News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: WotW - Saint Snik's Orkmas Competition - AOD 007's Submission  (Read 3779 times)

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
WotW - Saint Snik's Orkmas Competition - AOD 007's Submission
« on: December 12, 2010, 11:10:48 AM »
I started to do the konversions for my project.  The basic idea was to make santa and a few elves.  I used a ABOR big shoota boy, a boyz arm, arrer boyz hand, two night goblins, and misc bitz.

Keep in mind I hardly ever work with green stuff as I really hate using it.  For trying to sculpt anything it is way too sticky.  Anyway I did use it for this project and here is where I am at.

Santa

Elves

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: WotW - Saint Snik's Orkmas Competition - AOD 007's Submission
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 09:11:08 AM »
Looking Good, so far. Will you be using traditional colors or something different?
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 09:18:28 AM »
awesome green work.  Between you and dropfall, that greenstuff work is top notch.  I've always been jealous of people who could do that.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 12:27:34 PM »
Good job but I have a tip for you in regard to Green Stuff. Use your water mixing pot to wet your sculpting tool (or fingers) and it will be a lot less sticky and much easier to work with.

Cheers.
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 12:32:59 PM »
Looking Good, so far. Will you be using traditional colors or something different?

probably going to be painting  the ork wearing red..  I think the goblins will be wearing black.. as probably i will want to use them for ammo runts later...

awesome green work.  Between you and dropfall, that greenstuff work is top notch.  I've always been jealous of people who could do that.

Thanks for the compliment but I really don't have skills working with that stuff.  It is really hard to use.  and is the main reason I hate using it.  Even on conversions I only use it if I have to.  Most of my stuff like my boyz.. I just keep cutting til i get the angles right.Cutting, drilling or doing whatever it takes not to have to use green stuff.  It is like trying to work with bubble gum.  Not even close to anything great for sculpting.  There has to be something better that dries just as hard.  I can't believe that GW sculpters use that stuff they have to use something better / easier.

Good job but I have a tip for you in regard to Green Stuff. Use your water mixing pot to wet your sculpting tool (or fingers) and it will be a lot less sticky and much easier to work with.

Ninja'd...   I have tried to keep it wet.. but it still doesn't work great.  I keep my knife wet. but if you are cutting on the green stuff or trying to mark it .. it moves or stretches on you.  and once it does it is very hard to fix.  I would like to work with something that might take more of a carving to work with rather than something that bends / stretches and then you can't do much with it after it hardens. 

Offline IGBunker (-Hela - Finnail-)

• Ork Boy | Infinity Circuit
  • Fear not the death Brothers.forshe is old and slow
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 12:46:53 PM »

It is like trying to work with bubble gum.  Not even close to anything great for sculpting.  There has to be something better that dries just as hard.  I can't believe that GW sculpters use that stuff they have to use something better / easier.

Id suggest trying to mix more blue into the mixture then. The hardener (blue) will make it less sticky and a bit easier to work with but you loose working time as it drys a bit faster.

The models look great btw! keep it up
Guant "Men on tanith do you wish to live forever!?!"

Formaly and now know as Hela- Finnail

W/L/D since Oct 2010
Saim hann eldar- 4-0-1
Trench guard- (On hold)
Guard armoured company- 1-0-0

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
  • What were all those "do not's" again?
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 08:44:11 PM »
The real trick to working greenstuff is to use more blue hardner, and once the greenstuff is on pressed onto the model in a slight way you want it, let it harden for at least 20-30mins, you'll find that it requires more effort to move the greenstuff after that amount of time so you can then begin sculpting it into the right shape you want.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 11:31:14 PM »
I will have to try that.  I don't use green stuff much because I really don't like working with it.  If I am adding hair or fur it is ok.  But aside from that not much at all.  This is the first time I have used it to try and make something, like the santa bag and the hat.  The hat turned out well but the bags show that i still need some work.  I should be able to make them look ok whetn i paint them though.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 04:31:35 PM »
Sorry for no pics or updates but I have been busy with the holiday.  Anyway here is my completed project.

Santa

Helper git 1

Helper git 2

Santa and krew  (sorry no tree but couldn't find it)

Hope everyone had a very happy holiday.