News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What is your favorite CC unit?  (Read 23788 times)

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Re: What is your favorite CC unit?
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 04:33:08 AM »
Hands down, Archon with 7 incubi, 1 master, Drazhar, and a Raider.

Give the lord a Shadow field, drugs, and agoniser, t helm, and a pw.

Give the master drugs, an agoniser and a pw as well.

These guys have an effictive range of around 20 inches, so can normally stike first, and hit with about 39 power weapon attacks at I6 and I5. 

There has never been a single unit these guys can not handle... normally they are overkill and give me more trouble for killing to many people and leaving me exposed to enemy fire. But for pure killyness - they can not be beat. Except by pure and stupid luck, but then so can just bout anything...  :D
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Tarrin the Space Marine

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • It's ok to be scared...
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 05:04:29 AM »
i personally don't think you can look beyond the style of a dirty big unit of boyz with a nob with claws.

something really pleasant about getting those into cc.
However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.

Offline Thalandir

• Adam's Myspace
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 05:12:24 AM »
i personally don't think you can look beyond the style of a dirty big unit of boyz with a nob with claws.

something really pleasant about getting those into cc.

Also something really pleasant about blowing chunks in them with a fireprsim haha sorry, had to say it

Surrounded by your glory, what will my heart feel? Will I dance for you Jesus, or in awe of you be still?
Will I stand in your presence, or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing, 'Hallelujah'? Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine...

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 06:09:55 AM »
Well for me I still like my Acro-flagellants, Sister Repentia's and Penitent Engines.

But thats more due to flavour and that they are difficult to use units ;)

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Thalandir

• Adam's Myspace
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 06:46:30 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmm i've always wondered what spamming full Storm Guardian squads at the enemy would be like............I think I'll stick with Banshees/Scorpions

Surrounded by your glory, what will my heart feel? Will I dance for you Jesus, or in awe of you be still?
Will I stand in your presence, or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing, 'Hallelujah'? Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine...

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2008, 08:33:50 AM »
Guardian squads with a fearless bubble.....playing the tyranid card of spamming guardians to act as anvils and have other stuff to hammer.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline Volo

• Pada-mod Learner / Infinity Circuit
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2008, 12:24:16 PM »
Hands down, Archon with 7 incubi, 1 master, Drazhar, and a Raider.

Wolf Guard led by Rune Priest is by far my favorite. I fear not your silly death company.

As for most feared (as far as my Wolves go), the one I quoted above would be #1 on the list. 2nd goes to banshees. I honestly have not had problems with anything else in close combat, from C'tan to Geanstealers. The only think that I might think a second time about would be Harlequins or Wyches, but only depending on the situation.

For my eldar, I have to go with my Banshees. I really like my Shining Spears, but they just don't have quite the punch my Banshees do being led by a Farseer.
Eldar ~6000pts
Space Wolves- Black Claw Company, 6,000pts
Saim Hann- ~2000pts and slowly converting over my vanilla Eldar army.

Offline Greg23

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2008, 12:28:14 PM »
3rd/4th ed 40k:
Striking Scorpions + Haywire Grenades w/ Exarch Powerfist (Str9).  I loved these guys
Seer Council :  Very cheesey builds, but I kept them to <15 models.
Stormies/Black Stormies:  Krak and Frag grenades made a big difference for them, plus the obligatory Warlock w/ enhance.

5th ed 40k:
Well, I switch to Tau, so no "real" hth units there.  I did get to pimp slap a Daemon Prince with a Shash'O, bodyguards, and lots of shield drones, but that's after I got him down to 1 wound by shooting the stuffing out of him.  I hear Kroot Hounds can actually do something in hth.

WHFB Brets:
Grail Reliquae:  Great tarbaby unit.
Grail Knights:  Starting to get overshadowed by other "uber" units in the newer codices (Swordmasters, White Lions, Black Guard, Chaos Chosen, Chaos Knights, Bloodcrushers, etc.)
Pegasus Knights:  Fast, probably best flying cavalry unit in the game.

WHFB in general:  Real nasty hth units.  More "Uber" units coming out in the newer codices.  But combat res is still combat res. Hard to compare with 40k, though.

Offline SlaveOne

• He's no good to me dead
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 01:18:42 PM »
Well this is not a 5th ed unit but it was just silly to watch in 4th ed.

Bahharoth - I literally was able to get off 27 attacks in 1 round with this guy. He had somewheres of a threat range of like 27" or more. Power weapon with str 4 and since he was a PL he would be swinging first in most cases and and hitting on 3's. Deepstrike and and grenade pack. All this by his very lonesome.

He is barely a feather in his wings now compared to what used to be. As he should be, but it was still fun to just keep rolling them hit dice.

But in 5th ed Harlies and Wyches. Hitting first is better than hitting hard with the exception of Banshees, they just dont have enough attacks to mute the counter attack in some cases.
Dear Developers,

Please nerf rock, it is too powerful. Paper is just fine.

Thx,
Scissors

Offline Cripple, Whose Corporeal Form is Now a Shade of Blue

• Interesting....
    • My photobucket, full of all my wonderful WIPs and completed minis!
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 02:49:16 PM »
I'd have to say I actually love khorne berserkers, I know of no other squad that can wipe out twenty orks. Right up behind them are IG. With the right doctrines, they can actually be effective, if you use them right (Which I am in the middle of trying to figure out)

Win/loss since 8/26/09
                    W/D/L
40k Demons   4  0  0
Tau                2  2  2
vamp. counts  3  0  1
fant. daemons 7  0  1
skaven            1 1  1

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2008, 02:58:29 PM »
I'd have to say I actually love khorne berserkers, I know of no other squad that can wipe out twenty orks. Right up behind them are IG. With the right doctrines, they can actually be effective, if you use them right (Which I am in the middle of trying to figure out)
*cough* Death Company *cough* ;)

Offline HectorVictorious

• The next sentence is true. This sentence is a lie.
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2008, 04:58:48 PM »
Genestealers, Incubi, Terminators, Harlequins, Striking Scorpions, Death Company, Ogryns, and more other units can take a unit of Ork Boyz of similar points cost.
The next sentence is true.  This sentence is a lie.

Offline Lix Tetrax

• Part vampire, part warrior, carnivore & voyeur
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2008, 04:59:28 PM »
The Talos. Disposable, cheap, tough to take down and just nasty.  Can take down squads of MEQ's, Wraithlords and tie up swarms and infantry until help arrives (or I roll enough attacks).  I take 3 on a regular basis.

The Archon w/Incubi is a close second.

Offline odog

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2008, 07:20:13 PM »
Hands down abbaddon

you pay for him and he does screw up 1/6 of the time, but he is so tough that he can take enough punishment to stay alive, then when he does get to swing, nothing can survive str 8, ws 7, reroll to wound

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2008, 07:31:14 PM »
Hands down abbaddon

you pay for him and he does screw up 1/6 of the time, but he is so tough that he can take enough punishment to stay alive, then when he does get to swing, nothing can survive str 8, ws 7, reroll to wound
Other than a Bloodthirster.

Actually I want to change my choice. I'm going to say Angrath the Unbound.

Offline Greg23

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2008, 07:40:50 PM »
Nastiest WHFB hth unit I had the misfortune of getting stuck in with?

DE Black Guard w/ jacked up assassin + Banner of ASF sitting in front of a Cauldron of Blood.

WS stupid, 2 attacks each, killing blow, ASF, reroll all hits, Halberds, stubborn, BSB nearby.  It wasn't a good day for Brets.  :'(

Offline Tarrin the Space Marine

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • It's ok to be scared...
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2008, 08:36:13 PM »
Orks boyz are still my fav.

Genestealers, Incubi, Terminators, Harlequins, Striking Scorpions, Death Company, Ogryns, and more other units can take a unit of Ork Boyz of similar points cost.

I disagree with this.

30 boyz, nob, claw weighs in at only 215 points.

sure a fair number will die in a fight but overwhelming number of attacks and that hidden claw, backed up with not running away will do wonders, no counter attck is here a bag load of those orks will fight. If the orks charge, and with the shooting from the sluggas, that a dirty amount of dice.

However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.

Offline HectorVictorious

• The next sentence is true. This sentence is a lie.
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 09:20:50 PM »
I'll admit, that'd be a tough match for Terminators, Harlequins and Genestealers because of the sheer density of the mob, but for Incubi, Striking Scorpions, Death Company and Ogryns, they can still win.

215 points will buy 8 Ogryns and a Bone 'Ead.  That's 24 wounds with higher strength, and armor than the Orks, with everything else about equal.   

For Incubi, it's the same Deal.  8 Incubi, with a Master.  8 Wounds, but higher Initiative, better armor, power weapons, and strength. 

For Death Company, they're free (I think?) and they've got not only FNP, but Rending and basically better all-round combat effectiveness. 

Let's face it, Striking Scorpions were made to take down Orks.  High enough strength to hit them hard, they hit with better initiative, tons of attacks, enough points to afford a solid 1/2 the Orks' numbers, better armor, etc.   
The next sentence is true.  This sentence is a lie.

Offline Alerian

• Semper Fi!
    • Harvest Fellowship
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2008, 09:45:23 PM »
Seercouncil of Doom with 10 warlocks, Eldrad and Yriel....expensive, but so worth it :)

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2008, 10:10:24 PM »
My favorite in 4th ed. was IG Conscripts with independent commissars - sure, they didn't kill that much, but they annoyed my opponents to death - nobody likes their uber assault squad tied up by nobodies for the entire game.

Alas, with 5th ed. and in particular the new IG FAQ, those glory days are gone...

Inqusitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera