News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Fa'alnor (Iyandenish force) v. Deathwing and Mech IG  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
Fa'alnor (Iyandenish force) v. Deathwing and Mech IG
« on: April 9, 2008, 09:56:42 AM »
I have two new batreps from my games yesterday.  The point level was 1850 and my opponents were Deathwing and Mech IG.  I managed a win against the Deathwing and a narrow draw against the Mech IG.  I'll add in some diagrams and the Mech IG game when I get a chance.

My list:

Fa’alorath

10x Wraithguard; Spiritseer, Conceal
3x Jetbikes; 1x Shuriken Cannon

5x Harliquins; SS, DJ, TM, Power Weapon, 5 kisses
5x Firedragons; Exarch, DBFlamer, Crack Shot

3x Shining Spears; Exarch, 1x Shuriken Cannon, Withdraw

2x Walkers; 4x EMLs
1x Wraithlord; EML, Scatterlaser
1x Falcon; 2x Shuriken Cannons, SS, HF, VE, SE

His List, Deathwing: (Not Sure of Force Org)

HQ had lightning claws, don’t know what else.
There was an apothecary
2x Vindicators
5 or 6 squads of 5x termies; three had assault cannons, two had missile launchers, each had two lightning claw dudes

The Board:

Most of the terrain is level 3 area terrain in the form of ruins.  The small brownish thing in the middle provided a 5+ cover save, but didn't block line of sight.  The two other features were bunkers.

Deployment:

I deploy first.  My lord (big yellow circle), walkers (big green circles) and avatar (big orange circle) deploy in the ruins on the left side.  The falcon (big green oval) was on the right, but redeployes to the left.  The dragons are in the falcon.  The guard (small yellow circles) are next to the left ruins with Eldrad (small green circle) attached and the harlies (small orange circles) to their right.  The bikes (green ovals) and spears (yellow ovals) are on the right hiding behind ruins.  He deployed his squads in a fairly dense group in the ruins in the upper left part of the board.  The vindicators were behind those ruins.  It looked more or less like this.

Turn 1:

He wins the roll-off, but lets me go first.  I fortune the guard and avatar.  Everything moves forward.  I attempt to give my walkers just over 6” of terrain to see through so they can move for a shot at the right time.  The falcon moves around the corner and takes a shot on one vindicator shaking it.  On the other flank, the bikes and spears turbo forward and hide behind terrain.

Shooting kills off a couple termies and shakes the vindicator as mentioned.  I decided to measure for the walkers in case they could see out; I didn’t want to not shoot when they could be shot.  Ooops, they can see to shoot and be shot.

No assaults.

He advances forward.  The vindicators move from behind their ruins.

Shooting kills three wraithguard and wounds the avatar, lord and shakes a walker and takes an EML from it.

No assaults.

Turn 2:

Fortune for the avatar and guard again.  Falcon moves forward and drops off the dragons.  Walkers stay put.  Lord, Avatar and guard advance.  I attempt to keep right at 12” range from termies to pick off the lead one or two with shooting and stay out of assault range.  He’ll need a good difficult terrain check to assault me.  Harlies advance as well.   They are around 14”-16” from the termies.  Bikes and Spears hover over terrain to take some pot shots and are in position to hide behind the terrain with the assault move.

Dragons destroy a vindicator and the explosion kills a dragon.  Walker or falcon shakes the other vindicator.  2-3 termies dies to shooting.

No assaults but the bikes and spears hide.

My opponent sees an assault coming and bunches two squads on the right flank (from my perspective) to ensure I can’t stop part of the squad from getting its attacks.   The rest of the force cautiously advances.

He ignores the harlies not wanting to risk not seeing them.  I think this may have been a bit of a mistake.  They were roughly in range where he had better than 50/50 chance of seeing them with 2 or 3 squads.  Instead he shoots at the walkers, avatar and guard.  I am down to 5 guard at this point.  The walkers stand up well to shooting; one is stunned.  He doesn’t shoot at the falcon, again possible a mistake.  He didn’t take one shot at it the entire game so I got to shoot with it every turn.  He probably should have at least attempted to shake it.  At this point one walker is stunned and has lost a missile, the lord has one wound, the avatar has one wound, and five wraithguard are dead.

No assaults.

Turn 3:

Fortune for the Avatar and guard.  I plan to take out the two squads on the right flank if possible.  The harlies should be able to charge either and the spears should be able to charge the rightmost squad.  I move the guard to concentrate fire on one of the squads and to be out of assault range of the center squads.  The Avatar holds his position as do the walkers and lord.  The dragons hop in the falcon which moves for a rear armor volley on a vindicator.  The bikes and spears move toward the right termie squad and the harlies move toward that squad and the one next to it.

Shooting does something to the vindicator, don’t remember what, but it can’t shoot.  Walkers are ineffective with shooting.  I kill one termie with wraithguard shooting.  Avatar and lord fail to kill anything.  Harlies fleet and have easy assaults on either possible target squad.

The spears are slightly out of charge range.  (This made me think of something.  The ability to shoot 6” with the laser lance is useful for checking range.  Shoot with and measure with the lance, if you can shoot you can assault unless you kill the closest model.  If you can’t, you can’t assault and you can jump away.)  Since the spears couldn’t charge, the harlies need to engage the rightmost squad to protect the spears.  They charge and kill 3 taking no casualties in return.  We pile in.

He moves the unengaged right flank squad to charge the harlies.  The command squad moves forward to charge the Avatar.  The leftmost termie squad advances.  This squad has a missile launcher and had been shooting at the walkers the whole time.  Return shooting had killed two of these termies by this point.

Shooting stuns the walker again.  Other shooting is ineffective.

He charges the Avatar with the command squad, loses a couple models, and kills the Avatar.  He put three wounds on the Avatar, I failed the invulnerable on all three then failed the reroll as well.  Avatar is dead, he consolidates into the wraithlord.  He charges the harlies with four termies, the harlies are engaged with a total of 6 termies at this point.  All the harlies except the shadowseer can attack the charging squad so they do.  I get an insane number of rends (6 or 7) and all the chargers are dead.  The other 2 termies kill 2 harlies.  The harlies hit and run away, really far away and will not be able to charge again the next turn.  The surviving termies consolidate into terrain.

Turn 4

Falcon moves forward for a side armor shot on the last vindicator, dragons disembark and have shots on either the left termies or the vindicator.  Walkers stay put.  Eldrad fortunes the guard and the squad moves away from the termie command squad in combat with the lord.  The spears advance toward the middle preparing a charge on a termie squad which is in the open and still at or near full strength.  The harlies are out of charge range of anything so they just move forward a bit.

Shooting picks off the last of the squad that the harlies had charged.  The falcon kills the vindicator and the dragons kill the termies on the left. 

The spears charge the squad in the open.  The exarch kills one or two, the rest of the spears don’t get their attacks because the termie in BTB was pulled.  I decide to stay engaged rather than jumping out, the harlies can charge them the next turn.  The wraithlord kills a termie, but doesn’t take any wounds in return.

There is no moving or shooting for my opponent.

Two spears are killed in assault.  They hit and run out.  The squad they were engaged with consolidates into terrain.  The lord and the termies he is in combat with have a group hug rather than doing any killing.

Turn 5

Only two enemy units remain.  I kill one with shooting.  The lord and termies are still making love not war.

End Game:

We call it at this point.  My only unit lost or below half strength is the Avatar.  His whole force is destroyed save for the command squad which is below half strength.
« Last Edit: April 9, 2008, 04:47:42 PM by Gwaihir »

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
Re: Fa'alnor (Iyandenish force) v. Deathwing and Mech IG
« Reply #1 on: April 9, 2008, 09:57:09 AM »
The game against the Mech IG was much closer.  I probably could have pulled out a win, but made a few mistakes.  I also felt a bit of a sting at not having my second wraithguard squad.  I think I would have had a much easier time of it with a list closer to my normal lists.

I used the same list as above.  I am not sure about all the particulars of his list or what went where in his FOC but the list is more or less outlined below.

His List:

• Inquisitor with a bunch of helpers.   There was a psycannon, plasma cannon and some other stuff.   He got +1 on the first turn roll.  I think this squad had sharpshooter or something that let him reroll shots.
  • Callidus Assassin.
  • Basilisk
  • Lemunruss with 3 Heavy Bolters
  • Russ with Demolisher cannon
  • Mechanics to repair the Russ
  • 5 Chimeras
  • Antitank squad with 2 lascannons and a missile launcher
  • HQ squad with 2 plasma guns
  • 3 more squads with 2 plasma guns
  • I think all the infantry squads were storm troopers.

The Board:

Most of the terrain features are level 3 area terrain ruins with a 4+ save.  The feature in the upper left corner was very tall impassible terrain which blocked line of sight.  The other two features were forests.

My Deployment:

I had a large ruins in the center of my DZ and put the wraithguard there.  I attached Eldrad to them.  The wraithlord was in the same cover to the left of the guard.  The avatar was in the open to the right of the guard.  The spears were behind that cover.  The harlies were in a bit of terrain to the right of the wraithguard with the jetbikes hiding behind that terrain.  The firedragons were in the falcon which was behind cover to the left.  There were two smallish ruins pieces that cut off line of sight.  The walkers also used the same pieces of cover to hide.  The scout move allowed them to move forward hiding behind the front piece.

His Deployment Starting from my left and moving right:

He had a chimera deployed on the far left hiding behind some cover.   The lemun russ deployed about 18-24” from the left edge.  Immediately to the right of the russ was a forest in which the inquisitor squad deployed.  A chimera deployed to the left of that forrest.  The Russ with the demolisher cannon deployed behind in some large ruins in the center of his DZ.  These ruins were roughly opposite the ones in which my guard deployed.  They also were deep enough that the Russ was out of line of sight.  A chimera was behind the ruins with the command squad inside.  Another squad was in the ruins next to the Russ and the mechanics were in contact with the side of the Russ.  A chimera was deployed on the right of the ruins and its squad was behind it.  A 5”-7” gap separated the center ruins from ruins to the right.  The lascannon/missile launcher squad and another took up a position in those ruins.  A chimera was to the right of the ruins near the board edge and the basilisk was behind these ruins.  It couldn’t really get out of LOS.

The Board After Deployment, Scout Move and Assassin Moving the Tank (not all models in the IG squads are represented):

Turn 1:

He used the assassin to bump my falcon into LOS of the lemun russ.  He won the rolloff and got first turn.  The far left chimera moved forward for a shot on the walkers.  The russ with the demolisher moved forward so it could shoot through the ruins.  The mechanics moved with it.  The chimera to the right of those ruins moved forward as did the chimera on the far right flank.

He destroys the falcon, but doesn’t kill any dragons with a lemun russ shot.  The chimera on the left blows up a walker and stuns the other.  The avatar takes a wound from something and one or two wraithguard die.

No assaults.

I manage to fortune the guard.  I made a mistake in deployment and the Avatar is out of range.  I don’t have anything else to do with the powers.  The guard move forward through the ruins, the avatar advances on their right and the lord tries to on the left, but terrain slows him and he barely moves.  I am taking pains to ensure that Eldrad is surrounded so he can’t be assaulted by the assassin.  Unfortunately this leaves me a bit exposed to large blasts.  The spears turboboost to the right hiding behind the terrain piece there in a spot just vacated by the jetbikes which move forward and line up a side armor shot on the chimera on that side; it had turned toward the middle to take shots at something there.  The harlies advance forward.

The lord immobilizes the chimera on the far left, but track guards negate that.  The walker can’t do anything.  The deathjester manages to destroy the chimera which is to the right of the ruins in the middle of the enemy DZ.  The jetbikes manage to shake and immobilize the chimera on the right, but track guards again keep the chimera mobile.

The jetbikes can’t hide with an assault move so they move forward hoping to get a shot on the bassie the next turn.

Turn 2:

The assassin doesn’t show up.  The chimera on the left moves back a bit to get out of the lord’s line of sight.  The lemun russ pivots to shoot at the wraithguard.  The troops behind the now destroyed chimera move into its wreckage.  The the russ with the demolisher cannon moves back a bit.  The chimera on the right moves back and the bassie pivots to protect its side armor.  It is now facing straight at my bikes and spears.

The left chimera stuns the walker.  Combined shooting from most of his force manages to kill another wraithguard—down to 6 or 7.  The avatar doesn’t take any wounds.  The lascannon squad had shot at him, but didn’t do anything.  The wraithlord is wounded in either this round or the previous.  The squad in the right ruins fire their plama guns and las guns at the jetbikes but don’t manage any wounds.  The bassie fires on the spears, wounding one which passes its turboboost invulnerable.

At this point I have lost the falcon, taken a wound on the lord and avatar, lost 3 or 4 wraithguard and one walker.

Nothing happens in the assault phase.

I want to fortune the Avatar and wraithguard, but only manage to fortune the guard thanks to the inquisitor’s psychic hood.  The dragons manage to disengage themselves from the falcon’s wreckage and move a bit forward.  There is a forest in front of them and the chimera on that side (the left) is behind the forest.  They may be able to kill it.  The problem is open ground between the safety of the falcon and the forest.  If they are stuck in the open the lemun russ could destroy them quite easily.  They advance as far forward as possible while keeping the falcon between themselves and the russ.  Next turn they’ll make a dash for the forrest.  The lord, guard, avatar, harlies, jetbikes and spears all move forward.

The avatar and wraithguard fire on the russ with the demolisher and kill it.  The lord kills one or two of the inquisitor’s buddies.  The Death jester fires on the squad in the right ruins killing one.  The jetbikes were going to fire on the bassie, but my opponent says its front armor is 12 and I don’t want to shoot it if I need 6s to glance.  (I checked the IG summary after the game and it says the armor is 12, but I am sure that it is 11 ???  Anyway, I didn’t want to argue.)  I chose to shoot at the squad in the ruins instead and kill 1 or 2.  The shining spears don’t do anything to the chimera with their shots.

The jetbikes decide to charge the squad in the ruins, if they manage to live, the lascannon squad will have its lanes of fire blocked.  I can take away two squads shooting if I live.  One bike dies to the dangerous terrain check, I take no casualties and get a kill.  The guard stay in combat.  The spears use the assault move to hide in the ruins nearby and all pass their dangerous terrain check.  I should mention that this bit of ruins was only about 4” wide, but was 12” or more long.  Its long edge was parallel to the short board edge.  My harlies after 2 moves forward are finally near the end of the piece, but still in it.

Turn 3:

The assassin shows up and decides she wants to kill my spears so deploys near them.  The mechanics are angry about their russ being destroyed so they move forward to challenge the avatar.  The chimera on the right moves forward.  The command chimera behind the ruins in the center moves left a bit.

The left chimera shoots at and shakes the walker.  The harlies take fire from several directions and lose all but the troupe master.  The shining spears also take heavy casualties from the shooting and neural shredder and are reduced to the exarch alone.  Both the troupe master and exarch are in the avatar’s fearless bubble though.  The guard lose one or two more members.

The bikes and the guard squad don’t do anything to each other.

Eldrad again fortunes the wraithguard.  Again the hood stops me from fortuning the Avatar.  The walker hides behind some ruins to recover itself.  The dragons move up to the forest.  The wraithlord advances to the front edge of the ruins.  The guard move out of the ruins and the Avatar moves toward the mechanics.  The troupemaster moves to assault the squad that is standing on the destroyed chimera and the shining spear exarch moves to shoot the assassin then hide behind the long thin terrain piece.  I probably would have killed her with a charge, but would have been in the open to face the fire of the chimera on that side.  I figured I could stay alive for a while if I moved toward the middle where assaults were beginning to block fire lanes.  Also moving toward the assassin would take me out of the Avatar’s fearless bubble.  This would force last man standing checks.

I manage to wound the assassin.  The lord shoots at the inquisitor squad, but doesn’t kill any.  The guard don’t have range to any good targets.

The avatar charges and kills the mechanics.  The spear exarch hides behind terrain.  The troupe master charges the squad in the chimera’s wreckage.  This was a mistake I think.  I had forgotten that the now dead shadowseer is the source of my plasma grenades until I was ready to charge.  Had I thought of this earlier I would have charged to support the bikes—I should have done that anyway.  As it was my movement and fleet took me a bit away from them, and I didn’t remember the problem until I charged so I didn’t get to join that combat.  I did get lucky though and saved the one wound I took before killing 3 or 4 guardsmen.  They stay put.  The bikes also manage to stay alive though they don’t kill anyone either.

Turn 4:

The bassie moves forward a bit, the chimera on that side does also.  The chimera on the left moves forward a bit.

Shooting drops me down to 3 wraithguard, plus the seer and Eldrad.  The avatar takes a wound.

The lascannon squad tired of watching the battle charge the jetbikes and kill them.  The troupe master kills a couple more guardsmen then succumbs to their return attacks.

I start to retreat the lord since I will need him to contest a quarter.  The dragons advance into the woods right against the board edge, they are out of LOS of everything except the chimera they want to kill.  The walker moves into the terrain and is out of LOS of everything but the chimera.  I need it to hold that quarter.  The guard advance toward the russ hoping to shoot it.  The lord advances toward the command squad which had just hopped out of their chimera and were hiding in the back of the ruins there.  The spear exarch moved toward the center hoping to avoid fire from the right.  The avatar is fortuned.  I need it to hold or contest a quarter and if it takes one more wound it can’t.  The guard squad are below half so they aren’t that important.  The hood blocks the attempt to fortune them.  Eldrad separates from the guard and moves toward the inquisitor’s squad and the nearby chimera.

The dragons kill the chimera.  No other shooting is worth noting.

The avatar charges and kills the command squad, the leader runs but is caught.  The avatar can’t consolidate into a new cc because of a bad roll.  The spear exarch manages to hide from fire on the right.  Eldrad charges and destroys the chimera.  It explodes killing someone in the inquisitor’s squad, but doesn’t wound Eldrad.

I made a big mistake here with Eldrad.  Had I charged the inquisitor’s squad, I likely would have won as you will see in a bit.  I forgot about the psycannon and figured that he would live to charge them the next turn.  Ooops.

Turn 5:

The bassie moves forward at full speed--it is the only thing that can contest the right quarter on my side.  The squad that had killed the troupe master the last turn moved toward the center of the terrain piece in which the avatar is positioned hoping their plasma guns will do something to it.  The assassin moves toward the middle, but has no effect on the rest of the game.  The squads in the ruins on the right and the chimera on that side likewise have no further impact.

My spear exarch and Eldrad are killed by enemy shooting.  How could I forget about that psycannon.

No assaults.

My dragons move forward planning to contest the left quarter on my enemy’s side.  They spread out so that the bassie can’t kill them all with one shot.  They also hug the board edge to maximize the chances of a shot deviating off of the edge.  The lord moves toward the right quarter on my side to contest that quarter.  He is able to stay out of sight in the large ruins.  The guard advance toward the russ.  Eldrad detaches and moves toward the inquisitor and the chimera next to it.  The avatar moves to engage the squad which had killed the troupe master.

The guard destroy the russ with their guns.

The avatar charges the guardsmen, takes no wound, kills some and the other run.  They don’t run too far though and he consolidates into them.  They pass the test to regroup.  Good, the Avatar can’t be shot and will contest that quarter unless they get a lucky cc wound.

Turn 6:

No movement worth noting.

The bassie tries to kill the walker, but deviates and fails.  The lord can’t be seen to be shot.  The inquisitor’s buddies kill all the dragons save one.  Blast, there goes the unit that was going to control that quarter.

The avatar kills the remaining guardsmen.

There is nothing for me to do in my turn.  I am in the quarters I need to be in with my scoring units and can’t do anything about his scoring units.  Actually I could have had I realized the inquisitor’s squad was a scoring unit.  One more kill would have dropped them below half too.  Three wraithguard and their seer could have shot and charged them.  I mistakenly thought they weren’t a scoring unit—another big ooops!  I shot at a chimera instead missing with each shot.  So misses would have been misses regardless of the target, but had I been thinking I could have moved close enough to virtually guarantee a charge and should have been able to get that one wound.

Game Over:

I control the quarter on my left side with my walker.  The other quarter on my side is contested by the lord and bassie.  The quarter on the enemy’s right side is contested by the avatar and the lascannon squad.  The inquisitor and his buddies hold the quarter on the left side in enemy territory.  One quarter each and two quarters contested.  The result is a draw.

The board looked something like this.  Only scoring units are shown.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:07:19 AM by Gwaihir »

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #2 on: April 9, 2008, 10:57:45 AM »
   Hey, good game against that Deathwing Gwaihir. I always thought that Iyanden armies could take on their Imperial equivalent (resilience wise) and that just proved it to me.
   I would have screamed for a Starcannon Falcon/Wraitlord with Lance/Starcannon in that game though. ;)

Kudos for the massacre.

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #3 on: April 9, 2008, 11:04:53 AM »
I would have screamed for a Starcannon Falcon/Wraitlord with Lance/Starcannon in that game though.

Yeah, those would have been nice, but I always build my list without knowing who I will face.  I don't like the cost of lances and starcannons.  I've used the lance/starcannon lord a few times, but cringe thinking about the 20 or so extra points it costs.

Offline Dr. Ravingburger

• Ork Boy | No stranger to love.
« Reply #4 on: April 9, 2008, 12:07:52 PM »
Your opponent seemed to make several large blunders- not shooting the Harlies, ignoring the Falcon, going after the Avatar and WL etc. Your real threats (harlies, Fire Dragons, Shining Spears) were largely ignored. Nice job on the win.

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #5 on: April 9, 2008, 10:27:33 PM »
Nice BatRep Gwaihir; too bad about that second game.  Its crazy how a few "small" decisions can have such a big impact on a game.

In what way do you feel your "Standard" list would have served you better?
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #6 on: April 9, 2008, 11:00:57 PM »
   I would guess an answer here, although I may be wrong: Dropping the Jetbikes for a second WG squad where the IG would have had what more to deal with it, a Hellhound? (lol)
   The fact is, once IG have spent their three Heavy Support, there's not much they can buy to drop a second (Fortuned or not) Wraithguard squad under scoring and this game seems to reflect this as the Russes and Bassie didn't seem to have a huge impact in the game (except maybe rending ONE WG squad under scoring).
   Please Gwaihir correct my assumptions if I'm wrong.

I faced a Mech IG force two weeks ago and the single fact that my opponent failed to land a single pie plate straight on target gave me an easy massacre. IG without efficient AP3 Ordnance fail against Fortuned Wraithguard.
   Also, I'll try to write up that batrep for next week. Been far too long since I didn't write one. ;)

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 11:28:05 AM »
Your opponent seemed to make several large blunders- not shooting the Harlies, ignoring the Falcon, going after the Avatar and WL etc. Your real threats (harlies, Fire Dragons, Shining Spears) were largely ignored. Nice job on the win.

Well shooting at the harlies would have been risky.  If he rolled badly to see them, then the shots are wasted.  He had his units positioned well so that one would take the charge and the other would support.  What really hurt him was that I got very lucky with rending when he charged me.  Almost half the attacks managed to rend.  It was ridiculous.  Had the rends been closer to average, I likely would have lost several harlies to that assault and both his terminator squads would be alive though badly damaged.  This would have saved the other squad the spears ended up charging.  The high number of rends really had a snowball effect on the rest of the game.

This was offset a bit by the Avatar dieing so easily.  He failed 3 4+ saves, then failed the rerolls.  6 dice rolls and not a single 4,5 or 6.

Consolidating into the wraithlord should have worked fairly well also, but his fists couldn't hit.  He only needed two wounds to kill the lord, but couldn't get them.  Had he done better there, my guard squad may have been in trouble.

The other thing that hurt him was that the walkers didn't die as quickly as would be expected, though shooting at them may have been a mistake.  They didn't have AP2 weapons so they probably would have done very little to his troops had he just ignored them.

This was the first game he had used the vindicators, and I think he wasn't quite sure how to use them.  Putting them on the flank allowed me to get close with the dragons.  He could have used termie squads to keep the dragons away from the tanks which would have allowed him to fire them a bit more often.

Quote from: Chaplain Swordwind
In what way do you feel your "Standard" list would have served you better?

Starky explains it well.  The jetbikes and shining spears are a bit too easy to kill and don't have a real strong punch.  They require a lot of finesse and don't help with one thing I often do with the standard list--give standard weapons no good targets.  I couldn't really get them close enough to be useful without exposing them to fire and they don't take fire very well.  Even with just one guard squad to shoot at and three ordinance weapons available, he couldn't stop that one squad from getting close enough to kill both Russe, though he did drop it down from being a scoring unit.  A second squad would have been able to push up the right flank and likely kill the bassie and chimera there.

With both squads pushing forward, I don't think he would have been able to put anything on my side of the board.  I would have had an easier time controlling those two quarters and would have only needed to contest one quarter on his side to get a win.  I doubt two wraithguard squads would have been dropped below scoring status, so that wouldn't have been too hard.

As it was, I wasn't able to hold the right flank.  The harlies, spears and bikes tried, but they got wiped out and he was able to penetrate my side of the board because of that.

Its crazy how a few "small" decisions can have such a big impact on a game.

Yep.  There were probably two things I could have done, either of which would likely have allowed me to win.  Either charge the inquisitor and buddies with Eldrad, or charge them with the wraithguard on the last turn.  I was just one kill away from taking their scoring status and winning the game.