News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: less units with more troops or more units with less troops?  (Read 472 times)

Offline nullnvoid

i was wondering what would be the best strategy:

to have 2 troop units of 10 initiates or 3 units with 6 to 7 troops in each unit.

i could see having a couple of units with as much guys as you can fit because they will "last longer". but, having 3 units with less guys, you can attack from different angles and your opponent will have one more target to worry about.

i could be totally wrong on all this, i was just trying to figure out what people here prefer.

thanks

Offline Raven

Re: less units with more troops or more units with less troops?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 11:56:12 AM »
Units of 7 or 8 would work well. big enough to have clout, without being too big.

Remeber that its likely that you'll be bound to multiples of 5 once the new SM codex comes out though. It seems to be the big theme.

Offline EngeKomkommer

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 02:13:58 PM »
Depends how likely they're going to run away.
On the whole, it might be better to put your eggs in as many baskets as you can. Things like orks however, the bigger, the better.

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 12:21:20 PM »
In the current SM Codex, it is generally preferable to use 8-10 man squads for assault roles and 5-6 man squads for shooty roles.  Best would be a 10-man assault-oriented squad or a 6-man Las/Plasma shooty squad.

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.