News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Is this List Cheesy?Competitive or just plain weak? 1000pts grenediers  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Lord Commissar Spiteful

• Commissar
  • Ancient
  • Only Survivor of the Spiteful Incident
  • Armies: Guard
Just salvaging parts of my army from a recent car accident. Haven;t played since 5thed started, so not sure if it's any good and I have a game on the 11th against Blood Angels.

Please give me a hand guys.

HQ
JO Stormbolter Powersword
4 Grunts with Meltas

Antitank Support
3 lascannons

200 points

Troop 1
8 Grenadiers
2 Plasma
Mars Pattern Chimera

Troop 2
8 Grenadiers
2 Plasma
Mars Pattern Chimera

Troop 3
8 Grenadiers
2 Plasma
Mars Pattern Chimera

Elites
Hardened Vet Sarge + 4* Hardened vets
3 Meltas
75 points

Heavy Support
Leman Russ
2* Heavy Bolter
Lascannon
Extra Armour
170 points

Total Points
1000 points

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
So, any adivice? or should I substantially change my list? Also, any idea if should take doctrines? The only one I need is the grenadier one.

Also I could swap out the hardened vets, the officer's powersword and stormbolter and the russ' extra armour for 2 mars sents.

Thanks guys
Spite

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 03:55:07 AM by Commissar Spiteful »
Ordo Sepulturum
Hunt for the Terminus Est

Offline Drasnighta

• Lord of the Fourth (Edition) - BADGaming
Only 1 Leman Russ at 1k points isn't going to be cheese... 

What might work better for you, doctrine wise, is to add Light Infantry in...  Toss it on the HQ, and OUTFLANK those four Meltaguns...  Never know when you'll need them up close and personal, and at least that way, they're not going to be dakka'd on the way across the board.

Lots of Plasma-fire, which you'll need vs. Blood Angels...  Its a Tough list, but I don't think it'll be impossible or cheesy...

THey're only Chimeras after all... 
Tournament Placings:
Arcanacon 2009:  14 / 154 - 1st Placed Imperial Guard on Generalship to boot!

Offline Paraplegic

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
Considering it is blood angels, there's hardly a static element for you to infiltrate/deep strike your meltas. If you could change your main HQ to a 3 plasma + medic or 4 plasma squad, I think it would be much more effective. But then again you have alot of plasma as it is...

Offline Wonko the Sane

• Armies: Imperial Guard, Eldar
Seems alright, I might switch the storm bolter and power sword along with the extra armor out for one sentinel... whatever kind, if you have the points.

Other than that.... you don't really have much AT besides that lascannon squad that can do much at range. That might not be a concern for you, but just keep in mind what kind of army you're playing against, and where you will need to be to use the brunt of your AT firepower as is.
-IG w/d/l (since 15th December, 2007): 26/8/6
Last Game: 4,000 point draw in Apocalypse

Offline Talon Undecided

• Full Bird Colonel; Old School Necron Hunter Adept; Best Painted Rough Riders
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
  • Armies: Astra Militarum, Evil Blood Ravens, AdMech
Against Blood Angels, pretty much the only tank you will find is the Baal Predator (along with plenty of Rhinos). I would label that as high priority as those will chew up your infantry and Grenadiers.

That said, I do know of goons who would put a Land Raider in 1000pts...  So I'll say keep the Melta Vets for Deepstrike / Outflank purposes. (that would mean gettin' Droptroops there boss ;)) Those guys can also go Baal hunting.

I echo everyone in saying that the command squad is better off as a plasma squad. Deepstriking could be considered as it allows you to hide your command squad from shooting for a while, and also allows you to get within rapid fire range of targets of opportunity, but I hesitate as well as the randomness of deepstriking is still there, not to mention being too close to the Blood Angels for comfort. So it's your choice ;)

Oh, and try to get Hull Heavy Flamers on your Chimeras. Those do more damage than a Multilaser in optimal range...
Imperial Guard Poster of the year '09!
Good golly that was ages ago.

Astra what now?

• Commissar
  • Ancient
Okay, plasma will allow me to drop the stormbolter for a regular bolter or maybe another plasma wep. Also the squad can't really assault anymore so I can drop the officer's power fist?
Call it 10 points saved. 

Maybe drop two plasmas for a missile launcher?

I'm not 100% convinced about the deepstrike though? Vets can infiltrate, so isn't that a better option?

Flamers. Now that's an idea. Ive not played since 4th ed so I've always prefered the several turns of shooting both weapons on the move, but now... I like.

Also the guy was boasting to me about his landraider, so he may have one. Not to worry though I'm not going to tailor the list. Just wondering if what i have is up to it and what i can do with the inbuilt plasticity.

I think I'll use the meltas as a countercharge unit in the end. Basically I'll let the lascannons etc try and send ordnance downrange and then unload on any death company.

Finally don't think I can afford the sent. Any ideas what i can do with those 15 or so points?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:41:43 AM by Commissar Spiteful »
Ordo Sepulturum

Offline Paraplegic

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
A landraider will certainly give *one* of your melta squads something to do. Either the deepstriking HQ melta squad or the infiltrating meltasquad should be enough imho. I would go with the vets because infiltrating vets will distract your opponents much better than a deepstriking HQ, although the infiltrating vets may never survive the footslog into melta range. Just something to think about.

• Commissar
  • Ancient
Survivability is an issue. I'll think a bit about it. Maybe I'll grab a different type of unit instead.

Uh. Just a final thought. Are you confident that Hull H Flamers are teh way to go over a heavy bolter? Just incase I have time for a bit of a conversion I want to be sure not to mess it up too much.

Spite
Ordo Sepulturum

Offline Major Arah

• Major
  • Don't think that arrows are outdated
Finally don't think I can afford the sent. Any ideas what i can do with those 15 or so points?

There is. Maybe get carapace for your vets, this will keep them alive from those bolters so that they can blow something useful up...
Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet. - Dave Barry