News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Civil War on Ivalyo VII - A Place To Call Our Own  (Read 10589 times)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Civil War on Ivalyo VII - A Place To Call Our Own
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2013, 10:07:18 PM »
[ooc]

Works for me. As a GM I believe that people should have as much control of their characters as they can, and if they wish to go out in a blaze of glory... well... we're about to start another adventure anyhow. There's time to roll up a new character. Anything short of instant death would just be a flesh wound anyhow. ;)

Non-coms might be different on the two sides of the pond. Having absolutely no military background, and grateful that others are willing to be shot at on my behalf, I have no idea.

You're welcome to swing a big dick, so to speak, but all orders contrary to Acer's require an opposed Ld check. The Ambrasians might go Catachan on an overly executiony Commissar, if my limited fluff knowledge serves. Believe it or not, I have a test to take for every execution you make. It becomes exponentially more risky to your health, every time. :D Same goes for anyone that does something "traitorous", that goes against the Ambrasian Regiment, but that's mostly for NPC's, and I don't expect it will likely play out in game. That said, both Madigan and Thantos have accrued a single [non-dangerous] point, for destroying the bunkers. You'll accrue a single, non-dangerous point, should you decide to execute Thantos.

The formula, for anyone that's interested, is number of "infractions" squared. If I roll that number or less on 4d6... bad things happen. I can't roll a 1 or less on 4d6. 4 on 4d6 is remarkably unlikely. 9 or less on 4d6 is pressing your luck. Around 4 "infractions", you'd need to roll 17+ on 4d6 to survive. You're just too dangerous to keep around. At 5+... well... If you Hail Mary for a 24, you get to live. ;)

[/ooc]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 10:24:56 PM by GreatBigTree »

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
Well, there's a whole lot going on, and speed has an effect. Opposed initiative rolls for everybody!

8: Oxnard
8: Haltius
7: The Grenadiers
7: Madigan
6: Cassie
6: Thantos
6: The Immolator
5: Acer
5: The Commandant
5: Kriegsmen
4: Devildog

I don't think I'll bother with pictures, this time. I'm rolling dice, and PM's will be out shortly! This will be the order that activities are resolved... if you want to work that into your replies!

Offline ranger_scout

• For the Emperor and the Imperium!
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2013, 07:37:29 PM »
the ramp slammed down again with a thud form the back of the end of the chimera.  Haltius ran out towards the demolisher like he said he was going to running though the ruins and then climbing onto the back of Thantos demolisher as it was slowly turning in the ruins.  On top he was going to open the hatch but saw the flame troop skirmishing of with wide washes of fire to the hell hounds sergeant.  Already with his chain sword and bolter in hand he quickly fireed a bolt at the chaos flame trooper hitting him in the back of the promethium tank.  He burst into a fiery death in front of the sergeant flames spitting out for two meters of orange and yellow extreme heat leaving only a burning body lying in the grass near the Sergent.  Haltius hoped he saved the life of that guardsmen...

Not much more than a second after his shot rang out from on top of the demolisher the same vicious veteran crew his squad has been skirmishing with all game laid into him!  Las rounds form there chaotic champion and his trooper rang out in the air red lasers flying around Haltius.  One hit him in the left thigh and brought him down onto his knee holding him self up with the chain sword pointing onto the tanks turret. Looking up to aim and return fire he brought up his bolter in agonizing pain he saw the grenade luncher trooper slap the tube closed and a small fire ball as the tube was lunched from the hip.  Sailing though the air at a speed that is normally invisible to men Haltius saw the round coming as everything became slow.  The shot was perfect sailing though the air right at the centre of the black clad Commissars exposed golden breast plate.  It hit the breast plate with enough force to detonate and explode sending the now remains of the glorious commissar around the battlefield and merging parts and gore with the tank he was kneeling on.

Then the thunder of the demolishers cannon rang out vaporizing the grenadiers who slayed the seasoned veteran of the commissar.

The squad of krigsmen saw this all happen as they where running to get a shot at the grenadiers but they where not fast enough to get the shots off and save their leader.  The kreig troops now saw the battle was over for them and stopped and stared at the tank and the smoking debris of their old passing leader  Sgt. Muller spoke out and bowed his head with his squad now looking to him for orders

"Only in death does duty end,  he held his duty to the Imperium to the highest degree and gave up the ultimate sacrifice.  He will be welcomed into the light of the emperor with glowing light... Haltius you where one dedicated soldier although not from our precious krige your service to our regiment and the emperor will be one of glory and honour." He stated to his troopers still muffled by his mask.  slining his rifle he puts his hand to his chest in the symbol of the Aquila

"Sergent? what does this mean for us now?" asked a trooper

"Well finish the clean up work here then request to be moved back to the 165" the sergent said moving his hand in an above the head gesture, forming his men into a line formation and marching forward to clear the rest of the battlefield under Acers directions.

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #83 on: December 1, 2013, 03:45:11 AM »
"Firing!" Donaghue reported -- to nobody in particular, he realised -- and a clod of earth next to the fleeing enemy commander exploded like a miniature volcano. The traitor stumbled and went down, pelted by flaming mud, his clothes and skin burning. Amazingly, the traitor still had his wits about him and what Donaghue initially mistook for agonised writhing became a controlled, almost practiced roll back and forth as he extinguished himself.

"Holy amphetamine parrot," Donaghue swore.

"I saw," Fallon remarked. "How the frak did he--"

"No idea."

Donaghue zoomed in on the commander. "He looks like he's just been to hell and come back again. The frak are we dealing with here? And he's still going!"

"Not for much longer," Fallon pointed out, seconds before the raucous bellowing of several angry Ogryns met Donaghue's ears.

"Come on then!" Madigan called, taunting the flame gunner. "Grow some beslubbering balls and come get me!"

"Your will. Is. Insignificant," the traitor hissed through his rebreather. "You claw. At threadbare hopes. To survive. And fling. Meaningless. Insults."

Madigan threw herself backwards as the traitor fired again and set fire to the patch of earth where she'd been standing. Rolling to her feet, she snapped off a couple of shots from her laspistol. One pinged off the enemy soldier's helmet and he faltered.

"There you go again with all that bullamphetamine parrot your demagogue's spouting," Madigan sneered.

"Do. Not. Resist. The. Call."

Madigan fired again, taking the flame gunner in the leg. He stumbled as his armour's kneepad was blasted away, the joint itself twisting sharply, painfully.

"Those. Who answer. Will know. Freedom. And joy," the traitor growled through gritted teeth. "Resist. And. You will know. Ignominy. As the Sheep do."

"Just shut the beslubber up already!" Madigan snarled, levelling her laspistol at the flame gunner's exposed fuel tanks. Before she could pull the trigger, the loud report of a bolt pistol met her ears and a split-second later the tank ruptured and exploded, catapulting what was left of the traitor face-first into the ground a few metres from Madigan's feet.

She looked up and saw Haltius kneeling on top of Thantos' Demolisher, his bolt pistol pointing at where the traitor had been.

"I owe you--"

Madigan was interrupted by the quiet cough of a grenade launcher, followed by an explosion as a krak grenade caught Haltius in the chest. She'd wanted to shout a warning, but she supposed she wasn't to know where the enemy grenadiers even were, never mind who they were firing at.

The Demolisher finally opened fire, taking aim at the enemy soldiers and annihilating them at point-blank range, almost as an act of retribution for Haltius' demise. The Commissar's remains flopped ungracefully from the tank's turret and onto the ground.

Madigan looked over at where Haltius' corpse had landed.

"Well, amphetamine parrot."

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #84 on: December 2, 2013, 07:19:09 PM »
“RRRAAARGHH!” Oxnard's blood was singing, as the fury of battle flooded his mind. Gone were the Servy-Doors. Blood had spilled. The Bad Man was staggering towards the guys that had shot at him earlier. He couldn't understand why they were chained up, but he was happy that he wouldn't have to chase them down after he was done with the Bad Man. Time seemed to slow, as he brought his Rippa to bear on the Bad Man.

Acer was shouting at him, “Leave him alive, for the love of the Emperor! I want him ALIVE!” [ Keep him alive order: Success! ]

Oxnard slowed, and brought his fist up in a halting gesture and bellowed his frustration. He shot what would normally be considered a murderous glare at Acer.  His clansmen pulled up, clearly confused. Oxnard threw his Rippa to the ground, hard enough to spark on a chunk of the broken building.

“I'll take him alive, Colonel, but I don't like it!” He shouted. Oxnard cracked his knuckles, as he advanced on the Bad Man.

Suddenly, a blaze of heat and light incinerated the Commandant. Lugg shielded his eyes, stepping between Acer and the attack just as Padia did the same. They would have been standing shoulder to shoulder, if his shoulder was about a foot lower. Instead, her bony shoulder was pressing into his ribs.

He gave her a gentle press with his ribs, and she poked him in the stomach. No way she'd let me be the only one in the way. Lugg smiled to himself, as he scanned the area for further threats.

She didn't have nearly enough meat on her bones, for his taste, but he doubted that any woman born off world [Catachan] would meet his tastes. Not that he'd ever see that again. Regardless, she was more than capable as a bodyguard for his friend. An absolutely wicked sense of humour. If she put on about 30 or 40 lbs, he'd be right jealous of Acer...

The poking repeated, and he looked down at Padia's horrified face. She pointed at the Commandant's body, and Lugg realized that he wasn't looking at a corpse, but at a smoking and charred person that was rolling to put out the flames that were consuming him. Lugg's jaw dropped open. It wasn't often that Guardsmen saw something that fazed them, but watching a man calmly put himself out, without screaming or hysterics, after being hit with a Melta Cannon !?! He heard more than one of the crew lose their breakfast on the grass. Lugg could only shake his head and blink his eyes.

“Uhhh, Ace?” Lugg put his big, meaty hand on Acer's bionic shoulder. “That crazy bastard may just be the toughest mother beslubberer I've ever met, and I know a guy that once shot his own arm off. I... uh... I don't think you need to worry about taking him alive.”

The Commandant finished putting out the flames, and then he dragged himself to his knees.

The pain was like a living thing that inhabited his body. It moved around, seeming to focus on one place before moving to another, while somehow leaving searing suffering everywhere. Even when he had overcome himself, he had not known such agony as he did now. He had thought he had known his limit, but now he found that he was so much more than he'd once thought.

The Mutant was dumbstruck. It could have crushed him like an insect, but instead it's feeble mind could not understand the majesty of his presence. 

The Will is the truth, the way, and the life! Look upon me, and fear! Fear, for you know not the power within yourself, that exists within all men!” The Commandant made his way, shakily, to his feet. The Guardsmen in front of him raised their weapons, and The Colonel put his hand out, halting them, as he tried in vain to come to grips with what he was seeing.

“You can be as I am. You can overcome yourself! Your limitations, your fear, everything that binds you to a lesser life!” The Commandant stumbled slightly, as he pressed towards The Sheep.  He was fairly sure that his left heel bone was scraping through the dirt, since he couldn't lift his foot off the ground.

“A building dropped around me! I've been shot, and suffered the searing kiss of a dying sun. Still I seek to be your benefactor! You need only submit to The Will, so that you might be reborn, and overcome your own weakness...”

The heretic's incessant spouting of filth finally roused Acer from his stunned silence. “Your blasphemy ends, traitor! Your army is broken, and you teeter on the verge of death. Recant your false ways, provide us information, and then pray to the Emperor for forgiveness. If you do this, I'll ensure you are given a quick, clean death. Deny this demand, and you'll be handed to the Commissariat, and you'll never know death so long as they think you have information. While they don't often show it, they have incredible imaginations when it comes to believing you have information.” Acer let that hang in the air for a moment, hoping the madman would see reason. “They're rather inventive when it comes to extracting that information, I've seen. Save your soul. Recant! and seek salvation in the true savior of humanity, the Holy Emperor!”

The heretic began laughing derisively, ending in a hacking cough. Acer thought he could see pieces of the Commandant flying from his mouth as he did so. The Commandant began shaking his head no, his face showing sadness...

“Save my soul? My soul is my own. It belongs to no other. I shall enter the afterlife, and together with the faithful we shall continue to survive. Someday, The Will will join us, and shelter us as the Emperor once did for his faithful.” The Commandant was truly saddened that the willful Colonel would not see reason. “I offer you this last chance. Join us! Learn to live without fear, knowing that you are your own master. Or suffer the same fate as The Sheep."

The Commandant slipped his bolt pistol from it's holster, and began firing into the screaming mass of The Sheep. Maybe a demonstration will convince them. It was a slim hope, but The Commandant did not wish to have to kill the Ambrasians...

As the Bad Man suddenly raised a pistol and began firing, Oxnard surged forward, to protect the Colonel and the soldiers with him. He tackled the Bad Man, and some of his skin peeled off as they wrestled to the ground. The Bad Man tried to pull his sword from it's sheath, but it slipped from his hand, taking a layer of skin with it.

Another of his clansmen helped Oxnard form a cage of sorts, around the Bad Man's body. The Bad Man was screaming nonsense about someone named Will and how Will was going to make things better for everyone. That didn't make any sense to Oxnard. If Will could make things so great, why didn't he just kill the Bad Man and tell everyone else to do what the Comzar said? That always seemed to make Oxnard happy.

“We got him, Sir!” Oxnard smiled, while the Bad Man pounded his fists into Oxnard. He sure seemed pointy! Oxnard giggled a little bit. “Can we let him up now, Colonel? He's starting to tickle me!” His clansman was already laughing at the wee one.

Mission debriefing to follow...

Post Merge: December  4, 2013, 07:09:22 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Mission Debriefing

Primary Objective – Secure the Bunkers: Failed

Failure to secure the Bunkers will mean that the Ambrasians will not benefit from a 25% increase to their army size, as the additional resources are required to secure the area from counter attack.

Secondary Objective – Route All Enemy Forces: Success!

Routing the enemy forces grants a 10% bonus to the Ambrasians in the next mission. Hunter teams that would have been needed to hunt down the remnants can instead be dedicated to battle!

Tertiary Objective – Destroy the Bunkers: Success!

If we can't have it, neither can they! Had the bunkers survived, but remained unoccupied by the Ambrasians, the enemy would have enjoyed a 10% bonus to their army size in the next battle. Unsecured bunkers would have allowed the Ivalyan infiltrators to gain valuable intel on the Ambrasian movements, allowing greater coordination of their forces.

Secret Objective: We, The People... - Success!

Enslaved soldier units survive at half strength or more. Score of 2 / 3.

The good will of the populace means that Gorilla forces will support the actions of the Ambrasians. Enemy reserves suffer -1 to arrival rolls. In the 3rd mission, Guerilla forces may join the Ambrasians on the field of battle.

Secret Objective: I Want Him Alive!

Capture The Commandant alive: Score 1/1.

The location of a “secret” objective in Mission 3 will be known on a certain roll... as yet unknown factors may make that roll easier or more difficult... it's a super-secret objective!
« Last Edit: December 4, 2013, 07:09:22 PM by GreatBigTree »