News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000 pts Testing the water  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Khulric

• Everyone's favorite lurker.
  • Armies: Necrons, Alpha Legion (everything)
2000 pts Testing the water
« on: November 28, 2012, 02:29:00 AM »
Hey everyone, good to see some of you zombots are still roaming the galaxy, harvesting the fleshy ones.

I've been toying around with tossing together a Necron list lately.  They were the first army that I played for 40k back in 3rd ed.  My plans for Chaos will take a long time to convert up, so this will get me back into the game faster.

I've got a 'date' with Angron and his World Eaters on Friday, so I have a chance to test this in a few days.  Now, just because I know what I'm up against, I still only play with the idea of all comers lists.

Anrakyr the Traveller

15 Warriors
15 Warriors
15 Warriors
Ghost Ark
Ghost Ark

Triarch Stalker - Shredder

5 Destroyers
4 Destroyers

Doomsday Ark
Doomsday Ark

2000 pts.

I could split two of the warrior squads down to 2 10 man squads to march next to the 15, and then 2 5 man squads to ride in the ghost arks. 

Honestly, I would normally reduce or drop the Destroyers for Deathmarks and maybe tomb spyders.  The Deathmarks to hunt hard targets (Flyrants), and the Spyders to repair the Stalkers and countercharge for them. 

I really would like to base my force on the old book in regards to "Their number is legion, their name is Death..."  So a large mass of warriors, that keep rising from the grave, accompanied with some nice large blast weapons, and twin linked boons are the focus. 

Another note, using the Traveller is more of a throwback to my old nickname 'Virus' than anything else, so it's a Lord that I believe I will have fun with regardless.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
Re: 2000 pts Testing the water
« Reply #1 on: December 1, 2012, 11:53:34 AM »
First few things that stand out to me include your Warriors squads being too large to fit into the Ghost Arks, Anrakyr doesn't seem to fit into this list, and I'm curious why you chose Particle Shredder's for your Stalkers.

I would go ahead and split up your Warriors into more units. I like having nice large squad to walk the table between Ghost Arks and keep the Ghost Arks full with their own squads.

Why no Immortals in an Anrakyr list? One squad get free special rules and are a little sturdier to hold an objective.

The Triarch Stalkers don't need to bring more Anti-Infantry to the table IMO. You already have 65(130 rapid fire!) Gauss Flayer shots on the table, plus the Destroyers for MEQ, and the Doomsday Arks for TEQ (or anything for that matter.) Personally I don't see the point in spending any extra points to change the guns out on the Stalker. The standard Heat Ray is great and versatile with a Flamer template or multi-shot Melta.

The only problem I have with the Doomsday Ark is it has to stay still to fill holes in the list. Once it moves it's just another anti infantry weapon, and it has to move to gain the Jink save. Plus the gun sits so low to the ground that basically any cover gets in the way so you need the best firing lines, and that usually involves moving to get them throughout the game.

I noticed I'm a little late to help out before the big game but if this is the list you used, let us know how it went!

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: December 1, 2012, 12:24:06 PM »
First few things that stand out to me include your Warriors squads being too large to fit into the Ghost Arks, Anrakyr doesn't seem to fit into this list, and I'm curious why you chose Particle Shredder's for your Stalkers.

I would go ahead and split up your Warriors into more units. I like having nice large squad to walk the table between Ghost Arks and keep the Ghost Arks full with their own squads.

Why no Immortals in an Anrakyr list? One squad get free special rules and are a little sturdier to hold an objective.

The Triarch Stalkers don't need to bring more Anti-Infantry to the table IMO. You already have 65(130 rapid fire!) Gauss Flayer shots on the table, plus the Destroyers for MEQ, and the Doomsday Arks for TEQ (or anything for that matter.) Personally I don't see the point in spending any extra points to change the guns out on the Stalker. The standard Heat Ray is great and versatile with a Flamer template or multi-shot Melta.

The only problem I have with the Doomsday Ark is it has to stay still to fill holes in the list. Once it moves it's just another anti infantry weapon, and it has to move to gain the Jink save. Plus the gun sits so low to the ground that basically any cover gets in the way so you need the best firing lines, and that usually involves moving to get them throughout the game.

I noticed I'm a little late to help out before the big game but if this is the list you used, let us know how it went!

With all that Gauss, armor isn't really problem so having the shredders on the stalkers isn't a big deal. I'll agree though that that the standard heat ray would be better for the added AP punch.

I have used Ghost Arks along side 20-man warrior blobs before. Units don't have to go in the vehicle that was purchased for them. Same reason 10-man Devastator squads will purchase Razor backs, to get the extra heavy gun. The Arks allow those large squads to stay large as they move across the table and act as a screen.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: December 1, 2012, 04:06:14 PM »
Agreed with your points Partninja.

Having a ton of Gauss is also a point against having more anti infantry in the Particle Shredder also though. It's all about what the enemy brings to the table I guess. A lot of 4+ armor models would probably be more annoyed by the Particle Shredder then Marines or Guard.

With the Ghost Arks, I'd still like to keep a squad inside of it to keep the enemy from targeting them specifically. Not having a squad inside though should make the Arks less of a target and if the blobs take too much damage, they can always jump inside and float away much quicker to rebuild.

Offline Khulric

« Reply #4 on: December 3, 2012, 01:53:52 AM »

Sorry for the late reply, but it's been a busy weekend.

You are correct that the warriors are too numerous to stay in the arks.  I am still a fan of the old phalanx of ours, and am seeing if I can get it to work with a large number of warriors advancing together with the arks repairing the fallen, and doing emergency pick up in case of too many casualties.  I have used a similar list with CSM with two 20 man squads of marines hiding behind a moving wall of two rhinos as they advance across the field. 

Anrakyr doesn't really fit in the list, though I'm not sure what kind of list he really would fit in.  I personally enjoy the gimmick of playing with your opponents toys, making a vehicle blow up a squad of its allies before being glanced to death.  I'll experiment with him more, but will most likely swap him for a better suited support lord as follows.

Overlord - Warscythe, Weave, Res Orb

Better support for a blob of warriors, and a bit cheaper.  Plus I won't be relying on gimmicks.

About the Stalkers.  I took a decent amount of time considering the weapon options.  The heat ray is a pretty decent weapon, however, it isn't that hard to miss those two shots.  Also, I'm not worried about the AP, I'm used to Necrons not having it available to them before, and the Doomsday Arks have TEQ covered for the most part.  The cannon is too expensive for what it offers in my opinion.  Most of my army is 24" threat range, so the cannon lighting up a target outside of that is relatively useless to me.  However, a large blast autocannon?  Yes please.  Oh dear glorious chaos gods please.  It is pretty cheap, pretty powerful, and automatically hits what it touches. 

I agree that the Doomsday Ark has limitations, however you can still pull some advantages from them.  Even if your firing lanes leave some room for cover saves, then you can use this to control your opponent's forces.  He will most likely keep more of his army behind the cover, while still taking a lot of saves, which helps you move the rest of your army into a better position.  Also, it gives your Doomsday Ark the same benefit of cover.  If the opponent steps out into the open, then those blasts will be punishing.

Alright, onto my thoughts after the big fight.  First thing is I had to change my list a bit last second, but for the most part it stayed the same.

Anrakyr the Traveller

15 Warriors
15 Warriors
15 Warriors
Ghost Ark
Ghost Ark

10 Deathmarks

7 Scarab bases

Tomb Spyder -  Fabricator Claw
Doomsday Ark
Doomsday Ark

1995 pts.

My opponent played a footslogging world eaters list with Angron, and a land raider with a group of termies inside.  I'll try to avoid a battle report, and just give my developing opinion on my units in the fight.

Anrakyr didnt' really get to do anything fancy considering there was only one enemy vehicle, and it immobilized itself on a puddle in the enemy's deployment zone.

Warriors and Ghost Arks -  Well, that was a fun blob of death.  I was fortunate on a mysterious pond that had an objective in it.  The pond turned out to give feel no pain to the unit inside.  So 15 warriors, with 3 saves a piece, with an Ark behind them to bring more back proved more than the Khorne Flakes could handle.

Stalkers - I actually really enjoyed using the shredders.  Anytime a squad that got close has to make a handful of saves, which ended up killing about the same as the heat ray would have done.  Handing out free twin linked weapons to the other units really made the army much more impressive in the shooting phase (Deathmarks?)  I'm going to keep playing with the shredder for awhile.

The Deathmarks were one of my favorite units, and they were a last minute decision to build instead of Immortals.  They finished off Angron, and started rending the squad of terminators before being over run.  I know a lot of lists are abusing the cryptek with the low ap template, but I'd rather make good use of the range on their weapons from cover, and becoming even more potent when enemies try to get too close.

The Tomb Spyder was dead weight this game.  My vehicles either exploded, or weren't scratched.  All with the exception of a Ghost Ark that caught itself on a tree on the last turn of the game.

Doomsday Arks were definitely a good time.  They were in the corner of the board with clear view of most of the battlefield.  Other than the large ruins in the center.  They vanquished many of the Berzerkers that got too close to my army.  The only had to move once during the game to get a better LoS on the opponent's deployment zone in order to keep lobbing particles on his objectives.

In the end, I really enjoyed the core of this list.  The force had a fair amount of synergy.  However, there was a few units that didn't really do their part.  Those being Anrakyr, the Scarabs, and the Tomb Spyder.  If I were to change Lords, and drop the other two, then I would have 175 points to play with.  That could buy me more warriors, a third Doomsday Ark, or heck a larger group of tomb spyders.

My apologies for such a long wall of text, but I do realize this seems a bit against our current meta, so I'm up for some reading.  Anywho, thanks for the input thus far.    :D

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: December 4, 2012, 08:38:23 PM »
Glad you're enjoying yourself. I am always one to try items merely because others suggest against it to either prove it to myself or prove how to use it correctly. Hearing how you faired makes me want to bust out the Doomsday Ark and try out the Particle Shredder. I will say the Heat Ray does give me a dilemma where I could either probably blow up this tank, or try and help my infantry with whatever they want to shoot at. The Shredder seems to negate that problem. My Deathmarks always have been a suicide unit, now I'm thinking I need to try playing them less aggressively.

Offline Khulric

« Reply #6 on: December 9, 2012, 04:18:21 AM »
I'm definitely going to continue experimenting with the Doomsday/shredder combo to see if it holds up against other lists.  Honestly, the shredder could still help you destroy a tank.  It helps get more hits against it from all the other gauss weapons, so more chances for 6's.  :D

I believe that the main reason I lost against the World Eaters is that I was too aggressive in general.  Honestly, I didn't get that far from my deployment zone; I only made it to the center of the board.  My problem was that I was over eager to expand my front line, and let my units get out of the phalanx formation I was working with.  I let a couple of Warrior squads get munched in combat due to poor judgement.  In retrospect, I should have stayed on my back area of the table, and volleyed particle blasts at the opponent until he advanced within range of the rest of the army before unleashing a torrent of gauss, eradicating all of the inferior life forms!...Err.   

tl;dr Shredders are fun.  My army would have played better in a defensive phalanx.

Offline Idaho

« Reply #7 on: December 9, 2012, 07:16:13 AM »
Yeah, 1 thing I learnt with my Necrons that has really improved my game is it's better to retreat away from an objective than expose your infantry to the opponent. Even Tactical squads will run Warriors down!

Offline Bania

• Den of Imagination
  • Armies: Necrons
« Reply #8 on: January 4, 2013, 09:07:10 AM »
I'm missing here some Scythes :) I just find both Night and Doom Scythes extremly powerfull. I love that you can disembark warriors on the objective anywhere on the table and do not fear that tactical squad will wipe them before they get there on foot.