News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: White Scars 2K can it be competative?  (Read 754 times)

Offline Belsibub

White Scars 2K can it be competative?
« on: September 4, 2011, 07:07:10 AM »
Ok I know that i will break the fluff by adding a dreadnought, so I put him in a droppod to make him faster
Please give me comments good or bad.
Is this a viable tourney list, I want to be competitive. It's hard with a White Scar army

Hq
Captain on bike
Relic blade, stormshield and artificer armour 190 points

ELITES
5 Terminators w TH and SS 200 points

Ironclad
Droppod 170 points

Troops
4 Bikes w 2 melta
Attack bike w multi melta 185 points

4 Bikes w 2 melta
Attack bike w multi melta 185 points

4 Bikes w 2 Plasmaguns
Attackbike w Heavy bolter 185 points

5 Bikes w 2 Flamers
Attackbike Heavy bolter 190 points

FAST
2 Landspeeder Typhoon 180 points

2 Landspeeder Typhoon 180 points

Heavy
1 Predator w autocannon and Heavy bolter 85 points

1 Predator w autocannon and Heavy bolter 85 points

Vindicator 115 points

Well thats it, got 15 points left and that will go to a power weapon in the flamer squad, I think.

« Last Edit: September 5, 2011, 09:16:54 AM by Belsibub »

Offline Azash76

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: White Scars 2K can it be competative?
« Reply #1 on: September 4, 2011, 09:20:14 PM »
White scar lists are quite effective. However a few things with your list.

Hq
Captain on bike
Relic blade, stormshield and artificer armour         190 points

For 15 more pts you can actually add Khan with Moondrakken giving your whole list the ability to outflank. Outflanking bikers are a vicious and scary thing.

ELITES
5 Terminators w TH and SS
Droppod                                                            235 points

Honestly I would drop the terminators altogether. First off you can't put termies in Drop Pods in CSM so you have to find some other way of getting them to the point of attack and that starts to screw up the rest of your list. Also you have Typhoons as heavy choices again not allowed in the CSM. I would drop the 4 "heavy" typhoons and replace them with 1 Vindie giving you 2. I would also drop the Dreadnaught since there is no other drop pods in the list now it's kind of a third wheel and will get cut down pretty easy.

With the points savings and adding in PF's for the sergeants in your biker squads and keeping the rest as is in your army I did this.

Total Roster Cost: 2000

HQ: Kor'sarro Khan (1#, 205 pts)

: Command Squad (5#, 310 pts)
     Company Champion,Thunder Hammer, Apothecary and SS x 4

Troops: Space Marine Bike Squad (6#, 235 pts)
   4 Space Marine Bike Squad Meltagun x2
      1 Attack Bike MM
      1 Sergeant PF

4 Space Marine Bike Squad Meltagun x2
      1 Attack Bike MM
      1 Sergeant PF

4 Space Marine Bike Squad Plasma gun x2 30
      1 Attack Bike pts HB
      1 Sergeant pts PF

Troops: Space Marine Bike Squad (7#, 230 pts)
   5 Space Marine Bike Squad Flamer x2
      1 Attack Bike HB
      1 Sergeant  PF

Fast Attack: Land Speeder Squadron (2#, 140 pts)
   2 Land Speeder Squadron HB x2 and MM x2

Fast Attack: Land Speeder Squadron (2#, 180 pts)
   2 Land Speeder Squadron Typhoon x2

Heavy Support: Vindicator (1#, 115 pts)
   1 Vindicator, 115 pts

Heavy Support: Vindicator (1#, 115 pts)
   1 Vindicator, 115 pts

You have the versatility to outflank and lob rounds down range with the Typhoons. If you can outflank with MM speeders bikers and Vindicators your going to do some serious damage.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2011, 09:22:59 PM by Azash76 »

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #2 on: September 4, 2011, 09:54:41 PM »
The speeders and vindicators cannot outflank as they do not have the combat tactics special rule.

Also in relation to the first list, terminators cannot take drop pods :(

Offline Belsibub

« Reply #3 on: September 5, 2011, 12:18:29 AM »
Hello
And thank you for your input.
I never thought that Termies couldnĀ“t take Droppod  8) Oh well 35 points to spend.

I have tried Typhoons erlier and I got to say that they are among my best units in the army, I would gladly add 2 more if I had the models.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #4 on: September 5, 2011, 06:33:44 AM »
You might like them but they're not heavy support choices and you can't take 4 squadrons of them.

The dreadnought has potential, mostly as a disruption unit to throw into the enemy to give them something to think about. Its unlikely to live long and will probably struggle to do much but aborbing a lot of early game firepower is pretty useful in itself.

Instead of the terminators why not consider a bike command squad? A couple of stormshields, a couple of  special weapons and some powerfists don't break the bank and with the captain in tow make for a unit that has a decent combat potential. Obviously don't run head on into a huge unit of thunderwolves but finishing off things that are being difficult to finish off with firepower is worth having.
If you consider using the Feel No Pain in the command squad as an alternative for the artificer armour and stormshield on the captain you get to save some points to shuffle around without losing much toughness on him.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Mr Draken

• Armies: Saim-Hann, White Scars, Space Wolves, Catachans.
« Reply #5 on: September 5, 2011, 06:45:33 AM »
The speeders and vindicators cannot outflank as they do not have the combat tactics special rule.

Sorry but this is wrong they CAN outflank, it gives your entire army the ability to outflank, not just those with combat tactics
Carpe Diem Baby...

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #6 on: September 5, 2011, 06:56:35 AM »
Sorry but this is wrong they CAN outflank, it gives your entire army the ability to outflank, not just those with combat tactics

If you check page 94 of your copy of Codex Space Marines you'll see that in Khan's chapter tactics special rule it states that units with Combat Tactics exchange it for the ability to outflank.

Then if you check the entries for Land Speeders and Vindicators you will see that these units do not have Combat Tactics.

This means they cannot exchange it for outflank.

This means they cannot outflank.

Please be sure to check rules before correcting people as it can easily result in confusing the situation. You're probably thinking of Vulkan's version which does apply the bonus to units without Combat Tactics but this is because it is worded very differently. :)
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Belsibub

« Reply #7 on: September 5, 2011, 09:17:30 AM »
Edit my list, since i got many typooos :P

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #8 on: September 5, 2011, 10:50:06 AM »
Edit my list, since i got many typooos :P

Buy a homing beacon for the pod, that way you can deep strike the termies next to it.

Offline Azash76

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: September 5, 2011, 02:45:24 PM »
If your going with the Pred's try an Autocannon w/ lascannon sponson's. The whole tank then has a uniform range and it works really good for armor popping only ends up costing you 120 each.

If you want to use them for Anti infantry I would go ahead and use Whirlwinds instead. Sure you lose two str 7 shots but they were only ap 5 and the whirlwind is hands down the best anti infantry piece in the game (for non MEQ) they would compliment your vindicator as well. The ability to stay out of your opponents line of site while firing is huge.
« Last Edit: September 5, 2011, 02:48:10 PM by Azash76 »

Offline Belsibub

« Reply #10 on: September 5, 2011, 03:52:18 PM »
Yeah I have been thinking about whirlwind...