News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Wych Cult of Gore  (Read 22153 times)

Offline 40kfomPodmaster

• Succubus
Re: Wych Cult of Gore
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 03:22:14 PM »
...It was my "I don't care about how badly I will beat you" list - composition will be controversial... do I have you guessing yet?

No, but you certainly have my full and undivided attention! I'm insanely curious...

PS: Saved icons / MS paint eh? Might have to have a go at that...

Offline Grumpy Kwi

• Archite
  • Ancient
  • Ask me for the DE True Type Font
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 01:18:09 PM »
As promised - here is my 1750 "tourney" list.  I always warn my opponents that its a hard core list that uses Kroot. I would only play this when I know my opponent can "accept" it as it is - no mercy, I will wipe you out as fast as I can.

Lelith + Retinue
6 wyches + succubus, WW, plasma, agoniser, splinter pistol
Raider DL, nightshield

What I consider a "must have" at low points (anything below 2k is low points to me) – this unit is extremely strategic with getting to pick the drug. Sometimes I choose 12” charge and sometimes I choose “Re-roll misses” depending on the enemy and terrain setup. Last year’s GT rules says Lelith gets the benefit of the drugs and that is how our store plays it - I have no reason to believe they will change that rule this year.

Wych Squad 1
7 wyches, WW, plasma, 2 blasters
1 succubus, WW, plasma, agoniser, splinter pistol

Wych Squad 2
7 wyches, WW, plasma, 2 blasters
1 succubus, WW, plasma, agoniser, splinter pistol

This is all the wyches I use and I see it really as 3 dedicated close combat squads if you include Lelith's squad. Personally, I don’t think there is need for more wyches if you consider the rest of my list.

Warp Beast squad
5 Beasts 1 Beastmaster

Warp Beast squad
5 Beasts 1 Beastmaster

My distraction & anti infiltrator unit. They get sacrificed quite often for the betterment of the team.

Kroot Headhunters
9 Kroot headhunters, kroot rifles, frags, nymune gland (fleet)
1 Shaper, Eviscerator, slugga, auspex, surefoot charm, blood of the stalker

Huge distraction unit that infiltrates, fleets and immediately threatens armor. Their main downfall is that they are a bit pricey for a distraction.

Kroot Trackers
7 Kroot trackers, kroot hunting rifles (snipers), auspex
1 Shaper, Eviscerator, slugga, auspex, veneration charm (master crafted), blood of the stalker

Another huge distraction unit that infiltrates, scouts and moves like cavalry – you can’t ignore this one as it can usually end up within 1” of an enemy tank. This unit I am still play testing as I normally like to take Kroot hounds instead. So far they are a guarantee that they will reach anything I send them at if I win first turn and the game isn't “alpha” mission. Again, they are expensive for unit that will die immediately if I do not win “first move”.

Ravager
3 lance

Ravager
2 dissy, 1 lance

Ravager
2 dissy, 1 lance

Priorities are often tank hunting and I really don’t have a problem using a 3 dark lance ravager – sure, you got to be careful with it but laying 3 dark lances on a tank is worth it to me as I have used this setup quite a bit and accept its fate.

An overall summary of the tactics is rather simple really. Infiltrate the Kroot and make them the enemy's #1 priority. Meanwhile, the wyches and beasts advance accordingly. I will also make the beasts a juicy target if the wyches look threatened in any way.  Ravagers have tank hunting priorities and will provide crowd control after the armor threats have been neutrilized.

I will start a bat-rep shortly against decent player with Dark Angels list, deathwing I think they call it (the one with all terminators).

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 02:10:05 PM »
Do you not get tanked for Comp scores with that list?  You have as many ally squads as you do Wych squads in the army. 
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline Grumpy Kwi

• Archite
  • Ancient
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 06:02:01 PM »
I haven't tried the list yet other than testing it against other armies at my GW store.

So my question to you would be how would you score it and wouldn't people score me down anyway for playing a special character and Wych Cult?  Honestly, I have run into many opponents who feel the wych cult is "broken" and "cheese" and figured I would not score very high on composition anyway.

Now I could make a wych cult list very similar to this but without the Kroot - would it score higher? Would it make a difference?  Something like this:

Lelith + retinue on a raider
Wych squad on a raider
Wych squad on a raider
Wych squad on a raider
Warp Beast squad
15 warriors
13 warriors
3 ravagers

or cut the middle and only add one Kroot squad

Lelith + retinue on a raider
Wych squad on a raider
Wych squad on a raider
Wych squad on a raider
Warp Beast squad
15 warriors
10 Kroot Carnivores
3 ravagers

There is a part of me that wants to cut the Kroot out but they add so much to the tactics and also help me immensely against those cheesy lists (even the weakest kroot troop choice like the carnivores help alot).

What do ya think? Kroot or no Kroot?

Offline Bannedface666

• BANNED - Spammer: Forum Blathermouth | Archite
  • Artist for hire... Mostly banned :)
    • cubiclebattles
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 04:24:38 PM »
A rather sad Wych Cult battle report is up on the first post... Very sad.... I find it not even worthy of putting up there, but, it is a Wych Cult Bat Rep... :(

Offline Grumpy Kwi

• Archite
  • Ancient
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 07:39:31 PM »
A rather sad Wych Cult battle report is up on the first post... Very sad.... I find it not even worthy of putting up there, but, it is a Wych Cult Bat Rep... :(

Yes, he was a sad player - usually my opponents will wait until the game is over and I beat them to tell me the Wych Cult is "cheesy" and "broken", gah!

Here is a link to the Battle Report with the 1750 listed above. Tell me what you think.

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=157187.0

Offline Insulin Junkie

• Death or Glory! Mostly Death...
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008, 11:21:51 AM »
Hey there all,

I'm new to the Dark Eldar and am just starting a Wych cult. So I was wondering, is it too early for me to request a position in the Cult?

Isulin Junkie
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout!

It really sucks when a Baneblade kills sixteen Berzerkers in one turn...

Offline 40kfomPodmaster

• Succubus
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 02:58:12 PM »
Hey there all,

I'm new to the Dark Eldar and am just starting a Wych cult. So I was wondering, is it too early for me to request a position in the Cult?

Isulin Junkie

Welcome aboard! Keep lurking around the Dark Eldar boards, and you'll pick up a great deal of advice from seasoned evil b*st@rds tactical geniuses on tactics and related issues. As for "officially" joining the cult and perhaps being granted a title, I'd suggest PM'ing Intellectawe or OllieB...

Offline Bannedface666

• cubiclebattles
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 04:18:22 PM »
Hey there all,

Isulin Junkie

Of course you are accepted into the Cult.

Check out this Link.

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=114973.0

It is full of Dark Eldar help. Please check the very first link on that site, as it has some of the rules for being in the Cult and ... stuff :)

I will update the ranking with you in it. Welcome aboard!

Offline Insulin Junkie

• Death or Glory! Mostly Death...
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 04:40:53 PM »
Thanks! I tried to open that link but it is on the original website which is still down for the upgrade.

Insulin Junkie
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout!

It really sucks when a Baneblade kills sixteen Berzerkers in one turn...

Offline 40kfomPodmaster

• Succubus
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2008, 05:10:38 PM »
Thanks! I tried to open that link but it is on the original website which is still down for the upgrade.

Insulin Junkie

Just replace that first link with this: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=861&topic=114802.0

Basically, in any link to the older boards, just replace the  /mos/  with  /community/

Offline Grumpy Kwi

• Archite
  • Ancient
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2008, 07:25:09 PM »
Hey fellow Cult members - I have a RTT next month and I am wondering if I should register the name of my army the Cult of Gore?  It would be like spreading the name and instilling fear into the hearts of the mon-keigh. If we all did that then it would be fun, however, this Cult name actually belongs to Ollieb.

I could also just keep my original name (Cult of the Crimson Moon) and claim it as a sister cult to the CoG. I dunno, just thinking out loud. I may be using Lelith but I am not sure how we would work her into the Cult - what is her relationship to us?

Calling the "fluff" masters to think this through.

Offline Bannedface666

• cubiclebattles
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2008, 04:57:27 PM »
@Kwi

Thats your call! Use either the Cult of Gore or use the Cult of Gore as a sister Cult of your Cult.

At my LGS ( Local Game Store ) I play my Wyches as the Cult of Gore. I don't even use my old Cult name anymore. So far I am winning the campaign :) Link in the first post. Check out the campaign map. I am one sector more than the second place Tau....

Offline Grumpy Kwi

• Archite
  • Ancient
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2008, 06:45:36 PM »
Imagine, if you will, Cult of Gore going nationwide. Reports of the Gore all over the nation... the glory of it all.

Offline 40kfomPodmaster

• Succubus
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2008, 08:34:53 PM »
Well, I intend to use it when I go to a tournament at the end of this month. The word spreads...here in the UK too!

Offline Grumpy Kwi

• Archite
  • Ancient
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2008, 06:15:19 PM »
International it is then!

I will be playing my RTT tournament on April 5th, 1850 points.  I will be playing Wych Cult now that I have play tested a couple games.  I had to adjust the list alot compared to the list I posted earlier that had Kroot and Lelith.  Now that Kroot are no longer an allowed army in the GT's there is no sense in playing with them now even thought the RTT does allow them. I also dropped Lelith as it just didn't feel like it was my army - it was Hers. So this is what it looks like today (I have been changing it slightly just about daily).

Archite, punisher, t-helm, drugs, field, plasma, t-rack and animus
Dracite, agoniser, pistol, drugs, plasma, t-rack
2x 8xwyches, 2blasters, plasma, succ with aggy and pistol
1x 6xwyches, 2blasters, plasma, succ with aggy and pistol
1x 6xwyches, 2blasters, plasma, haywires succ w/aggy, pistol, goblet
4 Warpbeasts
14xwarriors, 2blasters, 2splinter cannons, syb w/aggy (this might change)
14xwarriors, 2blasters, 2splinter cannons, syb w/aggy (this might change)
2x Ravagers w/1 lance 2 dissy
1x Ravager w/3 lances

I did leave out some details but the list is changing depending on my mood so what I listed here is basically it - I am thinking of dropping some stuff for mandrakes but that is purely a "play the mission" unit for scoring purposes.

I am going to see if I can "Water-Mark" our banner on to my Army Builder List. Army Builder does have the function where it will put whatever symbol you want down and place the list on top of it. I may have to make an "official" Cult of Gore symbol for you all to approve.  What do ya think?

Offline Bannedface666

• cubiclebattles
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2008, 09:04:17 PM »
Kwu, my beloved Drachite.... Your idea pleases the Cult of Gore. Your request has been granted. Do not fail your Cult in this task.

Offline Bannedface666

• cubiclebattles
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 07:18:42 AM »
So my fair minions.... How does 5th edition fare with a Wych Cult? Any experiences yet?

Offline Grumpy Kwi

• Archite
  • Ancient
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 06:26:23 PM »
I have been sheepishly reluctant in going full bore with Wych Cult into 5th. Somehow, I fear the game is not the same with them and it concerns me. However, I am almost done play-testing the Kabal setups and I am getting anxious to to get in the saddle again. What started me to play Kabal over Wych Cult lately has been the whole, "do I want to send my "troop" choices into CC?" - in 4th, that wasn't a problem as any other unit could score, now, only our best cc unit in the list can score.

So far however, my wyches in my Kabal lists are not doing so well. I do not know if its a matter of redundancy or just bad luck but 2 wych squads in a 1750 list isn't doing well. Idea being, get as many "troop" choices in warriors and use wyches to run amuk on the board and having all the fun. My latest list has only 1 squad on wyches and the rest of list is focusing on shooting.

So the issues I have so far that need exploring are:

1. Can 4 or 5 squads of wyches live long enough to score?

2. Are the model count for Wych Cult lists too low?

3. Should I be ignoring the missions and kill points and just go for "wipeout"?

4. Has the game changed to the point that shooting is more productive than assault.

I dunno really. I have a GW Grand Tournament in early Sept. in Vegas and I have NO CLUE what my list is going to be - heck, I haven't even played a game yet where I didn't screw up the rules. As I see it, if I want to use a Wych Cult list I will only have 1 month figure out how to use a list like that. AARRGGHH!

Offline Bannedface666

• cubiclebattles
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 01:33:54 AM »
???

You actually don't play for wipe out every game as a wych cult? Thats all I ever do, whether it is a tourney with objectives or pick up games.

Is there any other reason to even use a wych army besides a wipe out :)