News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Need help on basic tactics  (Read 1141 times)

Offline sside3

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Need help on basic tactics
« on: June 6, 2010, 09:46:53 AM »
I am a fairly new player, got the dark eldar back in 97 or 98, and never really did anything with them.  I have since added a few things to the army and still can't quite play them correctly.  I just play friendly games with my brother and neighbors, they all run space marines.  Just looking for some ideas on how to play my army better.  My army includes:

1 Archon
20 warriors
1 talos
5 scourges (1 sybraite)
2 incubi

Don't remember what each player has weapon wise, sorry. 
What all should I do play wise to get the most out of my army? And What else should I get to upgrade, besides a transport, that is already on my list of things to get.

Offline neverXmore

• I *LOVE* 40k Online! I really do.
Re: Need help on basic tactics
« Reply #1 on: June 7, 2010, 06:35:31 AM »
Drop the scourges, they suck. I'm using mine as Sybarites for my warrior squads, actually (minus the wings). Next on the shopping list should be more transports and more warriors too. Then either get more Talos or some Ravagers. Wyches are also fun.

I'm pretty new, but that's worked for me. Something to think about is that DE should be getting updated in the next 12 months or so. This means you've got a couple of opportunities ... people selling their Dark Eldar cheap to get the new models, and waiting to get the new models yourself.

So sad but true.
I don't want to seem rude but if I wanted to take part in talking about why the eldar codex needs to be better I'd read pretty much any thread in the Eldar forum.

Offline sside3

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: June 8, 2010, 05:09:30 AM »
Thank you, and that is what I have been reading about with the scourges.  Ya i am waiting now for the new DE to come out, I was looking to buy more, but heard about the update and am now patiently waiting for some much needed new models. 

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #3 on: June 8, 2010, 01:22:13 PM »
basic armies consit of lots of troops, preferably in raider, then some ravagers.

In a small battle; take a draco, or even a heamonculus. In most cases you can take 1 heamonculus + 1 unit instead of 1 upgraded draco, this is the reason why it's a better choice.

I don't see a good way to use the incubi either, lord + 2 incubi + several warriors isn't a very good unit even if they have a raider, here they don't even have one, which is even worse.

So basic expansion:
-more troops (as well as assault weapons, blasters, shredder, dark lances)
-more raider, for the troops or for future elites or HQs
-ravager, or more talos, I would advice ravagers more though.
-a heamoncuus with destructor, maybe.

Continue reading our cool forum articles, then come back when you have more troops and more heavy support, for some advice on armylist and such.

Drop the scourges, they suck.
If you ignore the points they're actually good. If they were cheap they would be used a lot. Their insane cost is their downfall. Take10 scourges, 4 DLs, the unit cost is almost worth 3 talos or 3 ravagers, this makes no sence at all.
In big apoc however you can allow yourself to forget their cost and you can use scourges without feeling bad, this is the reason why I have 4 scourges squads.

Hellions on the other hand (, our number one sucky unit), drop the points or whatever, they remain bad at cc and at shooting lol.

The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline sside3

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: June 9, 2010, 01:27:39 PM »
Ya my plan was to get at least one more warrior squad, a few more incubi, some raiders, a dracon or hemi for smaller battles.  Then maybe another talos or some wyches.

I was also wondering when the new codex and characters come out will i have to buy all new sets or would I still be able to use the old ones?  I am really on the fence about buying right now if I am going to have to sell what I have and buy all new.

Offline Host of the Tumultuous Storm

• My name + Host of the Tumultous Storm(Night Lords)
    • Team Snake Eyes
« Reply #5 on: June 9, 2010, 02:44:19 PM »
there's no rule about using outdated models. we have one guy at my store who uses all oldschool marines, no one has an issue with it. 
For small point games, dont get more incubi- they're expensive points-wise and are really only used at 1500+
The only reason to not buy models now, is that their wargear configuration might be different in the new codex (pistol / cc wep, maybe) and if you buy them now you might not get those options, but that's really the only reason i can think of.. other than new models might just look kick ass

Offline sside3

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 01:44:47 AM »
Alright that is good news, and I was planning on incubi because I would like to build an army with some of everything, lots of warriors and  raiders to field big armies and also everything else in between.  Also I really like building and painting the models.

Offline Host of the Tumultuous Storm

• My name + Host of the Tumultous Storm(Night Lords)
    • Team Snake Eyes
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 01:57:04 AM »
well you know theres no building involved in incubi  :P one piece metal models!

But though i am a fan of incubi (seriously, they're my favorite part of the Dark Eldar) they're just too expensive to do a list that involves both a lord AND incubi, and still have points leftover for the other essential stuff for winning a game that size, namely, ravagers and raider squads

Offline sside3

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 02:23:00 AM »
Very true, it has been a while since I built any models, been to busy with my son and the military.  But I would like to build an army that would be similar to a ruling house of comorragh.