News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Corax's Traitor Guard (Update 24th January with Pics)  (Read 13346 times)

Offline Corax

• Commissar, Best Painted Guardsmen
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Political Emissary
Corax's Traitor Guard (Update 24th January with Pics)
« on: July 6, 2010, 01:13:33 AM »
I'm currently in the process of building a tzeentch traitor guard army and CSM army and so I thought I'd document it.
I've got several projects on the go and a whole heap of models to put together; at the moment I’m planning to convert units for:

HQ

Colonel Iron hand Straken (Proxy CSM sorcerer)
Primus Psyker
Priest

Elites
Psyker battle squad
Marbo (proxy deathcult assassin)

Troops
penal legion
veterans
infantry squads

FA
Rough riders
Hellhound
Sentinel (Daemon Conversion)
Heavy Sentinels (stalk tank)

HS
Not sure yet

I pretty much have everything on this list in various stages of development

I've got some pics to start off with.

This is one of my veterans, the idea for the armour was borrowed from looking at the works of Modhail, Xanthos and Shas'El Tael over on dakka.
I have 5 others assembled in a similar fashion that I'll probably post when I complete a squad of 10

One of my penal legionaries. Influenced by work of tinfoil also on dakka. This is my initial prototype I have another 9 to assemble and will possibly get a further 10 after that.

One of my Psykers from my Psyker Battle Squad. Pretty straight forward. I've assembled all 10 of these but this was the first one i painted to completion. still have the rest to paint.

Inspiration was Chosen man's rough riders. 1 of 5 but this too will probably be expanded sometime down the road to ten. This one is still WIP and is carrying a flamer. If anyone has any thoughts on how to represent hunting lances using the spears in the marauders box please let me know. I was thinking of using small lengths of plastic rod and running thin wire back to the riders hand. Any thoughts?

This Chimera (also WIP) I've been struggling with for some time. It's the custom transport of my Psyker Battle squad. I don't know what I’m going to do with the front bit. The servitor and trumpet parts are only blu-taced in atm. I was thinking of doing an ornate lectern type thing.   

My first assembled CSM.

This post was rather hastily put together, but I thought it best to start somewhere, I'll probably write some sort of background to give some of these things a bit of context.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 12:14:54 AM by Corax »
My Traitor Guard Blog

Recedite, plebes! Gero rem Imperialem!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Corax's Traitor Guard
« Reply #1 on: July 6, 2010, 08:23:46 AM »
I think that this is an excellent project you've got going here, Corax! :)

I've seen a lot of traitor guard armies, but this is the most original one I've seen yet.

I have a couple of questions to ask, then some comments to make.

Questions:

1. What did you use to create the vet's armour?  It doesn't appear to be greenstuff.

2. What did you use for the base for your Penal Legionnaire?

3. How did you make the raised section of the chimera?

Comments:

1. Have considered creating a Manticore using the Quantum Gothic Catalyst Missile Launcher attached to a chimera base?  I think it would really suit your armies look.

2. I agree, you should make a lectern for the PBS chimera.  It would suit it down to a tee! :)

3. You wouldn't need too much home made fluff to explain the CSM presence.  The lost and the dammed list from the old Codex: Eye of Terror was lead by minor CSM characters, so it is some what officially established.

In conclusion, I wish you good luck on the project Corax! :)  I for one will be following it with great enthusiasm!

Offline lijah_cuu

• Best Painted Hellhound; Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 6, 2010, 09:20:28 AM »
Some really nice work there! Some lovely conversions and im loving the chimera!!

Offline Corax

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Political Emissary
« Reply #3 on: July 6, 2010, 09:30:14 AM »
Thanks Tangi and lijah cuu

To answer your questions

1. The armour is made from bits of the kroot sprue. The part obscuring the face is a shoulder pad and the abdomen plate is a piece of loose armour; it originally had a grenade on it.

2. The main model is a vampire count's crypt ghoul, with a pig iron militia head

3. The bits used for that come from the bastion set (I think), the back door and the front bit. The roof is made from two old style imperial guard dozer blades. The top spikes came from the CSM dozer, and the grey triangles down the side were from an old SM dozer too. The view ports are from the baneblade.
The rest is all plasticard. As far as assemblage goes, I knew were I wanted all the pieces to go. I started with the back and sort of built it to the front, and then went up the different stepped levels till i got it to the right size to fit the top on.

As far as a manticore goes I had thought about making one similar to the old russian Katyusha rocket launcher to give it a more rag tag feel; but I do like the new model :/

Thanks for the encouragment
« Last Edit: July 6, 2010, 09:32:07 AM by Corax »
My Traitor Guard Blog

Offline Chosen Man

• Princeps Maximus, Swarmlord, High Lord of Rummy's Privy due to Pissing Him Off, Pookie noobkin, Now 5% less organic
  • Ancient
  • Yes my other car is an AT-AT....
« Reply #4 on: July 8, 2010, 09:57:56 PM »
Great work on the conversion and some of the ideas your using. Looking forward to seeing your army come together. There are never enough traitor guard armies out here ;)
"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!" -Tactica Imperium

Rynnsguard HQ: My Imperial Blog

Anarchy's Heart: My Alpha Legion Blog

Offline Corax

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Political Emissary
Re: Corax's Traitor Guard (updated 17th July with more pics)
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 09:12:32 AM »
Thanks Chosen Man :)

I've been busy the past week putting this guy together. My version of the stalk tank, still in the WIP phase as i still have a bit more detail work to do around the armour and on the claw hinges. I'll also be basing it on a valkyrie size base.

I'll be using it as a proxy for either a scout or more likely a heavy sentinel.

My Traitor Guard Blog

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Re: Corax's Traitor Guard (Update 17th July with Pics)
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 09:36:50 AM »
I love the stalk tank, and the infantry looks to be coming on well.

On the chimera, I like what you're aiming for but I think that the rear superstructure is really tall and its going to overshadow the front easily and make it look unballanced. I'd suggest looking at a sort of pulpit with a balustrade maybe? If you put that around the servitor and perhaps a hatchway next him? Sort of mixes in some mechanical functionality with the decor...

Creative use of the old dozer blades by the way!
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Corax

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Political Emissary
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 10:05:31 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts Hymirl.  Your points about the balance are understandable. Hopefully the combination of an extravagant pulpit and supporting runners may be enough to balance it out. *fingers crossed*
Functionality was also a concern of mine, not so much just having a hatch, but making sure there would be room for the driver and gunner to occupy space inside.
My Traitor Guard Blog

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 03:23:58 PM »
Corax, I just have to say, that Stalk Tank is excellent! :)

I'd say it's definitely got Armoured Sentinel with a ML written all over it!

Offline kasrkin43

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 03:52:56 PM »
is the armored collar from a SM jump pack?!

looks amazing!

Offline Corax

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Political Emissary
« Reply #10 on: August 3, 2010, 01:32:13 AM »
is the armored collar from a SM jump pack?!

looks amazing!
If your talking about the guy, no the collar is just a piece of plastic strip
My Traitor Guard Blog

Offline Khargrim

« Reply #11 on: August 6, 2010, 10:00:01 AM »
i find your blog very stimulating in an inspirational way :) very nice looking so far matey

Offline Semaj_14

• "I don't need Luck, I have Flamers!"
« Reply #12 on: September 3, 2010, 02:14:23 AM »
Howd you make that Servitor?
it looks badd ass!
"Through the Fires of battle Unto the Anvil of war!"

"When In doubt Just add More Melta!"

Offline Corax

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Political Emissary
Re: Corax's Traitor Guard (Update 27th September with Pics)
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 10:05:53 PM »
Howd you make that Servitor?
it looks badd ass!
Thanks It's made using a fantasy zombie as a base then converted using greenstuff, platicard, and guitar wire

Ok so i've finally got some time to update this project.
1st off I've nearly finished my rough riders. The only thing I think I'll add to them is to tech them up a bit with some wires. I also changed the arm on the flamer guy to match the others.
I had thought about adding the explosives to the lances bit I think anything i add would detract from the lance. At the moment I'm considering just painting them like power weapons. though I'm open to suggestions.

I've now got a base for my stalk tank. The only thing that's missing is the barbed wire, though perhaps a little more drama in the base might work.

My chimera conversion is progressing slowly though i have had some ideas I'm still working them out. i intend to put another 2 of those supporting braces on either side of the back.
I'm thinking of building some kind of psychic relay/amplifier next to the guy but i don't know what something like that would look like.

I've taken the steampunk stuff of the thing. I bought some tyranid guns though nothing seems to work. i'm thinking of leaving it as is.

I started some test painting over the weekend and am quite pleased with the results though i think i need to introduce another colour for detailing, particularly for lights and vehicles atm i'm considering a copper colour of perhaps a green

Any thoughts?
My Traitor Guard Blog

Offline Semaj_14

• "I don't need Luck, I have Flamers!"
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 06:09:13 PM »
What the heck is that wierd alien thing? (Just what I would expect to see in a galaxy whith filthy xenos and warp beasts in it. Albeit docile looking ones. lol) A coppery green? You may want to try it out on one tank and see if you like it or not. Perhpas just a section of the tanks. Just ask yourself while your painting Where could I break up (the majority of whatever color you are using) This color. And where would this one look good?
"Through the Fires of battle Unto the Anvil of war!"

"When In doubt Just add More Melta!"

Offline Corax

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Political Emissary
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 02:13:51 AM »
The Thing is from the smog 1880 range and i'll probably use it as a chaos spawn even though i wanted to convert it to a sentinel.

I actually meant to say copper or green, and i definitely won't be painting the whole tank that colour it's just for detail work.
My Traitor Guard Blog

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 01:41:55 PM »
The Thing is from the smog 1880 range and i'll probably use it as a chaos spawn even though i wanted to convert it to a sentinel.

Its Cool, and very very alien. I think it looks much better without the steam powered extras.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline m3talh3llth

• Ork Boy
  • Lando was a narc!
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 08:10:46 PM »
As far as making the alien dude into a sentinel goes, have you considered sticking a guardsman (or 2) on top carrying a weapon. The easiest i think would be just carrying a Missile Launcher with some rounds slung over the side on some sort of saddle, or maybe mount a Multilaser turret on top of the "head" or under the "chin" with controls for the guardsman to use. Idk just an idea i had when i came across this, good work btw, I love to see good renegade guard conversions  ;D
Nothing to lose, everything to gain

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 11:51:08 AM »
These are phenomenal, I'm adding a link to the Conversions Forum sticky.

I hate to be another person to ask about the armor on the Guardsman, but what do you mean by "piece of loose armor," you mean the Kroot armor plate with the round grenade tied to it?
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline Corax

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Political Emissary
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 08:26:10 PM »
@Hymirl: Yeah given it's bird like appearance I thought it could pass as a teeztchian daemon so the additions had to go.

@m3talh3llth: and interesting idea giving it crew, i had not considered that. If I did I'd probably use the ghouls how i've converted them before, as regular guardsmen would look too out of place. that being said i'll mull it over i'm not in any rush on that model.

@Mr. Peanut: Wow thanks! It's a bit of a shame that this board doesn't get more traffic.
and yes
1. The armour is made from bits of the kroot sprue. The part obscuring the face is a shoulder pad and the abdomen plate is a piece of loose armour; it originally had a grenade on it.
;)

Just as a side note my order from Quantum Gothic has been shipped. I'm getting a Missile Launcher Catalyst for a Manticore conversion and a set of 3 Sentry Guns to use as a heavy weapons team.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 08:28:30 PM by Corax »
My Traitor Guard Blog