News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Project: building a modular terrain for use with both fantasy and 40k.  (Read 2354 times)

Offline _Psyche

Hey there!

I've recently decided I'd start building a "semi" modular terrain, for use with Fantasy and 40k.

I'm going for a very basic layout - going to have one river crossing over a basic battlemat terrain, two bridges crossing it, and going to fill the rest up with the odd modular hill and buldings.

So far I've bought a "Fantasy Chapel", one of the new GW models - figured that'd be just as good, instead of making one myself :) I've also bought said battlemat, and going to find something for the water effects.

The battlemat is 100cm x 70/75 cm (can't quite remember), and my board-foundation is a bit bigger, so going to fill the space with a few mountain slopes / hills / flocking around the edges.

So far I've taken just a few photoes of my progress - more to come once it starts looking "good" ;

(just added urls for my pictures, to photobucket)

A picture of my wooden board, so you can get an impression of its size:
http://s713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/atveit_123/?action=view&current=DSC00526.jpg

Preparing to cut out edges along my planned river:
http://s713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/atveit_123/?action=view&current=DSC00527.jpg

Basic river shape cut out on both sides:
http://s713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/atveit_123/?action=view&current=DSC00528.jpg

Basic river shape on the board, so you get the picture:
http://s713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/atveit_123/?action=view&current=DSC00528.jpg

I'm going to make two modular brigdes ( both Fantasy and 40k ), for use with each type of game I will play there :) Also planning to make a rock formation, and some hills :)

Btw, how would you suggest I go by gluing my foamboards to the wooden board? PVA, does that work OK?

Any tips and hints are always welcome :D

More pictures to come as I progress! :)

**** Small UPDATE 30/03 ****

Laid down some foundation, took a brief picture of it;

Dunno how much you can make of it, was all I had time for.

Almost done painting a Chapel (bought, the new GW terrain pieces, looks quite nice, and was cheap) , I'll shoot some pictures of that later on.

Going to create some "stationary" hills on the table hopefully tonight - going to use "foam-on-a-can", if that makes sence :) Then I'm going to basically spray the whole thing with Roughcoat, Codex Grey textured paint, before I create my river and glue down the grass mat.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 06:06:37 AM by _Psyche »

Offline IGBunker (-Hela - Finnail-)

• Ork Boy | Infinity Circuit
  • Fear not the death Brothers.forshe is old and slow
looks great so far, ill be keeping my eye on this one for sure!
Guant "Men on tanith do you wish to live forever!?!"

Formaly and now know as Hela- Finnail

W/L/D since Oct 2010
Saim hann eldar- 4-0-1
Trench guard- (On hold)
Guard armoured company- 1-0-0

Offline _Psyche

Thanks mate :)

It is actually 90% done, just haven't really bothered posting any pictures lately due to the lack of interest my post has created :p

I've found out that the terrain turned out to be far to small. 500 pts x2 is tops for what you can play on it, before it gets too crowded (almost too small for x2 500 pts armies), but hey, it taught me a few lessons ;)

Offline IGBunker (-Hela - Finnail-)

• Ork Boy | Infinity Circuit
  • Fear not the death Brothers.forshe is old and slow
post some more pictures mate, im sure more people will comment on finished products.

cheers mate
Guant "Men on tanith do you wish to live forever!?!"

Formaly and now know as Hela- Finnail

W/L/D since Oct 2010
Saim hann eldar- 4-0-1
Trench guard- (On hold)
Guard armoured company- 1-0-0