News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000pt Kharadron Overlord List (Barak Mhornar)  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
2000pt Kharadron Overlord List (Barak Mhornar)
« on: November 22, 2017, 05:33:03 PM »
This list is the result of my experiences playing against Stormcast.  I’m set on the models.  It’s just the load out I’m not sure about, so any help with that would be great.  :)

Admiral with Gattlesson’s Endless Repeater.  Opportunistic Privateers trait.

Atherkhemist

Edrinmaster

Navigator

10 arkanauht fighters with volley gun, light sky hook and sky pike

10 arkanauht fighters with volley gun, light sky hook and sky pike

10 thunderers with 2 mortars, 2 decksweepers and 2 cannons. 

6 skywardens with drill cannon and volley gun

3 edrinriggers

Ironclad with edrinwork

Frigate

I’m probably going to pick the last word as my edrinwork.  The only question is, which ship to put it on?  I’m actually thinking of putting it on the frigate to be honest.  Those things need all the help they can get.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: 2000pt Kharadron Overlord List (Barak Mhornar)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 10:31:33 PM »
First off, I gotta say that Barak Mhornar has the worst unique footnote. I see no reason why you'd ever want to charge in the hero phase. Charge and fight, sure, but just charging is pretty lame lol.

Although, running and shooting turn 1 is really nice. I'd recommend the extra footnote 'There's no trading with some people', so you can get a few more extra mortal wounds on a character or unit to finish it off!

About the boats, they are not worth their points if you think of them for their firepower alone. You pay for their transport capacity, and the ability to limit your armies drops, which is really powerful.

Also, do you have any units not listed here?

I kind of wish your skywardens were also Endrinriggers, as skywardens are so overshadowed by how much better Endrinriggers are lol. But, they are a cheaper platform for the special weapons.

Your army is illegal, as you don't have three battline units, so you'd need a third unit of Arkanaught Company to make the army legal for 2000pts.

The last word is phenominal, I'd probably put it on the boat with the best gun. An Ironclad with the super volley gun and last word is really nice lol.

I'd also consider not taking the Endless Repeater, and giving the Aeither-Kemist the Athershock Earbuster. If your opponents units are not immune to battleshock, you can focus fire on a unit, blast them with the earbuster and then they'll loose extra models in the battleshock phase. Super deadly.

I'd also consider splitting the Thunderers into two units, just for ability to control objectives. It's more drops, buy you could always drop them all into one of the Skyvessels.

For making points for the third Arkanought Company, I'd probably drop the Edrinmaster or Navigator. Definitely the Endrinmaster first. I think you have too many points spent on characters, and I don't see the Endrinmaster or Navigator helping too much.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 08:28:20 AM »
First off, I gotta say that Barak Mhornar has the worst unique footnote. I see no reason why you'd ever want to charge in the hero phase. Charge and fight, sure, but just charging is pretty lame lol.

True, but they do have a good ability and the best Command Ability out of all of them.  A twin linked shooting bubble?  Yes please!  8)

Although, running and shooting turn 1 is really nice. I'd recommend the extra footnote 'There's no trading with some people', so you can get a few more extra mortal wounds on a character or unit to finish it off!

Way ahead of you! ;)

About the boats, they are not worth their points if you think of them for their firepower alone. You pay for their transport capacity, and the ability to limit your armies drops, which is really powerful.

Also, do you have any units not listed here?

I kind of wish your skywardens were also Endrinriggers, as skywardens are so overshadowed by how much better Endrinriggers are lol. But, they are a cheaper platform for the special weapons.

I now have everything listed here, although some of them aren't assembled yet.  And I would be taking more Endrinriggers but those extra 20pts add up!

Your army is illegal, as you don't have three battline units, so you'd need a third unit of Arkanaught Company to make the army legal for 2000pts.

I just realized this.  :-[

The last word is phenominal, I'd probably put it on the boat with the best gun. An Ironclad with the super volley gun and last word is really nice lol.

I'd also consider not taking the Endless Repeater, and giving the Aeither-Kemist the Athershock Earbuster. If your opponents units are not immune to battleshock, you can focus fire on a unit, blast them with the earbuster and then they'll loose extra models in the battleshock phase. Super deadly.

Whilst the earbuster would be deadly on most, my opponents force is usually immune to battleshock  The Last Word however is tried and tested in my book.

I'd also consider splitting the Thunderers into two units, just for ability to control objectives. It's more drops, buy you could always drop them all into one of the Skyvessels.

I had planned to make them objective campers yes.  I've been using a unit of 5 a lot and I find it too fragile and lacking in firepower to be useful.  However, I do have terrible dice rolls so, maybe it's just me.

For making points for the third Arkanought Company, I'd probably drop the Edrinmaster or Navigator. Definitely the Endrinmaster first. I think you have too many points spent on characters, and I don't see the Endrinmaster or Navigator helping too much.

You're probably going to find this insane, but I was thinking of dropping the Navigator to pay for the other arkanuaht company...and the khemist to pay for an extra 3 endrinriggers.  I've found from experience that the 'riggers are amazing, but they draw a lot of attention and therefore don't survive long.  However the Khemist, while good, struggles to kill Stormcast with his weapon (they still get a save and soak up the wounds), and his booster ability only does a little bit to help out.  If I was playing as Barak Urbaz I'd definitely keep the Khemist.

If you're wondering why I'd keep the Endrinmaster, it's because I need to keep the Ironclad afloat.  After the Endrinriggers, it's the one unit my opponent fears.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 08:41:02 AM by Calamity »

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 08:01:12 AM »
You don't want the Kehmist to boost the weapons of your dudes? Endrinriggers with their chainsaw's boosted with an extra attacks are a terribly deadly thing to behold. I cannot imagine too much that can withstand that.

I can see the stormcasts being immune to battleshock to be an issue. Is this because of the Lord Celestant on Dracoth? As if you kill him, then with the earbuster can help deal with the mulit-wound units.

I just don't see the Endrinrigger being worth his cost, if all he is doing is repairing d3 wounds a turn. At least the Khemist is a force multiplier, and a great recipiant for the earbuster.

What sort of stormcast list do you play against?

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 12:14:54 PM »
OK, you’ve convinced me! I’ll ditch the endrinmaster and take a khemist instead.  ;D

It is the Dracoth Lord that makes him immune to battleshock.  However, killing it is easier said than done.  Especially with my dice rolling.  :P

And the Stormcast my opponent uses is that battalion that lets Judicators teleport Palidins with other bonuses.  It’s got a few units of judicators and liberators too, along with those damn dracoths.  Plus, with the terrain heavy board we play on, if he takes a Knight Heraldor as he often does, I’m in deep trouble.  :o

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 12:44:02 PM »
I'm almost thinking you'd be better off taking Barrak-Zilfin. Take the Aethersperic Endrins on your ironclad, and then the fleetmaster command trait.

You can then load up everything you can in your two boats and then drop the ironclad down where yo want, unload and kill his character, and the Frigate can re-deploy after your opponent sets up. Besides those two boats, you'll only have one or two other units to actually deploy and thus almost guaranteed to choose who gets first turn, and give it to your opponent.

There's always a breeze if you look for it, is an extremely good defensive footnote for your Ironclad, if you do get stuck a little too close for comfort.

Superlative Sailors will also help the Ironclad too, due to how many wounds it has. On average, it gives the model 2-3 more wounds (statistically).
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 06:57:03 AM »
Not a bad suggestion.  To be honest, I mostly take Barak Mhornar for fluff reasons, because they’re the ones I see as mostly likely to fight other armies of order.  But I’ll look into Barak Zilfin.

The game’s tonight by the way.  Wish me luck!

Offline Captain Krash

• Yarrick's biographer
  • Captain Krash
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 04:25:06 PM »
How did the battle go?

Krash
Incantation of Purity
May my flesh, blood, and bones stay pure,
May my holy aura repel the unclean,
And may I stay true to the Imperial Creed
- The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer

Yarrick's biographer

url="http://www.templecon.org/"][/url

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 05:27:38 PM »
How did the battle go?

Krash

I lost that battle, but since then I won using this list:

Arkanauht Admiral with gattlessons endless repeater

Atherkhemist

3 Arkanauht Companies (each with 10 men and each kind of special weapon)

3 Endrinrigger units (each with 3 men, no specials)

Ironclad with great sky cannon and the last word

2 frigates with heavy sky cannons

It was a treasure hunt.  Very close.  My opponent found the treasure but I managed to take it off him.  But he very nearly took it back in the last turn.  In the end I literally had only one extra model around it.    That's how close it was.

At the end of the game I only had the 3 ships, the khemist and 3 arkanauht fighters left, whilst he only had 5 chaos knights and a severely wounded demon prince (who had actually died before but was brought back as reinforcements).  Really close game.

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 06:41:15 PM »
I really like that list.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 01:24:03 PM »
I really like that list.

Thanks!  It is a simple straight forward one to use.

I should point out too, that the previous one I used (the one that started this thread) was defeated in only 3 turns.  The mission was ‘invasion’, and if in that scenario the enemy captures your objective you lose instantly. 

I had mine on top of a tall building and well guarded with a frigate and embarked arkanauht company, but my opponent cast the winds of change on the ship and blew it up.  Then the demon prince he had (which had been annoyingly staying out of range of my guns) swooped in and routed the company.  That captured the objective and cost me the game.

It was especially annoying because until then I had it in the bag.  I was doing so well my opponent actually considered quitting after turn 1.

I lost the game on account of losing the initiative.  One dice roll.  :P
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:28:47 PM by Calamity »