News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ludo's Tau  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
Ludo's Tau
« on: March 19, 2016, 12:52:02 AM »
I was participating in the 2015 painting challenge but when it went silent I took a hiatus from the site for a bit. At the end of last year I got an airbrush for my birthday. This was shortly followed by the release of the Tau and their beautiful white paint scheme.  I've always wanted to do white but with a paint brush I could never get it took anything other than awful. I thought I would give white a try using a white primer and my air brush to do something I never could with a paint brush. I'm working on a full 1850 list of Tau all in glorious white

Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Ludo's Tau
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 10:15:02 AM »
Looks fantastic! Very clean application with the air brush. What air brush did you get for your birthday? What kind of compressor are you using? I really like how you've added markings. The red is a great contrast to the white paint job.

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 10:39:27 AM »
Thank you!

I have a 1/5 HP master airbrush compressor, a badger patriot brush, and a sotar 20/20 air brush (which I've barely figured out how to use).
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 12:40:49 PM »
Welcome back Ludo! And arriving in some kind of beautiful style too! Those Tau are simply wonderful fella. I'm really appreciating the clean lines and lovely finish to all of the models. Keep it up, and keep us updated on your progress.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 12:54:54 PM »
This is the only model I painted like this in the army.  I used badger's ghost tint purple. It ended up being a little harder to work with than I expected otherwise I would have done the whole Optimized Stealth Cadre in the same scheme to make them stand apart from the rest of the army.

Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 08:30:50 AM »
Wow I gotta make sure I pop into the painting section more regularly. Fantastic stuff Ludo. Love that you went with the white paint scheme that GW's been highlighting. Super sharp look for the old Tau. The paint jobs are fantastic all around love that you added the markings, always an awesome detail. Love the purple Ghostkeel as well. I painted Shadowsun in those colors and thought it looked great. Awesome stuff man I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread, keep it up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 10:07:01 AM »
Brilliant work Ludo and I can only echo what everyone else has said really. I must add though that your weathering is fantastic. The affect you have achieved on the left shoulder of the model in the first picture that you posted is just amazing.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 11:54:44 PM »
Finished up a devilfish. I need to get some pictures still of the 10 man firewarrior squad that goes with it. 

« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 12:26:07 AM by Ludo »
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline DCannon ForLife

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 11:01:37 AM »
Looks sharp!

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 01:34:16 PM »
Firewarriors to go along with the Devilfish I posted last night.  Not as much highlighting on this squad because of 1) their tiny size 2) they are a basic troop choice and not that important and 3) I tried using wrack white to dry brush them with and I'm pretty happy with the turnout. 

Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 03:35:39 AM »
Very clean.  Presence means bunches and yours gots it. Plus I feel the need for catchup.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 11:29:09 AM »
I did a riptide when they first came out and built it completely stock.  I tried posing this one a bit more and it was much easier and more enjoyable than I expected.  I'm also a huge fan of micro sol and micro set after using it for a few models.

Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 02:33:03 PM »
I had to take a break from painting white for a month or two.  I couldn't stay away forever.  The start collecting Tau was too good to pass up.  It did take me awhile to find the cyclic ion cannons.  I ended up getting 3 different versions including an old, old metal one from before I was playing 40k.

Smurf Hero Extrodinaire