News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: So... (thoughts on acceptable Chaos conversions)  (Read 323 times)

Offline pculliton

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
So... (thoughts on acceptable Chaos conversions)
« on: July 19, 2005, 05:16:30 PM »
Before anyone asks, I'm asking this in the Chaos forum because, well, I'd prefer the opinion of the Chaos community over the converting community.  I definitely respect the converting community, but my primary concerns here are: Will this be acceptable?  Is this a good idea?  Will I be able to play with these conversions anywhere?  And: would the community have objections to this?

Anyhow -- after the buildup, it really is rather simple --  I'm considering building an Alpha Legion from Chaos-converted Orks: Grots as (adorable little) Cultists, a nicely modeled Ork as a Lieutenant (with very Orkish 3+ armor, as well), and 'Eavy Boys as Havocs, with various other Orks thrown in for flavor as "filler" Marines (also, of course, with Orkish 3+ armor, and probably some mutations).

With some demons packs, a nice Grot-riddled Defiler or Pred (either one will do) and an Orky Dread festooned with symbols of Chaos, I think it could be a nice and fairly effective list, as well as being good-looking, flavorful, and touching on a little-covered area of fluff -- the fact that other races reside in an around the Eye, and are just as likely to have been tainted by Chaos.

So... any thoughts you might have on this (either in general or in response to my concerns listed above) please let me know.

Thanks,
Phil

Offline Aronious

• (Arr-OH-Nee-uhs)
    • Game Rats
Re: So... (thoughts on acceptable Chaos conversions)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 08:15:14 PM »
This would be an an interesting conversion. But you should have some well thought-out fluff to back it up. And you should make sure that you are sure to add heavy layers of armor on these guys.

"We're an infantry regiment, Red. We fight. We die."- Master Horkin, Mage-at-Arms

http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php/topic,83795.0.html

"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."
-Goldfinger

Offline pculliton

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 08:43:58 PM »
Fluff, no problem.  I can cover that. :-)

With the armor, I'm considering (note: I'm hoping to limit the number of actual Orks in the list, and keep it mostly to Grots, who look fine to have a 6+ save with their stock model, in my opinion) going with something on the order of a Mega Armor conversion.  Huge heavy plates covering the important bits of the Ork -- torso, legs, and arms.  Leave the head free (just like Marine sergeants, whose unarmored heads still magically convey a 3+ save!).  Does that sound acceptable, or were you thinking more along the lines of "Ork heads, Chaos Marine torsos"?  That's also doable.

Thanks!
Phil

Offline Aronious

• (Arr-OH-Nee-uhs)
    • Game Rats
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 08:46:50 PM »
Marines are too tall and are thinner than Orks. Orks are usually fatter, and more stout I believe. I would just take your Ork models, buy some Green Stuff, and put Green Stuff'ed plates of armor on them. You could even make it look Orkish.

"We're an infantry regiment, Red. We fight. We die."- Master Horkin, Mage-at-Arms

http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php/topic,83795.0.html

"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."
-Goldfinger

Offline Kenaz the Red Returns

• Truth in the eye of the beholder. Behold his eyes.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 09:21:53 PM »
I'm not to sure if this will work for a CSM force. Specialy doing Alpha legion.

BUT I think tha idea would be GREAT as Black (Chaos) Orc using a LatD list (ah LatD)
SO going with your idea
Grots or Squigs=Nurgling
Ock with CCW =Mutants
Ocks w/guns=Traitors
Ork Lt in mega Armor= Chaos Lt in termy armor
Defiler as defiler
demons as demons
w/Looted Leman russes and Sentinals
Trolls from WH=Big mutants
Mutant Orc =Possesed marines

Hope this helps