News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Restriction about dedicated transports  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Nobbla

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Restriction about dedicated transports
« on: May 7, 2013, 11:10:08 AM »
The only restriction I have found that about dedicated transports is that the only unit that my start embarked in it is the unit it was bought with.
So if I by one battlewagon with my Nobs, I can start the game with this battlewagon empty and the Nobs occupying another vehicle. Is this correct?

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Restriction about dedicated transports
« Reply #1 on: May 7, 2013, 11:34:31 AM »
Assuming that other vehicle isn't somebody else's dedicated transport, then yes, you can.

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 7, 2013, 03:37:16 PM »
It would be a waste though.  The only non Dedicated Transport options we have are the Heavy Slot Battlewagon and Looted Wagon (and really you don't want to put an expensive unit in a Looted Wagon, or really any unit if you can avoid it).  It is true that Imperial Armor 8 does expand Transport options so if you take your Battle Brothers I suppose you could put the Nobz in the Warkopter, Big Trakk, Liftawagon or Elite slotted Mekboy Junkas... oh nevermind that, note page 112 subheading titled "Battle Brothers" third bulletpoint.

In reality if you really want Nobs in a transport other than a Battlewagon, why buy the Wagon in the first place?  A Ded Trans Wagon looses the Killkannon option (meaning that it can't really go "super" tank), and if you want the Nobz in a Trukk why not just give them that to start off with?

The only time I can conceive of doing this type of thing is if your Heavy slots are already full up and you desperately need a wagon full of shootas, but even then it's a bit naff.  True there was high competition for Heavy slots, but with 6th Edition the only really viable choices are Big Guns, Battlewagons and Flash Gitz (Should anyone wish to argue against this comment please do so via PM or opening another thread so as not to highjack). 

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Nobbla

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: May 8, 2013, 02:43:36 AM »
Thanks for answers!
Yes, the reason is that I run out of heavy support slots. I want three battlewagons as well as a unit of big guns. Two of the wagons are for shoota boyz and the third is for a unit of mega nobz. The problem is that I also what this third wagon to be equipped with a deffkannon. But the trick listed above solves this for just a minor cost of setup limitations, provided that it is allowed.
Also while I am on it, is there any restriction, except the one listed on p78-80 in the rule book, about moving a vehicle after a unit embanked into it? As I understand it, the vehicle can both move either combat speed or cruising speed as well as go flat out. Is this correct?

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #4 on: May 9, 2013, 07:37:54 AM »
If you need more heavy slots, why not run a second detachment.  AS long as you have 4 troop options and 2 HQ's (not hard in an ork army) you can run a second detachment.  I do this all the time with my 2000 point and above lists (also a requirement).

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 06:06:22 AM »
Yes, the reason is that I run out of heavy support slots. I want three battlewagons as well as a unit of big guns. Two of the wagons are for shoota boyz and the third is for a unit of mega nobz.

Well now sense is made, and I'm actually astounded I didn't make that realization when I replied last time.  Then again I haven't had much luck with the Killkannon, and frankly a Killkannon Wagon is usually more of a bulletmagnet than I usually want, especially if it's filled with Meganobz.  I hope you have better luck than I have had with the Killkannon, I think I'll stick to the 10 extra boys instead.

Also while I am on it, is there any restriction, except the one listed on p78-80 in the rule book, about moving a vehicle after a unit embanked into it? As I understand it, the vehicle can both move either combat speed or cruising speed as well as go flat out. Is this correct?
You know I thought that sounded wrong, but after checking the Transport Embarking and Flat Out rules section I'm actually a bit shocked to see that you CAN do exactly what you said.  Perhaps my train of thought is still from a previous edition.

If you need more heavy slots, why not run a second detachment.
I feel the need to second Adamscurr's excellent point.  Check out pg 110 of the BRB for rules on the Second Detachment.  Sure there is the requirement of needing to be 2000 points or above, but cursory estimation of the 3 wagons, the boyz on board, the Megas, and the Big Gunz would put you around 800+ and that's before HQ, additional troops, elites and fast attack options.  In an unrelated subject I want to thank you adamscurr for inadvertently making me realize that I could feasibly have 6 Dakkajets in an army.  Sure it'd take up over 1/3 of the points in a 2000 list, but I really can't believe I didn't realize this sooner.  I think I'm gonna have to order another pound of plasticard now.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 09:34:43 PM »
Good times...  I'm glad I could help! lol

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!