News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Can someone have a look at this?  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Burser

• irc.netgamers.org #burningflag
    • Burser's World
Can someone have a look at this?
« on: August 26, 2002, 05:23:32 PM »
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/joshua.entwistle/armylist.html

Thats my army-list (generated on a REGISTERED copy of Army Builder  ;)  )

I'd like all you experianced players to rip it apart and tell me what, in your oppinions, needs changing

Now I know I should do this for myself, and I will.  But you will all have different viewpoints on my army, and I'd like to incorporate them all.

Go on - give you army-jaws a flex and rip some prime fillet from my young and tender armylist.
"For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings. And, folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And we're going to do something about it." -George W. Bush, May 14

President Bush - urging his nation to learn to aim.

Offline Asurmen_

Re:Can someone have a look at this?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2002, 08:46:46 PM »
First this should be in the army list section

I don't really see why the farseer is on a jet bike and what do you plan on guiding, also the warlock should probably be discarded because he allows that unit (him and the farseer) to be shot at and they could potentially kill the farseer this way, Also I would drop the CTM on the falcon as you will be transporting the fire dragons which means your going to have to get close to the enemy and not use the CTM, ou may want to add a Holo field instead as this greatly increases the chances of the Falcon living

Also I personally would get rid of the dire avengers and warp spiders and either addd a unit of banshees on a ws or another squad of scorpions on a ws

Offline Burser

• Burser's World
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2002, 09:22:34 PM »
The Farseer and the Warlock are on Bikes so they can run arround the field guiding anything it wants.

And yes - that warlock is a silly idea. Why's he there? :)

As for the falcon, you are correct.

Changes have been made *grin*

Thats the sort of insight I'm after.  One e-Beer to that person!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2002, 09:29:51 PM by Burser »
"For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings. And, folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And we're going to do something about it." -George W. Bush, May 14

Offline Beevers

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2002, 02:50:01 AM »
I think your armylist is okay. ;D

Offline emperorschamp

• Suffer not the Unclean to Live!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2002, 04:25:14 AM »
Im no Eldar player, but i agree with 'Asurmen_' that u should get bansees instead of the warp spiders. Do you know the amount of damage those bansees can do to anything under toughness 5 in close combat?!!! :o Also, it says clearly in the Eldar Codex under the Farseer listing that they MAY NOT BE MOUNTED ON JETBIKES. It says something like 'they are far too old and proud to go racing around the skies'. But i hear there is one craftworld that is jetbike heavy and i dunno the rules mabey they are allowed but i dont know (as i said im not an eldar player so dont yell at me  :P)
-={CRUSADE IMPERIALIS}=-
"While vile mutants still draw breath, there can be no peace.

While obscene heretics' hearts still beat, there can be no respite.

While faithless traitors still live, there can be no forgiveness."

-={DEATH TO THE FOES OF THE EMPEROR!!!}=-

Offline EldarLictor

• And that's when I finally got sick of razor burn..
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2002, 06:44:30 AM »
I have a more nit-picky suggestion. I would say that you should not bother with crushing blow on your scorp exarch. It only gives him strn 9 with his power fist; its not that big of an edge.
Your wave serpant will most likely never have enough liniar distance to have a chance to use star engines.
The vypers are so weak that the spirit stones will not help much. I would suggest you get crystat targeting matrix (CTM) on them instead. With CTM, move out from behind cover 6" shoot, and move back 6". CTM, if used properly, can offer more protection than spirit stones.
Oh yeah, I would give the dire avenger exarch BOTH defend and destract. (They are some of the best aspect skills IMHO after sustained assault)
Now, after the nitpicking... ;D
Asurmen is right, I think the CTM on the falcon should be dropped. The warp spiders are not versetile enough, but they work well enough (even against marines they OWN rhinos)

Emperors champ: You play against Ulthewe too much ;) Any farseer can be mounted on jetbikes. Ulthewe seer councels cannot.
Did you know that cats purred when you were young?
-I didn't.
I did know that Cats says "All your base are belong to us." however.
All your base are belong to us

Offline Asurmen_

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2002, 11:40:30 AM »
I would now suggest you play a couple of games and see what units work with your style of play and see if you don't like any of the units you use

Offline Burser

• Burser's World
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2002, 11:57:42 AM »
Yes - Farseers can be mounted on bikes.  I may get him a leather jacket that says "Born to Rune!" ;)

As for the Banshees... I need some help with those.

They don't look all that hot to me... oh wait.  I've just noticed their power-weapon  -  D'OH!

Where did that come from.

Well then - that changes everything.

Is it, however, a good trade-off?  I've replace 10 WarpSpides and a Dire squad with 8 Banshees and a WaveSerpent (keeping that Fast Attack option open)

My Vypers have CTMs now (and Vectored Engines to keep the points up)

I'm 8 points down.  Anyone know where I can use em?

I hop yall don't think I'm doing everything you say... its just, everything you've said is so valid and reasonable.

I play games, I've played a few... but I've been getting stiffed on rules and weapons I didn't notice and no-one pointed out to me :)

The games I've played are 500-700 point games.  Y'all are helping me make the transition.  The tactics for Beil Tan change alot when you get bigger armies.

Offline spacepiper

• Soul Rebel
  • One Love; Bob Marley
    • EldarOnline
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2002, 03:56:02 PM »
Honestly, If I was you I would ditch all those expensive upgrades on your vehicles. You've got alteast 150 points worth of them, and for that you could get a squad of Dark Reapers, which own the house.  :)
“The ends you serve that are selfish will take you no further than yourself: but the ends you serve that are for all, in common, will take you into eternity.” –Marcus Garvey

Offline Burser

• Burser's World
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2002, 04:28:46 PM »
I've found that without the Spirit Stones and the Vectored Engines, Eldar vehc.. vic..  vehia... skimmers get hit, crash and burn.

I've honestly not had a good time with my tanks.  Like the Prism tank I played almost every game and it hit something once.

Why can't skimmers LAND if they're immobilised.

Surely if you're vehicle has stayed stationary on your turn, the skimmer should just float to the floor.

Hmm - reapers.  Lots of points in a sitting target.

My main adversary fields three Whirlwinds.  Annihilation for fielded troops.

Offline Asurmen_

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2002, 04:43:15 PM »
do you really need the star engines on the 2 WS's and the falcon, I really don't think your going to use them that often because you should have drooped off your units and assulted turn 2 (if you didn't stop to shoot you could have moved 44" by now) and the 2d6 is pretty unreliable

Offline Burser

• Burser's World
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2002, 05:40:26 PM »
If I deploy first, though, I may have to leap accross the diagonal of the map.

Though I suppose if I have three troop-carrying tanks, I can spread accross.

Something for me to think about, I think.

I have 24 points to spare if I don't put the star engines on.  Thats an extra Banshee.  Or some wargear on another vehicle.

Its so hard sorting out these last few points.

Offline DeamonMonkey

• Come on touch it. I dare you
  • Still a llama!
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2002, 12:34:48 AM »
Ok be prepared to be nit-picked away!!

Farseer-What will he be guideing?!? No reapers the 'Lord is Bs 4... I say get one like this and stick him with the banshees:

Farseer 131
Fortune, Mind war, witch blade, sp, spirit stones

3 points more to have re-rolled 4+ saves for your banshees. Thats .5 off Termies, mind war to kill power weapons/fists and heavy weapons.

Scorps- Good but give the Exrach crushing blow that extra 1 S will help vs tanks, thats what you want them to do right? (Haywire Grendades)

WaveSerpent- GET SOME BRIGHT LANCES ON THIS THING!! and the other one!! you have one, ONE, S 8 weapon in your army. It's twin linked so use that on a one shot weapon.

Everything else is good, except:

Veh...Vehic...Skimm er upgrades you have 5 Vectored engines in your army 25 pts. And 2 star engines. You will not need these. do you really need to go 24+2D6" ? 20 pts.

So with 45 pts, take away 15 for crushing blow, 3 for the farseer you have 27, 8 left over so *thinks* 35

I'd put a CTM on the Banshees wave serpent, or the Falcon, Why? once they unload their troops you'll be well behind enemy lines and need some cover. You don't want to be throwing a way a 110/120 + upgrades tank away. Just being behind them and shooting like a madman will at least disrupt their lines, and most likely destroy some valuable troops/tanks.

Hope I wasn't too harsh, and I *THINK* I didn't misspell much, but it's late so forgive me ;)

Offline Burser

• Burser's World
« Reply #13 on: September 2, 2002, 05:00:09 PM »
Not in the slightest bit harsh  ;D

I'll meet you on the middle ground.

The Farseer:  In the Banshee squad, interesting.  Can you explain that you mean by "Thats .5 off Termies"?

The Scorpey Exarch: Crushing Blow.  No, I don't think so.  The fact that on average 4/5 of the scorpeys will hit a tank and 1 of them will penetrate.  Dead tank.  Or at least sevearly crippled.  I want to keep all my aspects striking as soon as possible in battle.

As for the lack of strong weapons, I guess I've not built this list for a strong anti-tank roll.  Its more orientated for killing space marines and Nids I guess.

I may be foolish, but I've never really valued the BrightLance.  Yes its a powerful weapon, and capable of obliterating tanks and killing anything alse in front of it (assuming it hits)...  what am I saying?

I suppose that I should include more S8 weaponry but I resent the drop in overall shots/turn.  If we had the ability to mount Pulse Lasers instead of Bright Lances, I'd be happy.

Ok, the Falcon already has a PL, so I'll swap a SC on one of the WS's for a BL.

Ok, I've mounted it on the HBs WS.  They don't have the capability to take out tanks (as such) so I've given them a Transport that can (I'm glad you made me think about that).  

Out of interest, Executioner or PowerBlades, and why can't  I use both? (Considering the PowerBlades are on the Exarchs forarms?)  Strength 3 is BAD.

And so is T3!  Geez, if you drop these Banshees, you'd break em.

« Last Edit: September 2, 2002, 05:03:54 PM by Burser »