News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: base size for objectives  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
  • Armies: Chaos Space Marines
base size for objectives
« on: May 11, 2017, 05:40:53 PM »
Are there any rules for what size base objective markers must be put on. I am about to start making some custom ones and some of my ideas range from small base size to dreadnought. So before I started building anything I thought I would check.

Cheers
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: base size for objectives
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 05:47:29 PM »
There is no standard beyond what is requested at tournaments.  I have seen everything from small dice to poker chips.  As long as you are consistent so there is no distinct advantage between going for one objective over another, I think you're good.

A guideline I go with comes from tournaments, in which case they recommend either 25mm bases (standard infantry) or 40mm bases (Terminator size).  I have a set of poker chips that are numbered to work with certain scenarios and maelstrom missions.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 06:06:14 PM »
As long as they are the same size, and not too large, a hockey puck is probably the biggest I would accept. Still I'd recommend smaller.
I have used both pokerchips and worn out fuses and got no complains, but some chuckles about the fuses though. :)
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 08:13:02 AM »
My normal ones are the small bases 25mm (I think thats the size) but for the various Relic objectives, I go 40mm.

To me its like the GML said, its all about consistency.

I'd go with whatever you think looks best and model them all up on the same size bases
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 09:39:27 AM »
We have, on occasion, designated terrain features--buildings, hills, etc.--as objectives. They are huge, granted, but that just makes them easier to contest. It's also fairly fluffy that you'd be fighting over something like a building rather than some random 2m wide patch of ground.

"No, soldier--you need to secure this specific landing on the stairway. The rest of the building? Worthless."

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 01:47:39 PM »
@Wydrr- Love using terrain pieces as objectives. I really hope that kind of idea makes it into the new core missions. They used that system in the new Cities of Death which I really liked. I've played a number of games using buildings as objectives and it made for super cinematic experience. Love it.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/