News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Working with Resin  (Read 2126 times)

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Working with Resin
« on: June 12, 2019, 05:20:55 PM »
I've avoided working with this capricious material throughout my hobby experience, but the figure for Fallout Wasteland Warfare are only made from this less than ideal substance, so I find myself having to take the plunge.  I have read though the most relevant sticky on this topic, but I find myself with doubts and queries, which I hope that those of you who have experience of working with resin may be able to help me to answer.

The main issue that I have is safety.  The instructions that the company which makes the models provides indicate that a safety mask should be worn when working with resin and to dampen any tools.  This is to protect lungs against the effects of the dust.  Does anyone have any suggestions of the sort of mask that I could use?  Does anyone use a respirator mask for modelling which they could recommend?  Are there any other safety procedures that I need to follow?  Is the dust also harmful to the eyes?

I don't have an ideal space for working with resin.  It will probably be my parent's kitchen table while I am on holiday during the summer, which is where I usually do my modelling with plastic figures, but obviously this table is used for eating, so are there any ways to prevent any dust from spreading?  Will it cause problems for others in the same room?  I assume that the best way to clean it up is to use a damp cloth or are there more effective methods?

In terms of the actual modelling, how much dust does simply using a scalpel to remove flash actually create?  In addition, how long do those of you working with resin find is sufficient time to soak the models in washing up liquid and warm water for.  I read in the sticky that overnight was a possibility, but isn't that excessive?  I don't want to damage the models in any way, as they are very expensive.

I may have more questions once I start working with the figures, but I have to admit that the thought of getting started is rather intimidating at the moment, even though I won't be undertaking any work until I go on holiday in July.  As a result, I'd welcome any input between now and then to help me overcome this apprehension, otherwise I'm concerned that I'll talk myself out of even working with resin.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:59:08 PM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Working with Resin
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 06:49:53 PM »
Unless you're sanding, filing and dremeling hundreds of models a week I wouldn't worry about inhaling the dust....

If you're just scraping flash with a hobby knife you're fine. A little bit of filing here and there is fine too.

If you're worried about the kitchen table just buy a cheap table cloth to use while you work. Wipe down table when done.

I think people put WAY too much emphasis on this hazard for people that don't do it all day every day.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:36:32 PM by Partninja »

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 09:44:14 AM »
I'll second what Partninja said there--if it's just a little model and you aren't doing a lot of sanding/drilling, it's not that big a deal. Try not to breath deep when your face is pressed close to the model, otherwise you'll get a mouthful of that garbage and it's unpleasant. I mean, I'm still alive and none the worse for wear, but it is a lot like inhaling a lot of, well, plastic.

You don't *really* need to wash the things beforehand--I never did with any of my resin models. You should wipe them down, anyway, just to clear off any excess dust which would foul up priming.

Oh, and one important tip: don't try to bend the stuff without heating it first. It is more brittle than plastic, so it'll break, and not as able to bend as metal, so trying to bend won't do anything. Heat it with a hairdryer or some such and it will bend back into place just fine.

In short: Resin sucks.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 03:43:25 PM »
If you're doing a lot of filing, sanding, etc, and bring the mini close to your face while you do it so you can see better (as I do), and have sensitive lungs/allergies (as I do), an M3-branded N100 mask is the way to go. Basically, a lot of masks don't actually create a seal against the skin of your face, so when you breathe in, air comes in from the sides instead of coming through the cloth. The N100 type mask has a rubber seal (and is pretty cheap) and gets the job done.

If you're working outside and don't hold the mini close to your face you don't need this. Same if you're just doing one or two minis. I use it anyways because my lungs are easily irritated.

I rinse my resin minis in room temp or cool water before sanding. This causes particles to get wicked up into the water that remains on the mini, rather than going into the air. Sanding/filing is the part that's the biggest problem I think. Afterwards, I rinse the mini then pat it dry with a towel. I don't use soap or soak the mini.

If you're doing it on a kitchen table, I'd probably just wipe the table down afterwards. Also, I don't think the resin dust goes all over the place, particularly if you're wet sanding, so the table surface is all you need to worry about. If it were a big mini with a ton of sanding needed, like one of those forge world knights, I'd probably try to sand it outside.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 06:07:04 PM »
Thank you for responses so far.  I really appreciate them and they are very helpful.  I do have mild allergies, such as allergic rhinitis and hay fever, and I did have very mild asthma as a child, which is why I'm a bit worried about the dust, so the mask looks like a good plan just in case.  I will note that I hope to avoid sanding anything though.  I should, all being well, only have to be removing flash and maybe mould lines.

To give you all an idea, this is an example of the models that I will be working with: https://www.modiphius.net/collections/fallout-wasteland-warfare/products/copy-of-fallout-wasteland-warfare-two-player-starter-models-collectors-resin-set.  As you can see, they are not overly large or complex to put together.  I have a feeling that they may be cast in China though, which is why I'm a bit concerned about the resin from a health point of view.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 09:33:56 AM »
You're probably fine. Most you'll likely have to do is trim some flash/mold lines and none of that really kicks up any dust.

Online Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 12:11:27 PM »
I'm about to finally make a start on preparing the first resin infantry models.  I am not sure whether I should wash the models and bases while on the sprue and then remove the figures and bases from the sprue or whether to remove the figures and bases from the sprue first and then wash them as this video suggests.  Is there a right or wrong way of going about this?  Which do you more experienced models find to be better?

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 02:19:07 AM »
I think both are fine - the issue is the outer surface gets coated in release agents that are slippery and don't allow glue and paint to adhere. As long as you rinse off everything you should be fine, either before or after cutting it from the sprue, since either way gets the entire exterior surface.

Online Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 12:16:31 PM »
Thanks Blazinghand :).  I opted to wash them on the sprues in the end, as I had more to hold onto with my fingers.  It worked pretty well.  Trying to use the mask did not work though because I couldn't get it to work with my glasses and it was also very uncomfortable around my head, so I had to abandon doing any trimming or cutting, even though there was very little that needed to be done, as the figures are cast very well.  At least I managed to achieve something, but I am disappointed.  I really do not like resin.

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 11:26:48 PM »
Whenever I can, I try to work with plastic or even pewter over resin. one thing I have done with the mask is put it on, then put my glasses on over it after adjusting it. May not work if you have large glasses though