News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 pts Ulthwe Anti-Swarm List  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
1500 pts Ulthwe Anti-Swarm List
« on: March 27, 2008, 10:13:39 AM »
HQ:
Eldrad
210 pts

Troops:
Guardians x10 w/ Scatter Laser.  Warlock w/ Embolden
125 pts

Guardians x10 w/ Scatter Laser.  Warlock w/ Embolden
125 pts

Elite:
Striking Scorpions x8.  Exarch w/ Scorpion Claw.
155 pts

Striking Scorpions x8.  Exarch w/ Scorpion Claw.
155 pts

Fast Attack:
Viper w/ Scatter Laser & Shuriken Cannon
70 pts

Viper w/ Scatter Laser & Shuriken Cannon
70 pts

Heavy Support:
Fire Prism w/ Shuriken Cannon, Vectored Engines, Holo-Fields & Spirit Stones
190 pts

Fire Prism w/ Shuriken Cannon, Vectored Engines, Holo-Fields & Spirit Stones
190 pts

Warwalkers x3 w/ Dual Scatter Lasers & Spirit Stones
195 pts

Total:  1485 pts

Infantry Models: 39 (41 Wounds)
Vehicles: 7
Scoring Units: 9
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 03:29:12 PM by Chaplain Swordwind »
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Re: 1500 pts Ulthwe Anti-Swarm List
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:21:15 AM »
I am not an Ulthwe player per se, but this is what I came up with during a discussion about how best to take on the new orks using Eldar.  This list is geared specifically towards battling swarm type armies, it is NOT an "All Comers" list.

Eldrad Ulthran has guided the Ulthwe Craftworld for over a millenia.  He is held in the highest esteem by the Eldar of that Craftworld, and with good reason.  His ability to discern the future and influence the present has saved them from disaster after disaster.  Many times his actions are subtle, but occasionally even he cannot avoid conflict.  This list represents a force that Eldrad might have led against the Orks on the homeworld of Ghazghkull Thraka, when he took action their in order to influence the balance of power amongst the Orks in order to shift their hostilities towards the Mon-Keigh.

The basic strategy for using this army is to form a Skirmish Line of Fortuned Striking Scorpions (preferably in cover, if possible), whose primary role is to prevent the swarm from assaulting the shooty elements of the list.  The Skimmers line up on one side of the board, and then use their speed to refuse that flank.  Meanwhile all the high strength, long range weapons are used to destroy the units closest to the more static elements of the army.  The Warwalkers are Guided to maximize their effectiveness.

I am not really looking for a critique at this time, though I would be happy to discuss possible changes and improvements.  I just wanted to post the list as an idea, and see what others think about it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 10:29:47 AM by Chaplain Swordwind »

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 11:13:58 AM »
HQ:
Eldrad. 210 pts

Troops:
Guardians x10 w/ Scatter Laser.  Warlock w/ Embolden. 125 pts
Guardians x10 w/ Scatter Laser.  Warlock w/ Embolden. 125 pts

Elite:
Striking Scorpions x8.  Exarch w/ Scorpion Claw. 155 pts
Striking Scorpions x8.  Exarch w/ Scorpion Claw. 155 pts

Fast Attack:
Viper w/ Scatter Laser & Shuriken Cannon. 70 pts
Viper w/ Scatter Laser & Shuriken Cannon. 70 pts

Heavy Support:
Fire Prism w/ Shuriken Cannon, Vectored Engines, Holo-Fields & Spirit Stones. 190 pts
Fire Prism w/ Shuriken Cannon, Vectored Engines, Holo-Fields & Spirit Stones. 190 pts
Warwalkers x3 w/ Dual Scatter Lasers & Spirit Stones. 195 pts

Total:  1495 pts, Infantry Models: 39 (41 Wounds), Vehicles: 7, Scoring Units: 9

moc-score (you need to fix the math in your post, as the Vypers are 70pts)

1.. Anti-tank potential: With most units having some anti-tank or at least side/rear armout potential, overall its, Above Average (.7)
2.. Anti-MEQ potential: Good Variety of AP=3 or better and Punching power, as well as some of the combo's, so overall its, Good (.8 )
3.. Anti-Horde potential: decent numbers, decent shooting, Holding units, and some serious combo's avilable to it, so overall its Very Good (.9) 
4.. Ranged Firepower potential: Nice mix of 36" + weaponry and some mobility to help alittle more, Good (.8 )
5.. Assault potential: A couple decent holding units and some good assault units makes it Good (.8 )
6.. Scoring Units / point level: 9 Scoring units at 1500pts is Very Good (.9)
7.. Durability or Resilience: Some of the units are pretty fragile, but there are some pretty resilient unts ot offset them as well, so overall its Above Average (.7)
8.. Flexability: I see it as having a number of options against different opponents, so ovearll I think this is covered fairly well, Good (.8 )
9.. Mission Capabiliy: The dreaded Escalation might hurt it as a lot of the support is mobile; but other than that, its has most stuff covered very well, Above Average (.7 )
10. Dynamics and/or Theme: Its deffeinately anti-swarm and it has some Ulthwe elements to it; but I feel that some changes could have been made to make it more in theme and more synergetic; thus I only rate it as, Average (.6)

Rating = 7.7/10 Others may score it differently; but in general I thinkit would do well for what it was designed for (Anti-Swarm).

CaHG
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 12:56:00 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »
Your list has been selected for inclusion in the Big List of Eldar Lists project! You will be receiving a score from me using the 5/5 system as outlined in the Big List of Eldar Lists in the stickies on this board. Following is the critique I have given:

Background: 1
For starters, I'd like to mention how much I like the idea of lists that are not take-all-comers. It actually makes me incredibly happy to see these lists because they are so suited to campaign and narrative play, and if a player is willing to accept the challenges inherent in playing it against an army it wasn't designed to face, and play it theatrically, they tend to make for awesome games. You've included just enough background to give the feel and purpose of the army, and get the point across. In a short space you've done an excellent job. I hope to see more players with these sort of lists that are geared for campaign rather than tournament play.

Composition: 1
Even though the troops section is a bit barren, this list is composed to fit the theme and tactics outlined in the background. It is literally the defensive cordon around a bunch of guns as described. It may not be made to be tournament-style, but the dual prisms and the vypers add some AT power and some ability to gun for hordes, while the guided walkers are quite nasty. The list is composed to handle alternative missions quite well. You have selected units that fill more roles than just horde killing, and while sticking to your theme, you should still have a chance against enemies that are not ideal. Furthermore, since you aim to keep shooting even after the enemy hits your line, investing in shooty vehicles to fire over combat is a good move. Because the list sticks so closely to the goals you've outlined, it scores rather nicely in this area.

Utility: 1
Almost every point spent is spent on more guns, with the goal of shooting a horde to pieces before it can reach your line. Even the scatterlaser upgrade on the vypers is purposeful, as it allows you to shoot at greater range early on and then up the fire as the enemy reach the threat zone. Embolden makes sense as these guardians will be near the table edge and you don't want them to run. I don't know if there's a single wasted point in this army.

Flexibility: .5
Within your theme you have few worries; when this list is used in its intended environment vs its intended opposition it should fare rather well, with most units capable of breaking any potential target presented by the Orks. That being said, there is basically only one way to play it, and this, coupled with unit duplication, creates two vulnerabilities that are particularly dangerous and which will have to be watched out for.

Ingenuity: .5
While you've got a sound strategy and a picture of how you think the battle will go, it would be good to add some information on how you intend to make it go that way. You need to hold off assault elements until they can be broken effectively; mention the application of the Fire Prisms as an assault barrier in this regard [same as the vypers]. You have divination; consider some of the fun you could have with that. Also consider the possibility of the different swarm styles you might face - a pure infantry horde may still give this list problems if it hits your lines [111 Orks and 3 power fists = 1000 points], so plan for it. Also, while you have a good defensive cordon, if you can afford to break your line when doing so confers an advantage, that is also something to consider. Overall you have a clear idea of what you want to do, just consider how you can guarantee that you get to do it.

Total Score: 4.0, for an excellent list
Nothing makes me happier than themed lists to be used in themed games. The idea of Eldrad holding a defensive cordon against a horde of Orks makes for an excellent image, and the idea of two armies that are aware of this theme in advance and tailored to the mission in question with knowledge of their opponent makes for a fierce match indeed. Not every army needs to be designed to face every enemy. Good job!
« Last Edit: April 1, 2008, 12:04:23 PM by Gutstikk »

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 11:29:54 AM »
Your list has been selected for inclusion in the Big List of Eldar Lists project. This space is reserved for an impending critique for the project thread. I'll update it as soon as I have time available. I'll send a PM to you once the critique is here.

Chaplain Swordwind Rating:

Durability: 1.5
Lethality: 1
Mobility: 1.5
Synergy: 1
Utility: 1

Total: 6 / 10
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 01:54:29 AM by Chaplain Swordwind »

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project