in the IG
Gari Fireguard 12th Company
500 pts
W/D/L
-

Last Game
-

Offline Markay

• Lieutenant Colonel | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hardcore card whore.
    • My Portfolio Website
Re: what should i take?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 04:13:59 PM »
You would need an inquisitor lord to take the vindicare yes. I'd say the best choice is a basilisk, purely because its a bargain for the damage it can do and a mortar squad isn't going to do much (unless you face lots of horde armies?) but I dont really know what you have for the rest of your army.

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 04:17:39 PM »
An assassin requires an Inquisitor or Inquisitor Lord to be taken as well (see Codex: Daemonhunters or Codex: Witch Hunters). For that reason I'd advise against taking the Vindicare. For his points he's rather underwhelming to begin with; it is worse when you also have to buy him a babysitter.

Basilisks and heavy mortar batteries are both worthy choices. Which one you pick would depend a lot on your force's composition, the gaming tables you play on and the opponents you regularly face. The heavy mortar would be relatively better on smaller tables against lightly armoured troops. The Basilisk is best off on big tables and doesn't care much about the enemy's armour.

Markay: I'd agree that mortars are inferior to Basilisks, but heavy mortars are a different beast altogether. http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/pdf/heavymort.pdf
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 04:19:16 PM by PaxImperator »

Offline Markay

• Lieutenant Colonel | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hardcore card whore.
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 04:24:14 PM »
Oh wow, well let me retract my statement and wholeheartedly agree, which one I'd choose depends on regular opponents and all those other variables. What do you usually field in your army?

Offline Sergant Alexi

• Its a funny world
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 05:02:24 PM »
2 demolsihers is my other heavy support with las plas and then a vet squad ratlings and some plattons and armoured fists.
Gari Fireguard 12th Company
500 pts
W/D/L
-

Last Game
-

Offline Fenixx

• " Up Guards and at them again"
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 08:24:26 PM »
hmmmm lots of anti SMurf goodness in there but not much range. I would take Hvy mortars because of 3 blasts which is good but a Bassie could take longrange stuff and Demolisher's finish off anything unfortunate to be close up.  I dunno
LII Kasr Holn Foot Guards Regiment
7th Kasr Holn Dragoons (Armoured)
48th Cadian Mechanized

"Hard pounding this, gentlemen; let's see who will pound longest"

Arguing on the Internet is like running in the special Olympics; Even if you win you're still retarded.

Offline Goyder

• Workshy Lord Moddissar General, The King of Tanks
  • Ancient
  • Australian
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 09:55:42 AM »
If you tell us what else you have in your army, that would help us out a lot. That way, we can see what you've got in your army and see if those choices will help fill in a gap that your army lacks.

However, if you're into tourney games, I would suggest the Bassie, many tournements don't accept Forge World units (Becuase no one bloody knows if its legit or not) - and the Bassie is a good solid unit that is in the Guard codex. You'll get no qualms from that. The bassie itself packs a bloody big punch and can be used in either the direct or indirect role, it also has the whole psychological factor that it brings in.

But, if you don't play that many tourney, and you're just looking for something awesome - I would suggest the Heavy Mortars just on the "ohhhh cool!" factor. That, and they seem to be pretty decent on paper. But then again, 3 mini-grifs should allways be awesome.
Real men fight in Tanks!