News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Crisis Suits taking multiple weapons?  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Shas'La robo

• For the Greater GOOD!!... and the Emperor
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Tau
Crisis Suits taking multiple weapons?
« on: April 8, 2013, 01:57:32 AM »
Are suits allowed to take two singles of the same weapon/two twin-linked of the same weapon if a commander/a twin weapon and a single weapon??

robo
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
Re: Crisis Suits taking multiple weapons?
« Reply #1 on: April 8, 2013, 03:38:37 AM »
My answers would be no/yes/yes

The rules for selecting the weapons in the armoury say that when you pick one weapon, you use the first point cost in the listing, and when you pick two weapons you use the second point cost in the list. This means that it would be impossible to select more than one single, standard weapon type because as soon as you select the second, you will have two weapons and be forced to use the second point cost.

We are additionally told that two weapons of the same type count as a twin linked weapon and take up two selections.

The thing to remember is that the passage of text is not optional, it is factual. It does not say if you pick two weapons you can choose to use the second point cost... it really is a simple matter of counting to 1 or counting to 2. If you count to 1 use the first points and if you count to 2 use the second points.

This should also help you answer the second part of your question about the commander.
If the commander gets 2 plasma rifles then we know (using the above) that he uses the second point cost because he must. He now has what is described as a twin linked plasma rifle.

He can pick more weapons, so selects a plasma rifle. This is standard because he only has one plasma rifle (and one twin linked rifle). This means that if he picks another plasma rifle he will have counted to 2 again and so must use the second points cost and create a twin linked plasma rifle.

This mean he ends up with 2x twin linked weapons of the same type.

This train of thinking also answers whether or not you could take a twin linked and a single weapon of the same type.

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #2 on: April 8, 2013, 04:36:31 AM »
This train of thinking also answers whether or not you could take a twin linked and a single weapon of the same type.

And it will most likely be wrong when the next FAQ hits...

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #3 on: April 8, 2013, 05:02:01 AM »

You may be right... the rules say what to do when you pick one or two of a weapon, but not what to do when you pick three (or four for that matter). One assumption could be that you cannot pick 3 or 4 of a weapon at all. I would say that the codex currently allows it - because you are given permission to take a number of selections and no restrictions are placed on them, so if you pick 3 of a weapon you have stayed within the rules.

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #4 on: April 8, 2013, 05:11:55 AM »

You may be right... the rules say what to do when you pick one or two of a weapon, but not what to do when you pick three (or four for that matter). One assumption could be that you cannot pick 3 or 4 of a weapon at all. I would say that the codex currently allows it - because you are given permission to take a number of selections and no restrictions are placed on them, so if you pick 3 of a weapon you have stayed within the rules.

Oh, I agree, it is just that it feels like the typical sort of unintentional oversight that will get FAQ'ed. In other words, I wouldn't recommend anyone modelling their Crisis suits in such a way since it is very likely that that option will be removed.

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #5 on: April 8, 2013, 06:48:37 AM »

Oh, I agree, it is just that it feels like the typical sort of unintentional oversight that will get FAQ'ed. In other words, I wouldn't recommend anyone modelling their Crisis suits in such a way since it is very likely that that option will be removed.

I second Benis.  It also gets very expensive very quickly, but Tau have always had that problem  ::)

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Blood Hawk

• Armies: Stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 8, 2013, 08:59:22 AM »
One thing I would point out is that the old codex basically had the same wording for taking weapons, with one being X, two weapons costing Y counting as one twin linked weapon.  However it did also specifically say you can't take 3 of the same weapon, and no one had more than 3 hard points then.

The new codex doesn't say this which probably means one of two things:

A:  It was an oversight and probably will be FAQed like the previous codex.

B:  Was intentional and probably won't be FAQed.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2013, 09:03:15 AM by Blood Hawk »

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #7 on: April 8, 2013, 11:18:48 AM »
lol, so to summarise;

This is intentional... or not. And we are certain that it will either be FAQ'd... or won't.

;D

The fact is though, that from what we have in the codex at the moment, you can do it. Considering how they were so quick to FAQ a missile drone ruling that basically changed the rules in the codex then I'd like to have imagined they'd pick up on something as glaring as this. I'm not sure how many people would WANT to pick multiples of the same weapon, but if you're like me, you should probably go down the route of blu-tacking or magnetising your weapons...