News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Artcore's Army Diary - Ultramarines  (Read 27218 times)

Offline Artcore

• "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever"
    • My jazz combo: Starlight Jazz Trio
  • Armies: Ultra Marines
Artcore's Army Diary - Ultramarines
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:59:24 AM »
A few years ago I was collecting a WHF Skaven army and was active on a forum where lots of people started a topic on the collecting, painting and overall progress of their armies. I couldn't find any army diaries on this forum but decided to start one anyway.
The idea is post some pics of the models I'm working on and have finished painting so everyone who's interested can follow the development of my Ultramarines Army.

I've played and collected Warhammer Fantasy since '93. At this time it was really about loading your general with the best combo of magic items and win the game. But I liked painting mostly. Between '96 and '05 I didn't touch any GW models, but picked it up once my brother picked it up and we discovered the game had become way more balanced and troops were important again. So I collected Skaven and Chaos mortals & deamons.

Never was into 40,000 though. Till a month ago when I read a 40k battle report (ultra vs orks) and saw how nice the models were. Went to the shop to get a few guys (devastator squad); just for painting.
But the battle report also got me interested in the game and soon I wanted to have my own army. Played a demo game in the GW store and liked it very much!
Last week I got the SM Codex and the Assault on Black Reach box so I'm busy understanding the rules and how to make an army list.

Here's a list of what I have/painted/want:

Finished painting:
-1 devastator squad (5)
-1 rhino
-2 sergeants
-7 SM w/bolters, 1 w/flamer

To do:
-5 scouts w/snipers
-1 dred (almost done)
-captain
-8 SM
-5 terminators

To buy:
-another dred
-another rhino
-a few SM's to complete my 2nd tac.sq.
-predator and/or vindicator

I try to force myself not to buy any more models till I'm almost finished with the ones I have. The terminators are low priority though since I don't plan to use them in my first games.

Hopefully I can play some small games next week!

Offline Artcore

Re: Artcore's Army Diary - Ultramarines
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 10:19:12 AM »
> All links to the 40KO Gallery don't work anymore so I removed most of them. More recent posts have working images. <

Here are some pictures of my stuff.

First 40k painting ever. Devastators:

And I just finished my first complete Tactical Squad:

The pictures are not so good now... taken with my phone. Hope to make some better pictures soon when I get my camera back from my girlfriend.

The dred is almost finished and I enjoy painting him. The idea of having an ancient dead warrior controlling this big robot killing machine is awesome.

Thanks for reading and hope you like it  8)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:25:17 AM by Artcore »

Offline Insanator

• Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery
    • my photo bucket
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 04:08:59 PM »
Nice looking army, but the pictures from the 'two metal sergeants' and lower aren't being shown. It says that I am not allowed to view those files and to make sure that I am connected to the server.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds.

Offline Paraplegic

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 04:12:48 PM »
Your dev squad is very nicely painted but in terms of actual game play, I would try to streamline the weapons, an 8 man squad with 4 X ML is a good unit on the battlefield. Your tactical squads could always use the other heavy weapons ^^.

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 04:30:06 PM »
Painting is really nice. Neat, crisp and striking. It's not *exactly* Ultramarines (you've use a lot more red, especially on vents, knees, and heads), but that makes it better IMO.

Three things, though.
1) Your painting is fantastic, but the Devastator Sergeant is a bit of a let down in terms of his big lamp thing. The red is good, but there are wires and a bulb in there that haven't really been picked out when I think they should have. Also, the blue-headed Veteran sarge (lovely models, btw) should have some sort of writing on his chestplate. You definitely look handy with a brush. I think a Romanesque name to fill out that gold would be brilliant. At the moment it just looks... empty..
2) Your Rhino door is on backwards ;). I like the bootprints (I assume they're bootprints) on it, though.
3) Your Devastators squad (again, looks pretty), isn't really combat optimal. You've got no spare bodies to absorb incoming fire, and that Powerfist (while awesome) isn't going to see a lot of combat. If it does, you're in trouble. ;)

Of course, these are just minor things. On the whole they look immense. I particularly like the Squad marking on the Rhino hatch, and the way the red breaks up those Marines.

Offline Algavinn of the Many Paths

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Stockholm syndrome is a great way to pickup chicks
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 06:50:43 PM »
It's definitely a good start!  Your painting is very neat and crisp, and is done quite well.  I agree that there are some details that could be done to really add a lot more depth and complexity to your models; such as the details listed above, as well as some of the skulls on helmets/guns (I do these in various whites or metallics), buttons and coils (such as the bits on the backpack that you see from the front, right behind the head, I use two different brighter colours and then metallics on the tubes).

Also the rhino looks good as well, but I would add some appropriate decals, maybe some purity seals on certain locations (on my bigger tanks I usually have them on weapon housings or the engines).

Again, nothing wrong with any of it (aside from the rhino door...).  It's a lovely thing about marines, you can start very simple, but can go miles into detailing and personalizing your minis with small conversions, weathering, and a good eye for detail.

Keep it up.
The 40k0 projects are constantly looking for contributors and editors.  If you feel up to the job, PM me for info.

Join us in the new General Tactics and Strategy forum: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?board=115.0

Slaughtering Mon Keigh and reclaiming the galaxy since 1992

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 12:02:54 PM »
I know what you mean.  I started my ultramarine army as something fun to paint and not be crazy anal about, but after I finished my first unit I just went crazy into detail, without using any difficult techniques but still ones that take time.  I routinely use highlighting, weathering, glow effects, shading, and full painting of detail.  Granted my lsat plasma cannon marine took me some 8 hours probably.
The 40k0 projects are constantly looking for contributors and editors.  If you feel up to the job, PM me for info.

Join us in the new General Tactics and Strategy forum: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?board=115.0

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
  • If all else fails, roll more dice!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 09:24:07 PM »
Really nice looking models.  I have no criticisms since they're better than my models.   :P

It still looks like Ultramarines right?
The red accents look excellent.  They are still very ultra, no worries.  I'd focus on knocking out 2 full tac squads since they're the least interesting models to paint(imo) and you don't need more than that for most lists.

The footprints on the rhino door are a nice touch.

Batreps        Ork Models      Painting Blog

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 02:44:13 AM »
What did you use for your gold trim, by the way?

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 08:52:21 PM »
Aye, I like it very much.  I just did shinning gold with highlights/chipping of 75% mithril silver 25% shinning gold, and I think I like yours better, it just has a much deeper colour that doesn't seem to be such an overpowering 'bling', though I am still satisfied with my method.

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: May 1, 2009, 02:02:09 PM »
I don't really have a distinct picture of it.  I have a WIP thread in the painting forum that shows my army, or in the space marine gallery (added yesterday or such), though they don't give enough detail probably.  Really its just shinning gold with the edges in that mixture of mithril+gold, though not on every bit of the edges to show that it's not just highlighting, but also kind of a weathered looked where the gilding has started to come off.

You seem to be having a problem with your hosting site, the last two posts that you tried to post pictures in havent worked.

Offline Artcore

« Reply #11 on: May 1, 2009, 02:46:08 PM »
Yeah I noticed your pics of a dred and a predator, really nice paint job!

Do the pictures work now? I just put them in the gallery and then use the link in my post but apparently it doesn't work?

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: May 1, 2009, 03:34:17 PM »
Danke!  I'm thinking they'll both look damn nice once I do weathering, detailing, and finish highlighting.  I'm pretty satisfied with them (I also need to paint up my black reach dread or just modify the melta arm so that I'll use it... All of my lists have a drop pod multi-melta+flamer dread at the moment).

The second one that you type out linked in the first of the last two picture posts works (the one from the gallery) but the rest don't, no.

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: May 2, 2009, 03:27:49 PM »
"Sorry, you are not allowed to view this file.  Make sure you are connected to the server."

Offline Sheepz

• Ancient
« Reply #14 on: May 4, 2009, 07:11:09 PM »
I think the Scouts need some colour on their goggles and scopes. Also the piping that runs from the rifle. Marines are looking good, as ever.

Offline Artcore

« Reply #15 on: May 5, 2009, 09:17:18 AM »
@ Sheepz: I did colour the goggles and scopes green but I guess the picture is not so good. I'll make some better pictures when the squad is finished.

Still painting the captain (don't want to rush it) and started to paint some terminators:

http://www.40konline.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=3407

Offline Sheepz

• Ancient
« Reply #16 on: May 5, 2009, 07:17:14 PM »
If you haven't already done so, some form of brown wash on the Crux Terminatus (The gold bits on their shoulders, essentially) might bring out more detail. Also drill their storm-bolters out. Your painting is fantastic, but it's let down by the end of the gun (which is not your fault).

Offline Artcore

« Reply #17 on: May 6, 2009, 01:14:14 PM »
My first Dreadnought:

« Last Edit: April 4, 2010, 10:06:29 AM by Artcore »

Offline Sheepz

• Ancient
« Reply #18 on: May 7, 2009, 10:09:34 AM »
Very nice work.

And I know I should buy a small drill to make some holes in the guns. When you start painting these AoBR models you discover they are of less quality than the other GW models..

While they are slightly less quality, I don't think any of the Marine kits (multipart Terminators included) have drilled out gunbarrels. Except for the Devastators. You would have the same problem for normal termies, which is a shame.

Offline Paraplegic

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: May 9, 2009, 10:08:02 AM »
I would drill holes into the ends of the sniper rifles ^^.