News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Is Kill Team a Way to Bypass the Bloated 40K Rules?  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Is Kill Team a Way to Bypass the Bloated 40K Rules?
« on: September 19, 2016, 05:50:11 AM »
I've been reading some reviews of Kill Team.  I've never played it in any of its guises, but the limitations it imposes, combined with the more streamlined approach to force selection suggests to me that it might be a much less burdensome way of playing 40K.  Would it be a good way to get back into 40K and bypassing all the crazy rules and mission systems that are out there, or am I being excessively optimistic about it?

I'm also wondering whether Kill Team would open things up for different armies and combinations to do well.  It seems that the rules change the definition of what a unit is, for example, which may mean that certain approaches or powers, such as casting invisibility on powerful units, may be less effective.  There may also be a greater chance for hordes to give small elite forces the run around.  There just seems to be more scope for fun than there is in regular 40K.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 06:00:28 AM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Is Kill Team a Way to Bypass the Bloated 40K Rules?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 07:15:31 AM »
I haven't played the new Kill Team (though I got the free update from GW, thanks GW!), but even the last edition, stripped down as it was was really enjoyable and what was got my brother enthusiastic to playing the big game after being modeling+painting guy only.

I love Kill Team and its an easy way to get going with playing, painting and getting a nice 4x4 board put together.

When we played it was really neat to see what was really effective and what wasn't. My brothers regular IG infantry were really good with lasguns which far out-ranged my short range Eldar units.

Also scaling up from Kill Team even to 500-750pts is SO fun. My brother and I were having a blast just testing out the Necrons vs. IG at around 500 points with really simple missions like the Relic.

Anyway I would love to see you play again Irisado, in any capacity. Also I've heard nothing but great reviews of Kill Team but also a lot of the new small games they've released like Gorechosen, and the Assassin game as well. Anyway if the new kill team is better than the last edition (which was fairly bare bones) I think you'll really like it.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 09:42:25 AM »
Kill team is still 40k. Just scaled down. Anything to add diversity is nice, and it'd be a great way to play quick games, or get started with a new faction. I think it'd be fun to participate in a kill team organized play event.

I still find 40k to be a great game to play. Especially now with all the options there are in building armies. Sure, people find ways to abuse it, but it's the same with any game.  have a blast getting in games, and I look forward to events I have coming up.

Kill team has a low investment (200pts of models can be as cheap as a box of tactical marines), so it's not hard to get a force built up for it. No reason not to try it out, and the rules are available for $10 (Canadian) on the Black Library site.

Would I say that it's better then playing a normal 1500pt of 40k? No, just different. Same as playing highlander, or 40k Classic, or ITC. All different ways to play with their own pros and cons.

My own LGS has been playing 400pt games recently as part of a getting started league, and I'm really enjoy it. My poor Tempests Scions enjoy getting the snot beat out of them, but I can play two games in an hour. The biggest issue I find with playing small sized games, is that I can't stop itching to expand to larger games.

Irisado, if you like the small game format, you should also look into the Generals Handbook for Age of Sigmar. They have rules in there for warbands and I think it'd be right up your alley. I think that you would really enjoy Age of Sigmar, as it's the streamlined flexible game I think you'd like 40k to be.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 04:34:29 AM »
What Killersquid said :)

Kill Team is 40,000, it's the same game. In the same way that Apocalypse is 'big' 40K, Kill Team is 'small' 40K. But you have generally the same options/rules/codexes to choose from. But it's all rolled into a smaller package where you only use 200 points and have a limit on certain units you can take (no HQ, no high AV vehicles etc).

It's definitely a fun game to play, and it gives a good excuse to model and paint a specific Kill Team as a project. Personally I prefer playing 1500 point games where I get to use more of my collection. But then I don't feel 40K is 'bloated' or has 'crazy rules and mission systems'...

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 08:51:15 AM »
well, Irisado, your first instincts are right: the limitations do put away some of the  nastiest things, and the new way units work removes some power from certain things as well. (Though it also makes some things rather weird).

Considering you hate playing with superheavies, gargantuans, and flyers, kill-team would be an ideal way to get back into the state where you loved playing 40k in. That's not to say there's no exploits to be made: vehicles can still be very powerful, as there's generally less that's able to deal with them, and whatever IS on the table can more easily be singled out.

However, since the games are smaller, it's often easier to just tell people that the list they built just isn't fun to play against, and the number of these exploits is certainly weaker. So... I'd say, have a go with it!
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 09:48:28 AM »
It's good to know that my first instincts were correct in this instance :).

I've no doubt that there will still be exploits and powerful units, it has always been this way for any edition or format of 40K.  At least, however, it would be more manageable in terms of unit types and model scale though, that's the main attraction for me.  Small point battles are not normally something I enjoy, but iI'd happily put these previous reservations aside if it means removing all those units types I don't enjoy being part of the game.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Dev Null

• GW has copyrighted my ability to be wrong.
« Reply #6 on: October 3, 2016, 11:39:31 AM »
I'd been thinking about giving Kill Team a whirl as well, but I haven't played any 40k in a couple of years, so I'm assuming at least a couple of versions of the rules have gone by since then.  Would I have to go out and buy all-new rulebooks?  Or are things like unit stats somehow encapsulated in the Kill Team rules?

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #7 on: October 3, 2016, 02:09:01 PM »
I'd been thinking about giving Kill Team a whirl as well, but I haven't played any 40k in a couple of years, so I'm assuming at least a couple of versions of the rules have gone by since then.  Would I have to go out and buy all-new rulebooks?  Or are things like unit stats somehow encapsulated in the Kill Team rules?
If you buy the Kill Team box, it includes the rules for kill team as well as a mini copy of the core rules.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #8 on: October 3, 2016, 02:31:31 PM »

The rules have also been on the Black Library site since Christmas. It's a $10 (Canadian) Digital download.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #9 on: October 4, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
Kill Team Rules and 40K main rules are in the Kill Team box, and then you would need whatever Codex/Supplement books you want to run Kill Teams out of.

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 03:50:51 PM »
or use one of the two killteams included in the box - the rules for them are included as well (including unit stats and everything)
check out my Iyanden painting blog.