News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330690 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Eldar Corsair Army
« Reply #520 on: November 11, 2015, 01:00:24 PM »
@Irisado- Thank you very much Irisado. I'm very glad you liked the pix alongside the report. I'm still fuming over my phone being out of memory for the bat-rep against that accursed Skyhammer Annihilation force but oh well. About the Scorpion Exarch, yes he is indeed a beast! He's really a close-combat monster. It really takes me back to the old days when Exarchs were truly feared... those days have come again! On the Jetbikes, they are just brutally effective with all those scatter lasers. I cannot wait for Imperial Armor 11 v.2 is released because I definitely plan on running some Bright Lance bikes as well. Its a great time to be an Eldar fan.

About the game itself, it was really a huge thrill to play against a Slaanesh themed army. I forgot to mention it but I was nervous when the Scorpions clashed with the Seekers of Slaanesh due to the army wide (eldar) special rule: Ancient Doom where there are leadership penalties in close-combat, but also gaining Hatred. But then I remembered my Spiritseer had cast Mental Fortitude which renders them fearless in addition to some other rules which was also really exciting. Tons of small moments in the game where it felt like all the motivations of the armies had really come to the forefront, in addition with it tying in to my own background for the army and previous games played. It really was a lot of fun. Anyway thanks for your comments I always love to get feedback from you.

@Everyone- Well hey guys just wanted to share some other hobby stuff. As mentioned I'm getting close to finishing my counts-as Spiders group- 1 more model to go! I also finished the first layer of highlights on my Crimson Hunter.

Also my brother has done some great work on new terrain kits I got from a company called Taimiya in Japan who make WW2 models. My brother also has nearly finished are tree stands as well. He did a ton of work on his army to boot so expect an update from him perhaps this weekend.

So anyways guys just rocking and rolling through some commission stuff as well so its been a bit slow. But some new things are certainly coming down the pipe, as well as some exciting new battles which are tentatively scheduled. So thanks for stopping by and stay tuned for more soon!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #521 on: November 11, 2015, 01:43:43 PM »
My Striking Scorpion Exarch had a very impressive kill tally back in second edition.  I do hope, however, that Exarchs are not returning to that sort of power level, because that would be rather indicative of the current state of the game overall.  Still, it made for a great piece of narrative, as your Exarch despatched countless opponents before being brought down.  It reminded me a little bit of the story in Path of the Warrior.

The terrain pieces look great.  Those trees, in particular, not only look impressive, but are also very versatile.  I could envisage them being used in a Fantasy Age of Sigmar setting, as well as in 40K.  I can also see some interesting objective battles taking place around that ruined bunker/ammo store. 
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #522 on: November 11, 2015, 02:23:27 PM »
Those trees look wonderful!  Actually all the terrain looks great, especially with the models along them.  Great painted armies in great painted boards are so cool. :)

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #523 on: November 11, 2015, 05:31:11 PM »
Great painted armies are nice, great painted armies between great painted terrain is even better!

you certainly fit the bill for that honor.

I really like how your spiders came out in the end. They look very menacing and fluid, and I just love the vibe they give off.

And fighting against slaanesh... always good :)
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #524 on: November 17, 2015, 01:50:30 PM »
@Irisado- Hey Irisado, the Exarch's aren't 2nd edition powerful, but they are very nice. Banshee Exarchs and Scorpion Exarchs are easily more deadly than say a Chaplain in close-combat especially considering they have 2 wounds now. While Avenger, Swooping Hawk and Spider Exarchs are really crack team leader's that increase the overall effectiveness and precision of their respective units. They are expensive points wise but very much worth it and great fun to play with.

Thanks for the comments on the terrain its very much appreciated. The trees really are a versatile kit. You can basically mix them into any type of board and use them in any type of games. The "guard shack" as we call that ruined bunker is definitely going to be a nice little narrative piece. Thanks again!

@Tangi- Thanks man! Its been fun working on terrain as opposed to models, it makes the games more fun too.

@Vonny- Thanks a lot Vonny. Still glad you are digging the Spiders. I just finished the squad yesterday!

@Everyone- So aside from the base, a little varnish on the gems and a little touch up around the transfers I finished the Crimson Hunter. I think he came out really nice. I'm gonna make a very nice base for him and then move on to perhaps painting up a Crimson Hunter Exarch which should be a fun painting challenge to make him really distinct.

I initially planned on doing chevrons on him, but with the wing caps being gold it would really break up the flow of the chevron. I though about going in the opposite direction yet it sort of reverses the motion of the model. I am going to do big sections of white on the Exarch, sort of like Ulthwe players paint up their Wave Serpents. So anyway hope you guys enjoy the latest photos.

Next up is another terrain project... Eldar terrain! I'm going to try and make an Eldar Voidshield Generator. Stay tuned for that as I unload the bits box. It may or may not work but I'm gonna give it a shot. Stay tuned!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #525 on: November 18, 2015, 01:52:32 AM »
This really looks smooth, as always. I agree that the simplicity of it is better than making it to busy. I'm learning this now myself.

P s. Check your messages
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #526 on: November 19, 2015, 07:32:26 PM »
That crimson hunter looks smooth as always. Keep up the sweet work!

Good to hear you've finished your warp spiders. I'm sure they'll serve you well. And I'll be sure to keep track of this thread as I am close to start building objective markers for my eldar (as the rest is getting close to done). Some eldar terrain is sure to inspire me!

I'm currently painting up some imperial terrain I got a while back. It is quite different indeed, working on such pieces.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #527 on: November 19, 2015, 09:12:44 PM »
Love the clean, polished finish. Almost worried about the glyphs you're thinking about taking away from it, but I'm sure you'll execute it flawlessly on the exarch.

Great battle report as well. Loved seeing a Slaanesh army on the board against Eldar. That must have been some battle to witness.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #528 on: November 26, 2015, 09:56:31 AM »
@Dread- Thanks as always buddy. Yes keeping things simple is definitely my philosophy. Easy and repeatable was a big part of how I got my army finished. Thanks again for the headsup on my messages!

@Vonny- Hey thanks Vonny. Glad you like the Hunter. I wanted to be a little more fancy on it, but I couldn't come up with something that would work with the gold trim on the wings as it'd block any kind of chevron action. As for Eldar objective markers I always have used the Asuryan statues from the Dire Avenger kit. I've got about 15 of them painted up. I also have a big lion statue from the White Lions of Charce Chariot kit which I use as my Relic. Also have a flaming chalice from the High Elves as well. There are a lot of nice options from the Fantasy line.

Yes painting Imperial terrain is a lot different then painting models. I was a bit over zealous in my approach and it took me forever to finish the pieces I have. I am getting more Imperial terrain soon and am going to approach it differently this time. Anyway thanks!

@Dog of War-  Thanks buddy. Glad you liked the bat-rep... I've got another one coming for you guys soon. I'm playing a battle against IG tomorrow. Can't wait!

@Everybody- So guys I realized the other day when I went to go paint that I've run out of models! Thats not a joke either... I went down stairs pulled out all my paints and what have you went to the hutch to pull out some new models and realized I've painted my entire collection! I was totally dumbfounded... Its been a long winding road but I've now got over 6000pts fully painted! So I posted some pics on the "My Eldar Army" thread on the main Eldar board, some of which I'll repost here.

So I guess I'll commemorate the even in a few brief words. Looking at everyhing now I'm very happy with the entire force. I went pretty slow, stuck to my plan and made a pretty versatile collection that represents the fluff of my army very well. In summation I couldn't be happier!

Now its time to move on to new forces and start slowly adding new units from the updated Corsair army list. The Firestorm, a Corsair Jetbike unit with heavy weapons and the new Wraithknight being at the top of the list.

However I'm going to also branch out into making terrain which is what todays post is really all about. So to wrap up this rather lengthy post here is my WIP Eldar Void Shield Generator. Perhaps not the best... but a good start. I already know what I'd change to give it a more polished look which I will do in the future. I have found though that its best to push forward and complete a project instead of just fiddling around in the brainstorming/dry fit stage because you won't know if its gonna work till there is paint on it.

Anywhere here are the pics! Remember its a WIP

Here are some highlights from the "My Eldar Army" post

Anyway to all commenters and viewers past and present thank you! Stay tuned the best is yet to come!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 09:59:07 AM by Cavalier »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #529 on: November 26, 2015, 11:09:49 AM »
Congratulations on painting an entire army.  That's something that I've never accomplished.  It's an excellent achievement, especially in view of the quality of the work, as well as the colour scheme.

I think that the Void Shield Generator looks good.  It's going to look a bit more battle worn than the freshly cleaned and maintained armour of the vehicles and troops.  It is situated on a planet after all, so it's not going to maintained to the standards of craftworld equipment ;).

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #530 on: November 27, 2015, 06:25:34 AM »
Congratulations! This calls for cake and drinks!

I ususally buildmy objective markers on the old flat epic 60mm bases or the 60mm bases for flyers. So an asuryan statue from the Dire Avengers kit might loo ka bit small and lost on that...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:28:46 AM by vonny »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #531 on: November 28, 2015, 09:22:34 AM »
@Irisado- Thanks so much Irisado, coming from one of the ultimate Eldar fans and tacticians I really appreciate it. Yes I agree with you on the Void Shield generator it needs a lot of weathering and texturing. Its gonna be tricky because its outside of what I'm used to doing but its something I really want to learn. Scratch building Eldar terrain is the ultimate 40k street cred! lol  ;D

@Vonny- Heheheh thanks Vonny. I'm very happy. Yes you are right about putting them on 60mm bases... but 60mm bases for normal game objectives is beyond huge! BTW in the new city fight game whole buildings count as in-game objectives which would make your big objectives really cool. Check those rules out if you can they were printed in White Dwarf along with the tactical cards.

@Everybody- Hey everyone so I managed to get in a game yesterday! I thought I was playing against an Imperial Guard player named Mike, but I miss understood and it was a 3-way battle with his fiance who plays Slaanesh daemons featured in my last battle-report! So this threw me for a loop but it made for a great fun game.

Battle Report
Eldar Corsairs Vs.Imperial Guard Vs. Daemons of Slaanesh and Chaos Space Marines

Set-Up

So it was 1850pts, the mission was Crusade with 6 objectives. Imperial Guard go 1st, Daemons 2nd, and myself 3rd. The Slaanesh player and I were set-up right across from each other in a tiny little deployment zone while the IG player was set up on the short board edge which was a very nice advantage. We weren't too worried about having a perfectly balanced set-up and in the end it made for a more interesting game. Important Note- Mike is just getting back into the game after a long break since 4th edition and Ashleigh is altogether new to the game. I did ask my opponent if he wanted me to leave the Wraithknight at home, but he said he wanted to take it on so I included it in the list. However the flow of the game mitigated my greater experience in 7th ed game as you'll soon see.

Alright so here are the lists!

Eldar Corsairs

Autarch: Firesabre, Banshee Mask
Archon: Shadowfield, Webway Portal, Blaster, Power Sword
Wraithblades x5- Axes
    Wave Serpent- Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon
Fire Dragons x5
Scorpions x8- Exarch, Claw
Warriors x5
Jetbikes x3- Scatter Lasers
Jetbikes x3- Scatter Lasers
Nightwing
Hornets x2- Pulse Lasers
Warp Spiders x8- Exarch Power Blades
Wraithknight- Scatter Laser

Imperial Guard

Company Command Squad- Plasma Pistol, Melta Gun, Plasma Gun, Master of Ordenance
Veteran Squad- Plasma Pistol, Flamer, Flamer, Plasma Gun, Missile Launcher Team
Veteran Squad- Plasma Pistol, Plasma Gun, Melta Gun, Missile Launcher Team
Veteran Squad- Plasma Pistol, Plasma Gun, Lascannon Team
Storm Troopers- Melta, Plasma Pistol
Storm Troopers- Melta, Plasma Pistol
Leman Russ- Punisher
Leman Russ- Standard
Basilisk
Legion of the Damned- Lascannon, Plasma Gun, Powerfist

Daemons of Slaanesh with Chaos Space Marine Allies

Daemon Prince- Wings, Artifacts, Boon of Mutation
Daemon Prince- Artifacts, Boon of Mutation
Chaos Space Marine Lord- Artifact, Terminator Armor, Mark of Slaanesh
Seekers of Slaanesh- Heartseeker, Icon of Excess, Insturment of Chaos
Daemonettes- Aluress, Icon of Excess
Chaos Space Marines x10- Plasma Gun, Aspiring Champion
Cultists x10- Autoguns
Raptors x5- Aspiring Champion, Power Fist
Hellbrute- Multi-melta, Lascannon
Noise Marines- Blaster Master, Regular Sonic Weapons

Turn 1

Imperial Guard- So the IG player was very aggressive. He moved out his tanks towards both myself and the Slaanesh player, while his troops all used "Forward for the Emperor" to move and shoot. Snap-shots actually wounded the Wraithknight twice, while the Basilisk removed a bunch of Chaos Space Marines. The IG were making an all out push with about 30+ guys right for the center of the board to grab those objectives. This was gonna be a toughy!

Slaanesh Daemons- So the Daemons leaped out immediately towards my Corsairs! There was no bones about it they were gunning for me as I was the closest target and running forward towards the Punisher and Leman Russ with the Basilisk in support was no option at all. The Seekers and Daemonettes came out with great run moves. Turn 2 Assault was all but guaranteed. Some pot-shots from the Hellbrute and the Blaster Master racked up a hull-point on the Punisher, which was good because with most of my stuff in reserves I needed a little pressure put on those tanks if I was going to do well this game. Meanwhile the gliding Daemon Prince flew right up into my face... the filthy beast. I was under a lot of pressure and just due to deployment I knew I was going to be getting the worst of the enemy's attention. This really was going to be a hard fought battle.

Eldar Corsairs- So with the Basilisk, Master of Ordanance and Leman Russ all able to pound  my tiny little 18x12 corner of the board I held a lot in reserves. The Hornets, Scorpions, Jetbikes, Fire Dragons, Archon and Nightwing were all held back. While my Spiders, Wraithguard+Autarch in a Serpent, Dark Eldar Warriors and Wraithknight were holding down the fort. So to begin with I moved my Wraithknight forward right into the middle of the board.  needed to get him some cover but also get close to pounce on something in combat in the later turns. Meanwhile, wwith those Daemons coming in hot and the IG sure to turn their big guns on me again, I knew I had to hold my deployment zone or all my reserves (specifically my bikes) would be walking into a Slaanesh death-trap. So I deployed my Autarch and Wraithblades to hold the line till reinforcements arrived.

The Wave Serpent shot-up the Raptors and killed 3 of them, while the Warp Spiders launched boldly forward toward the Daemon Prince when the incredible happened! Snap-shooting at the gliding MC's they scored 3 hits, and since the Daemon had Mark of Slaanesh and Spiders wound against initiative, I needed a 6 to wound.... which I got! That meant no armor save and instant death action! Rolled up the dice... and FAILED! The Spiders aced the Daemon Prince earning them instant legendary status. What aces, it was First Blood and Warlord all on the 1st turn. The Spiders instantly rewarded me, relieving a lot of pressure on my part. Yet still those Seekers and Daemonettes were coming hot, and with some lucky rending rolls (and all those attacks) my Wraithblades were going to be put to the test.

Turn 2

Imperial Guard- So the IG rolled reserves and everything came in! Legion of the Damned and 2 units of Storm Troopers all well equipped to hurt my Wraithknight quite badly. However scatters pushed them well out of double-tap range which was very good indeed.

The Leman Russ and the Master of Ordnance all unloaded on the Wraithknight but either missed or he passed his Feel No Pain. The Legion of the Damned succeeded where they failed however and did manage to wound the WK with a relentless Lascannon shot. Meanwhile the Basilisk tried to annihilate my Spiders but the shot scattered off the board. Meanwhile he pushed forward with all his other units get very close to the center of the board and closer to having all his plasma and melta in range of the Wraithknight. Definitely not a good turn, which would allow me to re-organize my lines to confront the advancing IG.

Daemons of Slaanesh- The Seekers of Slaanesh and remaining Raptors come hurtling into my bold stand of Wraithblades and my Corsair Prince! The Aspiring Champion challenged my Corsair Prince (which he has to do due to Champions of Chaos) and my Prince easily puts the cretin down with his Firesabre. Meanwhile the Seekers get a ton of hits but only 2 rending wounds on my Wraithblades... one of which I pass the other I fail. The Wraithblades with their low number of attacks, and the high WS of the Seekers sees them fail to do any damage... yet the line holds. Perfunctory fire from the rest of the army does nothing and we roll on to Eldar Corsairs turn 2.

Eldar Corsairs- So some big reserve rolls are made... and failed! The Nightwing, Fire Dragons+Archon, and a unit of Jetbikes all fail to come in! Only a single unit of bikes, the Scorpions and Hornets come in. Which is just enough to prevent me from losing my momentum. The Hornets outflank right behind the Basilisk and destroy it easily, but stranding them in a total kill zone with the both Russ' and 2 Veteran Squads with melta and plasma all within range. A necessary sacrifice though because one lucky blast could remove my Warriors (important objective grabbers) Spiders which were out of cover, and newly arrived Jetbikes who are all imporant for pushing back the huge tide of Imperial Guardsmen.

Meanwhile the Jetbikes immediatley make their presence felt by shooting up the advancing Daemonettes who getting perilously close to my lines. If the Seekers and Daemonettes get into my lines I could completley lose any semblance of board control. I manage to kill 4 of them which is less than I wanted... but enough to make the charge distance very challenging. The Spiders move up to pitch-in eliminating the deepstruck Storm Troopers and then thrusting back into cover.

the later turns but carefully avoiding the ignore cover, ap3 guns of the Legion of the Damned and mass Las-Gun fire of the approaching Veterans. The Scorpions also move out to jump into the fight and coming to the aid of their Corsair Prince. In the combat phase I lose another Wraithblade but take a Seeker down in exchange. I challenge the Heart-Seeker for the sake of glory and we trade wounds... but nothing else. A less than stellar turn but the removal of Basilisk removed a lot of pressure... on to IG turn 3.

Turn 3

Imperial Guard- So the Guard come rushing forward still, getting their all important special weapons in range of the Wraithknight, preparing to swamp the cluster of 3 objectives near the middle of the board with a press of bodies. Poor difficult terrain sees them stumble only handful of inches forward while shooting manages to rack up another wound on the Wraithknight however the rest of the armies shooting remains cold as a lot of misses, and passed saves from improved cover  due to "Conqueror of Cities" warlord trait giving my whole army +1 cover in ruins. A frustrating turn for IG to be sure. Most of their big guns are intact, their big squads of Veterans are all but untouched yet they are out of position as my entire army is pinned back dealing with the Daemons... while the Daemons themselves hardly pose a threat as they are even further away from his troops. Its all about taking out the Eldar but as I said I'm pinned back way in my own corner and his tanks cannot see my infantry and the Wraithknight while half-dead is well protected in cover. Yet nonetheless the IG are in a good position to grab those objectives, all they have to do is take down the Wraithknight who has only 3 wounds remaining and they'll have but a few infantry squads standing between them and victory.

Daemons of Slaanesh- Another very quick turn. The Seekers kill another Wraithblade while the Heartseeker and the Corsair Prince fail to wound each other. Meanwhile the Daemonettes finally make it into combat... with my Warp Spiders! Oh crap! They made an incredibley long charge but manage to make it! They kill 4 of them in combat, while I kill 2 in return with my Exarch. The Spiders then hit and run out luckily... but all of a sudden I'm really needing those reserves and the Scorpions need to to pitch in. I've only got 2 Wraithblades left.

Eldar Corsairs Alright so all my reserves come in. One squad of bikes unloads on the Daemonettes eliminating them all! Then my other bike unit unloads on the Veterans on my right flank and kills 6 of them, a VERY heavy blow. The Wraithknight then comes crashing out of the ruin blows up the Leman Russ Punisher, and split fires into the Legion of the Damned killing 2. The Fire Dragons and Archon deepstrike behind remaining Leman Russ and easily destroy it (2 are lost in the explosion however). The Warp Spiders move into the center ruin claiming the objective therein. Then comes the killing blow... the Striking Scorpions crash into the Seekers of Slaanesh killing them all! My Corsair Prince finally slays the Heart Seeker earning him further glory!

The Wraithknight then comes hurtling into the Legion of the Damned and crushes them in combat. What a glorious turn... my army finally synergized and everything worked... while the game went 5 turns this was essentially the end of the game. There was no recovering from that hammer blow of a turn 3... so here's the wrap-up.

The Wrap-Up

So wow what a game... it was a true marathon as 3 player games tend to be. Due to just the flow of the game the Eldar were the focus of both armies... so it felt like my 1850 list was going up against 3700pts of Daemons and IG as only perfunctory fire was being exchange between the two of them (as they were totally out of range of each other). Yet again the Wraithblades and Scorpions proved their great worth holding back the Slaanesh daemons in what was a very memorable combat. In the remaining two turns the IG player kept going for it, reducing the Wraithknight to a single wound and desperatley trying to remove the remaining 4 Warp Spiders to prevent me from holding the central objective. From Turn 3 onward I was flicker jumping all over the place... making sure to remind my opponents that they could do so. It was a very fun game the highlight certainly being the show down with the Daemons of Slaanesh.

So in the evolving battle-record of my army my Corsair Prince has truly earned his stripes, killing Chaos Champions, dueling Daemon Princes, killing Slaaneshi champions in personal challenges all over the place. All in all I couldn't be happier. Anway guys thanks for tuning in and I hope you enjoyed the bat-rep. Stay tuned there's always more to come!

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #532 on: November 28, 2015, 11:09:57 AM »
There have always been far better tacticians than me out there.  That's especially true these days though, as it's hard to keep up my knowledge of the strategic side of the game when I'm not playing.

Thanks for the battle report.  You were very lucky to take out the Daemon Prince.  That was on a par with Tarrin's exploits of being jammy :D.  It was great to see those three armies fighting.  The pictures are great, and it looks like it was a very enjoyable game.  Well played :).

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #533 on: December 2, 2015, 05:48:09 AM »
Wow you truly managed to get some work done there! Managing to get yourself out of that sticky situation is an amazing feat!
I like the report, it tells a tale of desperate moves and focused gameplay. That the IG player was still trying to remove the threats and cap objectives in the middle of the board until the end, even with so much lost already, speaks volumes. I hope they (and you) had as much fun as it sounds.

I also really like the pictures of both their armies. The bright colors just seem to work on the slaanesh army (both the daemons and the marines) and the imperial guard seem to hold their own in the painting department too. Perhaps next time you can encourage them to start a blog on here as well?

As for the huge objectives for 60mm bases - it allows me to craft something interesting. I'll see if I can get some pictures of various objectives next time.
Also, I'll be on the lookout for those renewed city fighting rules. That seems very interesting!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #534 on: December 3, 2015, 02:36:15 PM »
@Irisado- Don't sell yourself short Irisado, when I was trying to get back into the game back in late 4th edition I really learned a lot on these forums from you. Glad you liked the bat-rep, to be honest Daemon armies are so loaded with special rules, daemonic instability, artifacts, upgrades and what-not I had no idea what the Daemon Prince was even capable of, but when I saw him I knew he needed to go. With the Spiders being a new unit I was thrilled that they got the kill though I was completley ready to charge with my Corsair Prince if the chance presented itself. I really want him to get a Daemon Prince on his kill tally. Anyway thanks!

@Vonny- Thanks Vonny. Yes it was a very fun game, and playing outside normal mission parameters is a lot of fun and really shakes things up. Both armies did look very nice, and it was cool to see how my own army clashed with the look of the other two.

As for the 60mm bases, yes I do think it will make for far more interesting objectives. You could even make little dioramas or something of that nature... can't wait to see what you've cooked up.

@Everyone- So with my army finished I'm going back and adding details to a number of units. I want to have all my vehicles properly marked with squadron numbers, host detachment symbols and kill markers where appropriate.

First up is my Warp Hunter... he's been sitting on the shelf after the nerfing he got in IA:Apocalypse. Running him out of IA:11 1st edition he was a beast.. hence the kill markings. So it was time to give him his squadron markings and what have you.

2nd up are my Hornets. They've all received their squadron markings, and some detailing on the wings. This one in particular is the squadron leader. While his pilot badge is easy for me to recognize when I'm looking for the squad leader, I'm going to something a bit more so that people not familiar with the unit will recognize him as such on the tabletop.

Anyway guys thats all I got for now... stay tuned there is more on the way!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #535 on: December 6, 2015, 04:46:45 PM »
very neat straight lines. I Keep wondering how you manage that.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #536 on: December 6, 2015, 05:03:13 PM »
They look amazing!  How did you get that glow effect for the canopies?  I'm trying to do something similar for my Valkyries, only in red.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #537 on: December 8, 2015, 06:55:17 AM »
@Vonny- Hey Vonny glad you like em. I used Testors masking tape... testors is a model making company in the US who make a lot of great stuff including the gold primer I use. Its about $5 US.

I then use tin foil and tape to mask off the rest of the vehicle. The tin foil is certainly easier to use then taping the whole model.

@Tangi- Hey bud, thanks glad you like them! The canopy thing is super easy, get some Citadel A'rd Coat and mix it with some red ink. Just make sure its NOT red wash, its gotta be ink or it'll look cloudy. I use P3 Green Ink for mine since my super old GW green ink dried up. I really love the P3 stuff its really nice.

@Everybody- Gotta game coming up this saturday... playing against my good buddy Chris' Soul Drinkers which have been heavily featured on this project log. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play battle-company again... and my phone has NO music or photos on it for full bat-rep goodness. Anyway stay tuned guys!

EDIT:

Also SUPER interesting input on the Storm Guardian Warhost from Reece Robbins from FLG. Tune at around time index: 53:13. Warning the guys do swear a lot.

Signals From the Frontline Episode #394 Tactics talk with Geoff! - YouTube
« Last Edit: December 8, 2015, 01:26:46 PM by Cavalier »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #538 on: December 13, 2015, 01:21:21 PM »
IT BEGINS..........

The new Corsair codex has landed and I couldn't be more thrilled. Unparalleled customization awaits as the Corsairs may be the most flexible and fast army in the game right now. The new Corsair rules allow me to dispense with many of Craftworld stand-ins such as Wraithguard and the unit to fill their mighty shoed is now under construction and that unit is the Balestrike Band!

I plan on equipping at least 5 of them with Dark Lances with a few lasblaster dudeds in there for ablative. Poor, poor Scourges they've been totally trumpted by their Corsair counter-parts though I suspect FW crafted a lot of these units as potential count-as options for the Dark Kin to bring their army closer to the standard set by the newer 7th ed. codices. Anyway guys stay-tuned as the fun has just begun!

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #539 on: December 13, 2015, 06:53:59 PM »
Awesome dude, love the hornets with their chevron update, really makes them pop!

Was trying to see where the pilot markings are and if there are any kill markings you add over the years? Love the detail on the warp hunter -- that guy is going to be doing serious work for you now with IA11.5 out!

Right now I'm thinking about designing some kind of croneworld kill marking to indicate significant achievements, like every warlord my wraithknight has killed etc.

Next up, looking forward to seeing this Balestrike band ready to go! If you are going to drop them in close I would stick with a brace of pistols for them, otherwise lasblaster, yeah. Keen to see how you do some models with brace of pistols -- has to be my favourite basic wargear option in the game, personally, haha.

Also, any further updates with teh VSG?
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.