News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 'Ard Boy List.  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
'Ard Boy List.
« on: September 10, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
I read skeets post in the monthly discussion and figured I just had to try it out.  I built a list around it here at work, and I'm thinking of playing it this weekend.  Wanted to get some feedback on it.

HQ
Big Mek Ironnutz (bruna, kff, eavy armor, squig, bp)

Mad Dok Grotsnik

ELITE
9 Nobs (upg Painboy, 2 pk's, 2 bc's, bp, waagh banner, a few kombi's to help wound allocate)

Snikrot and 5 commando's with two burnas

10 Lootas atop a Big Squiggoth

TROOPS
18 'ard boys with Nob(pk, bp) in the "Orkbulance" battlewagon (rolla, red, grot, plates, plank, 4 shootas)

19 grotz w/ a runt

19 grotz w/ a runt

FAST
Green Baron

HEAVY
3 Kans with rokkits.

Oh, and all non vehicles have cybork.  Comes to just under 2k points.  Not sure if it's that comptetive, but I know I'll enjoy running it.  Baron will make best possible turbo first turn vehicle assault, grots will be in reserve and run behind everything.  Truck, BW and Kans will form a wedge moving towards enemy.  Big Squig has tough 6, 4 wounds and 5+ invulne thanks to mad dok, so he will be my firing platform.  He is tall so the lootas will have LOS for most of the board.

My biggest fear is that at a 2k pt range, I only have three troop choices, and two of which are pretty weedy.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: 'Ard Boy List.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 01:50:15 PM »
Looks like a fine list and you should have fun, but (there is always a but) here are a few suggestions.

drop the nob squad and take 5 MaNs with a truck with plank (red paint and ram are also required)

This will be your big nasty kill squad, great for monoliths, landraiders, and so on, have them be with the mad doc so that they are fearless and with cybork and FNP they should last quite a while.

Is the sqiggoth going to act as a BW? I was under the impression they were only used in Apoc games.
I don't know the points of a squiggoth but it may be about the same as a BW with death roller, in which case I suggest you drop the lootas and put burna boys in there and run down your enemy. It is a real hoot when you roll up next to a squad of anything lay the flame template and then multiply the hits by 12 (or 15). It is great for getting rid of even large squads of necrons and blood claws.

However if you are set on lootas then you can use the BW/squiggoth as positionable cover, in which case you may want to add a mek with mega blaster for dreadnought killing, as you are almost guaranteed a SM drop pod with dreadnought to come pay a visit. (at least at my local it seems to be a popular tactic) so the mega blaster does good at killing dreds if he doesn't melt himself.

So let us know how it turns out,

Happy hunting
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 02:34:14 PM »
The squiggoth is a MC with a grot kannon basically.  He's toughness 6, with 4 wounds, but...he can transport up to ten.  I figure with the mad dok giving him a 5+ invulne he would be a good firebase for the lootas.  That way the dred would have to kill him first and then the lootas.  But yeah, a mek with kmb is definately a possibility.  Although, I might just charge the dread with the squiggoth proper, he's str 6 and monstrous, 3 attacks on charge so I might crack it, who knows. 

Yeah, he's pretty much an apoc game troop.  I assume he's a heavy slot, I don't have the apoc book.  I was just reading him out of the IA8 book.  He's decent sized, and could offer a cover save, but he's basically a living meat shield for the lootas. 

Two trucks with five nobs each would be nice.  And since I only need to upgrade to one painboy with mad dok as an HQ I might do that.  I kinda wanted the dok to go with the hard boyz though.  Ard boyz with cybork, feel no pain and fearless just sounded sweet.  Was thinking of making it a 30 boy version and dropping the bw, but 10 ard boys with cybork, was worth a bw and deffrolla so I decided to give them a chance.  I figure if they make it halfway before the bw is cracked, then they will def make it the rest of the way. 

Honestly about the squiggoth though, I'm not sure if it's legal to field him.  I don't know what slot he's supposed to take.  I know I made a pretty decent model of one though, and I want to use him. My local game doesn't mind, and I dont' have a LGS to attempt to get denied to use him.

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 11:22:44 PM »
Well I don't have that page of IA 8, but I'd imagine that it didn't change too much from the rules Forgeworld put out in Imperial Armor Apocalypse where the Big Squiggoth was the same price as a Wartrakk with Rokkits, Red paint and Riggers with a trans cap of 10 and 4 wounds.  If anything maybe it got a price hike.

Anyway I think it is an awesome idea to put some Lootas atop one of those bad boys, although there is no where in the Main rulebook or Apoc rulebook (or Imperial Armor Apoc) that suggests that units transported can fire if the Squiggoth moves.  The only thing it states is that you are to treat the Squiggoth as an Open Topped transport, which implies that Lootas would not be able to fire, but there is no clarity on the issue.

At first I didn't think that a Squiggoth could be Cyborked as its, well a Squiggoth!  I was so sure that Grotsnikk's rule applied only to Infantry to which I only a moment ago discovered was incorrect (Cybork Stormboyz anyone?  nah too pricy), but Cyborked Squiggoths... ah my heart begins to leap at the conversion possibilites.  I need to find some Dinosaurs to konvert into CyberSquiggoths now.

Like Skeetergod I too advice the Megas over the Nob mob, although if you are intent on having the Nobz you really have to reshuffle some points, probably by cutting the Kommandos (which at such a small unit size is unlikely to do much damage before either annihilated or sent running off the board).

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard