News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ultramarine Movie thread - movie delayed  (Read 36559 times)

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
Ultramarine Movie thread - movie delayed
« on: March 9, 2010, 02:35:32 PM »
Looks like the Ultramarine Movie got its own youtube channel. Have a look at the cast.

Ultramarines movie - Vox casting

Found by somnicide
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:13:39 PM by tryanotherone - rumour board raider »
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Voice Cast for Ultramarine announced
« Reply #1 on: March 9, 2010, 02:43:51 PM »
Got the newsletter for Ultramarine and they actually have some well known actors in it:

http://ultramarinesthemovieblog.com/blog/2010-03-09/vox-casting
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The Ecclesiarch

• Be Pure, Be Vigiliant, Obey!
  • Armies: Forces of the Imperium, Da Boyz, CHAOS.
Ultramarines movie cast confirmed.
« Reply #2 on: March 9, 2010, 08:28:45 PM »
Hey people :) i dont know if any of you are getting the Ultramarine movie updates via email but i just got one listing the cast of actors who are going to be doing the voices (its animated just incase you didnt know and written by Dan Abnet).
Here is the address for the site hosting the movie details-  http://ultramarinesthemovie.com/
Likely you wont know most of the voice actors if your not native to the U.K
But the actor John Hurt is going to be doing the voice for one of the main characters which makes it seem very promising.
Here is some more info-

Voice Actors For ULTRAMARINES Movie Announced!
We’re very pleased to announce that Terence Stamp, Sean Pertwee and John Hurt head the cast of actors lending their voices – and their facial expressions - to the Ultramarines movie.

Other key parts are to be played by Steven Waddington, Donald Sumpter and Johnny Harris, with Ben Bishop, Christopher Finney and Gary Martin appearing in supporting roles.

The three lead actors shared their thoughts on working on Ultramarines...

Multi award-winning and Oscar-nominated Terence Stamp confesses that a boyhood love of the science fiction classics attracted him to his role. “Warhammer 40,000 is an incredibly strange world, yet one with rules,” he says. “I felt very comfortable with Ultramarines - in fact, it’s really the culmination of a lot of things I’ve been in.” Stamp’s previous credits include Superman, Superman II, Valkyrie and the Halo 3 video game.

Sean Pertwee, acclaimed for his role in the action horror movie Dog Soldiers, says, “Before Ultramarines, I had no idea about the depth of Warhammer 40,000. I used to be into graphic art, so I find the concepts and architecture and character designs quite extraordinary. This film really is being made for the fans.” Pertwee’s other credits include Event Horizon, Mutant Chronicles and Equilibrium, as well as the video games Warhammer 40,000: Fire Warrior and Killzone 2.

John Hurt, winner of countless international awards and Oscar-nominated for his performances in The Elephant Man and Midnight Express, has a special feature role in Ultramarines. He says, “I know quite a lot about Warhammer 40,000 because my elder son was into it. I used to take him down to the store in London’s Oxford Street so he could see it in action. It’s a very different world which really teases the imagination.” Hurt’s numerous other film roles include Alien, Hellboy and Hellboy II and Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Vanessa Chapman, managing director of the production company, Codex Pictures, is delighted to have attracted such a prestigious cast to Ultramarines. “Our goal has been to give the characters distinctive and authoritative voices, fitting to these superhuman men of war,” she says. “Coupled with the authentic and engaging facial capture provided by Image Metrics, these outstanding actors are going to do so much to bring the Warhammer 40,000 universe powerfully to life on screen.”
+++ Ecclesiastical Proverbs +++
Blasphemy cries out for purgation from the faithful.
Blessed are the war makers.
By Bolter and Flamer we purify the faithless.
Hate sanctifies faith.
Anger and Hatred are mankind's highest virtues.
Let he who would be without sin cast the first grenade.
To be bigoted is human, to be unrepentant of thy bigotry is divine.
Tolerance is ignorance.
+++ Scribe Jack Hanson, Terra +++

Offline bluey

• break, cut, resize, glue, prime, paint: tadaaah
    • Display Case
Re: Ultramarine Movie thread (Voice Cast for Ultramarine announced)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 05:30:42 AM »
@The Ecclesiarch: i am not a native of UK but i know those actors, well, 2 of them anyway; i have seen a bunch of movies in which they played and usually not bad moovies at all
6th edition performance:
W/L/D
Tau - 2/1/1

Lookit: my War40K blog: My Display Case | Just a boy with his toy soldiers

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 05:40:34 AM »
I really hope they can pull it off this time. GW has managed to sink quite a few projects so far, movies and computergames alike, but one may still dream.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 06:22:22 AM »
The thing that gives me hope here is that this is a very heavyweight cast.
I'm seriously impressed, and it shows that the producers have a level of commitment hitherto unseen in these types of projects.

Not holding my breath, but this could actually be good.

Dizzy

Offline Ends_Mouth

• By using the steaming piles of their own dead...
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 10:15:41 AM »
Been keen since day one about this. Still upset about Bloodquest....

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
Re: Ultramarine Movie thread - new concept art
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 03:02:45 PM »
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 03:56:04 PM »
New concept art from the movie:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ultramarinesthemovie/

found by Setite

Interesting.

Two specifics I'd like to point out:

First, the Standard Bolter Round is shown as having a shell casing.  I thought they weren't supposed to have them.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ultramarinesthemovie/4327705706/#

Second, why the small chainguard on the tip of the Chainsword?  If you want the thing to be able to cut both ways, why put a small guard near the tip?  I don't think such a guard is likely to help the wielder avoid cutting himself, so who is that guard supposed to protect?  I guess it just looks cool.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ultramarinesthemovie/4387206024/#

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline Baron de Pencier

• FER SIYANTZ 'AN TEKNOLOGEE!
    • My other writings, original and otherwise.
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 06:07:25 PM »

First, the Standard Bolter Round is shown as having a shell casing.  I thought they weren't supposed to have them.

Agreed, Bolters are specifically stated to be caseless. That being said, it could be artistic license; it would look way, way cooler to have the bolters be ejecting curtains of spent casings the size of a man's fist. It's an irksome thing, but it might just be the concept artist. It may not even make it as a design into the movie.

That being said, I'm tentatively awaiting this. John Hurt (and the rest of the main cast, for that matter) is amazing, but this has a chance of being an epically bad failure. We'll see, I guess.
I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success.
-Nikola Tesla

Offline Only Slightly Crazy

• Those Damm commies! Impurifing our bodily fluids!
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 06:35:03 PM »
A few nice facts can be learned.
It had pictures of Strike cruisers, and thunder hawks, as well as interior pics. There are pics of an Apothecarion Chirugery. The pictures of the planet show anciet structures and wastlands with debris, as well as revealing the planets name is Mithron, and has a picture of Macragge.
I have my suspicions already.
Also, the Strike Cruiser is in the wrong colors, and is to short. Very Much looking forward to the movie!

DISCLAMER! Any thing offensive can be considered a joke in bad taste. Thank you!

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 11:14:52 PM »

Agreed, Bolters are specifically stated to be caseless. That being said, it could be artistic license; it would look way, way cooler to have the bolters be ejecting curtains of spent casings the size of a man's fist. It's an irksome thing, but it might just be the concept artist. It may not even make it as a design into the movie.

That being said, I'm tentatively awaiting this. John Hurt (and the rest of the main cast, for that matter) is amazing, but this has a chance of being an epically bad failure. We'll see, I guess.

they are indeed supposed to be caseless, but every single piece of art work ever created that has a marine firing a bolter has... spent cases being ejected.  why?  Cause it looks badassed thats why!
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Hive Fleet Dread Q'thulu

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 11:02:52 PM »

Second, why the small chainguard on the tip of the Chainsword?  If you want the thing to be able to cut both ways, why put a small guard near the tip?  I don't think such a guard is likely to help the wielder avoid cutting himself, so who is that guard supposed to protect?  I guess it just looks cool.
NewHeretic

i wasn't aware that bolter rounds were "caseless" ammunition
and why do they have a chain sword with two cutting edges as it wouldn't cut right on the back side as the chain is going a different different direction as the front

Offline Baron de Pencier

• FER SIYANTZ 'AN TEKNOLOGEE!
    • My other writings, original and otherwise.
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 11:23:53 PM »

i wasn't aware that bolter rounds were "caseless" ammunition

I've been looking for sources that directly state that bolters are caseless, but given that they are rocket-propelled, a case is completely unnecessary. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrojet for more info about rocket-powered guns.

and why do they have a chain sword with two cutting edges as it wouldn't cut right on the back side as the chain is going a different different direction as the front

It wouldn't be as effective a cutting blade, but if both sides of the teeth were sharpened it could still function. Also, it looks cooler with two cutting edges, so why not?
I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success.
-Nikola Tesla

Offline augustmanifesto

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 01:32:29 AM »
i could have sworn that bolters did have casings but as a result of the rocket propulsion on the actual round the bolter casing are just much smaller than they would actually be. could be wrong, awaiting admonitions.
join 40k0 on facebook!

Biff Puzzled his brains. He thunk fast. The Emp was the Emp, natch. Techs worshiped the Emp. Even Scum swore by the Emp...The Emp was megabossgod. Yet who was the Emp? Where was the Emp?
Everwhere. Nowhere
Somewhere.
Not Here...
So maybe nowhere near.
Maybe the Emp was further away than Biff could imagine. And even more mega.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 12:20:29 PM »
i think it is primarily going off older fluff (3rd ed or older).  I remember in the 3rd ed BBB (big black book for the noobs that don't know ;) ) they actually had a section that described the bolt rounds and it did say they were caseless.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 02:19:19 PM »

Firstly what direction do the teeth travel? Generally by the looks of the plastic chainsword the teeth would spin thumb to fingers. The amount of gore rendered on the attacker in this instance would be pretty impressive. But it would also be unwanted as the spray would reduce your footing, and clog up your armour with blood.

I personally believe the blade spins fingers to thumb. Making and wounding done cause a huge plume of blood away from the attacker. Blinding and disorientating the other foes in the area, as well as keeping the attackers armour and footing clear. (it also looks cooler).

with that in mind.

The guard on the tip is for a very specific reason. After a cut/slash the guard is there to remove the teeth from the target, Say for instance you hit a nice fleshy arm with armour and webbing on it, there is a chance the teeth of the blade will get snagged. Without the guard this snagging would force the blade out of the wielders hands and the sword would fly away. It would also help your allies who are by your side have less spray coming there way.

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 02:43:49 PM »
That is a very good explanation, nesbit_bub, if you ignore the fact that all of the models do show the teeth spinning thumb to fingers. :)  However, the particular picture in question does show the teeth neutrally positioned, so the teeth could be assumed to move in whichever direction you want them to. :)

NewHeretic
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 02:47:23 PM by NewHeretic »
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline Hive Fleet Dread Q'thulu

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »

Firstly what direction do the teeth travel? Generally by the looks of the plastic chainsword the teeth would spin thumb to fingers. The amount of gore rendered on the attacker in this instance would be pretty impressive. But it would also be unwanted as the spray would reduce your footing, and clog up your armour with blood.

I personally believe the blade spins fingers to thumb. Making and wounding done cause a huge plume of blood away from the attacker. Blinding and disorientating the other foes in the area, as well as keeping the attackers armour and footing clear. (it also looks cooler).

though being soaked with blood isn't going to weaken a space marines footing.
also the chainswords  could work like a hedge trimmer only with no set postion blades all the sets of teeth move up and down this would also make the cutting surface on the back plausible and would explain the gaurd as it is covering a gap in the cutting surface.

Offline Boss_Bannednutz

• FLAMER: I flame therefore I am banned.
  • "Quantity haz a qwality all'ts own"-Warboss Stalin
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 04:04:03 AM »
So, what, are they supposed to be defending Macragge from Nids? What's the scenario?
"Don't Post Dat!  Spam kills!"

If you traveled at the speed of light, there would be no darkness, and thus no need to turn your headlights on in the first place.  I swear, were you asleep in Physics Class?