News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Battle of the Primarchs!  (Read 20221 times)

Offline Kaze256

Re: Battle of the Primarchs!
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2006, 10:03:30 PM »
1.Magnus the Red- Thousand Suns - Strong enough to break through the terra psychic defenses.  He could have toasted them without lifting a finger.

2.Sanguinius- Blood Angels - Even Horus said he should have been the warmaster.

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2006, 10:08:16 PM »
So the Lion and Russ have had five different draws? Amazing.

More or less. We only really know about the first and fifth.

The first time, Russ gave Jonson a solid blow and they started fighting, perfectly matched, all until Russ realised it was foolish and stopped fighting, Jonson taking the opportunity to repay Russ for the first blow.

The fifth time was on Terra, immediately after Horus' death. Jonson blamed Russ for their late arrival, as Russ had insisted they stop to liberate a planet. He attacked Russ with his sword in blind rage, but Russ made no attempt to defend himself, presumably also distraught over the maiming of the Emperor. At the last moment, Jonson realised what he was doing and shifted his blow. He ended up hospitalising Russ instead of killing him, but he apologised afterwards.

Quote from: Kaze256
1.Magnus the Red- Thousand Suns - Strong enough to break through the terra psychic defenses.  He could have toasted them without lifting a finger.

Curse you, HHCCG background! [FFN]Words do not describe the myriad ways in which you suck.[/FFN]

Seeing as Russ broke Magnus' back in open combat, and all, I thought this one was a no-brainer... oh well, vote as you will.

2.Sanguinius- Blood Angels - Even Horus said he should have been the warmaster.

Ah, but that has to do with leadership and strategic ability, not combat skill. Simply being the Warmaster doesn't mean one is the most powerful in combat, or presumably you would have voted for Horus instead of Magnus.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline supremeburteeto

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2006, 10:29:36 PM »
1. Leman Russ(Pre-Hersey Horus would have gotten raped, but Hersey Horus probably would have won)
2. Sanguinius

Offline Stormtrooper of the Dominion

• Staring up at heaven through the bottom of a glass
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2006, 12:36:39 AM »
Lets see, Russ ALREADY beat magnus, and pre-heresey horus didn't have chaos protecting him.

I vote for Leman F. Russ

The Lion vs Blood Boy eh?  I have to say I don't think the Lion has it in him to be vicious enough to deal with a winged enemy.  Sanguinius by a feather :P
"Yes, something invulnerable, unburiable is within me, something that rends rocks: It is called MY WILL.  Silently its steps and unchanging through the years." - Fredrich Nietzsche from "The Funeral Song"

"Thunder Wolves" - 4000 pts

Offline Dedecus

• Interrogator-Chaplain
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2006, 01:18:14 AM »
Depending on the circumstances, I think Russ could take them both, but he'd have to strike when both Horus and Magnus are in the heat of battle... Since I believe Magnus would lose to Horus, Russ would assist Magnus in defeating him, and then turn on his weakened brother to complete the battle. Russ for the win.

As powerful as Sanguinous is, the Lion was a better tactician(after all, no one had more victories than him... other than Horus). There's no way the Lion would face the Blood Angel when he could very well lure Sanguinous into an area where his wings would no longer give him an advantage, like a cave, or something. It's a toss up... I'd call it a draw, but Sanguinous is no Russ. The Lion wins.
"Repent! For tomorrow you die!"

Offline Teh_Primarch

• "your direction is more important than your speed"
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2006, 01:26:57 AM »
1. Leman Russ, him and lion were the two most skilled and effective combatants out of the loyalist primarchs, Horus was a god like tactitian and also amazingly skilled, but i dont think he couldve beaten Leman Russ without chaos pumping their powers into him. Magnus the red was already beaten by Russ in the fluff, so yea... so much for mr. arcane magic. Leman Russ was insanely tough (took a hit to the head from the emperor and woke up with a slight headache), horus is not nearly as tough as Leman but i would say equally or a bit more skilled. However, ferocity will wint the fight for Leman Russ i believe.

2. Lion El Johnson. Being one (of two) of the most powerful of the loyalist primarchs, id say hed win without a doubt. Sanguinius is a god in close combat and he is extremely fast and strong, but theres something about Lion that makes him far tougher, and more skilled. That something was that lion was killing chaos minions since he was a baby, that guy has experience beyond any other primarch, so id say lion would win.
"in all human affairs there are efforts and there are results. And the strength of the effort is the measure of the result."

Offline TDB

• Lap Dancing Teasers
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2006, 04:16:33 AM »
1.Magnus the Red- Thousand Suns - Strong enough to break through the terra psychic defenses.  He could have toasted them without lifting a finger

He only breached/shattered the wards with the help of his fellow Sons (Thousand Sons IA and HHCCG book 1), Magnus was powerful, but not powerful enough to breach something likely set up by the Emperor simply via a form of communication.  It is important to remember that before the Heresy the Thousand Sons (including Magnus) would not have used large, unpredictable spells so Magnus killing a Primarch with a massive bolt of lightning is 'unrealistic'.

Magnus was incredibly intelligent but his strength did not lie in combat.  Post Heresy however i would say Magnus would be able to melt pretty much any of the other Primarch's faces.  Before this however he was just a scholor, a brilliant one who could use his skills for combat but not really a fighter.  If he had trained physically he likely could have beaten Russ, "his strength was lauded as rivalling that of Russ" after all (Space Wolves IA) but his focus on knowledge and intelligence would not serve him well in a duel like that described in this topic.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 04:18:12 AM by tapdancingbeavers »
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" Arthur C. Clarke
Is fhearr an t-olc a chluinntinn na fhaicinn (better to hear the evil than see it)

Offline Toad_Raider

• Warrior | Honk If You Like Zombies | Bow Ties Are Never Cool
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Zombies are people too!
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2006, 05:58:05 AM »
1.  Russ for the win - anyone who can take the Emperors powerfist to the face & win is good enough for me.

2.  Sanguinius (by a feather)
...a spiffified whizz-bang unit of Much Destruction that'll get whored like crazy in WD and kill a million Monoliths in the release batrep
Lomendil's pick for the new DE dex. Not quite, but we have a 'dex now!

Well played, TW.  By well played, I of course mean god damn your traitorous ways.

Do love Diplomacy!

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2006, 06:27:39 AM »
Bah, Sanguinius fans, bah, I say!

I understand Sanguinius is one of the most popular Primarchs - he's definitely winning the popularity contest - but he's not a physical powerhouse. He never really was portrayed as monstrously powerful in combat.

He has two combats to his name - being slain by Horus and killing Ka'Bandha. Apart from those two (and killing Ka'Bandha was the awesome action scene of all awesome action scenes, I will concede), he hasn't done a whole lot. Jonson is portrayed as one of the greatest warriors, and consistently matches Leman Russ blow for blow.

I will find it very ironic if the final round is Russ versus Sanguinius and Russ wins, because the Lion of Caliban was Russ' equal in every respect.

Offline Iron Crow

• Innocence Proves Nothing!
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2006, 06:49:22 AM »
Russ and Lion  ftw!  ;D

Offline Deloth Vyrr

• Death is my Meat, Terror is my Wine!
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2006, 08:26:19 AM »
Hrm, I dont see why we must be limited to referring to the Primarchs at a certain time, reason being at this time some Primarchs were at their prime, others werent.

Magnus for example, when he fought Russ was beaten, but once he ascended to Deamon Princehood would probably melt Russ right where he stood with little difficulty.

But if we're going pre-heresy then fine, Lemon Russ would win just off brute strength.

As for the 2nd match-up, Lion El Johnson. Come on, you think that sissy "angel" would stand a chance? He might put up a decent fight, followed by flying around the room to avoid getting his ass kicked, but eventually he'll be caught and beaten

Offline -The Reaper-

• Ordo Punkus - Emo Hunters
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2006, 10:48:51 AM »
1. Russ all the way..

2. The Lion, thers no way in hell Sanguinius could take him in a fair fight.. Lion would have snapped him like a brittle twig.

Offline ghost_realm

• I live to taint
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2006, 11:20:49 AM »
1.I am still sticking to my guns and going with Magnus. He almost broke Russ's back but was then kicked in the eye and had his back broken. The hhccg books are mainly art but as far as it goes with the heresy info it does say that the sisters of silence were there. Even though I hate most of the crappy fluff that it presented us with we can't just ignore it if I could that whole emperor with the webway thing would far from my mind. Even if the sisters weren't there to hamper Magnus's abilities he had just seen Prospero boned over by many many warriors and he was enraged which would have just ran at Russ to finish him. In haste getting himself months worth of eye drops administered and had to go to a chairopractor for a few hundred years after the heresy had finished. I still believe that russ would have been the one to kill Horus then Magnus would have killed Russ.

2.Sanguinius due to his fights with both Horus and Ka'Bandha. When it came to Horus he couldn't best Sanguinius in cc and so killed him with psychic powers instead meaning that he was at least Horus's equal plus inside of a battle barge command room there isn't really enough room for him to fly and use his greatest asset. Then when it came to Ka'Bandha one of the mightiest bloodthirsters of Khorne Sanguinius fought him and eventually broke his back. Bloodthirsters are very very powerful normally and so any "mighty" bloodthirster must be extreamly powerful. Sanguinius had been fighting for god knows how long without a break and still he fought and beat the bloodthirster on his own. That is enough for me to vote for him even though the lion is extreamly powerful and very skilled.

Offline Benandorf

• Waaargh! Orkz Ruinz me Life!
  • Why so heretical?
    • Texas ...TeamPlayers...
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2006, 12:13:57 PM »
1. Leman Russ.  He was the best Primarch Hand-to-Hand.  Remember, he lasted ages fighting 1v1 againt the emperor.

2.  The Lion.  He was very very skills, almost rivalling Russ.
Quote from: Yuenglingdragon
When life gives you anything, charge it with Genestealers.
Alarm clock? Genestealers.
Your boss? Genestealers.
The rednecks that cut in front of me at Wal-mart like I didn't have anything better to do than stand in line? Genestealers.

Quote from: unknown
Asking for advice on using VC to beat O&G is like saying "I'm 6'3", work out, and consider myself pretty tough.  Can anyone give me advice on how to beat up the handicapped kid down the street?"

Offline web ghost

• Lookit me! I did something useful!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Beware of this and that" -Edward Gorey
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2006, 01:16:08 PM »
1) I'm going to have to go w/ Magnus.  Even though Russ already won.  Magnus was described as a giant....red....cyclopean...sorcerer.  I'll give him another shot.

2) winged Sanguinius
later WG

Offline Teh_Primarch

• "your direction is more important than your speed"
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2006, 04:55:44 PM »
1) I'm going to have to go w/ Magnus.  Even though Russ already won.  Magnus was described as a giant....red....cyclopean...sorcerer.  I'll give him another shot.

too bad Magnus already lost in the fluff against leman russ. He was about to die so he had to flee. Theres like 2 or 3 primarchs that can match russ.
"in all human affairs there are efforts and there are results. And the strength of the effort is the measure of the result."

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2006, 06:58:38 PM »
Even though I hate most of the crappy fluff that it presented us with we can't just ignore it

I can and will. Forget GW's version of 40k canon, I have my own canon and that says that the HHCCG never happened. Hmph.

if I could that whole emperor with the webway thing would far from my mind.

Which is why I don't think of that Webway nonsense. The Emperor was not building a Webway, despite what that game says.

I'm somewhat bitter towards Alan Merrett and Sabertooth in general, as I'm sure you can tell!

Offline supremeburteeto

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2006, 07:49:34 PM »
Voting will end tommorow at 7:00pm pacific,(or as it says on the thread 10:00pm)

Offline Jester (Hadn't Changed His Profile Recently)

• I put the ass in assault.
  • Armies: The legions of pantslessness.
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2006, 08:01:50 PM »
1.I gotta go with the drunk, entirely because horus is cheated out of his true skill. Just because someone was strong enough to see the power of the chaos gods, doesn't mean he can't use those powers. But, those are the rules *cough*bloody imperialist*cough*

2 Lion all the way. If sanguinus decides to be dumb and run away flying like the little fairy he is, a plasma pistol shot to the back of the head should do.
The Tavern is dead. Long live The Tavern.

Offline supremeburteeto

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2006, 12:08:03 AM »
Excuse my newbish question, but what makes Lion El Johnson and Russ so great, I read of both their backstories and wikipediaded them, but it doest really go into detail about their fighting prowess(keep in mind im new to warhammer and havent really read to much fluff). I know Sanguinius killed hella bloodthirsters, and then held the Ultimate Gates single handely, killing many chaos soldiers in the process, and then he killed the lord of the bloodthirsters, and finally faced off against uber- horus in which he would have kicked his ass, if it wasnt for Horus using his magical amphetamine parakeet. This all occurred in the same battle, this is very impressive, so what did Johnson do that was so amazing?(Since ppl are saying that Johnson would own Sanguinius' ass)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 12:09:36 AM by supremeburteeto »