News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500pt Hóstgä Ightninglé craftworld list (Tourny) Under Review  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Xebadir

• Eldar for life
Hi all,

Decided that this list im painting for an upcoming tourny deserved a bit more scrutiny after a fairly heavy playing of it. To give you an idea of the theme im trying to get here: when altansar had been pulled into the EoT what was to say that there wasnt another craftworld that had also passed into this hellish realm, doomed to float among the crone worlds, perhaps abandonned through the webway.

Im aiming to lodge this as part of my tournament fluff as a rune translation by imperial sources, it still needs work:

During Abaddon's 13th crusade against the Cadian gate the Ulthwe craftworld sent out numerous strike forces to launch precision hits against the oncoming tide of chaos. These strike forces moved through the dangerous remenants of the webway, guided by small seer councils, and given the treacherous and unfathomable depths of the catacombs it was nearly inevitable that something would go wrong...

On a whim of Eldrad Ulthran the young farseer Amakyshoranaea (Blood ruby of the night shore) was put in charge of one such strike force and with her warlocks ordered to conduct a strike upon the forces of chaos. Highly unusual as it was for a lone farseer to lead such a force, few questioned the guidance of Eldrad such was his prowess at plumbing the depths of the future. The guidance of Eldrad's aged warlock Hlae-Lyhar (Wise wolf) was thought by others to allow this special task. Their trip through the webway was uneventful, that was until they found themselves lost within the depths of the catacombs, a result of the young farseer's loss in concerntration. It was not until Hlae-Lyhar felt the taint of the dark kin that they realised, and by then it was too late: they had ventured too close to that hellish city of Commoragh. When the mandrakes and incubi struck pure havoc ensured, and the bloody conflict between the former kin saw slaughter in the dark as weapons fired blindly into the darkness. What was missed was the wound the Amakyshoranaea, a poisoned blade slipping between the runes of her armour, only when Hlae-Lyhar saw their leader dead did he lead his kin to flee from those raiders who imprisoned those who could not escape. A depleted shell of a strike force remained, with battered weapons, warwalkers and wounds to many of the black guardians. The farseer barely clung to life, and with reckless abandon the force plunged through the dark catacombs away from the cursed city. As days turned to weeks no exit was found, and slowly those who were wounded died. It was only by the stumble of an injured guardian that they found a way out from those hellish realms, and Hlae-Lyhar lead those who remained out into the open...of an ancient craftworld.

Knowing how little time he had to save the farseer, Hlae-Lyhar searched for the dome of the crystal seers and found within it the crystal form of a single ancient looking farseer. Reaching out into the infinity circuit, Hlae-Lyhar searched for this farseers concious...but within it the taint of Chaos lurked. Finally a soul clung to him and spoke sagely to him: 'To save your seer she must be entombed here' Knowing that he must let Amakyshoranaea become part of this tainted craftworld to save them all Hlae-Lyhar willed the wraithbone to crystalise around her, and she lay peacefully.

As the farseer was left to join the infinity circuit those of the strike force began to search this deserted craftworld. Within it lay ancient armour and weapons long since replaced or improved, aspect shrines to death, fire, the sting of the spider, speed. Few vehicles however remained, an ancient a lone wraithlord shell stood dormant near the entrance to the chamber, while a single faolchu remained far at the end of the vehicle chamber, its weapons removed. The wraithbone of the craftworld itself was found to be darkened from its time in the eye of terror, lightning along its surface being the only display that it retained its psychotropic form, and gradually the armour of those who came to this dead place began to darken and wear .

Inquisitorial report on rune translation:
What made these eldar remain on  this forsaken craftworld deep within the eye of terror remains unknown, perhaps the taint of chaos draws them closer to the tendrils of slaanesh. They seek to retrieve this ancient construct from the eye of terror  and allow the eldar race to once again rise. The entombment of their seer has meant that the psychic echo in the warp of the survivors has been dulled enough to escape detection in the crone worlds within the eye of terror, and their battling daemons. Like Altansar their survival in the eye of terror leads other eldar to be suspcious and thus their numbers in battle remain few. Their limited numbers lead them to be far more resourceful and precise than other eldar, striking from the shadows at speed. This tendency to strike without warning and dark lightning spattered armour has lead them to be named 'Hóstgä Ightninglé' (trans-the ghostly lightning) .

Special notes about the 'Ightninglé Hóstgä':
Skimmers are a rare commodity for these few remaining former warriors of the Ulthwe, and as such are rarely used in small forces. Tanks form a 0-1 Choice for heavy support and no more than 1 transport may additionally be taken in any force under 2000 points.
Since the craftworld was founded forces from there have stumbled across outcasts from the path, pathfinders and the lost. As such their numbers are bolstered by rangers(those newly arrived) and pathfinders.
Only limited aspects are available to the craftworld and in small numbers as the black guardians who now act in this role are few in number and not as proficient. A force may select Warp Spiders, Howling Banshees(ulthwe origin), Dark Reapers(ulthwe origin), Swooping Hawks, Fire dragons.
Light scouting warwalkers and jetbikes are compulsory choices for this force.
Harliequins do assist this craftworld and guide them through the webway, however in forces less than 1500points their presence is uncommon. They may not be selected below this points level.
At least one unit of guardians must be taken as a compulsory troops choice. This is to represent the ulthwe strike force origins.

HQ Notes:
The crystaline seer: As Amakyshoranaea becomes at one with the ancient craftworld her body incorporates more and more wraithbone. As such she draws the strength of the ancient farseer into her body. In times of desperate need she is carried to the battlefield to lead the force as a powerful farseer: She must always take spirits stones to represent this influence. In games above 2000 points she may count as Eldrad if special characters are allowed. In games below this points level she counts as a normal farseer.

Hlae-Lyhar must be taken in any army from the craftworld either as company to the crystaline seer or as part of the compulsory guardian unit. In games with a wraithlord he may count as a spiritseer given his experience and understanding of the psychic domain.

The Autarch: An exarch of great experience of the warp spiders, he now leads small forces of the craftworld as a tactician of the swift critical strike. He must be equipped with warpspider generators and a power weapon with other choices optional as normal.

The List: (Please note I have yet to name the units):

1 Autarch (HQ) @ 125 Pts
     Forceshield; Warp Jump Generator; Mandiblasters; Power Weapon; Shuriken
     Pistol; Fusion Gun; Haywire Grenades; Plasma Grenades

7 Howling Banshees (Elites) @ 150 Pts
     Power Weapon; Shuriken Pistol; Banshee Mask
     1 Exarch @ [38] Pts
          Executioner; Shuriken Pistol; Banshee Mask

5 Rangers (Troops) @ 120 Pts
     Pathfinder; Shuriken Pistol; Ranger Long Rifle

5 Rangers (Troops) @ 95 Pts
     Shuriken Pistol; Ranger Long Rifle

6 Guardian Jetbike Squadron (Troops) @ 152 Pts
     Shuriken Pistol; Linked Shuriken Catapults (x4); Shuriken Cannon (x2)

8 Guardian Defender Squad (Troops) @ 125 Pts
     Shuriken Catapult
 2 Grav Platform & Crew
          Shuriken Catapult (x2); Shuriken Cannon (x1)
1 Warlock Rune armour; Shuriken Pistol Conceal

5 Swooping Hawks (Fast Attack) @ 168 Pts
     Grenade Pack; Swooping Hawk Wings; Lasblaster; Haywire Grenades; Plasma
     Grenades
     1 Exarch
          Grenade Pack; Swooping Hawk Wings; Power Weapon; Sunrifle; Haywire
          Grenades; Plasma Grenades
          Intercept

7 Warp Spiders (Fast Attack) @ 218 Pts
     Deathspinner
     1 Exarch
          PowerBlades; 2 Deathspinners
          Withdraw

3 Dark Reapers (Heavy Support) @ 182 Pts
     Reaper Launcher
     1 Exarch
          Missile Launcher
          Fast Shot

1 War Walker (Heavy Support) @ 40 Pts
     Front Armour: 10; Side Armour: 10; Rear Armour: 10; Left Shuriken Cannon
     (x1); Right Shuriken Cannon (x1)

1 Fire Prism (Heavy Support) @ 125 Pts
     Linked Shuriken Catapults; Prism Cannon
     Spirit Stone

Models in Army: 56
Total Army Cost: 1500
8% HQ
10% Elites
32% Troops
25% Fast
23% Heavy

This army is biased towards the footslogger side given the fluff above, and I shall be submitting it for formal review as well.

Any comments would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 03:48:41 AM by Xebadir »
Ulthwe: 3500 pts
Painting Desk: 2 farseers 3 warlocks
                        Wave Serpents x 2
                        Dark Reapers

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
Re: 1500pt Hóstgä Ightninglé craftworld list (Tourny)
« Reply #1 on: May 5, 2008, 06:27:40 AM »
I like the effort you have gone to, and am reserving a spot for review of this thread. If seeking a formal review in the future please add the words "for critique" or "for review" to the title; it will help our scouts to see it more clearly.

I'll send you a PM [private message] once the review is complete.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2008, 06:28:49 AM by Gutstikk »

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #2 on: May 5, 2008, 06:36:48 AM »
1 Autarch (HQ) @ 125 Pts:      Warp Jump Generator; Mandiblasters; Power Weapon; Shuriken Pistol; Fusion Gun

7 Howling Banshees (Elites) @ 150 Pts:    1 Exarch; Executioner

5 Rangers (Troops) @ 120 Pts:     Pathfinders;

5 Rangers (Troops) @ 95 Pts:     

6 Guardian Jetbike Squadron (Troops) @ 152 Pts:     Shuriken Cannon (x2)

8 Guardian Defender Squad (Troops) @ 125 Pts:     2 Grav Platform & Crew; Shuriken Cannon (x1) 1 Warlock with Conceal

5 Swooping Hawks (Fast Attack) @ 168 Pts:     1 Exarch; Sunrifle; Intercept

7 Warp Spiders (Fast Attack) @ 218 Pts:      Exarch, PowerBlades; 2 Deathspinners, Withdraw

3 Dark Reapers (Heavy Support) @ 182 Pts:    1 Exarch  Missile Launcher, Fast Shot

1 War Walker (Heavy Support) @ 40 Pts: Shuriken Cannon (x2)

1 Fire Prism (Heavy Support) @ 125 Pts: Prism Cannon; Spirit Stone.

Models in Army: 56
Total Army Cost: 1500
8% HQ
10% Elites
32% Troops
25% Fast
23% Heavy

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential: The Hawks, Prism, and a few supporting unit will take care of most things... but I would think that an EML on the Guardians  and WarWalker would be better than the Shuri-cans, for more than just the added Anti-tank potential, as well as an easy Singing Spear added, . Anyway, Overall I would say that your anti-tank is about Average (.6)
2.. Anti-MEQ potential: Well the DR wont hurt, Either wil the Banshee's and masses of firepower. The issue I see for you is getting it all to work together on MEQ's as they can be fast.... This is a tactical issue though, not a config issue and just something for you to think about, as the potential is there, Good (.8 )
3.. Anti-Horde potential: Another place where those EML's wouldn't hurt... otherwise its about Average (.6 )
4.. Ranged Firepower potential: Wow, thos few EML's would just keep helping out, although I think you do have a fair amount of Ranged firepower already, so overall this department is already Above Average (.7)
5.. Assault potential: Banshee's, and a couple of Holding or Supporting options does not make for great assault potential, this are could deffinately use work; but this would a take away from your shooting style of the army, Thus although I see this as being low, I wouldn't neccesarily change it, so overall its Average (.6)
6.. Scoring Units / point level: 10 Scoring units @ 1500pts is Excellent (1)
7.. Durability or Resilience: It actually a decent mix for durability; but you will need to use terrain and such. And once again those EML's would give you better range and thus more resilience, but overall its still Good (.8 )
8.. Flexibility: You will have trouble with fast opponents, ranged opponents, and such... I don't se this as being an "All Comers" list as yet; but I do see it developing into it very easily. Overall I think its just Average (.6)
9.. Mission Capability: I don't see any mission spacific issues so overall I would say Very Good (.9)
10. Dynamics and/or Theme: I do see a few issues with certian things working well together, but overall its deffinately interesting and looks fun and that it could work, thus I rate it as Good (.8 )

Rating = 7.4/10 Others may score it differently, but at present I see this as more of a Fun list than a Tournament list as there are units that can still be tweeked for better efficiency (more than just the EML issue I spoke of). Oh and although I don't often comment on "Fluff" its actually one of my favoured parts of the game, and your story line is very nice, so Well Done on that too. I re-worked your list to show the pertinent detail easier, and I must say that you Composition Score should be very high, as this list is very balanced overall. I also hope this helps you out, thanks for the PM and if you want any more suggestions and/or comments to go with the rating, please don't hesititate to PM me or ask in here.

CaHG
« Last Edit: May 5, 2008, 07:09:31 AM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #3 on: May 5, 2008, 08:52:16 AM »
Space reserved for review.
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline YuenglingDragon

• Lazerous Penguin
  • I'm a beer dragon!
« Reply #4 on: May 5, 2008, 05:30:25 PM »
Full disclosure: Though I am an experienced player, I've used my Eldar very infrequently since the new Codex.

I think that you've done a very nice job fitting in an impressive number of scoring units into 1500 points.  As Moc noted, well done.  However, I think that in erring on the side of a high number of units you have shortchanged yourself on highly efficient units.  EML's in place of the Shuriken Cannons in the Guardian squad and on the War Walker would be pretty awesome.  They so damn versatile.  I might also consider Embolden for the Guardians.  If they can find a piece of cover it'll do the same thing as Conceal.
Proposition beslubber wins by a landslide!  I'm the 2008 Space Marine poster of the year.

Don't listen to the drunk dragon...

Offline Xebadir

• Eldar for life
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 07:25:56 PM »
I've taken this army out to play a couple of games so far:

First game was against marines (I will eventually write a battle report) and saw my opponent concede at the end of my turn 2 (i went second) with only a scout squad left of his scoring units. Out of my entire army I had lost 2 warp spiders, my war walker, a dark reaper and 4 swooping hawks. Ill admit that the list he played was weak, but it still was a slaughter. Secure and control mission

Second game was against nurgle CSMs (dang tough buggers), and saw my opponent concede in his turn 3 after his deepstriking terminators scattered straight into my warp spiders and died with his lord. The warwalker took out a defiler my first turn and a rhino, and the gentleman only had left a single squad of 6 marines otherwise. Losses included my dark reaper exarch, 2 guardians and 5 banshees (mind you the girls did kill a full raptor squad and 2 obliterators) and i think 1 warp spider. Even though the marines had FNP they still struggled to survive the onslaught.

Interestingly both opponents commented that the list was not overpowered, rather well used and balanced...so I guess thats a good thing. Things they mentioned to affect my comp were: under 40% troops (about 33%) and 3 heavy support choices may see me penalised. So im pretty happy with that: they believe I would generally score medium - good comp depending on the opponent.
                        Wave Serpents x 2
                        Dark Reapers

Offline Xebadir

• Eldar for life
Re: 1500pt Hóstgä Ightninglé craftworld list (Tourny) Under Review
« Reply #6 on: June 9, 2008, 03:40:48 AM »
So the tournament has been and gone. I failed to finish the complete army of my own, despite the assistance of a mate on the last night until 1am. Ended up taking Harlequins to replace banshees(3 kisses, shadowseer, DJ), dropping one unit of pathfinders back to rangers and removing the spirit stones off the warwalker.

My end result was 22nd out of 68 with 2 wins, 3 losses (all high scoring though). Very happy with the performance in my first tourny, and will hopefully get a report up.
                        Wave Serpents x 2
                        Dark Reapers

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: 1500pt Hóstgä Ightninglé craftworld list (Tourny) Under Review
« Reply #7 on: June 9, 2008, 07:26:18 AM »
Don't double post, just use the modify button.

I cangratulate you on your victories, your placing and most importantly on your involvement in the tourny... I hope you had fun and learned a little, as I forwarned you of some of the lists flaws... Too bad about the Banshee's (not getting done, etc) and I actually think some of those changes made your list weaker.. as teh army synergy was effected as well as other things..

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering