News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Help With 'Ard Boyz List  (Read 1494 times)

Offline kalivann

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Help With 'Ard Boyz List
« on: July 30, 2011, 11:36:40 PM »
Hey guys, with 'Ard boyz coming up (Aug. 13?) I was preparing my list.

So Far it looks like this was hoping for suggestions.
Most of the armies I will be facing will be Space Marines or MEQ armies such as Grey Knights and for sure there will be a gunline cheestastic IG tank list.
Also Forgeworld is allowed.

HQ:
Bray'arth Ashmantle in drop pod

Vulcan H'stan

Troops

x2       10 man Tactical Marines
           Melta gun, Multi-melta
           Sgt. with combi flamer and power fist
           Rhino

Tactical Squad
           Melta gun, Plasma Cannon (combat squad for heavy weapon)
           Sgt. with combi flamer and meltagun
           Rhino (with melta gun and sgt combat squad)

Elite:

5 man Sternguard veteran squad with 5 multi-meltas sgt with powerfist in drop pod

Venerable Dreadnought with plasma cannon and CC weapon

5 man SS TH terminators in Land raider crusader

Fast attack

Land speed Squad (3)

2x  heavy flamers

3x multi-meltas

Heavy support ( this is where im iffy it is a great marine killer squad but it is price at around 315 points)

Space Marine Devastator Squad

3x Plasma Cannons   

1x Laz Cannon

4 other marines

The Tournament if you don't know is 2500 points.

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
Re: Help With 'Ard Boyz List
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 12:27:08 AM »
I don't play marines, but in this humble statement, I might suggest replacing the devastators, as they are not all that more powerful vs. infantry+vehicles than other units mainly because you have Vulkan to boost other weapons.

If you need to kill large marine units, why not pump up the sternguard to 10 models (for 125pts) and then use the last 190pts to get more speeders or attack bikes? Or another drop pod to have 2 first turn drops (which would let those 2 dropped units work with each other tactically).

Im just suggesting this because those sternguard look rather small for their points (210pts for 5 models+pod) and that you might want to buff them to make more use out of them. Also sternguard could do the job of the devastators through shooting marines, putting down massed wounds on infantry, and they can kill tanks. 2 More land speeders could help kill tanks even more so.

I always shoot land speeders down first thing when I face marines, as they scare the hell out of me, and I know that if I ever faced someone who used more than 1 unit of them, I'd be pretty scared myself; strangely though, I've only ever faced people who used a single unit of land speeders.

Offline Styranimon

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: August 1, 2011, 01:37:34 PM »
Hello kalivann!

I suggest just as enlargingcloud to drop these Devastators, they are far too expensive, I think.

About the Sternguards, multi-meltas aren't a good option, since they're not relentless. So when you've dropped down, the opponent got a whole round to kill them, before you can use 'em!
So I would pump the squad up to 7-8 man, get a Power Fist, and combi-weapons. If you want melta, throw in 5 combi-meltas.

Vulkan He'stan makes a great combo in this list with the Thunder Hammers and you Speeders.

Also, I would try to fit in some more anti-tank. If you meet Imperial Guard-mech, at 2500 points(!), there will be lots and lots and LOTS of tanks. So like enlargingcloud said, for the rest of the Devastator points, maybe more Speeders or Bikes? For those 190 points left you can(almost) affor 2 x 2 Attack Bikes with Multi-meltas. That's nasty, and not easy to kill, if you turbo-boost with them the first round, and then shoot!

Hope this helps!

/Simon
If you get happy of small things, you've got much to be happy for!

Offline Azash76

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: August 2, 2011, 01:27:31 AM »
Hey man don't want to rain on your parade but I would remove Bray'arth Ashmantle from the list.

Here is why. Copied and pasted from the 2011 Ard Boyz rules -
"Forge World models are permitted in the tournament, but they can only be used to represent models from existing Codex list. No Forge World rules are allowed."

So you may want to rethink your list if that was a large factor.

Offline kalivann

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: August 4, 2011, 11:17:06 AM »
Opps you guys are right i meant to say combi-meltas, also im not sure about forgeworld my local shopkeep who will be running the first round of hard boys told me it would be fine using Bray Arth so im not sure what to think. also the attack bike idea seems good ill proxy and give it a try.

Offline Azash76

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: August 5, 2011, 09:24:55 PM »
Opps you guys are right i meant to say combi-meltas, also im not sure about forgeworld my local shopkeep who will be running the first round of hard boys told me it would be fine using Bray Arth so im not sure what to think. also the attack bike idea seems good ill proxy and give it a try.

Just to be devil's advocate here. It's printed in the Ard' Boyz rules. So let's say for example you and I lined up on first round. I would point out that you can't use that model with those rules and thus he doesn't fit force org as an elite since there are no standard codex HQ dreads so you have to remove the model from the table. Shopkeep aside GW prints the rules he has to run the tournament by.

I wouldn't give your opponent an instant kill before deployment is over.

Offline kalivann

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: August 7, 2011, 05:01:31 PM »
Ok I take your word for it, what then, would you suggest be put in his place for an hq?

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
« Reply #7 on: August 8, 2011, 08:45:49 AM »
Put in a Librarian with Null Zone and Avenger.

Drop the Devastators. 3 Predators are cheaper, more durable, and will do more damage than a triple plasma cannon Dev squad. Not to mention provide more armor saturation. Which you desperately need in this list.

Make the dreadnought a regular dread. Drop the plasma cannon for a basic multimelta or turn it into a rifleman dread.

Take extra points and bump the Sternguard. They are amazing. Also, you may want to put them in a Rhino or Razorback instead of a drop pod. Drop Pods will separate them from the rest of your army and give the enemy easy kill/victory points. They need support from other units. Drop a few of the combi-meltas from this unit. You shouldn't need more than 3. You'll probably only get to use them once anyway.

If you are already planning to combat squad your units then spend the extra points to make those Rhinos into Razorbacks. You won't need the extra cargo space and a few extra heavy bolters will provide a nice amount of covering fire.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2011, 08:47:07 AM by Lord Alliben »