News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 pt Hybrid list - New Player  (Read 3699 times)

Offline z3r05k1ll

1500 pt Hybrid list - New Player
« on: September 22, 2009, 05:59:23 PM »
**final edit** Thanks to irisado and chaplain swordwind for all the great advice!**

I have just started and collected a very very large collection of eldar pieces. I love their lore i love their look and i love their concept (heavily specialized units). I'm just having problems building lists i like at less than 2k. I like the combined arms idea, cause massive damage to the enemy (provided you hit him just right)

Is there a chance i could get this list rated? So i know what i need to watch out for. Irisado says it's a solid list now but i want to know where my areas that i can flex and need to tip toe around are and the ratings i've seen in the past detail these well.

- I don't have the back story for my craftworld yet

HQ:
Farseer » Witchblade » Shuriken Pistol » Runes of Warding » Spirit Stones » Doom » Fortune

TROOPS:
Guardian, Storm (10) » 2x flamer » Warlock » Destructor
Wave Serpent » TL Scatter Laser » Spirit Stones

Guardian (10) » Scatter Laser » Warlock » Embolden » Spirit Seer » Singing Spear

Dire Avengers (10) » Exarch  » 2x Avenger Shuriken Catapults » Bladestorm
Wave Serpent » TL Bright Lance » Spirit Stones

ELITES:
Striking Scorpions(8 ) » Exarch » Claw » Shadowstrike » Stalker

HEAVIES:
Wraithlord (2x) » Flamer (2x) » Eldar Missile Launcher » Bright Lance
-155x2

War Walker Squadron (3x) » Scatter Laser (2x)

total 1498 pts, 3 scoring units, 10 kill points, 48 Models

Irisado and the Chaplain are very much to credit for the list as it is. Thank you both.
-Z
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 05:25:22 PM by z3r05k1ll »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: 1500 pt Hybrid list - New Player
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 06:18:13 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

I think mixed lists are an enjoyable way to play the Eldar, but the problem with this one is your mechanised wing isn't sufficiently durable, and doesn't hit hard enough in my opinion.

The Warlock Jetbike squad is too small, and too expensive, and its role should not be to draw fire in my view.  It isn't really suitable in a list of this sort though, as you need to make it quite large in size to be effective, which necessitates too many points for a 1500 point army, so I suggest dropping it.

A mechanised wing needs to consist of two Wave Serpents in my experience, as one is too easily shot down, so I suggest taking a second Serpent in lieu of the Warlocks and either mounting your Dire Avenger squad in it, or taking a squad of Storm Guardians with two Flamers and a Warlock with Destructor to ride in it.

The Farseer, who needs Doom, not Eldritch Storm in my experience (Doom really boosts the effectiveness of Dire Avengers, and other units with strength four weaponry which I am going to suggest you include), can either join the Storm Guardians, or be fielded on foot with your infantry.

I don't see the need for two Fire Dragon squads, so I suggest dropping one.  I think that you would be better off taking a third Wave Serpent with an assault unit inside, or spending more points on your infantry.

The Fire Dragon squads are also too small to take on the dual purpose role in my opinion, so I recommend either increase the remaining squad to eight in number, or just running six regular Dragons (no Exarch) if you want them to focus on destroying tanks and small MEQ squads.

I also don't recommend mounting the Fire Dragons in a Falcon.  In my experience, the Falcon is a poor choice for them in fifth edition, since it costs too many points, cannot fire enough guns on the move, and is more vulnerable to Melta weapons than the Wave Serpent.  I feel you would be better off taking a Wave Serpent for these reasons.

Your infantry section looks too vulnerable to assaults, so I think you need to take Striking Scorpions in a counter assault role.  These could then back up the Dire Avengers (if you leave them on foot), who could act as a pin if you give their Exarch the Power Weapon, Shimmershield and Defend combination.

Rangers don't provide much anti-infantry fire support in my experience, and I have found that Guardian squads with Scatter Lasers work better when fielded in pairs, so I would drop the Rangers for another Guardian squad.  Both Guardian squads could also do with being led by Warlocks with Embolden if you can find the points.

Finally, I think you either need to take two Wraithlords, each equipped with an EML and Brightlance, or a third Wave Serpent carrying another unit (e.g. Howling Banshees, more Dire Avengers, or if you really want two squads of Fire Dragons, you could have that second squad, although I think this makes your mechanised wing too one dimensional).

The choice depends on how many vehicles of AV12 or more you expect to face.  If you expect to face quite a few, then I would opt for the Wraithlords for some long range anti-tank firepower, if not, then you could opt to bolster the mechanised wing.  You may have to think about dropping one or perhaps all of the War Walkers to make room for these options though, but I don't have a calculator on me, so I cannot be sure of this.

As far as strategy is concerned, I feel that you are coming up with a unit by unit strategy, which is dangerous for the Eldar, since they do not really work in this way, so I think you would be better off thinking about an overall strategy for the list, and then start planning how groups of units (not just one unit) will work together within that strategy.

I hope that helps.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline z3r05k1ll

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 09:01:57 AM »
I've tried to take your advice into consideration. mostly the concept advice as the list is almost completely re-written. Thanks for the critique!

-Z

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 10:37:50 AM »
The edited version looks a lot better in my opinion, but I am still concerned about the vulnerability of the infantry section to assaults against more aggressive opposing armies.  Do you know which armies you are likely to face?

If you anticipate facing Orks or Tyranids, or mobile Space Marine or Chaos Space Marine armies, then I strongly recommend fielding the Striking Scorpions on foot as a defensive assault squad, and increasing the unit size by a couple of models if you can.

A second Guardian squad could be fielded with the left over points (from dropping the Striking Scorpion squad's Wave Serpent), providing you have the models.

Everything else looks solid.

I hope that helps.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline z3r05k1ll

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 10:47:48 AM »
I'm likely to face everything under the sun (minus dark eldar i think) What i was planning on doing was shielding the defenders with the Wlords and walkers, and attatching the Farseer to the gaurdians. Would that be too limiting/unreliable a tactic?

now that i think of it, maybe i should use guide and fortune instead of doom and fortune. the seer is going to be a back lines support caster and not likely in range to cast doom every turn, where i can fortune my walkers or one of my Wlords every turn and guide one of them every turn as well as give me points for another flamer or fusion gun with the storm gaurdians. Would that be a good change to make?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:49:55 AM by z3r05k1ll »

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 10:56:40 AM »
I'm likely to face everything under the sun (minus dark eldar i think) What i was planning on doing was shielding the defenders with the Wlords and walkers, and attatching the Farseer to the gaurdians. Would that be too limiting/unreliable a tactic?

This is unlikely to work, since Wraithlords are not wide enough to shield Guardian Defender squads, while War Walkers are too fragile, and will get blown to pieces, and you don't want them to explode close to your fragile Guardians.

In terms of assaults, it's even worse in my view, as Wraithlords don't have enough attacks to be counter assault units, and while they can burn hordes with their Flamers, they may not kill enough of them, and if your Guardians are assaulted by just a handful of Orks, Marines, or anything really, they will die horribly.

Remember, you could equip the Striking Scorpions for a dual purpose.  If you were to give the Exarch Shadowstrike, the squad could infiltrate or outflank (although this can be unreliable) against Imperial Guard and Tau, and be deployed normally against other armies.

now that i think of it, maybe i should use guide and fortune instead of doom and fortune. the seer is going to be a back lines support caster and not likely in range to cast doom every turn

When I use my Farseer defensively, I still find that she is in range to Doom critical units, and the Dire Avengers will really benefit from it in my experience, so I don't recommend making this change.

I hope that helps.

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 11:34:45 AM »
Irisado always give good advice.  One thing that stands out to me in the edited list is that you have a variety of ways to deal with infantry, but are relying almost exclusively on your two Wraithlords for anti-tank.  While that is not really too bad, you might think about substituting Fusion guns over flamers for your Storm Guardians, and giving their Warlock a Singing Spear, just to give you one more tool for the job.

If you prefer the flamers that's fine, they do very well, I just think the Fusion Guns will make for a more balanced list.
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline z3r05k1ll

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 11:59:49 AM »
after some serious consideration of the weakness in the rear det i made another modification. thanks for the good feedback :)

my personal concern is that the offensive wing is really small now. but two much more experienced players have suggested i go that route. so here it is.

-Z

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 12:30:47 PM »
Looking at your revised list, I am making some assumptions:

First, that your "rear detachment" consists of the following:

Guardian Defender Squad
Harlequins
Wraithlords x2

Having said that, I am left assuming that your "offensive wing" is made up of the remaining units:

Mounted Dire Avengers
Mounted Storm Guardians
War Walker Squadron (outflanking?)

Oops, I see you have the War Walkers as being part of the rear group.

Okay, based on this, I would say "YES", your offensive wing is too small.  The problem is, because you've edited your original post each time you've changed the list, I'm not sure what you were originally working with, or what models you have at your disposal to make adjustments.  Therefore, at best the suggestions I make will be abstract.  None-the-less, here they are:

If the Farseer is staying in the rear with your support elements, the Harlequins need to advance forward to support your offensive operations (the only reason I would have left them in the rear is so the Shadowseer could keep your Wraithlords from falling asleep).  Have them run behind your skimmers, ignoring terrain and using the Veil of Tears to keep them out of trouble.  If you feel they are simply too slow to do this, the only alternative is to remove one Wraithlord from the list, and purchase a Wave Serpent for the Guardian Defenders.  Deploy them outside of it, then let the Harlequins embark on it in your first turn.  You have to do it that way, because the Harlequins are not eligible to buy a Wave Serpent themselves.

If you keep both Wraithlords, the War Walkers need to go on the attack with your other units.  If you drop a Wraithlord in order to get the Harliquins mounted up, keep them in the rear with your fire base.

I hope this helped you; I tried to offer suggestions that did not involve a re-write of your list.  =)

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Offline z3r05k1ll

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 01:00:46 PM »
noted... and the option to have the walkers flanking or advancing sounds like the most attractive choice as it does not modify the list.

I really like wraith lords as tank hunters and having 2 on the field in a small game seems one of the most attractive options (to me) for a setup like this.

In the end a small shift in strategy makes life easier here. I need to get a good, playable list under my feet so i can start getting some gaming experience under my feet. So, provided the list is solid, and the strategy after the shift is solid, I think i'll proceed as such.

My next newb question would be, increasing points wise, would i want to completely revise my base list? or just add to it? and if it's adding, do i flesh out units or do i add in new units (i.e. Fire Dragons in a wave serpent)?

to answer your question about models at my disposal...

HQ   
Eldar Autarch on Jetbike   0
Autarch   1 -wings, shuri pistol, sword model
Farseer   2
Warlock   8
Prince Yriel - Autarch of Iyanden   0
Eldrad Ulthran Farseer of Ulthwe   1

PHEONIX LORDS   
ASURMAN   0
JAIN ZAR   0
KARANDRAS   1
FEUGAN   0
MOUGAN RA   0
BAHAROTH   0

TRANSPORT   
Wave Serpent   3

ELITES   
Fire Dragon   15
Fire Dragon EXARCH   2
Howling Banshees   15
Howling Banshees EXARCH   2
Striking Scorpion   10
Striking Scorpions EXARCH   2
Wraithguard   15
Harlequins   10
Troupe Master   2
Harlequin Shadowseer   0 -i've been proxying the shadow seers
Death Jester   0

TROOPS   
Dire Avenger   36
Dire Avengers EXARCH   4
Guardians   20 -about to mod 10 of these because of this thread
Heavy Weapon Platform   2
Jetbike   4 -modded to 3 normal looking and one with a spear so i can treat them like a jetbike council or 3 jetbikes with a warlock
Shrieker Jetbike   0
Rangers   24

FAST ATTACK   
Swooping Hawks   10
Swooping Hawks EXARCH   2
Shining Spear   0
Shining Spears EXARCH   0
Vyper   0
Warp Spiders   8
Warp Spiders EXARCH   2

HEAVY SUPPORT   
Dark Reaper EXARCH   2
Dark Reapers   8
Falcon   2
War Walker   6
Wraithlord   2
Support Weapon Platform   0
Fire Prism Grav Tank   0

as you can see i have a LOT of options, i really enjoy painting and playing. i'm just trying to learn how the competetive guys do it =\ the eldar background is awesome. the stories of the aspects are awesome, and i get carried away when i'm list building. You guys are helping me gain perspective. Thankyou.

-Z
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 01:08:00 PM by z3r05k1ll »

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 02:57:42 PM »
Storm Guardians with Fusion Guns are too inaccurate in my view, so I suggest switching back to Flamers.

As I said in my PM to you, Harlequins are too fragile and too expensive to act as a defensive or counter assault unit in my opinion, and there are background issues with fielding them too.  I notice that you have access to a large squad of Striking Scorpions, so I recommend taking eight of those instead, and fielding them in the manner in which I described in my previous post.

If you are worried that you don't have enough anti-tank, then Brightlances on the Wave Serpents would help to alleviate that concern.

A warlock for the Defender Guardians would also be useful for preventing Wraithsight affecting the Wraithlords if you want your Farseer to have more flexible deployment and movement options.

I hope that helps.

Offline z3r05k1ll

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 05:26:35 PM »
Final edit up. any chance i could see how this list stacks up according to the raters? It's not too fluffy yet, but i do plan on writing a back story for a craftworld.

-Z

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 05:41:40 PM »
Final edit up. any chance i could see how this list stacks up according to the raters? It's not too fluffy yet, but i do plan on writing a back story for a craftworld.

If you are interested in creating your own Craftworld, you may be interested in joining the POC Eldar Online (click on the banner in my signature for more details).

As for getting a rating, if you PM the Eldar army list raters with a link to this thread, I'm sure that they will happily score it for you.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 08:33:08 PM »
**final edit** Thanks to irisado and chaplain swordwind for all the great advice!**

I have just started and collected a very very large collection of eldar pieces. I love their lore i love their look and i love their concept (heavily specialized units). I'm just having problems building lists i like at less than 2k. I like the combined arms idea, cause massive damage to the enemy (provided you hit him just right)

Is there a chance i could get this list rated? So i know what i need to watch out for. Irisado says it's a solid list now but i want to know where my areas that i can flex and need to tip toe around are and the ratings i've seen in the past detail these well.

- I don't have the back story for my craftworld yet

HQ:
Farseer » Witchblade » Shuriken Pistol » Runes of Warding » Spirit Stones » Doom » Fortune

TROOPS:

Guardian (10) » Scatter Laser » Warlock » Embolden » Spirit Seer » Singing Spear

ELITES:

HEAVIES:
-155x2

Irisado and the Chaplain are very much to credit for the list as it is. Thank you both.
-Z

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential (up to 1 point given); Dedicated as well as supporting units Above Average .7... as every working unit has some potential vs Anti-Tank and severall are actual dedicated AT components. It would score better if it had more reliable Ranged AT, as Str=6 weaponry doesn't always cut it, nor does a spatter of Witchblade or Spear or Claw here and there.
2.. Anti-MEQ potential (up to 1 point given); Dedicated as well as combo's etc Slightly Below Average .5... as the only weapons that negate teh 3+ save should be used on AT instead... because of some decent ranged, stregnthed and mass shooting it might survive some lists; but it will not last anything MEQ that is tournie level.
3.. Anti-Horde potential (up to 1 point given); Mass firepower and Strength as well as combo's Average .6... It has a few Flamers, and some mass shooting... but once again, there is nothing special to go on about.
4.. Ranged Firepower potential (up to 1 point given); Low, Mid, and Longe range considered Above Average .7... It has a decent mix of shooting the problem with it is that it does not have great combo's to go with it, other than Doom... Guide would have helped the WW's more in most cases... etc etc etc... but without a Super Hero character I do think that the op actually did cover this area fairly well.
5.. Assault potential (up to 1 point given); Dedicated as well as Holding power Slightly Below Average .5... Scorpions are decent... DA can Tarpit but without any serious Heavy Hitters they will actually accomplish less than their potential.. The Wraithlord is cool, but it has too few Attacks and putting it into CC with DA could be used against you... The list really needs another Dedicated CC unit or a Supre Hero to make the CC side of it come up to the current meta-game.
6.. Scoring Units / point level (up to 1 point given); Basic Math here but Min/Max are not always best. Good .8... 3 scoring units @ 1500pts is actually quite good, and as two of them are within a protected box, they may actually live to score. This area could be improved slightly; but it would mean altering the list in style somewhat as well.
7.. Durability or Resilience (up to 1 point given); VP denial as well as pure toughness, and saves will be considered. Average .6... as the reserve options are somewhat limited, and some units are still very open to being targeted outright.
8.. Flexability (up to 1 point given); Ability to react to different opponents Average .6... its actually capable of a few tactics etc... but its fairly see through as well since certain componets really do rely on each other to work.
9.. Mission Capabiliy (up to 1 point given); Scenerios and Mission ability Above Average .7... I see it as being able to run any of the missions and deplyments well enough, in fact some of its segments will help it in certain deployments/missions.
10. Dynamics and/or Theme (up to 1 point given); Overall Synergy and potential as well as Imagination. Above Average .7... It can work well enough; but it has some parts that really could be easily improved on (Guide vs Doom on the WW's, etc). I do see it as having a certain amount of imagination though... so I gave it an extra point there.

Rating = 6.4/10
Some will score it differently; but I see this as a "Fun" list and thats it... Yes it could well vs certain enemies; but in general I don't see it standing up to any of the current meta-game tournie contenders. The points are a bit restrictive; but I see some units optimized while others are not, so it could use a few tweeks here and there still.

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 09:29:25 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 12:24:41 AM »
Per your request, a Chaplain Swordwind review is pending for this list.   :)

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Offline stevep459

• This above all...
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 12:28:15 AM »
I say go for it and feel it out.  See what works for you and your style of play. 

Irisado and the gang have led me to a very decisive campaign victory recently, the advice is sound.  But go out and succeed or fail, either way just learn :)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 09:32:57 PM »
Rating Done Above, sorry if it hits hard; but I do see this as a "Fun" list.

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 03:13:46 PM »
HQ:

TROOPS:

ELITES:

HEAVIES:
-155x2

Chaplain Swordwind Rating:

Durability: 1.0/2.0

You do have a few tough units in the list.  Unfortunately, your tough units are all the slowest units in the list.  Though your vehicles WILL help keep your other units alive; when those units are eventually forced to dismount (in order to perform some sort of offensive action/attack), they will not survive long.

Flexibility: 1.0/2.0

The list does have some redundancy, and it does not rely on any one unit to win.  However, it is HEAVILY geared towards defeating swarm lists (whether you ment to go that route or not, I don't know), and therefore is not quite as flexible as an "all-comers" list would need to be.

Lethality: 1.5/2

This list will bring the pain.  Hordes especially will feel your wrath.  Elite armies will feel it less, but the shear volume of firepower you can pump out will make sure they know you're there.

Mobility: 1.0/2.0

As stated earlier, your most durable units are the slowest ones you have.  Thankfully, they pack long range weapons which help off-set their lack of speed, but when you start to find yourself in assaults, you'll wish your hardest hitting units were faster.  You'll be able to contest any part of the board, but you'll have trouble achieving board CONTROL.

Synergy: 1.0/2.0

You definitely have units that compliment each other, but the list as a whole lacks some cohesion.  I think what you will find as you play with the list is that it will almost feel like two lists that have been teamed together.  Sort of like a Hammer and Anvil... only the "and" is not quite holding it all together.

Total: 5.5/10

This is a good list, but not a very "competitive" one.  You'll have fun with it, and your opponents will have fun playing against you.  If you want to graduate to a more competitive level, the best thing I can recommend is find a way to give the list more synergy.  When everything fits well together as a cohesive fighting force, the rest falls into place.

Good luck with it!

C.S.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: October 2, 2009, 02:16:32 AM »
I like the list the only thing I really don't like is the fact that your only really assault oriented unit is not mounted.  This will make them slow to get into the fight where you need them. 

I might lighten up a bit on weapon options to add a WS for the scorpions and put the Farseer with it. 

drop the weapons on the WS to twin SC, drop shadowstrike runes of warding, and spirit seer and see how close that brings you.   I don't have a codex in front of me.

I just don't really see the scorpions being too effective by themselves and having to foot it to the battles where their support is mounted.  If you had a 2nd assault oriented unit then this squad would be fine but as your sole unit it will be hard to get them where you need them.