News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Girls and Warhammer  (Read 6991 times)

Offline cabie22 (Thread-Jacker)

• i can ride my bike with no handlebars
Re: Girls and Warhammer
« Reply #20 on: May 9, 2008, 12:43:11 PM »
man i feel like you guys are lucky to have girlfriends who will play warhammer with you!  Mine will play video games with me (except for Halo  >:( ) and sometimes paint my models with me, but she would never pick up the measuring tape and dice.... ever!
I wish i had some wraithbone

Offline vendettaseve

« Reply #21 on: May 9, 2008, 04:03:27 PM »
Ok, I admit I deserve a smack upside the head for that one.

You deserve a trophy for that one I think.

Offline Snike

• ...I personally prefer the term "beyond faith".
« Reply #22 on: May 9, 2008, 04:29:56 PM »
I second.

My sis is this "unlogical" kind of girl and she gets fed up pretty fast with stuff such as playing 40K, which require thinking of tactics and probability. She, along with my brother, whatsoever is into 40K, though more into fluff, fancy pics in the books, painting and collecting some of the cute/cool models. And Khorne. Yes. Khorne. She has like five models at the moment: a Krootox, Ahriman, Khorne Lord and a themed CSM to accompany the last two.
On the other hand, my ex-girlfriend was not interested in 40K in any way except in the "wow cool creatures/sci-fi soldiers!"-way.
I'LL BE BACK SOON!

CSM - Nurgle - The Dead Company of Morgion - 4900+ points and growing
Nids - Hive Fleet Thanatos - 2100 points and growing (reaaally slowly)
Coming maybe someday: Orks - Da Black Jawz

Check this out! :D

Offline eldoriath

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 09:08:42 AM »
I go by the golden throne (the web comic) theory:
Girl gamers are simply a myth. Some claim to have seen them, but it has never been able to be prove it.
And remember:
If you do find one (assuming they do exist), never try to start a "relationship" with them, since this will lead to less gaming time and less money for models since the girl gamers are assumed to make you support their gaming time and buy models for them instead.

On a serius note though:
In my gaming area there seem to be almost no 40k girl gamers, the one i know has been drawn in by her boyfriend, but there seem to exist more on the fantasy side though. Not many, just a some few, but more then in 40k at least.

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2008, 10:35:50 AM »
I don't see why anyone would want to mix their hobby with their girlfriend.  Shared interests are all well and good, but you need somewhere to hide when you've had a falling out.

Otherwise things can get awkward.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline St.Germaine

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 12:33:18 PM »

I have agree, in spades!

I disagree with the comment that most females who play 40k play SoB.  I think that this is a generalization that most guys want to believe.  "they're girls so they'll want to play girls in the game"  While my sampling is by no means broad enough to make any generalizations (4 female players since I started playing back in 40Kv2), only one of them plays SoB.  The others were 2 Eldar and a Marine.  I've met almost twice as many women who play WFB and over half play Elves of one type or the other so it doesn't surprise me that "Space Elves" are also popular with the ladies.  Even then all is not what it seems.  The SoB player is the fiancee of one of the guys in the group and has a 100% converted army with a Halloween/Undead theme.  It is spectacular!  I love playing with or against her.  The Marine army is also not what it seems.  I've been playing for a very long time and my wife, while a long time gamer as well, has never been very interested in 40K.  She's joked about "Barney" marines from time to time and finally quit joking.  She said that if I painted them for her, she'd play.  So now I'm working on my next army and some purple and green marines that will be "Barney" marines to her and the Imperial Claws to me.  ;)
Yes, there are female marines and my Sunhawks will explain it to you.

Not all of the Emperor's Children turned coat. We WILL redeem our honor.

Offline Cripple, Whose Corporeal Form is Now a Shade of Blue

• Interesting....
    • My photobucket, full of all my wonderful WIPs and completed minis!
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 02:02:32 PM »
Just thought I might inject this interesting piece of into this conversation

As stated in the statistics for this forum, the male to female ratio currently stands at 118.8:1

There are 30261 members...

Win/loss since 8/26/09
                    W/D/L
40k Demons   4  0  0
Tau                2  2  2
vamp. counts  3  0  1
fant. daemons 7  0  1
skaven            1 1  1

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 02:29:23 PM »
So women are less than one percent of the hobby.  But that 1% does add up, doesn't it?

Maybe more girls play Dungeons and Dragons.
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 06:54:16 PM »
I doubt it very much.

But remember, that's 118.8:1 of members that have declared their sex.  And I know for fact several males members have selected female instead just to confuse people.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Terro

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 07:06:02 PM »
Probably the reverse is true as well. Some people aren't excepting of the fact that women play video games/wh40k/ are on the internet and so on. I've seen people declare they are female in many online games and see them get alot of crap in return

Offline vendettaseve

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2008, 07:24:43 PM »
Probably the reverse is true as well. Some people aren't excepting of the fact that women play video games/wh40k/ are on the internet and so on. I've seen people declare they are female in many online games and see them get alot of crap in return

I like to say Im a sexy girl on MMOs cuz then stupid guys are like "I R SEE U TIT? HRE HAV 10000000000 GOLD" lol then once they give me the gold I tell them they are losers and go off to buy new armor :D haha

But really I think alot of girls most likely dont declare that they are female just to avoid any potential harassment, most guys are pigs, and with the anonymity of the internet you can say or do anything that you normaly could not do in person.

Offline Zeek

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2008, 10:40:08 PM »
Lots of guyz like this sort of topic because it includes both of their favorite interests in life - girls and 40K (not necessarilly in that order)

I think its more like... Bird Watching. We get to report on sightings of the rare Female Double Breasted Wargamer and can compete for who has the most and best sightings on their life list.

I lol'ed.  I have a girlfriend who plays WH40k with me.  She uses Tau and I use Nids.  When/if she goes on forums that are about games, tabletop/computer/console what ever, she always sets her sex status as either blank, or male to avoid getting harassed by people, and usually chooses a more manly name.  Sir Striker was her gamer tag on a lot of MMO's she's played just to avoid people.  We're lucky in the fact that our gaming community where we live see's a lot of female gamers, D&D, MTG, WHF and WH40K.  The girls are usually brought into the hobby via their boyfriend or brother ect.  I usually only see more mature girls aswel, age 17+ and I've only seen one girl under the age of 17.  You guys can take from that what you will.
It's just a Kut-Ku....

Offline Xodiac

• Infinity Circuit
  • For there is nothing new under the sun
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2008, 12:18:37 AM »
I don't know what you're talking about.  Girls tend to love 40K.  I mean, what's not to like?  If you are a girl, you tend to like guys.  And lots of guys play 40K.  So therefore logic dicktates that girls also love 40K.

It's interesting you mention that because there are two reasons I hear from women I know as to why they have no interest in 40k/warhammer. First, they just have no desire to play army men, which this is just an advanced version of. Second, most guys who they see playing it are totally off-putting. Women aren't attracted to all men. Crazed loonies who yell and scream at dice are not attractive. Nor are arrogant tossers telling you how awesome they are (you need to be a sports star to do this guys, because then you look good, or be rich) at ordering around plastic/metal men. Seriously, a lot of women I know have been in a GW store once, and only once, and won't go back. My wife refuses to go in there even with me, she hates the place because of the people in there. And women are very good at word of mouth advertising, so what do you think her friends who haven't been in one think about GW stores?
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.                      -Ecclesiastes 1:9

Offline Quantum

• Angels of Absolution
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008, 07:28:17 AM »
Girls \ women just don't like these types of games and never will.

However, while this may be frustrating for you younger players (you know who you are, you frustrated teenagers with too much testosterone!), I personally enjoy the fact this part of life is blissfully free of female influenece. And that's probably 'cos I'm older than most of you and enjoy my gaming time with my equally older buddies!!  ;D

Quantum

PS No part of this post should be taken too seriously  :-*

Offline BudgieGuard

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008, 08:03:31 AM »
But really I think alot of girls most likely dont declare that they are female just to avoid any potential harassment,

Something my friend knows all too well online on GW related websites.
She poses as a boy on a Slaanesh website and strains very hard to maintain a character she invented.
Every now and then people find out and the cycle starts all over again.
Note to girls: Just don't even mention it even if you want 10000000 gold it aint worth it.

Offline BrotherCaptainRace

• Kingworks Creative
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008, 09:28:41 AM »
Quote from: -Blood Archon-
My girfriend used to get annoyed with watching me playing warhammer all the time...
Why did she sit around watching you play?  How'd you work that out in the first place?

I think my wife would rather undergo painful dentistry than sit around watching me play 40K.  In fact, she's never even seen me play aside from the one time I showed her how to play with a small 500 pt game (just us two).

Offline premetheus

• I don't do grammer!
  • Armies: Everything, well not Orks
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2008, 11:32:23 AM »
this is the most replied to thread in the Noob section...New Girl Alert! lol this is why few women play...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 11:33:33 AM by premetheus »

Offline vendettaseve

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2008, 04:51:27 PM »
this is the most replied to thread in the Noob section...New Girl Alert! lol this is why few women play...

Haha that reminded me of something.

That New Girl Alert post was like a small squad of Tau Fire Warriors standing next to a forest. Then a giant squad of GeneStealers comes running out, All armed with Pork Sword's. Get me? lol

Offline Wolf14016

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2008, 05:02:36 PM »
While I know some girls that play or are interested in playing, for the most part I've never seen it hold their interest. Why? Probably the same reason I would rather stick rusty icepicks under my fingers then go shopping for anything but groceries. Just gender differences.

Doesn't bother me. Now, the girls (or men, for that matter) who are actively hostile towards the hobby, that's a different story.

Offline IGBunker (-Hela - Finnail-)

• Ork Boy | Infinity Circuit
  • Fear not the death Brothers.forshe is old and slow
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2008, 05:23:09 PM »
well i also play LOTR and we have 2 girls playing with us. Well one now as one moved down to TO but u get the point.

With 40k, ive NEVER seen a female player. Ive seen a GF play confrontation with this guy but no 40k players.

the girls (or men, for that matter) who are actively hostile towards the hobby, that's a different story.

Yeah thats one thing, im currently in high school and you dont dare tell anyone what u do. this girl im "friends" with was asking what i do in town.."Im hanging out with friends" is my answer. Its just somthing us gamers have to fear i guess :'(.
Guant "Men on tanith do you wish to live forever!?!"

Formaly and now know as Hela- Finnail

W/L/D since Oct 2010
Saim hann eldar- 4-0-1
Trench guard- (On hold)
Guard armoured company- 1-0-0