News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tau Commander Question  (Read 975 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Tau Commander Question
« on: February 3, 2013, 11:56:07 PM »
In looking at the codex for the Commander, the equipment section says weapons OR support systems, however the battlesuit armour section (P 25) has AND/OR, which is correct?

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
Re: Tau Commander Question
« Reply #1 on: February 4, 2013, 08:13:35 AM »
Each XV8 has to take exactly three Hard Points Systems; where a Hard Point System is either a Weapon or a Support System as they each use up a Hard Point. Clearly a Twin-Linked Weapon takes up two Hard Points.  I agree that the wording could be slightly better, but the above is exactly what they mean.  They used to have lists of example layouts which conform to the above explanation, these however got taken down about 3-5 years ago...

Two quick examples:
[1] An XV8 Shas'ui with a Twin-Linked Missile Pod has to take a third Hard Point System.
Commen choices are: Drone Controller with Gun Drones; Targetting Array; Black Sun Filter; or a Flamer.
All of the above is legal and are all good layouts!  (Having 1, 3, 4 is currently quite good in a team)

[2] An XV8 Shas'el has a Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle and Multi Tracker.  You roll a lot of 2's in a game so you drop a Fire Warrior to give the Shas'el a Targetting Array.  Currently your Shas'el has a Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Multi-Tracker and Targetting Array.  This uses up 4 Hard Points so you have to drop the Multi Tracker for a Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker to make your Shas'el legal.

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
Re: Tau Commander Question
« Reply #2 on: February 4, 2013, 10:06:29 AM »
In looking at the codex for the Commander, the equipment section says weapons OR support systems, however the battlesuit armour section (P 25) has AND/OR, which is correct?

The commander must choose any combination of weapons / support systems.