News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Idea for Chaos Space Marine Chapter  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Jack Straw From Wichita

Idea for Chaos Space Marine Chapter
« on: June 23, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »
I have an idea that I would like some feedback and input on about creating a Chaos Space Marine Chapter.  The basic Idea is a that a planet system has become infested with a Chaos Chapter.  When the Imperium investigates they find a small (around 100 men strong) Space Marine force fighting against the Chaos forces in the name of the emperor.  The imperial officials question the space marines and they find out that both forces have come from alternate reality where Horus killed the emperor and took over as ruler of mankind.  Chaos has corrupted all of their galaxy and Horus builds an empire around the worship of the chaos gods.  The only stable place in the galaxy that is not overrun with chaos is a small place called "The eye of Salvation".  This is where the last remaining forces that were still loyal to the emperor fled to after the Horus Heresy and the death of the emperor. The space marines that live here are referred to as Purist Marines.  The Purist Marines and people that populate this sanctuary occasionally strike out at passing ships and systems that are close by and have tried an all out invasion to reclaim the galaxy in the name of the emperor a few times.  A strike force of Purist Marines was tracking the actions of a Chaos Chapter and they both were pulled into a warp storm and thrown out into what we know as the 40k universe. 

The Chaos Chapter doesn't realize they are in a different reality.  They were on a mission to a system that hasn't been explored and little is known about.  When they come out of the storm, they encountered the PDF of the system they invaded and realized something wasn't right because these purist rebels were very well organized and equipped.  They come into contact with a small group of chaos worshipers and a few chaos marines (from our 40k reality) and they realize what has happened.  The small chaos group tells the Chaos Chapter Master all about the Horus Heresy and how the Emperor is still alive.  The Chaos Chapter Master decides to rebuild his chapter here in our reality and raise a Chaos army the likes of which haven't been seen since the Horus Heresy.  They begin to build an chaos empire and recruit for his Chaos Chapter and their "Horus Guard" (like our imperail guard).  They also get into contact with some other groups of renegade guardsmen and chaos marines and convince them to take up arms with them.   It's only after the Purist Marines encounter  the forces of the Imperail Guard that were sent to investigate what was going on in the system are they told about their mishap and how they are in a different reality.  The purist marines love the idea of fighting for the emperor in a reality where the imperium is withstanding the forces of chaos.  The Imperium needs the intelligence these purist marines have so they can better fight against the chaos chapter.

So that is the basic idea behind what I'm thinking.  What do you guys think?  Is this too far out there or does it seem interesting?  I was thinking about maybe having the "Eye of Salvation" be a place not for only humans and have a very very small population of eldar and tau inhabit a planet or two.  They wouldn't be allies really just more along the lines of they are allowed to survive because everyone is so busy fighting chaos. Thoughts?

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Re: Idea for Chaos Space Marine Chapter
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:54:29 PM »
I would personally say that while the idea is interesting - if not entirely fitting to the 40k background (ie. what would power this eye of salvation, etc.) - I would strongly suggest in that case keeping it separate from the official 40k universe.

You might have heard of something called the Dornian Heresy - a fan-interpretation of what would have happened if the loyalist legions had gone traitor, and the traitor legions had remained loyal. It is an interesting piece of fiction, and works well because it does not pretend to be connected to the mainstream fluff, but creates its very own reality.

Offline Jack Straw From Wichita

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 01:33:53 PM »
I have heard of it and I read a little about it.  I understand what you are saying in that the Dornian Heresy idea works very well because it's totally separated from our normal 40k universe.  The focus of what I was wanting to do is have these two forces in a place where everything they know and understand is not only different, but completely opposite.  For example, imagine the thoughts of the purist marines when the cross over and realize the emperor is still alive (somewhat anyway) and that he killed horus.  I understand why a lot of people may think the idea is too much but I'm not talking about rewriting the entire 40k history as we know it.  This would only focus on these two groups that have been transported to our 40k universe. 

Offline ZephyrRey

• Ave Dominus Nox. Also, I ride for Doomthumbs.
« Reply #3 on: July 3, 2011, 11:59:59 PM »
well from a modelling standpoint I hardly think that this will change anything.  The purist marines will still be space marines with purity seals and the like, and the chaos marines will still be, well, chaos.
The idea is an interesting one, and works for fluff, I suppose, but where do you intend to take it?