News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Edition of Age of Sigmar on its Way  (Read 11938 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: New Edition of Age of Sigmar on its Way
« Reply #80 on: July 3, 2018, 01:50:31 PM »
So, I finished reading the story part in the core book. It's amazing. There is no reason to get the Realmgate wars books, as the core book does as great job summerizing them, and so much more. 

I loved all the little mini stories, and reading about all the realms. Really great stuff. I thought I loved the setting for AoS before, but I know really love the setting.

My favourite mini story, is about an Idoneth Deepkin base hidden under an ocean of corpses in Shyish. The Skaven accedentally chew a tunnel from Blight City, into the bottom of the ocean, causing the ocean to drain (filling a part of Blight city with very wet zombies), as well as revealing to Nagash the once hidden Idoneth conclave.

The Skaven called the event the 'Time if the Drowned Rat'.

If you're interested in lore, the Core Book is utterly fantastic!

I've also been painting up my endless spells, looking forward to using some of them.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #81 on: July 3, 2018, 06:58:22 PM »
So, I finished reading the story part in the core book. It's amazing. There is no reason to get the Realmgate wars books, as the core book does as great job summerizing them, and so much more. 

I loved all the little mini stories, and reading about all the realms. Really great stuff. I thought I loved the setting for AoS before, but I know really love the setting.

My favourite mini story, is about an Idoneth Deepkin base hidden under an ocean of corpses in Shyish. The Skaven accedentally chew a tunnel from Blight City, into the bottom of the ocean, causing the ocean to drain (filling a part of Blight city with very wet zombies), as well as revealing to Nagash the once hidden Idoneth conclave.

The Skaven called the event the 'Time if the Drowned Rat'.

If you're interested in lore, the Core Book is utterly fantastic!

I've also been painting up my endless spells, looking forward to using some of them.

I read that one and loved it too! I think I liked that Idoneth trick that let them escape the Sea of Suicides unnoticed 8)... Or perhaps Nagash simply didn't care to deal with them at the time.

Also some of the new lore and artwork really makes me excited to see new Skaven ;D. There's one image where the Skaven are fighting someone, and the rats are clad in this heavy segmented plate, complete with the eye gards that kind of look like bug eyes! They didn't look like stotmfiends, so might be the new stormvermin? 

Edit: That image might be in the General's Handbook and not the core book. The artwork is somewhat fused together in my brain.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2018, 07:31:39 PM by MyenTal »
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #82 on: July 3, 2018, 08:13:21 PM »
Where is this artwork of the Skaven? Which page? I want to see what you're talking about!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #83 on: July 3, 2018, 09:42:02 PM »
You know, I may have imagined it, Killersquid, because now I cannot seem to find it at all :P. I could have swore that I saw an artwork like that. Maybe I confused it with the Idoneth Deepkin art depicting them against the Skaven. I'll keep an eye out for it, but I combed both the General's Handbook and the Core Book, so I must have seen it somewhere else lol.

Sorry to get your hopes up! :(

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #84 on: July 4, 2018, 06:03:33 PM »
The background information all sounds very interesting.  How many pages approximately are there about the narrative aspect in the book?  If it's on the substantial side, I may have to take a trip to Warhammer World to pick up a copy.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

• Ancient
« Reply #85 on: July 4, 2018, 07:13:00 PM »
Out of the 320page book, pages 1-220 are background. 1-72 is the story so far, 76-116 is about the realms and 118-220 is factions.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #86 on: July 5, 2018, 04:52:56 AM »
That's the kind of ratio that I was hoping for.  It is this level of depth that was missing from the first edition, so this is a very encouraging development.  I really need to get this book on that basis.  Thank you for the information Killersquid :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

• Ancient
« Reply #87 on: July 5, 2018, 09:11:38 AM »
The Malign Portants short stories they've been putting out all lead to the new edition of AoS and Soul Wars, so I strongly suggest reading through those as well. They are short, and all available to read for free. They help give a really good sense to the character of the narrative, on a more personal level. The Core book is more grand sweeping stuff, but also amazing.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #88 on: July 5, 2018, 10:30:04 AM »
I cannot wait to get my hands on the new book.  Despite my love of the game, AoS has been a mystery to me lore wise, so this will be an education.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #89 on: July 5, 2018, 10:15:57 PM »
@Killersquid: What spells and artefacts of Shyish do you think worth taking? I like the Banshee Blade and the Blade of Endings, and somewhat the Ragged Cloak or the Ethereal Amulet. For spells I'm liking Soul Flay and Unnatural Darkness. Just curious if I'm missing the usefulness of some of the other relics and spells.

• Ancient
« Reply #90 on: July 6, 2018, 04:24:27 PM »
@Killersquid: What spells and artefacts of Shyish do you think worth taking? I like the Banshee Blade and the Blade of Endings, and somewhat the Ragged Cloak or the Ethereal Amulet. For spells I'm liking Soul Flay and Unnatural Darkness. Just curious if I'm missing the usefulness of some of the other relics and spells.

I've not spent a lot of time looking at spells, as you only get spells if you're fighting in a certain realm, and that can be decided by a dice roll before the game.. Artifacts though, you can decide durring army construction, so I've taken a closer look at those.

A lot of the artifacts are very situational based on the hero (and buffs they can get).

Your picks, are the ones I've leaned towards as well, with the Etherial Amulet being the best of the two tables.

I think the Realm which has the 'best' Weapons is Shadow. I think all of the 6 are pretty good, and the Dimensonal Blade, and Sword of Judgement are just crazy.

For Defensive artifacts, the Lens of Refraction, from the realm of light is increadible. Ignoring D3 mortal wounds on all nearby units is increadible. You can compleatly nullify a lot of magic-heavy armies spells with those, and can happily ignore most of the predatory endless spells.

I'm still deciding on a realm for my flesh eaters, mostly based on how I based them. They have arid cracked earth with shrubbery bases, so I'm thinking either Beasts, Death, or Shadow. I don't want to do death, as I figure my Court will have set up shop somewhere they can find fresh food.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #91 on: July 6, 2018, 04:45:21 PM »
My friend sent me a list of artifacts.  I have to go check them out.  Especially the Chamon list. 

It’s a great time to be into AoS!  ;D

• Ancient
« Reply #92 on: July 6, 2018, 06:59:22 PM »

It’s a great time to be into AoS!  ;D

This is the truth. I would always prefer to play AoS over any other miniature game. And, shadespire is also a phenomenal game too, so AoS is my world right now.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2018, 09:48:15 AM »
So any one played under the new rules as yet? I'm hearing locally that it feels fairly balanced so far.

Coming from a 40k environment I do like how the damage carries across to multiple models to stop hordes from getting out of control.

Are you able to mix sub factions under the new rules? As in mixing Ionrach and Mor'phann in different battalions in a Pitched game? Or would they be considered "Allies" and follow the same rules for bringing in models from another order army?

• Ancient
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2018, 11:03:46 AM »
I've played a few games, and I love it. There are a few things I think will need to be fixed (mainly with adding to the rule of 1), but overall things are great. It's not really that different from the previous edition, which is good too.

The main culprits for bent things tend to be some of the Seraphon units, like Ripperdactlys, Lord Kroak, and the Engine of the Gods.

Stacking command abilities can be kinda silly too, as you can end up with damage 32+ Moonclan Grots lol. But, it's kinda fun too.

For mixing subfractions, you can't. In 40k, you can have word bearers and iron warriors in the same army, but in AoS it has to be your whole army. You can't ally the same faction in with itself either. This is something I wish 40k would also do. So, you'll never have different factions of Deepkin in the same army, for example.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:11:50 AM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria